IA - Mollie Tibbetts, 20, Poweshiek County, 19 Jul 2018 *Arrest* #36

Status
Not open for further replies.
Confused. Do you have a link to who was freaked out?

The girl from Brooklyn who was Mollie's friend said she was freaked out about Mollie being missing and talked to everyone about it. She said (don't remember exact wording) something to the effect that CR didn't want to talk about it and she found that to be odd. Sorry, I don't have a link. Others here have mentioned this, maybe they posted a link?

I so get what you're saying. GRRR! And if he hit her to get her in the car and then stabbed her later, I mean, how long can a "black-out" last? Also, if he gets angry easily, as he allegedly stated, how long can one sustain that amount of rage it would take to stab someone for a time frame such as that? jmo

Your question caused me to laugh hard so thank you Zecats! I wonder if his statements were through an interpreter as in court? I sure hope so. His own uncle said he is not aware of blackouts.

I'm about 3 pages behind, so this could have been mentioned by now, but has anyone considered that someone he lived with (perhaps even the gf) tipped off police? Seeing as how this appears to have been a messy killing, I'm in the majority that someone had to notice something. If anyone would know his behavior well, it would be a longtime gf.

The coroner will surely be able to tell what instrument was used. And no way do I believe she was held somewhere before this- this points to a rage killing in the heat of the moment. It will be telling if there are many wounds.

He worked at a dairy farm, not a sugar cane plantation. Machete's aren't standard issue, and it's not likely something an employee would carry with him all the time anyway.

A folding knife makes more sense.
Lots of possibilities make sense. Lots of us have what you would probably call a “machete” to hack weeds (I call mine a “corn knife” but it’s the same thing). Hatchets and hunting knives are pretty common too, all used for everyday tasks and not unusual to find in the trunk of a “farm hand” in any capacity.

...or the smell could be written off to a dead deer, dog or other animal, if anyone had a reason to go down that road, slowly, with their windows open. Also, turkey buzzards can be so darned common as to be not noticeable. When I lived in the coutry, in southern Mississippi, there were times I had to stop for the buzzards eating road kill.

BBM
I just honk. They *usually* move. Out for a run is a different story. Suckers are scared I want their meal. They are intimidating up close.

I'm about 3 pages behind, so this could have been mentioned by now, but has anyone considered that someone he lived with (perhaps even the gf) tipped off police? Seeing as how this appears to have been a messy killing, I'm in the majority that someone had to notice something. If anyone would know his behavior well, it would be a longtime gf.
No, he was found by good old police work..seen on a homeowner's video. Another cop recognized the car as one that he had traffic stopped at one time, due to its distinct aftermarket designs on this particular car.

The coroner will surely be able to tell what instrument was used. And no way do I believe she was held somewhere before this- this points to a rage killing in the heat of the moment. It will be telling if there are many wounds.

There are "multiple" sharp force injuries, so it is very likely that this was a very violent assault and murder.

I'm not saying I believe him for a second, but alcoholics do have blackouts and do sometimes drive cars and act crazy while having them. I have personal experience with two people I knew who did both things.
Was he known to be an alcoholic? If not, then what type of blackout could he have had, if he actually had a blackout?

Right now, there doesn’t seem to be evidence of a tip off. It appears that this case was solved by identifying the vehicle that was captured on video following Mollie, and interviewing the driver.

Until I am proven wrong, I believe this man had a pattern of abducting women and killing them. Possibly a serial killer. LE stated he was calm and cooperative. So was the BTK. Cause of death just doesn’t match up with this being a spur of the moment crime. I think we will learn he had come onto Mollie before and she had rejected him. DNA tests should be done immediately to possibly match him to others who are missing or have been found murdered.

As far as his gf, she should be glad he is locked up.

Lots of possibilities make sense. Lots of us have what you would probably call a “machete” to hack weeds (I call mine a “corn knife” but it’s the same thing). Hatchets and hunting knives are pretty common too, all used for everyday tasks and not unusual to find in the trunk of a “farm hand” in any capacity.
Someone of his profile would likely have a variety of types of weapons in the car in different areas, incl. but not limited to under driver's seat, glovebox, trunk, & on him; pocket, sock even. Rope & tape wouldn't be a surprise, either. Zip ties. This is not someone like you or me. Violence is their game, so they're gonna think ahead how best to win that game. Tools of the trade handy. MOO

I'm not saying I believe him for a second, but alcoholics do have blackouts and do sometimes drive cars and act crazy while having them. I have personal experience with two people I knew who did both things.
Was he known to be an alcoholic? If not, then what type of blackout could he have had, if he actually had a blackout?
I think we can rule out alcohol related because according to his own words (per affidavit) he was lucid, lucid, lucid, then blackout, then lucid. Within a few hour time frame. I think he is claiming more of a rage or psychological blackout.

It's anyone's guess on what the truth actually is, Based on the map I am leaning towards he got her in the car either by force or talking her into it. Can't figure out the phone unless he knocked it out of her hand and broke it. I don't see him blacking out and driving past his own house so something could have happened there. And who knows when she was placed in the corn field.

Great points. I previously shot down the carwash theory, as it seemed completely reckless. But this crime itself, was incredibly reckless, so I’m definitely open to that possibility now.

One other point that your post brought to mind (and I know this has been discussed on here): For someone whose crime seems so reckless and impulsive, I think that he has definitely done something like this before...he didn’t leave a trace of evidence, he went to work the next day (would a first time offender not be shaken up and worried about being caught?), he managed to prevent the phone & Fitbit from tracking movements, he even seemingly tried to frame the hog farmer, diverting everyone’s attention early in the investigation toward someone with a locally-known history of mistreating women.

The way he characterizes it does make it sound impulsive but the execution of the crime itself looks quite sophisticated for a first timer, which is why I don’t think this is his first time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OccasionalMallard