OH - Pike County: 8 People From One Family Dead As Police Hunt For Killer(s) #34 *Arrests*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Please let me know any correction.

To try to summarize the indictments, it seems to me each of the 4 persons is charged with identical counts:
1-8 aggravated murder of the 8 victims
9- conspiracy to commit the murders with the 3 others, beginning around Jan 1, 2016, including purchasing items, surveillance of the victims, and learning their habits, etc
10-13 aggravated burglary on the 4 homes on the day of the murders.
14 - unlawful possession of weapon(s)
15-17 - tampering with evidence including victim's phones, custody documents from April 3, a silencer, home security video.
18 - forging custody documents on April 3, 2016
19-20 computer hacking of social media and intercepting emails, going back to July 1, 2014, up to May 2017 (when they left for AK?)
21 - obstructing justice by covering up for the others
22 - engaging in a pattern of corrupt activity in committing these crimes, involving the 3 others killers, the 2 grandmothers, and a 'John Doe', beginning Jan 1, 2016.

Then JW has a charge of sex with a minor, Hanna Rhoden.

Thanks, Satchie, that's a pretty good summary. I would also add some mention in the tampering or obstructing section where they charge something about a video recorder that was purchased by Jake Wagner in March 2016. Perhaps they mention this because they found proof he purchased it, used it somehow in the planning or execution of the murders, then later disposed of it.

Anyone see any mention in there of vehicles that were used in the crimes? Just thinking about the red truck that was later sold or given to James Manley, then alleged to have been used in the crimes.

Please let me know any correction.

To try to summarize the indictments, it seems to me each of the 4 persons is charged with identical counts:
1-8 aggravated murder of the 8 victims
9- conspiracy to commit the murders with the 3 others, beginning around Jan 1, 2016, including purchasing items, surveillance of the victims, and learning their habits, etc
10-13 aggravated burglary on the 4 homes on the day of the murders.
14 - unlawful possession of weapon(s)
15-17 - tampering with evidence including victim's phones, custody documents from April 3, a silencer, home security video.
18 - forging custody documents on April 3, 2016
19-20 computer hacking of social media and intercepting emails, going back to July 1, 2014, up to May 2017 (when they left for AK?)
21 - obstructing justice by covering up for the others
22 - engaging in a pattern of corrupt activity in committing these crimes, involving the 3 others killers, the 2 grandmothers, and a 'John Doe', beginning Jan 1, 2016.

Then JW has a charge of sex with a minor, Hanna Rhoden.

This is very helpful.

Would you mind adding the date of the killings to your Count 1-8 item as that will help put the other items in context with their dates. No need to resend it out until you decide to add any more clarifications. Thanks in advance.

Wow. Good information. I know you did a lot of research on this topic, we were all wondering how much sound they could muffle and how easy it would be to make your own.
I followed a case (25 years ago)...Dana Ewell's college roommate, Joel Radovcich "used guns equipped homemade silencers" to kill Dana's family. A book was written about it and I seem to remember there were pictures or diagrams of some the items. Interestingly, the sound of the shots, although greatly diminished were still loud enough
for the neighbors to hear....but they described it as "clanking pots and pans." The items used to make the silencers (ugh! hurts my fingers to type this, but...) are pretty easy to obtain.

Thanks, Satchie, that's a pretty good summary. I would also add some mention in the tampering or obstructing section where they charge something about a video recorder that was purchased by Jake Wagner in March 2016. Perhaps they mention this because they found proof he purchased it, used it somehow in the planning or execution of the murders, then later disposed of it.

Anyone see any mention in there of vehicles that were used in the crimes? Just thinking about the red truck that was later sold or given to James Manley, then alleged to have been used in the crimes.

I took it to mean he bought a camera and set it up on the Rhoden farm. Says countersurveilence?

I took it to mean he bought a camera and set it up on the Rhoden farm. Says countersurveilence?

Sure sounds like that's what they're referring to. The criminal part would include disposing of it? I wonder if they found the camera, or found receipts/online record of him buying it? Wonder where he put the camera? At DR's or CR1's trailer?

IANAL, but sometimes John Doe is used as a sort of legal "place holder" in case other people are revealed who were also involved in the "enterprise or pattern of corrupt activity, etc."

Agreed. But they have “any other and/or unidentified individuals” in there too - seemed odd to me that they would also have John Doe.

I'm still catching up. Was that in the indictments?
I was also wondering about "John Doe" in the charges. Maybe someone else who can be charged or someone else they think was involved but aren't able to charge?

Has anyone seen the indictments for the Grandmas? I wonder if one of them stayed home with Sophia while the 4 murdered her family?
I was going to ask where S was during the murders since she wasn't with her mom and her dad was off killing an entire family. If it was the middle of the night she would have likely been asleep but hopefully they didn't have her in the car or anywhere near the crimes. Which makes sense that at least one grandma knows, if they were babysitting and then heard about the killing the next day-not hard to put 2 and 2 together if they didn't know prior.

IMO

Last edited:
My notes from today's presser 11/13/2018:

Yesterday, the Grand Jury indicted four suspects on aggravated murder with death penalty specifications.

The Suspects:
George Billy Wagner III
Angela Wagner
George Wagner IV
Edward J. Wagner

These arrests are the result of an extensive joint investigation into the murder of eight family members by the AG’s office, the FBI, and Pike County Sheriff's Office.

The Victims:
Christopher Rhoden Sr., 40
Dana Manley Rhoden, 37
Hanna Mae Rhoden, 19
Christopher Rhoden Jr, 16
Clarence “Frankie” Rhoden, 20
Hannah Hazel Gilley, 20
Kenneth Rhoden, 44
Gary Rhoden, 38

The evidence will show that the four suspects meticulously planned these murders. They conspired together to kill these 8 people. All four suspects have been charged with eight counts of aggravated murder each (one for each victim) with death penalty specifications.

He won’t be able to say much about motive due to the open prosecution but will say that custody plays a role. He believes the evidence will show that the Wagners came up with an elaborate plan to kill these eight victims in the cover of darkness and made elaborate plans to cover up the murders. The evidence will show that the suspects spent months planning these crimes. They studied their habits and routines. They knew the layouts of their homes. The suspects tampered with evidence--their phones and the surveillance cameras on their properties.

They have been gathering evidence for two and a half years. On July 2018, a judge and an investigative grand jury met weekly to go over evidence and to come up with ways to discover new evidence. The last piece of significant physical evidence was discovered on October 30, 2018 and the analysis of that evidence was completed just a few days later, on Nov 7th. This last piece of evidence, along with all of the other evidence they’ve collected since the murders, is what led them to today’s charges and arrests.

The suspects have also been charged with a number of other other offenses: conspiracy, engaging in a pattern of corrupt activity, aggravated burglary, tampering with evidence, unlawful possession of a dangerous ordinance, unauthorized use of property, interception of wire, oral, or electronic communications, and obstruction of justice. All four suspects have also been charged with forgery for allegedly forging child custody documents. Two other individuals have also been arrested in conjunction with the coverup of these crimes, and they are the parents of two of the Wagners -- Rita Newcomb and Fredericka Wagner. These two arrests are related to an attempt to mislead authorities.

Also, from this article... Pike County: Wagner family arrested in the Rhoden family massacre

"They did this quickly, coldly, calmly and very carefully – but not carefully enough," said. Pike County Sheriff Charles Reader. Prosecutors allege Angela Wagner purchased several items in the months leading up to the deaths of the Rhoden family and Hannah Gilley.

"...specific shoes from Walmart, 'brass catcher(s),' items with which to build 'brass catchers,' ammunition, a magazine clip, a 'bug' detector, and or items with which to build a 'silencer(s),' and/or various other items in preparation for these crimes," the indictment states.

Brass catchers are used to collect discharged bullet casings.

I followed a case (25 years ago)...Dana Ewell's college roommate, Joel Radovcich "used guns equipped homemade silencers" to kill Dana's family. A book was written about it and I seem to remember there were pictures or diagrams of some the items. Interestingly, the sound of the shots, although greatly diminished were still loud enough
for the neighbors to hear....but they described it as "clanking pots and pans." The items used to make the silencers (ugh! hurts my fingers to type this, but...) are pretty easy to obtain.

I got to see a silencer up close one time a long time ago. And it was really interesting.

The one I saw was made of a steel tube and on the inside of the tube was like a thick wire brush that went all around the inside with the wire brush prongs all pointing inward.

When you looked through the end you could not even see the hole because of how tight the wire brushes prongs were. Very densely made.

I never got to hear one being used but I agree from what I have heard about them is they never totally silence a gun. They just do a good job to reduce the sound decibals.

Some are better made than others and do a better job of reducing sound. I believe most are illegal to have. At least that is my understanding anyway.

I think they make sound reducer baffles on some guns but that is different than a real silencer that is usually screwed over or into the end of a barrel.

My notes from today's presser 11/13/2018:

Yesterday, the Grand Jury indicted four suspects on aggravated murder with death penalty specifications.

The Suspects:
George Billy Wagner III
Angela Wagner
George Wagner IV
Edward J. Wagner

These arrests are the result of an extensive joint investigation into the murder of eight family members by the AG’s office, the FBI, and Pike County Sheriff's Office.

The Victims:
Christopher Rhoden Sr., 40
Dana Manley Rhoden, 37
Hanna Mae Rhoden, 19
Christopher Rhoden Jr, 16
Clarence “Frankie” Rhoden, 20
Hannah Hazel Gilley, 20
Kenneth Rhoden, 44
Gary Rhoden, 38

The evidence will show that the four suspects meticulously planned these murders. They conspired together to kill these 8 people. All four suspects have been charged with eight counts of aggravated murder each (one for each victim) with death penalty specifications.

He won’t be able to say much about motive due to the open prosecution but will say that custody plays a role. He believes the evidence will show that the Wagners came up with an elaborate plan to kill these eight victims in the cover of darkness and made elaborate plans to cover up the murders. The evidence will show that the suspects spent months planning these crimes. They studied their habits and routines. They knew the layouts of their homes. The suspects tampered with evidence--their phones and the surveillance cameras on their properties.

They have been gathering evidence for two and a half years. On July 2018, a judge and an investigative grand jury met weekly to go over evidence and to come up with ways to discover new evidence. The last piece of significant physical evidence was discovered on October 30, 2018 and the analysis of that evidence was completed just a few days later, on Nov 7th. This last piece of evidence, along with all of the other evidence they’ve collected since the murders, is what led them to today’s charges and arrests.

The suspects have also been charged with a number of other other offenses: conspiracy, engaging in a pattern of corrupt activity, aggravated burglary, tampering with evidence, unlawful possession of a dangerous ordinance, unauthorized use of property, interception of wire, oral, or electronic communications, and obstruction of justice. All four suspects have also been charged with forgery for allegedly forging child custody documents. Two other individuals have also been arrested in conjunction with the coverup of these crimes, and they are the parents of two of the Wagners -- Rita Newcomb and Fredericka Wagner. These two arrests are related to an attempt to mislead authorities.

Also, from this article... Pike County: Wagner family arrested in the Rhoden family massacre

"They did this quickly, coldly, calmly and very carefully – but not carefully enough," said. Pike County Sheriff Charles Reader. Prosecutors allege Angela Wagner purchased several items in the months leading up to the deaths of the Rhoden family and Hannah Gilley.

"...specific shoes from Walmart, 'brass catcher(s),' items with which to build 'brass catchers,' ammunition, a magazine clip, a 'bug' detector, and or items with which to build a 'silencer(s),' and/or various other items in preparation for these crimes," the indictment states.

Brass catchers are used to collect discharged bullet casings.

Thank you! Please repost this in the new thread if you can.

"9-20 computer hacking of social media and intercepting emails, going back to July 1, 2014, up to May 2017 (when they left for AK?)" Snipped by me, what is this "intercepting emails"? I'm baffled by the extent of the details the W family went to with this massacre.

IMO

Yeah. “Silencers” suppress the sound of gunfire, but it’s nothing like in the movies.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
buggy8993