Norway Norway - Arjen Kamphuis, 47, Dutch citizen, Bodø, 20 Aug 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
He has a Oru coat XL for several years and he knows a lot about kayaks so I was told
Here is the article that mentions the expedition..(that I thought is worth a mention)
Meet the locals: An interview with Tomasz Furmanek

He has a spare paddle on his ORU kayak ~ and on other kayaks:

1493148958_kayak%2012%20summer%20other.jpg

He has a spare paddle on his ORU kayak ~ and on other kayaks:

1493148958_kayak%2012%20summer%20other.jpg
I do think he has several paddles and kayaks,depends on where he is going..
Here is some more information about paddles:

We generally have two types of paddles.
- the stabbing paddle (canoe, raft, dragon boat, sup)
- the kayak paddle (all other forms of kayaking)
The difference is in the use and in the number of sheets. A sting paddle has 1 blade, while a kayak paddle has two blades.

The stabbing paddle:
The sting paddle is used for open canoeing. Both solo and tandem use a sting paddle. In addition, the stabbing paddle is also used for supping, dragon boat and rafting. Here the handle is (often) longer than an ordinary stabdle paddle. The stitch paddle has a single blade with a button or handle at the end. This makes it easy to handle.

The kayak paddle:
The kayak paddle is used for kayaking. The kayak paddle may have a kinked or straight stalk. The kayak paddle hold you with two hands with the angle of the arms about 90 degrees. The blades of the paddle can be rotated differently with respect to each other (0 to 90 degrees).

1a. Length and weight (sting):
The length of the paddle is mainly chosen by first looking at your own (arm) length. If you are tall, you will have to go for the longer models. If you are a bit smaller, you go for the small sizes.

In addition, you have to do with the weight of the paddle. The lighter the paddle, the more efficient the sailing is. Weight is often determined by the material. This in turn has an effect on the price and the strength of the paddle. In general you can say; the lighter the paddle, the finer it will sail.Alluminium is heavier than carbon and therefore also a lot cheaper.

1b. Length and weight (kayak paddle):
The length of the paddle is important to make a good stroke. In addition, the water type plays a role. If you are on whitewater, you want a short stroke frequency and can respond quickly. You will then have to look at shorter paddles. If you are sailing a lot at sea or on flat water, you want a slightly lower stroke frequency. You will have to keep going for longer. The paddles for this are often a bit longer. Each paddle type has a length that is tuned to your own length. If you are smaller, you will have to go for the shorter sizes, you are longer, then you go for the longer sizes.

In addition, you have to do with the weight of the paddle. The lighter the paddle, the more efficient the sailing is. Weight is often determined by the material. This in turn has an effect on the price and the strength of the paddle. In general you can say; the lighter the paddle, the finer it will sail.

2a. Material (sting):
A stab pedal can consist of various materials. In general, we distinguish three types.
- Allumium stables
- Wooden stabbing paddles
- Composite stabbing paddles
Alluminium paddles are widely used in rental. They are cheap, strong and durable. The disadvantage of the paddles is that they are heavier and less efficient. This is due, among other things, to (less) stiffness of the material. Wooden stab pedals are there and against a piece stiffer. These too are very strong and last a long time. In addition, the wooden stab pedals look very nice. However, they are slightly more expensive. Finally, you have the composite stabbing paddles. These are extremely light and stiff. The disadvantage is the price and the sensitivity. The paddles are very strong, but can be damaged more quickly.

2b. Material (kayak paddle):
A kayak paddle can also consist of various materials. Depending on the purpose, it is wise to choose a material type. If you sail a lot at sea, a carbon paddle is very nice. If you have something less to spend, go for a plastic paddle. Much use is made of carbon-kevlar and fiberglass on whitewater. For large parties and rentals, a nylon paddle often also fits well. These are also a lot cheaper. Also for the novice kayaker is often a nylon paddle a great basic paddle.

3a. Shape (sting):
A spade paddle can have various shapes. What you pay attention to is the size of the blade. Depending on your height and your objective, you choose a desired surface area. The larger the blade, the stronger you have to be. This does not always mean that it is more efficient. In addition, a handle may have a kink. This is widely used in competition forms of open canoeing.

3b. Shape (kayak paddle):
A kayak paddle can have different leaf sizes. A long and narrow leaf is often pleasant on long distances, while you want to have a somewhat larger leaf in whitewater. For recreational boating you can often start with a "normal" paddle blade. This is both efficient and easy to use.
There are also wing paddles. These have an extra lip on the outside edge. This will make you sail more efficiently. You have to adapt your technique to this. A wing paddle is often used at sea and on flat water.
A bent stalk (ergo / bent) occurs in both sea kayakers and whitewater riders. This will make you paddle more efficiently. Your wrists do not have to bend more often and your posture is better during the entire stroke.
GT
Advies Peddels - Kanoshop

Some reviews from customers that have bought an Oru kayak points out weakness in the structure as pictured with AKs kayak: "The one major issue is "Durability". I cannot comment on the boat itself, however, the parts, are just very simple, basic plastic. I used only one time for 3 hours in water, plus 2 practices to assemble in home, one of the SEAM Channel is broken. The replacement need $30. Also, all 4 of sticks all lose and ready to full off." these are missing in AKs kayak also. Another review: "Could you imaging when we opened the boat and saw lots of black spot, marks, unfit zipper and a broken handler. " - also with AKs kayak.
Can you post the link of these reviews?
I read some of it...I think?

Last edited:
This is some background information on reported kayak accidents in the US. Statistics on deaths, injuries, causes, etc.
For instance:
The Outdoor Foundation calculated kayakers made an estimated 99.9 million outings in 2012, with each kayaker averaging about eight trips throughout the year.

The U.S. Coast Guard reports 54 people died nationally in kayaking accidents, with drowning cited as the cause in 43 cases. There were a total of 113 reported kayak accidents that year, meaning roughly half of all incidents were deadly. Fifty-five kayaking accidents were classified as capsizing.

Unfortunately, folding kayaks are not mentioned and I'm not able to find any specific statistics on folding kayaks.
I can imagine that if one capsizes in the fjord, one would suffer from hypothermia fairly quickly. I have read in the links above of Worldwatcher and/or eeqaz, that not only life vests are recommended, but also special gear to protect against hypothermia.

Kayak Accidents | Fort Myers Boating Injury Lawyer Bruce L. Scheiner

Arjens ping on the 30th of August at Vikesa can be interpreted as an intentional "sign of life".

I really wanted the police to check the kayak, if it seems like its been in an accident or if the damages are unclear of if it seems like never been mounted finished etc but the only written comment in media when some journalists ask is that the police says: yes, we have heard some people question the kayak" . - Ehmm...and thats it. I really, really try to avoid any conspiracy therories and keep focus on pointing out just where to find his trace, but seriously, if this case has some political aspect, I belive there will be no help from the police. Not only from this vague answere, or the lack of investigation or search, but becuse of their immaturity and Norways puppylove relationship to NSA.

Last edited:
I do think he has several paddles and kayaks,depends on where he is going..
Here is some more information about paddles:

We generally have two types of paddles.
- the stabbing paddle (canoe, raft, dragon boat, sup)
- the kayak paddle (all other forms of kayaking)
The difference is in the use and in the number of sheets. A sting paddle has 1 blade, while a kayak paddle has two blades.

The stabbing paddle:
The sting paddle is used for open canoeing. Both solo and tandem use a sting paddle. In addition, the stabbing paddle is also used for supping, dragon boat and rafting. Here the handle is (often) longer than an ordinary stabdle paddle. The stitch paddle has a single blade with a button or handle at the end. This makes it easy to handle.

The kayak paddle:
The kayak paddle is used for kayaking. The kayak paddle may have a kinked or straight stalk. The kayak paddle hold you with two hands with the angle of the arms about 90 degrees. The blades of the paddle can be rotated differently with respect to each other (0 to 90 degrees).

1a. Length and weight (sting):
The length of the paddle is mainly chosen by first looking at your own (arm) length. If you are tall, you will have to go for the longer models. If you are a bit smaller, you go for the small sizes.

In addition, you have to do with the weight of the paddle. The lighter the paddle, the more efficient the sailing is. Weight is often determined by the material. This in turn has an effect on the price and the strength of the paddle. In general you can say; the lighter the paddle, the finer it will sail.Alluminium is heavier than carbon and therefore also a lot cheaper.

1b. Length and weight (kayak paddle):
The length of the paddle is important to make a good stroke. In addition, the water type plays a role. If you are on whitewater, you want a short stroke frequency and can respond quickly. You will then have to look at shorter paddles. If you are sailing a lot at sea or on flat water, you want a slightly lower stroke frequency. You will have to keep going for longer. The paddles for this are often a bit longer. Each paddle type has a length that is tuned to your own length. If you are smaller, you will have to go for the shorter sizes, you are longer, then you go for the longer sizes.

In addition, you have to do with the weight of the paddle. The lighter the paddle, the more efficient the sailing is. Weight is often determined by the material. This in turn has an effect on the price and the strength of the paddle. In general you can say; the lighter the paddle, the finer it will sail.

2a. Material (sting):
A stab pedal can consist of various materials. In general, we distinguish three types.
- Allumium stables
- Wooden stabbing paddles
- Composite stabbing paddles
Alluminium paddles are widely used in rental. They are cheap, strong and durable. The disadvantage of the paddles is that they are heavier and less efficient. This is due, among other things, to (less) stiffness of the material. Wooden stab pedals are there and against a piece stiffer. These too are very strong and last a long time. In addition, the wooden stab pedals look very nice. However, they are slightly more expensive. Finally, you have the composite stabbing paddles. These are extremely light and stiff. The disadvantage is the price and the sensitivity. The paddles are very strong, but can be damaged more quickly.

2b. Material (kayak paddle):
A kayak paddle can also consist of various materials. Depending on the purpose, it is wise to choose a material type. If you sail a lot at sea, a carbon paddle is very nice. If you have something less to spend, go for a plastic paddle. Much use is made of carbon-kevlar and fiberglass on whitewater. For large parties and rentals, a nylon paddle often also fits well. These are also a lot cheaper. Also for the novice kayaker is often a nylon paddle a great basic paddle.

3a. Shape (sting):
A spade paddle can have various shapes. What you pay attention to is the size of the blade. Depending on your height and your objective, you choose a desired surface area. The larger the blade, the stronger you have to be. This does not always mean that it is more efficient. In addition, a handle may have a kink. This is widely used in competition forms of open canoeing.

3b. Shape (kayak paddle):
A kayak paddle can have different leaf sizes. A long and narrow leaf is often pleasant on long distances, while you want to have a somewhat larger leaf in whitewater. For recreational boating you can often start with a "normal" paddle blade. This is both efficient and easy to use.
There are also wing paddles. These have an extra lip on the outside edge. This will make you sail more efficiently. You have to adapt your technique to this. A wing paddle is often used at sea and on flat water.
A bent stalk (ergo / bent) occurs in both sea kayakers and whitewater riders. This will make you paddle more efficiently. Your wrists do not have to bend more often and your posture is better during the entire stroke.
GT
Advies Peddels - Kanoshop

Can you post the link of these reviews?
I read some of it...I think?
Bay ST Reviews - Oru Kayak | paddling.com

Do agree with you eeqaz!
It did seem like a bad day to go out kayaking...
The weather on that day was mentioned before and a Norwegian geo storm was kind enough to mail the weather conditions of Rognan area from August,20th resume mail:

It was mostly cloudy with rain showers,perhaps some glimpes of sun in between.
Temperatures around 10C -11 C,so a cold and wet day.Wind was coming from the west-not very strong-probably not more than light breeze in the fjord.With taking the wind in account,he/kayak would have been drifting inwards the fjord,eastwards to south wards in the fjord system.
He does not have any data about the currents and the currents depends on many,like parameters,wind,tides,rivers etc
So with the currents of that day could change the whole picture...

Last edited:
I really wanted the police to check the kayak, if it seems like its been in an accident or if the damages are unclear of if it seems like never been mounted finished etc but the only written comment in media when some journalists ask is that the police says: yes, we have heard some people question the kayak" . - Ehmm...and thats it. I really, really try to avoid any conspiracy therories and keep focus on pointing out just where to find his trace, but seriously, if this case has some political aspect, I belive there will be no help from the police. Not only from this vague answere, or the lack of investigation or search, but becuse of their immaturity and Norways puppylove relationship to NSA.
Isn't the police obliged to investigate? Can't they be obliged to investigate further? A good lawyer might be able to help, but who will pay the lawyer? It surprises me that no lawyer has been called in.

I don't think that the NSA is the problem here....

Also I did look ...well..tried to find,the water temperature of the fjord,but got no futher then this> fjordswim.no - Sea temperature and currents
about same as the wether, around 10 degress, rainy, little windy, alone without kayak experience, thats hardcore. but whatever happened with the kayak, his phone/SIM cards pinged in Vikeså, it can\t be a normal tourist kayak accident, his phones would not travelled that far, his SIM cards would not be swithed in the Stavanger area if this was a kayak accident around Bodø, it just dont make ANY sence.

A lawyer or private investigator would be helful. Local police would never be able if its a difficult criminal case, in Fauske and around its probably moonshine and drunkendriving, plus domestic violence in most cases. The case will be terminated "because of lack of evidence" if this disapearance is involving a larger picture s in a political case for example. With the new American/ NATo base stations placed in the north, I really dont know what to belive. At the moment there are No. spy agents in Russian jails and vice verca, but the No. ministry of foreign affairs keep their mouth shut in these cases. Why ?

Why do you think this is a case for the local police? The Norwegian KRIPOS has been involved from the beginning.

Why do you think this is a case for the local police? The Norwegian KRIPOS has been involved from the beginning.
I do not think its only the local police is involved. I wrote that local police never would be able to solve a difficult criminal case. Please leave comments for the case that is helpful instead off going after people with questions obvious not necessary to ask. I have followd the case from the beginning. I live in Norway. I know quite a bit about how the local police and kripos working. Kripos was asked to join 4th of sept acc. to media. That Kripos is involved doesn't exclude the local police to be involved, and btw have you seen much information from Kripos in this case ?

Last edited:
I guess and know..(just saying ofcourse) a lot (here) have questioned the NP!
This is WEB sleuths..so..imo,we can only sleuth what is on the internet or by questioning/discuss.
We dont have the recourses to start/work the investigation -what should be done,what has been done or what we would like LE to do...NO GO imo

Yesterday I started in the book of Luke Harding "The Snowden Files" and it is idd baffling how governments systematically violate privacy rights under the guise of security.
Have you finished reading the book?

Have you considered reading Nowhere To Hide , written by Glenn Greenwald who actually met with Snowden?

Why would Snowden have wanted to go to Ecuador? We know that he got stuck in Moscow, but why Ecuador?

Was it because Assange was living in the Ecuadorian embassy?

Have you finished reading the book?

Have you considered reading Nowhere To Hide , written by Glenn Greenwald who actually met with Snowden?

Why would Snowden have wanted to go to Ecuador? We know that he got stuck in Moscow, but why Ecuador?

Was it because Assange was living in the Ecuadorian embassy?
No haven't finished it yet..but extended,the loantime of the book.Was too caught up by this quest to #findarjen...wich seems to me like an endless case & raised more questions,atm.

Thanks for the suggestion,as a matter of fact...will go to the library in an hour orso and put it on the (must) list! (Reservation in order)
Have some freeee days coming up...

Okayyy long shot,but maybe @Lorrie or @eeqaz can answer this..?
In The Netherlands there is a website were you can post found/lost stuff -->>Verloren of Gevonden (Always handy if you are planning a holiday here in NL ;))
I saw there is an international website for lost and found items too..of course I did put in some searches there> Online Lost and Found Property Management Software, Platform | MissingX but what I would like to know is there also a national (just Norway) searchbase/site ?

Not that I know of... As far as I know you have to contact the businesses or organisations where you think you have lost something. But it is quite normal to share lost or found things at local facebooksites I think...

I saw there is an international website for lost and found items too..of course I did put in some searches there> Online Lost and Found Property Management Software, Platform | MissingX but what I would like to know is there also a national (just Norway) searchbase/site
I noticed they are from Bodø,accidentally:
MissingX as an idea was born in Bodø, Norway through necessity back in 2001. It was a cold and frosty winter morning when one of our founders lost his bicycle. In that moment of disbelief and panic, it became immediately apparent to Tom that nobody was interested in helping and there were too many conflicting and unhelpful systems on the internet. Worst of all, there was no single location to search everywhere at once for lost property and nowhere to report found property either for that matter.
About Us | MissingX Lost and Found Software

I noticed they are from Bodø,accidentally:
MissingX as an idea was born in Bodø, Norway through necessity back in 2001. It was a cold and frosty winter morning when one of our founders lost his bicycle. In that moment of disbelief and panic, it became immediately apparent to Tom that nobody was interested in helping and there were too many conflicting and unhelpful systems on the internet. Worst of all, there was no single location to search everywhere at once for lost property and nowhere to report found property either for that matter.
About Us | MissingX Lost and Found Software
Wow, so Bodø is acting as the navel of the earth? Who might this Tom be?

I can't get behind the wall of an.no, but I have found a small article with almost the same title: Vurderer privat etterforskning
Google translation:
October 15, 2018 at. 07:11
Consider private investigation
Family and friends of missing Arjen Kamphuis are now discussing starting private investigations for the missing Dutch security expert. It writes the Dutch newspaper De Telegraaf, according to Avisa Nordland . Kamphuis has been missing since 20 August, last time when he checked out of a hotel in Bodø .
(They are referring to the Telegraaf. I haven't found any in the Telegraaf?)
Vurderer privat etterforskning

Here is it in the Telegraaf for you who reads dutch: ’We moeten er serieus rekening mee houden dat Arjen nooit wordt gevonden’

Here is the article Google translated:

Arjen Kamphuis has been gone since August 20th.

The police have stepped down the investigation pending new information.

In the Netherlands, family and friends are in uncertainty.

"We must see that Arjen is hardly found," said his friend, Ancilla van de Leest, to the Dutch newspaper De Telegraaf.

She was in contact with Norwegian police last week.

According to the newspaper, family and friends discuss private investigations to find the man related to Wikileaks.

"All sceneries are still open," said his Dutch friend to De Telegraaf.

She thinks there are several questions that do not rhyme - as found by the kayak in Saltdalsfjorden and the mobile signals in Rogaland.

"There are many pieces of the puzzle to be investigated by us," she continues.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea Briann