GUILTY NY - Karina Vetrano, 30, jogger found murdered, Queens, 2 Aug 2016 #5 *First trial MISTRIAL*

It gets kind of cloudy when they go into the DNA and where it was and how it got there. The suspect also forgot to tell the detectives he killed the victim by strangling. But he did 'remember' breaking her teeth with his fist.

I AM NOT SAYING HE DIDN'T DO IT. I am saying he might NOT have done it. Something wrong with the case. ????

The prosecution's DNA presentation was a bit of a shambles.

The Queens Daily Eagle reported daily from the courtroom and got into the details.

[defense attorney Jennifer] Cheung also questioned Razzano on whether DNA analysis conducted by other analysts in the OCME lab could identify on what part of the fingernails the DNA appeared. Razzano acknowledged that the DNA may have been on top of the nails.

The defense team has suggested that Vetrano may have encountered Lewis’ DNA somewhere else, such as inside Gino’s Pizzeria on Cross Bay Boulevard, where Karina’s father said he and his daughter went to get pizza before her run. The defense has also raised the possibility that the DNA was accidentally transported to the body by one of the many police officers and first-responders who visited the crime scene.

Cheung also noted that Lewis’ DNA was not found on Karina’s wrists, ankles, hands, a piece of hose recovered near the scene, tarp used to cover Vetrano’s body or bags of vegetation from the scene.

Prosecution, defense rest their case on trial day 7

It gets kind of cloudy when they go into the DNA and where it was and how it got there. The suspect also forgot to tell the detectives he killed the victim by strangling. But he did 'remember' breaking her teeth with his fist.

I AM NOT SAYING HE DIDN'T DO IT. I am saying he might NOT have done it. Something wrong with the case. ????
If you go back to page 7, post 137, time stamp@ 8:54, during the confession he talks for quite a while about strangling her.

My recollection of it from what I read is the suspects first confession made no mention of strangling the victim. Impressions given was the did a big ooops and did it again. Been there, done that . Deja Vu all over again

Well, 7 jurors didn't... the other 5 hmmm not so much.
I could be off base, but I think reason the jurors who didn't want to convict is because of concerns about the investigation, not necessarily because they think the perp is innocent.

Is the evidence tainted (including confession) because of the way the investigation was handled, thus making it an unfair trial?

jmo

My recollection of it from what I read is the suspects first confession made no mention of strangling the victim. Impressions given was the did a big ooops and did it again. Been there, done that . Deja Vu all over again
This is the first I have heard about two confessions. Can you post the link please? I'd love to see that.

CL confessed to repeatedly punching KV in the face "knocking her teeth out". Was this ever confirmed by the medical examiner? Also were any of the medical staff that treated CL's hand injury called as witnesses or report him as a possible suspect? and if not why not. He claimed to have hurt himself running in the park(if the media account is to be believed...big if there).

Following.
Not sure what to think about this tragic case. I thought they had their man.
Still not sure he had nothing to do with her murder.
My thoughts are with a family who will never get to see her, nor hear her voice again !
All that she could have been... she still had a lot of life to live yet ! :(

Was there any direct evidence besides the confession? I have not followed this one from the beginning and obviously did not watch the trial since it was not filmed, but I can see why jurors have reasonable doubt. I severely want justice for Karina and her loved ones.

The other case I was referring to was the murder case of off-duty NYPD cop Charlie Davis. Cops ‘found’ a ‘witness’ named John Bigweh that described his role in the crime. He said he was a look-out who was positioned himself 450’ away from the crime scene. He can see the crime unfolding from that distance, with a wall in front of him and 20 minutes before Sunrise.

What he said he sees is 2 of the alleged shooters at the curb firing their semi-automatics into the victims as they are opening up the gates of the check store. A pretty definite statement, I would say.

The problem with that account is when CSU examines the scene they DON’T find a single shell casing in the street - THEY FIND 4 cases INSIDE the store. Oooops.

Tie to take him out of the game because they now have to fix things. First and most important of three separate trials happens almost 2 years later. They don’t use Bigweh and say the agreement between the witness and the DA hadn’t been finalized.

Trust me when I tell you it gets worse. They are liars. Maybe the jury didn’t like what they saw and questioned the evidence. Many times they lie when there is no need to lie. The shame of it is a guilty man could go free.

https://nypost.com/2018/12/16/karina-vetrano-murder-suspect-chanel-lewis-hates-rikers-island/
Karina Vetrano murder suspect Chanel Lewis hates Rikers Island
December 16, 2018 | 8:14pm | Updated December 17, 2018 | 8:48am

The Brooklyn man facing retrial for the sex assault and murder of Queens jogger Karina Vetrano says Rikers Island is traumatizing him.

Whining in a series of phone calls to The Post, Chanel Lewis complained about everything from supposedly contaminated food to abusive guards to self-pleasure-obsessed inmates.
[...]
City Department of Corrections spokesman Peter Thorne told The Post on Sunday, “These allegations are troubling, and claims about the safety and well-being of people in custody is something we take seriously. We will investigate this immediately.’’

Judge sets date for retrial in Karina Vetrano murder case | Daily Mail Online
Chanel Lewis, the man accused of murdering Queens jogger Karina Vetrano two years ago, was back in court this morning to learn the date of his retrial.

Lewis' first trial ended in a mistrial in November 2018, after the jury was unable to reach a unanimous verdict after only a day and a half of deliberations.

On Tuesday, Judge Michael Aloise announced that jury selection for the 22-year-old defendant’s new trial will begin on March 12.
more...

https://nypost.com/2018/12/16/karina-vetrano-murder-suspect-chanel-lewis-hates-rikers-island/
Karina Vetrano murder suspect Chanel Lewis hates Rikers Island
December 16, 2018 | 8:14pm | Updated December 17, 2018 | 8:48am

The Brooklyn man facing retrial for the sex assault and murder of Queens jogger Karina Vetrano says Rikers Island is traumatizing him.

Whining in a series of phone calls to The Post, Chanel Lewis complained about everything from supposedly contaminated food to abusive guards to self-pleasure-obsessed inmates.
[...]
City Department of Corrections spokesman Peter Thorne told The Post on Sunday, “These allegations are troubling, and claims about the safety and well-being of people in custody is something we take seriously. We will investigate this immediately.’’

Someone that is traumatised or disgusted by other inmates masturbating may be the type that needs to obliterate a woman he judges to be sexually explicit or "lewd". JMO

Lewis’ second trial is set to begin March 12
Lewis being held in LI jail for safety sake
Posted: Thursday, February 14, 2019 10:30 am | Updated: 1:07 pm, Thu Feb 21, 2019.
Chanel Lewis, the accused killer of Howard Beach jogger Karina Vetrano, has been quietly transferred to a jail in Suffolk County for security reasons, officials said this week.

Lewis, 22, had been held at Rikers Island since he was arrested in February 2017 after police said his DNA was found at the crime scene.
[...]
Lewis’ second trial is set to begin March 12 at the Queens Boulevard courthouse.

Jury selection to start in Vetrano case
March 9, 2019 6:00 PM
After a mistrial last November, Queens prosecutors and defense attorneys will begin this week picking another jury in the case of the Brooklyn man accused of the murder two years ago of Howard Beach jogger Karina Vetrano.
[...]
The jury ultimately voted 7-5 for conviction, with all of the male jurors, joined by two women, believing Lewis was guilty, according to people briefed on the deliberations. Some jurors wanted to continue working, but prosecutors and the Vetrano family supported a mistrial, believing the jury was too deeply divided.

Law enforcement sources said sympathy for the defendant, an unemployed, taciturn man who was socially awkward, may have played a role.

In the first trial, jury selection took only about nine hours and resulted in a panel of mostly younger people— 30 and under-- which police and others in law enforcement believe may have worked against the prosecution.

“The jury selection becomes critical in this second round,” said Brooklyn defense attorney James DiPietro, a former Nassau County assistant district attorney.

On paper, said DiPietro, the prosecution has a strong case. But juries can be unpredictable, he noted.

“There is no such thing as a ‘gimme’ in this business," he said.

The prosecution should want a jury of older, working people with children, while the defense is likely to angle for a young panel like that in the first trial, said DiPietro.
[...]

Queens DA's Office Hits Restart on Howard Beach Jogger Murder Trial
March 11, 2019
[...]
During the first trial, Justice Michael Aloise prevented the defense from introducing testimony they said would support Lewis’ case. It is unclear whether that testimony will be allowed in the retrial.

Home surveillance cameras show Karina running into the park, but thousands of video clips accumulated from cameras along the Belt Parkway, Howard Beach homes and area businesses fail to capture Lewis in the area, investigators said. Aloise stopped an investigator testifying for the defense from telling that to the jury, however.

Leventhal and Curtis successfully argued to preclude testimony from a Verizon employee who was working on a telephone pole near the crime scene during the time of the murder. The defense attorneys said the worker saw three people enter and exit the park — none of whom were Lewis.
[...]

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
M.Lee
Back