KY KY - Redhead Murders, 70's-90's

'The Bible Belt Strangler': E. Tenn. students draft serial killer profile in unsolved cases

https://www.knoxnews.com/story/news...class-drafts-serial-killer-profile/607269002/

In a unique lesson on human nature, a group of Northeast Tennessee students in a high school sociology class believe they may have uncovered the faint trail of an unknown serial killer.

Teacher Alex Campbell invited his students at Elizabethton High School to re-examine a series of at least 11 decades-old, unsolved homicides across Tennessee and several other states, known as the Redhead Murders.

Using established criminal investigative techniques, the students used the Doe Network — an online national database of unidentified murder victims — news reports and other available materials to develop a list of six deaths sharing the closest similarities

The students theorize the women may have been the victims of one man — mostly likely a commercial truck driver, who killed with his bare hands.

Given the locations of where the six bodies were found, Campbell said the killer may have lived East Tennessee.
Campbell and his students hope their amateur investigation brings renewed attention to the cases

Wish I would have had a class like this when I was in HS.

Student sleuths investigating "bible-belt strangler

Math, science and catching serial killers. It's not your average high school curriculum, but for a group of east Tennessee students they are hoping their investigative efforts could really make a difference.

https://www.wbir.com/article/news/c...vestigating-bible-belt-strangler/51-552401891

The cases all have several things connecting them, including the victims' hair color. Students created a profile of the suspected killer and named him the "bible-belt strangler".

5 out of 6 of the women are Jane Does.

"The fact that they were unknown and didn't have family, made the kids feel like they needed to advocate for them," said teacher Alex Campbell

http://www.lex18.com/story/38197680/students-in-east-tennessee-profile-possible-serial-killer

The sociology class from Elizabethton High School in Tennessee spent the semester studying a string of cold cases known as the "Red Headed Murders". In 1985, someone killed a woman and dumped her body in a refrigerator in the woods outside of Barbourville. For years, she was known to locals as the Red Headed Jane Doe.

The students in Tennessee connected her case with at least five others in Tennessee, West Virginia, and Arkansas.

They worked with detectives in the cases to develop a profile of the possible killer. The students say they believe the man was a truck driver who lived in or around Knoxville in the 1980s. They said it is very possible he is still alive and they have named him the Bible Belt Strangler.

Identified as Tina Marie McKenney Farmer from Indiana
910UFTN
910UFTN_LARGE.jpg Homicide59.jpg

TBI identifies woman whose body was found 30 years ago in Campbell County

The Tennessee Bureau of Investigation is asking for information concerning a 30 year old homicide in Campbell County.

On January 1, 1985, TBI Special Agents were asked to to work with the Campbell County Sheriff’s Office in investigating the homicide of a female whose body was found along Interstate 75.

Autopsy results revealed the victim had likely died several days prior to her body being discovered, but investigators were unable to determine the identity of the victim and she was listed as a Jane Doe.

In August, however, agents were made aware of a blog focusing on missing persons cases. One of the individuals listed on the website was Tina Marie McKenney Farmer, who was reportedly missing from Indiana.

TBI: 1985 Campbell Co murder victim identified thanks to blog

State authorities made a break in an over three-decade-old homicide case thanks to a blog that writes about missing persons cases. Now the TBI is asking for the public's help to identify the killer.

The Tennessee Bureau of Investigation is seeking any information the public may have on a 1985 Campbell County homicide after recently identifying the victim as Tina Farmer of Indiana.

Agents were made aware of a blog that focused on missing persons cases. One of the individuals listed on the website was Tina Marie McKenney Farmer who was reportedly missing from Indiana.

Victim of decades-old homicide case identified

ina Marie McKenney Farmer was 22 years old when she was killed and left on the side of Interstate 75 in Campbell County in 1985, according to a TBI press release. TBI and the Campbell County Sheriff's Office investigated the case but were unable to identify her remains, and she was listed as Jane Doe for three decades. An autopsy led agents to believe that Farmer had died several days before her body was discovered, the release states.

Tina Marie (Mckenney) Farmer- Missing Since the 1980’s

Tina Marie (Mckenney) Farmer went missing around 1984-1989 or so from Marion County, Indiana around the age of 20. She had been married to Richard Farmer, who is now deceased. If she were alive today, she would be about 53 years old.

DOB: March 8, 1964

Hair: Red
Eyes: Hazel
Height: 5’4″
Weight: 120 lbs
Other features: Missing front tooth. May wear a retainer.
Circumstances: Apparently when Tina married Richard in 1984, she became estranged from the rest of her family. There was a rumor that a truck driver in IN took Tina to KY. Tina’s sister last heard from her in 1984.

'Redhead Murder' victim in Campbell County identified after 33 years

The case was among a series of at least 11 unsolved homicides involving young women with red or reddish hair and slight builds, whose bodies were found close to major highways in Tennessee and several other states between 1978 and 1992.

In May, a group of students in a sociology class at Elizabethon High School in Carter County, Tenn. developed a detailed character profile of a single suspect they believe may have been responsible for at least six of the murders, including Farmer's death.

The students deemed their suspect, "The Bible Belt Strangler."

Authorities have not said whether Farmer's homicide may have any connection to other cases.

“I think it's a very strong possiblity that these cases are connected," said Todd Matthews, case management director for the National Missing and Unidentified Persons System.

Matthews says there is a tentative identification of a victim in Knox County, Kentucky.

Last October a woman who believes the Jane Doe is her mother submitted DNA to confirm the results, however the tests have not yet been completed. The woman's brother identified the necklace the victim was wearing.“

Redhead Murders investigation 'hot' after Campbell Co. Jane Doe identified

Good article, more in-depth about high school sleuths and the 'Redhead Murders.'

'We Are Looking For You'

I enjoyed reading this article. Kudos to these youngsters because I have shared this same theory for years in regards to Long Haul Truckers being synonymous with Serial Killers. I have been recently working on my theory in regards to trucking routes referred to as lanes in the broker freight industry and how this theory directly relates to The Highway Serial Killer(s) initiative. In the broker freight industry, brokers refer to trucking routes as lanes. A freight broker is an intermediary between a shipper who has goods to transport and a carrier who has capacity to move that freight. There are a number of these lanes which run throughout the country. These lanes pickup loads and drop off loads. If someone was so inclined they could look up some of these routes and match them to longhaul trucking lanes. Follow me here, if you could match these LANES with where the bodies are being dumped along the interstates you could match these to companies who use these lanes to run their products or goods to the trucking companies and truckers who are using these lanes to move products and goods all across this country. The truckers themselves are very habitual just like serial killers, so they stick to routes or LANES they are familiar with. My point is, if you looked these lanes up and matched them to the interstate routes which have been used to drop their victims you could essentially track this killer or killers. Remember, there are a set amount of lanes in this country, (certain number). Typically, truckers do NOT deviate from these lanes do to the fact that their loads are tracked so they must stay on these particular lanes while delivering these products and goods. Just a theory, but I have spoke to a friend of mine who is one of these brokers and this theory of mine is anything but a stretch. I am currently waiting to hear back from Michael Harrigan of the FBI in regards to my trucking lane theory.

Happy Sleuthing,

Clyde

Police hunt for possible serial killer in 1980s 'redhead murders'

More than 30 years after the bodies of multiple young, red-haired women were discovered dumped near U.S. highways in Tennessee, Kentucky and Arkansas, police say the killings may be the work of an unknown serial killer.

"The cases are probably connected," said Detective Aaron Frederick of the Kentucky State Police. "There's a lot of similarities."

The first break came in the summer of 2017. The FBI had re-examined evidence from a 1985 homicide in which a Jane Doe with red hair was found inside a refrigerator near a Kentucky highway.

"The FBI called," Frederick said. "They said they found a match for a fingerprint found on the refrigerator."

The print turned out to be unrelated to the case, Frederick said. But it spurred him to re-examine the old files.

"I had never heard of the case," he said. "I came back and looked it over. We'd had no leads since 1992. So, we decided to put a press release out and try to get her identified."

The release went out in July 2017. The following October, a woman from North Carolina called saying she thought the woman could be her mother, Espy Regina Black-Pilgrim.

n the spring of this year, a high school sociology class in Elizabethton, Tenn., began researching the "redhead murders" for a class project. The students and their teacher, Alex Campbell, gathered information from multiple police agencies and solicited advice from an FBI profiler.

A few months after the students released their findings, investigators with the Tennessee Bureau of Investigation came across a blog post about a red-haired woman missing from Indiana. The woman matched the description of a Jane Doe found more than 30 years earlier beside Interstate 75 in Tennessee. Fingerprints confirmed the woman was 21-year-old Tina Farmer.

Last edited:
Thank you everyone for keeping this thread updated. Please keep it up. This case is one I will be discussing on a show in the future.

If you have any more info or theories I would appreciate it if you would post it here. Within TOS of course :)

Thanks again. You all are the best!!!

Tricia

Unrelated to the red haired murder victims listed on this thread, noting 2 other murders of red haired women and the description of a possible perp in those murders. fwiw, speculation. rbbm.
April 27 2018
Two red-haired women's heads found in US
"The severed heads of two reddish-haired women were discovered last week in two different US states, and police are investigating if the cases are linked.
The first head was found by Calcasieu Lake, Louisiana, on 1 March, and the second near Lake Houston, Texas, on 24 March, about 150 miles (240km) away".

"Mr Perez said Houston police are currently looking for a man in his 20s who witnesses saw throwing a black bag off a bridge near where the second head was found.

The man is described as having short, dark brown hair, bangs, and light skin.

He was seen getting out of a blue-green Chevrolet truck that appeared to have been in several wrecks."

New information is discovered in decades-old 'Redhead Murder' case
"With this new information we can proactively be searching instead of waiting for someone to come to us," said NAMUS's Director of Communications, Todd Matthews. "The ultimate goal for the body in Cheatham County is to identify her and get her back to her family. Law enforcement will have an opportunity to maybe find who did it and hopefully, someone will pay for that."

Unidentified Person Case

Unidentified Person / NamUs #UP1578Female, White / Caucasian
Date FoundMarch 31, 1985
Location FoundPleasant View, Tennessee
Estimated Age Range31-40 Years

Demographics
SexFemale
Race / EthnicityWhite / Caucasian
Possible First Name--
Possible Middle Name--
Possible Last Name--
Possible Nickname--
Estimated Age GroupAdult
Estimated Age Range31-40 Years
Estimated Year of Death1985
Estimated PMI2 Months
Height5' 1"(61 inches) , Estimated
WeightCannot Estimate

Has Patricia Mae Lopaka ever been considered Cheatham County Jane Doe, found in 1985?

Attachments

• 52084.png
    52084.png
    143 KB · Views: 10
  • 85_7_hat.jpg
    85_7_hat.jpg
    9.5 KB · Views: 9
Hey True Crime Friends,
I am honored to be part of a live panel discussing The Red Head Murders/Bible Belt Strangler today at 2:00 PM Eastern.
Steph Watts, Todd Matthews, Levi Page and yours truly will be using a new app for our roundtable discussion. It's called "Good Talks" and it is done through text message. You can participate by text messaging.
Below is the Webpage
Talk:http://gdtlk.co/36frqt
Phone Apps
Android app:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details…
iPhone app:https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/goodtalk-app/id1411633756

Hope you will join us @ 2pm Eastern TODAY Oct 24th
Love,

Great video included in article

COLD CASE: Redhead Murders among alarming trend of unsolved highway homicides

By the spring of 1985, authorities were beginning to believe the murders might be connected.

All of the victims were young women whose bodies were found dumped along major roadways over the previous two years. Most had been strangled. None had been identified.

And each had telltale reddish or strawberry-blonde hair — a detail news reports emphasized amid increasing coverage of what became known as the Redhead Murders.

In September this year, investigators finally found their starting point — Indiana.

The body of one victim, found wrapped in a blanket off Interstate 75 in Campbell County near Jellico on New Year's Day 1985, was identified as that of Tina Marie McKenney Farmer.

A second major break followed just a month later, when DNA analysis confirmed the identity of Espy Regina Black-Pilgrim, of Spindale, North Carolina

Amid the intensifying search for a suspect, another redheaded victim turned up in March 1985 in Knoxville this time, however, the victim was still alive.

Linda Schacke had been choked with a piece of cloth ripped from her T-shirt and left for dead inside a storm drain under I-40 near Watt Road.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jojo53
Back