GUILTY Australia - E. Fremantle, WA, AsianFem, in suitcase in river, Jul'16 - Annabelle Chen

Bo, Thanks for your kind words.
My Post followed, when you expressed your love for your Mum.
She is a lucky lady, and I am sure, she knows.:):):)
Bo, I also know of your sad background, mentioned in past posts.
I feel for you.
Perhaps there are many on websleuths, with sad histories, trying to help, 'those that are unable', for justice.
Look at the many lovely animal stories we hear of :elephants, cats bringing up baby squirrels, lions and their handlers years later, etc, etc.
and then these horrid humans!!!!!

Yes, for all the worst of us, there are the very best of us.

Body in suitcase murder trial: Victim Annabelle Chen 'controlling, abusive', court told
PerthNow · 3 hours ago
Elle FarcicPerthNow
August 17, 2018 4:01PM
Ms Wan’s close friend, Stephen Tran, told the court the accused confided in him about her family and told him Ms Chen could be demanding, controlling and psychologically abusive.

He said Ms Chen expected Ms Wan to call or text her almost every day at 6pm and said on one occasion when she did not text back Ms Chen called the police.
Mr Tran said Ms Wan told him she used to lock herself in her room when she lived in Perth to avoid her mother’s temper and said Ms Chen once slid a knife under her daughter’s door in a threatening manner when that happened.

Ms Wan allegedly spent three days in her room waiting for her mother to calm down.

Mr Tran gave evidence Ms Wan told him her mother once pretended to swerve towards a tree when she was driving to gain emotional control over her during an argument.

Mr Tran met Ms Wan in 2011 after she moved to Melbourne to study and said they were so close they would speak in person or over the phone every day.

He never met or spoke to Ms Chen and has never been to the Mosman Park home where she was allegedly killed.

In his statement to police in 2016, Mr Tran said he thought Ms Wan was emotionally scared of her mother.

“I would say Tiffany was scared of her mother, not in a physical way but on an emotional level,” he said.

But giving evidence in court yesterday, he said scared was not an appropriate term to describe Ms Wan’s feelings.

“I think she’s not scared but she prioritised her mother’s emotional wellbeing over everything else,” he said.

“I think she would try to do everything she could to try to avoid her mother being unhappy or upset.”

Mr Tran described Ms Wan as a smart and caring person and said he had never seen her act aggressively towards a living creature.

He said Ms Wan told him she was promised a large sum of money from her mother when she finished her degree.

Ms Wan was allegedly worried about her father’s financial position and planned to use some of the money to help him.

The court has previously heard Ms Chen did not know her daughter and former husband had rekindled their relationship and had been in contact for years.

Mr Tran said Ms Wan travelled to Perth in mid-2016 to tell her mother about the relationship and talk to her about the fact she wanted to help her father.

The trial continues.

Last edited:
Body in suitcase murder victim 'psychologically abusive' to daughter
Phil Hickey17 August 2018 — 2:26pm
A close university friend of Ms Wan's - Stephen Tran - gave evidence to the court via video link that he had told police in a statement that Ms Wan was somewhat "scared" emotionally of her mother.

Mr Tran also said Ms Wan had told him Ms Chen had been at times "psychologically abusive" towards her.

The court was told as a child Ms Wan would sometimes lock herself in her bedroom for up to four days in an effort to "escape her mother's temper".
Ms Chen was said to have once slid a knife under the door on one of these occasions.

The court was told on another occasion Ms Chen pretended to swerve her car towards a tree while Ms Wan was in the vehicle.

In 2011 Ms Wan relocated to Melbourne to go to university.

Mr Tran said Ms Wan had moved to Melbourne to "get away" from her mother.

The court heard when Ms Wan initially moved to Melbourne, her mother expected to hear from her at 6pm every night.

Ms Chen was known to call the police if she did not hear from her daughter at the specified time.

Mr Tran said the relationship had "definitely" improved between the pair after Ms Wan had been in Melbourne for a few years.

The court heard Ms Wan had been promised a large sum of money by her mother if she finished her masters degree at university.

She planned to use some of that money, the court was told, to help her father, whom Ms Wan believed was struggling financially.

Ms Wan's step sister also gave brief evidence via video link on Friday.

The woman - whose name has been suppressed - is Mr Ban's biological daughter.

The woman told the court after Ms Chen and her father separated she had a "non existent" relationship with her step mother, up until the point she graduated from a Perth university in 2006/07.

Ms Wan wept in court on Friday as her step sister testified. Mr Ban showed no emotion.

Earlier this week the court heard Ms Chen had sustained 25 blunt-force injuries to her head and face, resulting in a fractured skull.

Prosecutors allege both Mr Ban and Ms Wan acted together in the murder of Ms Chen.

The trial before Justice Joe McGrath continues.

https://www.watoday.com.au/wrong-skin

Last edited:

"The daughter of a woman whose body was found stuffed in a suitcase in Perth's Swan River gave detectives information about a paperweight being the possible murder weapon, a court has heard."
As the daughter gave this info, I would think she is trying to implicate her father! (to protect herself).:(
It would be difficult to prove, who used the weapon: hope kept as a souvenir, and found later.:D

Email
Crying ex-husband tells court in body-in-suitcase trial how he helped to dispose of Annabelle Chen's body
By Joanna Menagh
Updated August 23, 2018 20:02:59
A Singaporean man has taken the stand in his Supreme Court murder trial and admitted dumping his ex-wife's body in Perth's Swan River but claimed his daughter was responsible for the death.
In his evidence, Mr Ban claimed he only discovered that his ex-wife was dead when he arrived in Perth from Singapore on June 30, 2016 and his daughter told him Ms Chen's body was in the recycling bin near the laundry.

He testified Ms Wan told him that two days earlier there had been a "big dispute" with her mother and that she had shouted and thrown things, including a paperweight, at Ms Wan.

Mr Ban said his daughter claimed she then threw "things back" at her mother who was hit in the head and body and was bleeding from her head.

He said Ms Wan told him she tried to help her mother but "she was still angry" and told her to "get out" of the room.

"She said the next morning she went back into the room and saw her mother lying … on the bed," he told the court.

"The injury was more extensive than she thought ... she used her fingers to feel the nose but there was no breathing."

Mr Ban said his daughter was "shivering and crying" as she told him what happened and he shouted at her "Your mother die?"

"I asked her why don't you call the ambulance and report it to police and she say she didn't know that the injury was so extensive," he told the court.

Body in the suitcase murder Perth
WAtoday · 3 hours ago
The man accused of murdering the woman whose body was found stuffed in a suitcase in Perth's Swan River has claimed in court he'd been "dragged" into the situation by his daughter, who also stands charged with murder.
On Friday Mr Ban gave evidence in the witness box for a second day.

He was questioned at length by Ms Wan's defence lawyer Simon Freitag about his arrival in Perth on June 30, 2016 via Singapore, his conversations with his daughter both before and after his arrival and the disposal of Ms Chen's body at the Fremantle Traffic Bridge.

Mr Ban claims both he and his daughter disposed of Ms Chen's body in the Swan River, only after he was confronted with a "horrible scenario" involving an argument between his ex-wife and daughter on June 27 or 28 at her Mosman Park home, which resulted in her death.

"She (Tiffany) dragged me into this situation," Mr Ban said on Friday.

Mr Freitag put to Mr Ban in the witness stand that he "could take responsibility" for what he had done and that he had killed Ms Chen in the bedroom of her home.

"That is not true sir...I wouldn't do that," Mr Ban responded.

"I didn't kill Annabelle, that is a true fact."

Mr Freitag also suggested to Mr Ban that on the night of June 30 he had offered his daughter sleeping pills and that when she said no, he put some into her tea.

"Not true," Mr Ban said.
The court heard Mr Ban and Ms Chen had divorced around the year 2000.

A portion of Mr Ban's statement to police which made reference to their divorce and the terms they were on was read to the court on Friday.

"I would say that our relationship has been good, even after the divorce we stayed on good terms, even though she would not reconcile," the statement said.

What a load of rubbish, from both.
How can the daughter remain down stairs if she hears a major fight?
It takes a few seconds to climb the stairs!!!
Let us hope the CCTV cameras show 2 people in the rented car.
Lucky both of these liars are in prison, as they would now kill one another: so much hatred present.
It also has been reported, that Ms Chen was could be alive for up to 5 hours, after the beating.
Her family, these 2 members, were intent on letting her die.
This certainly was not an accident.
If an accident, you call an ambulance, and seek help.

Last edited:
I also don't understand, the daughter heard the fight up stairs, and did not climb the stairs.
To inflict 25 blows, would take sometime, enough time for Wan to climb the stairs.o_Oo_Oo_O
Also after this fight, she falls asleep, as Wan states, Ban drugged her.
So there is a fight, and after this, instead of checking on her mother, she ?? drinks something and 'falls asleep'!!o_O
Surely there will be an appeal.
As Wan is found not guilty (except for cover up), does that mean, she cannot be on trial again?
There must have been more to this, that has not been reported here, that we don't know about.

hmmm...The daughter was promised a large sum of money after her graduation. Did her mother change her mind? I have doubts with this verdict.

Mr Tran said Ms Wan told him her mother had promised her a large sum of money if she finished her masters degree, and that she was going to "use her mother's money to help her father out".
Body-in-suitcase murder trial told victim was 'psychologically abusive'

Anything is possible when you are in enraged.
She mentions being drugged by her father. Perhaps she drugged her mother and then....
Apparently Chen had self-defence injuries on her arms; if so, she wasn't unconscious. Still she might have been drugged to the extent that it made the assault easier.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OccasionalMallard
Back