PA PA - Edna Thorne, 15, Philadelphia, 24 June 1975

Edna Thorne

Petition Help Edna Thorne

Apparently there is a suspect in Edna’s abduction. He was the husband of one of her older sisters. He may have sexually abused her and she may have been pregnant at the time. He is not to be publicly named but he refused to take a polygraph. He was at the stables when Edna arrived that day on June 24th 1975.

Edna Thorne

Petition Help Edna Thorne

Apparently there is a suspect in Edna’s abduction. He was the husband of one of her older sisters. He may have sexually abused her and she may have been pregnant at the time. He is not to be publicly named but he refused to take a polygraph. He was at the stables when Edna arrived that day on June 24th 1975.

Yes, I believe that possibility was mentioned earlier in this thread.

He probably killed Edna to protect his marriage to her sister. It mentioned that one day soon after she vanished, he went to the dump by himself. It seems to fit. I’ve also considered Lloyd Lee Welch in Edna’s case and the disappearances of Wendy Eaton and Tracy King.

Edna Christine Thorne
  • edna_christine_thorne_1.jpg
  • edna_christine_thorne_2.jpg
Edna, circa 1975; Age-progression to age 56 (circa 2016)

• Missing Since06/24/1975
  • Missing FromPhiladelphia, Pennsylvania
  • ClassificationNon-Family Abduction
  • Date of Birth02/25/1960 (59)
  • Age15 years old
  • Height and Weight5'1, 105 pounds
  • Clothing/Jewelry DescriptionA striped shirt and bell-bottom jeans.
  • Medical ConditionsEdna may have been pregnant at the time of her disappearance, but this has not been confirmed.
  • Distinguishing CharacteristicsCaucasian female. Brown hair, brown eyes. Edna smokes cigarettes.
Details of Disappearance
Edna was last seen in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania on June 24, 1975. She had recently graduated from Stetson Junior High School, and her brother-in-law gave her a pony as a gift.

On the day of her disappearance, Edna left her family's home on Front Street to go visit her new horse at its stable on a relative's home at Tioga Street. She invited her thirteen-year-old sister to join her, but her sister stayed behind. Edna was last seen leaving the Tioga Street stable. She has never been heard from again.

Although Edna had been in foster care as a child and she had recently argued with her sister, there is no indication she'd been planning to run from home and she didn't take any money with her, only a pack of cigarettes. She wasn't dating anyone at the time of her disappearance.

According to family members, Edna's brother-in-law, the husband of one of her older sisters, is a possible suspect in her disappearance. According to the story, this brother-in-law had sexually abused Edna and gotten her pregnant, and he was at the horse stable on the day Edna disappeared. None of this information has been confirmed with official sources.

After she went missing, her older sister got disturbing phone calls from a man who said he knew what Edna was wearing when she disappeared and claimed he'd buried her in Pennypack Park. Investigators believe she may have been killed. Her case remains classified as a non-family abduction.
Investigating Agency
Source Information
Updated 3 times since October 12, 2004. Last updated February 23, 2019; medical conditions added, details of disappearance updated.

to all of you thank you so very much for keeping my sisters case alive it has been 37 long years our mother just turned 90 i do no lot of the info on here is wrong it was my house she left from that day 3047 front st Philadelphia she told me she was going to the stables she never returned ..... back than the police would not take a report for 48 hours than she was classified as a runaway there has been new details and persons that have come forward with information but according to the police its a he said she said thing funny some one came forward and showed the police where she was "dump " according to this person but according to Philadelphia police dept it would take a order from the pope to dig on the land ... it is private property in riverside new jersey were it was a dump for private trash company that this person worked for

So very sorry that this happened to your sister Edna and that you had to live so many years not knowing what happened to her.

Unfortunately I find it hard to believe that if the DA suspect a possible body buried at that private dump they can't check the grounds. Not even the POPE could stop them from getting a search warrant and start digging, private property or not.

Researching this case I get the feeling no one in this family really wants to know what happened to Edna. All I'm hearing is a bunch of excuses why the police can't check anything out.

I wish we had better pictures of Edna. The photograph of her makes her hair look like it’s very light blonde.

Not many pictures of her at all. I only found 1 picture of Edna when she was small and the one that's used for posting her missing. Even on the families facebook page about her missing is the just those 2 pictures. The whole thing is just strange.

This case bothers me....first it's very sad Edna fell "into the cracks". I can totally see her sister, advocating for her, doesn't have the power, network or other things needed to really do something, making LE following up the families ideas. And that hurts. Also the total family dynamics are not a great help. Image your family/sisters etc. accuses your husband like this....what would you do? If you ever read this, woman (older sister who married to this so called Frank Ryan), and you know more.....do the right thing....

This case bothers me....first it's very sad Edna fell "into the cracks". I can totally see her sister, advocating for her, doesn't have the power, network or other things needed to really do something, making LE following up the families ideas. And that hurts. Also the total family dynamics are not a great help. Image your family/sisters etc. accuses your husband like this....what would you do? If you ever read this, woman (older sister who married to this so called Frank Ryan), and you know more.....do the right thing....
The family does care, her sister wants to find her and get closure. The case was initially treated as a runaway when she was reported missing. It wasn’t until a long while passed that the case would be considered an abduction. We don’t even know if Frank Ryan was involved, he has been investigated but no evidence was found to connect him to Edna’s case.

EThorne.jpg
EThorne1.jpg

Left: Thorne, circa 1975; Right: Age-progressed to age 50 (circa 2011)

Edna Christine Thorne
Missing since June 24, 1975 from Philadelphia, Philadelphia County, Pennsylvania.
Classification: Non-Family Abduction
Vital Statistics
    • Date Of Birth: February 25, 1960
    • Age at Time of Disappearance: 15 years old
    • Height and Weight at Time of Disappearance: 5'1; 105 pounds
    • Distinguishing Characteristics: White female. Brown hair; brown eyes.
    • Dentals: Available
    • DNA: Available in CODIS.

Circumstances of Disappearance
Thorne was last seen at a relative's home in Philadelphia, PA on June 24, 1975. She was last seen leaving the horse stable.

Investigators
If you have any information concerning this case, please contact:
Philadelphia Police Department
215-685-1180

All information may be submitted on an anonymous basis.
Agency Case Number: 25-054798
NCMEC #: NCMC604667
NCIC Number: M-857652106
Doe Network Case File 74DFPA
Please refer to these numbers when contacting any agency with information regarding this case.

Source Information: The National Center For Missing and Exploited Children
NamUs
The Doe Network: Case File 74DFPA

EThorne.jpg
EThorne1.jpg

Edna Christine Thorne
Missing since June 24, 1975 from Philadelphia, Philadelphia County, Pennsylvania.
Vital Statistics

Thorne was last seen at a relative's home in Philadelphia, PA on June 24, 1975. She was last seen leaving the horse stable.

Investigators
215-685-1180

Please refer to these numbers when contacting any agency with information regarding this case.

NamUs
I wish we knew who abducted her:(

EThorne.jpg
EThorne1.jpg

Edna Christine Thorne
Vital Statistics

Investigators
215-685-1180

NamUs
I wish we knew who abducted her:(

I have the impression that the brother-in-law is the culprit but he is a really bad guy he cheated on Edna by buying her that pony maybe he had planned that she would visit him at the stable and they would be alone he would take advantage of her she was a 15 year old girl...abusing of her killing her and making her body disappear... it's something that has no name, hopefully one day they can imprison the dirty garbage of the brother-in-law...
rest in peace edna

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
not_just_a_phase