The British Royal Family - news, views, clothes & shoes!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Something to do with being the grandchildren of a reigning monarch, putting it simply. All of the Queens grandchildren born to a son (ie William, Harry, Eugenie, Beatrice, Louise & James) can be HRH Prince/Princess but Edward & Sophie didn't want to. The Queen decreed that all of Will's children would be princes/ses and I wouldn't be surprised if Harry's baby gets the same, after all he/she WILL be the grandchild of a reigning monarch if Charles takes over.

The rules seem to chop and change and there are several members of the family, such as the Queens cousins who are Princes but don't use the title for every days use.

Here's an official list of current/living British princes and princesses in age order, not all of whom use the title:

Philip 1921 Husband of Queen Elizabeth II
Also a female-line Gt-gt-grandson of Queen Victoria Prince of Greece and Denmark from birth until renounced title 18 March 1947; Duke of Edinburgh – 1947; Prince of the United Kingdom (created by the sovereign) since 22 February 1957.

Elizabeth Alexandra Mary 1926 Daughter of George VI Held the title 'Princess Elizabeth of York' from birth, 'The Princess Elizabeth' from her father's accession in 1936, until her succession in 1952 as Queen Elizabeth II.

Edward George Nicholas Paul Patrick 1935 1st son of George Edward Alexander Edmund
& Grandson of King George V Prince of the United Kingdom from birth; Duke of Kent since 25 August 1942.

Alexandra Helen Elizabeth Olga Christabel 1936 Granddaughter of George V Daughter of Prince George, Duke of Kent.

Michael George Charles Franklin 1942 2nd son of George Edward Alexander Edmund
& Grandson of King George V Prince of the United Kingdom from birth.

Richard Alexander Walter George 1944 2nd son of Henry William Frederick Albert
& Grandson of King George V Prince of the United Kingdom from birth; Duke of Gloucester since 10 June 1974.

Charles Philip Arthur George 1948 1st son of Queen Elizabeth II Prince of the United Kingdom from birth; Duke of Cornwall and Duke of Rothesay – 1952; Prince of Wales since 26 July 1958.

Anne Elizabeth Alice Louise 1950 Daughter of Elizabeth II Held the title 'Princess Anne of Edinburgh' from birth, 'The Princess Anne' from her mother's accession, and styled 'The Princess Royal' in 1987.

Andrew Albert Christian Edward 1960 2nd son of Queen Elizabeth II Prince of the United Kingdom from birth; Duke of York since 23 July 1986.

Edward Antony Richard Louis 1964 3rd son of Queen Elizabeth II Prince of the United Kingdom from birth; Earl of Wessex since 19 June 1999.

William Arthur Philip Louis 1982 1st son of Charles Philip Arthur George
& Grandson of Queen Elizabeth II Prince of the United Kingdom from birth; Duke of Cambridge since 29 April 2011.

Henry Charles Albert David 1984 2nd son of Charles Philip Arthur George
& Grandson of Queen Elizabeth II Prince of the United Kingdom from birth; Duke of Sussex since 19 May 2018.

Beatrice Elizabeth Mary 1988 Granddaughter of Elizabeth II Daughter of Prince Andrew, Duke of York.

Eugenie Victoria Helena 1990 Granddaughter of Elizabeth II Daughter of Prince Andrew, Duke of York.

Louise Alice Elizabeth Mary 2003 Granddaughter of Elizabeth II Daughter of Prince Edward, Earl of Wessex; styled as an earl's daughter per her parents' wishes and the will of the Queen.

James Alexander Philip Theo 2007 Son of Prince Edward & Grandson of Queen Elizabeth II Styled as an earl's son per his parents' wishes and the will of the Queen.

George Alexander Louis 2013 1st son of Prince William & Gt-grandson of Queen Elizabeth II Prince of the United Kingdom from birth.

Charlotte Elizabeth Diana 2015 Great-granddaughter of Elizabeth II Daughter of Prince William, Duke of Cambridge, holds the title 'Princess Charlotte of Cambridge'.

Louis Arthur Charles 2018 2nd son of Prince William & Gt-grandson of Queen Elizabeth II Prince of the United Kingdom from birth.
Very interesting, thanks for all of the info. I wonder why Ed and Soph didn't want the titles?

Very interesting, thanks for all of the info. I wonder why Ed and Soph didn't want the titles?

I think by the time Edwards kids arrived he’d already seen all 3 of his older siblings divorce, Anne was raising Peter & Zara as normally as possible while the older brothers were constantly getting media bashed for various things. The monarchy needed a big shake up, damage limitation and to stop the backlash. I think that’s why he and Sophie “opted out” as it were.

I think by the time Edwards kids arrived he’d already seen all 3 of his older siblings divorce, Anne was raising Peter & Zara as normally as possible while the older brothers were constantly getting media bashed for various things. The monarchy needed a big shake up, damage limitation and to stop the backlash. I think that’s why he and Sophie “opted out” as it were.

At first I thought I would be really mad if I could have been a Princess but my parents opted out of it. But I think the other titles and generational wealth would have smoothed it over.

Can't believe they do this- like a horse race, or something! Lol!

But here are the odds, today...

Bookies' picks for names for Harry and Meghan's newborn
According to Fitzdares
Boys

• 2/1 Alexander
  • 3/1 Arthur
  • 6/1 Philip
  • 6/1 Albert
  • 10/1 Nicholas
  • 33/1 Alfred
  • 50/1 James
  • 100/1 Thomas
Girls

• 5/2 Alice
  • 4/1 Victoria
  • 4/1 Mary
  • 6/1 Isabella
  • 12/1 Eleanor
  • 12/1 Augusta
  • 25/1 Rachel
  • 50/1 Diana
Bookies' top picks for the name of Meghan and Harry's baby

Isabella is a name that's popular enough, but not too popular, in both the UK and USA, so I might put that on my list. Isabella Diana has a nice ring to it?

Maybe Harry would like to name a son Philip after his grandfather?

At first I thought I would be really mad if I could have been a Princess but my parents opted out of it. But I think the other titles and generational wealth would have smoothed it over.

William and Harry (and their wives) seem very close. Do you think it would be awkward if William's kids are princes and princess, and baby Sussex is 'just' a lord or lady?

William and Harry (and their wives) seem very close. Do you think it would be awkward if William's kids are princes and princess, and baby Sussex is 'just' a lord or lady?

I do, I think the Queen will do the same as she did for Charlotte since the kids will all be the same age. My original comment was thinking about Edward and Sophie's children. They were much later than the other grandchildren so I don't think they felt the same pressure as they would if their children were born in the 80s or 90s like their cousins.

I don't think so especially since Harry was thinking of getting out of the royal-ness of the royal family.

I could imagine a bit of jealousy when they're little. But on the other hand if the child ends up with a civvy job, I can't imagine a cashier at Tesco having "Princess" on their name tag, or Prince Rocky's Painting and Decorating on the side of a transit van, and I think it might be better in that situation to be lord or lady as I think that might make it easier to fit in with the upper class social strata?

Isabella is a name that's popular enough, but not too popular, in both the UK and USA, so I might put that on my list. Isabella Diana has a nice ring to it?

Maybe Harry would like to name a son Philip after his grandfather?

I saw an Alexandra on another royal list somewhere, which I just love.

Isabella is lovely, and I like Mary. Many great songs written for Mary.

For boys, Alexander, Nickolas, and James.

Can't believe they do this- like a horse race, or something! Lol!

But here are the odds, today...

Bookies' picks for names for Harry and Meghan's newborn
According to Fitzdares
Boys

• 2/1 Alexander
  • 3/1 Arthur
  • 6/1 Philip
  • 6/1 Albert
  • 10/1 Nicholas
  • 33/1 Alfred
  • 50/1 James
  • 100/1 Thomas
Girls

• 5/2 Alice
  • 4/1 Victoria
  • 4/1 Mary
  • 6/1 Isabella
  • 12/1 Eleanor
  • 12/1 Augusta
  • 25/1 Rachel
  • 50/1 Diana
Bookies' top picks for the name of Meghan and Harry's baby

Thanks for the new thread CMC! Great name.

Regarding names...if they use Sussex for a last name, anything ending with an “s” sounds awkward to my ears. I like Alexander, but if it’s ever shortened, Alex Sussex is hard to say. So, that leaves Arthur, Phillip, Albert and Alfred from the bookies’ list. I like the way Phillip Arthur Sussex sounds. If they need three names, perhaps throw in Charles as the second name or Alexander as the third name...or some combination. I also like David, not on the list. So maybe David Phillip Arthur Sussex.

For a girl, I still like Victoria because of tradition and the subtle nod to Doria. I think I’d go with Elizabeth and Mary....Victoria Mary Elizabeth Sussex works for me. :)

DAY 1 in progress, it is 12.25pm in Sydney now.

Meghan’s Aussie dress crashes website

EAGLE-EYED royal watchers were quick to spot that Meghan Markle wore one of Princess Diana’s much-loved pieces on the first day of her tour Down Under.

The Duchess of Sussex wore the late Princess’s butterfly earrings and matching bracelet on her first day out in Sydney.

My bet is 'designer' twins - one boy and one girl - like
Julia Roberts , Jennifer Lopez, Mariah Carey all have.

Congrats to the new soon to be parents.

Lol, August 30th, for the September 3rd addition of this magazine, it said she was having twins. So again, when do we think she conceived?
Screenshot_20181015-215138_Gallery.jpg

Not sure if there are twins in the royal lineage but with so many celebrities having twin boy and girl, I seem to think that a doctor is involved to plant the 'seeds'.

Anyway, I am happy for them and you all know that I am not a Megs fan.
I like the name Alexandra and Philip - my names for the twins.
Alexandra Diana Elizabeth and Philip Charles Henry - I hope Megs is reading.

She did look nice in the pretty white dress, the hair, well don't get me started. Wouldn't a nice shoulder length with waves hair style look nice on Megs???

Last edited:
DAY 1 in progress, it is 12.25pm in Sydney now.

Meghan’s Aussie dress crashes website

EAGLE-EYED royal watchers were quick to spot that Meghan Markle wore one of Princess Diana’s much-loved pieces on the first day of her tour Down Under.

The Duchess of Sussex wore the late Princess’s butterfly earrings and matching bracelet on her first day out in Sydney.

I don't even see a bump! I think she could have gotten away without an announcement for another few weeks. Barely looks like she ate a big lunch.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dont4get