Found Deceased IA - Mollie Tibbetts, 20, Poweshiek County, 19 Jul 2018 #30

Status
Not open for further replies.
Carried over:
Otto, I agree.

Not so fast on the issue of the clothing and LE. Otto said, "The bottom line is that if there was CCTV of Mollie at some point during her run, police would be able to say what she was wearing. They can't. Also, if there was footage, it's very likely that it would be posted if only to give the public a better idea of what Mollie looked like that day".

IMO for some reason the confusion on the clothing being worn by MT furthers some aim of LE as it is an issue that has been present from almost the first day of this case (we have seen at least 4 different descriptions of the various outfits that MT could have been wearing when she disappeared that I can think of and even so called eyewitnesses vary on description of what she was wearing). Perhaps the reason for not releasing CCTV or a more precise picture to the public is to weed out witnesses? I don't know. But it is quite presumptous IMO to draw the conclusion that LE are not able at this time to say what MT was wearing based on the limited information available to the public as of today. I think its a safer assumption at this point 3 weeks into the search to say that LE "won't" release a picture rather than "can't". Or maybe what she was wearing is for whatever reason not deemed important to the investigation? Maybe LE doesn't think its relevant for the public to know what MT looked like that day because she could be wandering around in a dress, cowboy boots and with short blond hair to take an exteme change in her look? Who knows? With the number of people working on this case I would be very surprised if they didn't know each piece of clothing that MT was wearing down the laces on her running shoes and the color of the hairband she might have used to pull back her hair. They most likely don't know what she looks like now or what she is wearing. But maybe they do? We don't know any of this information. LE has seen no reason to share any of this information with the public. I don't know why the case is being managed the way it is or why the public isn't really part of this investigation but there must be some reason.

I would suggest that based on the CCTV in Brooklyn that LE does knows what MT was wearing and for whatever reason don't believe that its in the interest of the investigation to disclose this to the public. LE has been very consistent in not releasing much in the way of substantive information to the public and I think its a good bet that 3 weeks in they are drowning in video footage and data from the digital footprint (about which we have learned NOTHING). So, I don't think there is any priority in the investigation to give the public a better idea of what MT look like that day. LE hasn't wanted the involvement of the public in anything except very specific pieces of the puzzle.

if you change the time zone on a cell phone and instead of showing 10 pm it showed say 7pm. Would a cell ping at 10pm instead of 7 PM >

Again I'm sure there are better experts here than me but I don't think it matters what time you set the 'local' device to as it wouldn't change the times of the cell towers?

I'm probably explaining this very badly, though!

I know it rained the following morning, but does anyone know what the weather conditions had been like in the days prior to her disappearance? Would there have been water in the drainage ditches? I still wonder if the phone died near pig farm because it got wet.

That is my understanding as well. The iPhone has the ability to connect to the internet, the “cloud” through cellular service, and the Fitbit works by itself, but only transmits information to its web based host when connected to a computer or working though Bluetooth with an iPhone. Someone please correct me if I am wrong.

You are spot on.

I'm no expert so please forgive any errors but as far as I can see a Fitbit is a 'dumb' device i.e any GPS signals or 'pings' will be coming from Mollie's iPhone not the Fitbit?

I imagine LE views the data as "fitbit" data as the fitbit app will use GPS (either its own or cell phone GPS) to collect and transmit GPS data back to fitbit.

Newer fitbits have integrated, stand-alone GPS tracking and don't rely on piggybacking on the wearer's mobile device's GPS. Doubtful Mollie had one of the latest, GPS built-in fitbits.

That is my understanding as well. The iPhone has the ability to connect to the internet, the “cloud” through cellular service, and the Fitbit works by itself, but only transmits information to its web based host when connected to a computer or working though Bluetooth with an iPhone. Someone please correct me if I am wrong.
Fitbit talks to the phone or computer via Bluetooth, so no phone or bluetooth connection to a computer, no fitbit data.
The newer Fitbit use the GPS in the phone, so I believe you still need the phone to make the connection to GPS satellites.

if you change the time zone on a cell phone and instead of showing 10 pm it showed say 7pm. Would a cell ping at 10pm instead of 7 PM >

on my phone time is set by the network, not on the device. so network it is connected to controls time shown. auto changes as you cross time lines too.

You know, Wednesday night is a strange night for someone to do something like this. It's in the middle of the week, people who work typically have a job to go to the next day. And Brooklyn would be a real hit or miss in terms of finding someone to abduct, I'm sure it's not full of people out running, especially in the summer. So what would drive someone to go to Brooklyn? And how would they know Wednesday would be a good day? Why Wednesday?

Idk, I watched a lot of footage of Hannah Graham all over Charlottesville, that LE had released. They were asking for the public to come forward if they had seen Hannah in any of the spots where she was seen on CCTV.
I do tend to agree that if they had footage of Mollie, they would have released it.

So on the confusion about what she was wearing. Here’s my speculation:

At first, they didn’t know if she was wearing her work clothes (shorts and red shirt) or running clothes because they didn’t have all the info in yet.

Then as they talked to eyewitnesses and got more digital data in, they narrowed down the disappearance to most likely occurring in the evening on the jog so they then released it was jogging clothes.

It’s also possible that any CCTV of her is black and white so they can’t specifically nail the color of some clothing items.

Some fitbits have built in GPS, others piggyback off of the phones GPS

Thanks, I didn't know that. I don't know which model Mollie had but that would be another bit of data to add to the phones own GPS and cell tower pings.

Just surprised the Fitbit is mentioned so much when her phone will be even more crucial and a treasure trove of info. The Fitbit is just a welcome added bonus for LE.

Carried over:

Not so fast on the issue of the clothing and LE. Otto said, "The bottom line is that if there was CCTV of Mollie at some point during her run, police would be able to say what she was wearing. They can't. Also, if there was footage, it's very likely that it would be posted if only to give the public a better idea of what Mollie looked like that day".

IMO for some reason the confusion on the clothing being worn by MT furthers some aim of LE as it is an issue that has been present from almost the first day of this case (we have seen at least 4 different descriptions of the various outfits that MT could have been wearing when she disappeared that I can think of and even so called eyewitnesses vary on description of what she was wearing). Perhaps the reason for not releasing CCTV or a more precise picture to the public is to weed out witnesses? I don't know. But it is quite presumptous IMO to draw the conclusion that LE are not able at this time to say what MT was wearing based on the limited information available to the public as of today. I think its a safer assumption at this point 3 weeks into the search to say that LE "won't" release a picture rather than "can't". Or maybe what she was wearing is for whatever reason not deemed important to the investigation? Maybe LE doesn't think its relevant for the public to know what MT looked like that day because she could be wandering around in a dress, cowboy boots and with short blond hair to take an exteme change in her look? Who knows? With the number of people working on this case I would be very surprised if they didn't know each piece of clothing that MT was wearing down the laces on her running shoes and the color of the hairband she might have used to pull back her hair. They most likely don't know what she looks like now or what she is wearing. But maybe they do? We don't know any of this information. LE has seen no reason to share any of this information with the public. I don't know why the case is being managed the way it is or why the public isn't really part of this investigation but there must be some reason.

I would suggest that based on the CCTV in Brooklyn that LE does knows what MT was wearing and for whatever reason don't believe that its in the interest of the investigation to disclose this to the public. LE has been very consistent in not releasing much in the way of substantive information to the public and I think its a good bet that 3 weeks in they are drowning in video footage and data from the digital footprint (about which we have learned NOTHING). So, I don't think there is any priority in the investigation to give the public a better idea of what MT look like that day. LE hasn't wanted the involvement of the public in anything except very specific pieces of the puzzle.

I know this was discussed last night, but she was dropped off by her brother at 5:30 the evening she disappeared.

I wonder a lot of things, as do many here.

What was she doing that day, before her brother took her home? Had she gone to work? Simple question, and there should be a simple answer- I can’t find it though!

Mollie's does not have built-in GPS.

do we know as a fact what model she has or was that decided from a pic? I have in large part just seen the fitbit talk but not really been able to absorb a whole lot of it. if from a pic that someone decided what model she could have upgraded after pic?

I went looking for any kind of community events that happen on wed. I couldn't find anything other than the Ruritan Club, but it meets on the last wed. of every month so that doesn't work. But what about women's group meetings in the area? Let's say maybe it wed because someone's wife was out of the house between the hours of let's say 7 and 10pm?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoRo