Missouri - The Springfield Three--missing since June 1992 - #10

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am dubious about the APCO sighting but have no way to dispute it from where I sit.

I have often wondered why Mrs. Kirby seemed offended by being queried about it. Why not simply say she knew nothing about it?

Evidently she is implying that since the girls would be staying there that Mrs. McCall would naturally call her first. Why bring up the pejorative term of a “liar.”

Seems odd to me.

Don't you mean Sherrill Levitt (vs Mrs. McCall) would know to call Mrs. Kirby first (before going out in the middle of the night)?

And yeah, why did Mrs. Kirby seem so defensive? In the News-Leader articles (Thread #9) Mrs. Kirby IMO never sounded concerned about the missing women. She was concerned about protecting her daughter. I can only assume how much pressure and scrutiny the Kirby's were under then and now but it's difficult not to have questions.

The reason he remembers it is because it was so odd.

He also saw Stacy and Suzie.

I don't believe in coincidences nor do I believe he was attention seeking. If you research the man, you see nothing like that in his background.

Interesting info I had not heard of a 2nd person seeing Sherrill...not that many 'frantic' mom's out at 2 ish a.m.
And yes, he had no vested interested to 'make up' such a story.

The first article I found in the News-Leader concerning the missing women was the 9th (Tuesday) it wouldn't be a big stretch to remember back to Saturday night.

Too many coincidences to not take seriously.
June 19, 1992 Newsleader article has the comment about a customer of Apco who also corroborates Sherrill coming in saw her 20 minutes earlier at the Git n' Go on Republic Rd. (1750 E. Republic Rd. Springfield MO)

Sherrill was obviously looking for Suzie and they likely came back to the house at the same time.

One thing I wonder: was Sherrill with someone when searching for Suzie?

The likely path Sherrill took was Glenstone to Republic Rd where it kind of wraps around. She probably was made aware of the parties and general vicinity of where the girls could be found. Likely a spot Suzie stopped at often when she was in college and/or when she lived with Bartt or on Walnut Lawn.

Last edited:
Don't you mean Sherrill Levitt (vs Mrs. McCall) would know to call Mrs. Kirby first (before going out in the middle of the night)?

And yeah, why did Mrs. Kirby seem so defensive? In the News-Leader articles (Thread #9) Mrs. Kirby IMO never sounded concerned about the missing women. She was concerned about protecting her daughter.

I can only assume how much pressure and scrutiny the Kirby's were under then and now but it's difficult not to have questions.

Yes to both. The answers could best be answered first by calling Mrs. Kirby as both girls were supposed to be there that night. Mrs. McCall, so far as I know had no reason to believe that Stacy would be elsewhere that night except at the Kirby’s.

I’ll go back to my original question. Why did Mrs. Kirby use the term “liar?” That tells me that there was some bad blood between the families. After all Mr. McCall said Stacy did not have permission to go to the Levitt home. What is that all about?

Why didn’t Sherrill first call the Kirby residence? We only know that Mrs. McCall first called the Kirby residence about 10:30AM. Mrs. McCall essentially insisted that Stacy was there as though she thought that Stacy’s whereabouts were being kept from her for some unknown resason.

I think Ms. McCall explained herself in a video or interview at one point so I'm recalling a recall here, but I believe she didn't like Suzie's boyfriends.

Though it does suggest that maybe she knew or heard about other events happening at 1717 Delmar that she didn't want Stacy around?

I think I will stay verified at this point. Thanks !
No problem. Message Tricia: Tricia

I know your wife is mentioned in the news articles, that should probably be enough if you can prove that. Or if you straight up have a picture or something private that could link you to Sherrill.

Welcome aboard Dale! You could be a big help here!

How often do women who look like Sherrill come in asking people if they seen her daughter and two friends within the same time frame of the said missing?

Also did you know Sherrill was spotted down the street east of the gas station just 20 minutes prior? Cops never found that customer of Apco who said that to Steve Thompson though. Why not just ASK Steve Thompson about it?

Again, I see no incentive to lie. And to prove it wrong in lawyer/cross-examination fashion is certainly fine. It seems that it is a BIG clue for this case and it's being easily dismissed in a case with very little clues.

Where is there any proof of a second sighting, let along confirmation of the first Apco station sighting?

Just saying that it happened doesn’t make it so.

Edit: Didn’t read far enough down the thread. I see the mention of the news leader article now.

I still don’t hold much faith in it but at least it’s something.

Last edited:
Where is there any proof of a second sighting, let along confirmation of the first Apco station sighting?

Just saying that it happened doesn’t make it so.

Edit: Didn’t read far enough down the thread. I see the mention of the news leader article now.

I still don’t hold much faith in it but at least it’s something.
Hard to say but I just don’t see reasons for him lying. Especially since the tip came out before details of the parties were released. It’s not like the tip came from the north side of town. It came from right where the girls were...

Going back to this whole Apco tip, Sherill looking for Suzie is of course possible, but I'm getting confused as to a couple of things about that.

1. Sherill doesn't manage to track down Suzie, and aware of possible danger, comes home. The girls aren't there yet. They arrive, and proceed to get ready for bed? Doesn't add up.
2. Sherill tracks down Suzie and Stacy, the three come home together. That theory would question: why? If she's out looking for Suzie, it's for good reason. I doubt they'd all then go home and the girls proceed to get ready for bed.
3. Sherill is out looking for Suzie, the girls get home before her. I just don't see them just getting into bed without Sherill being there for some unexplained reason.

OR, Sherill was at Apco, but not that night/at said time. As with George's sighting, I don't think it's completely fabricated - but perhaps key details, timings etc are mixed up. Either way, I don't think it makes or breaks this case. I honestly don't believe any of them knew what was coming until it happened. Every indication we have points to there being an interruption at some point in the early hours, either starting before the girls got home or when all three were in bed.

Your point 1) is the most plausible to me.

But it's all speculation until we know why she left the house.

We have no proof they got ready for bed one way or another. Just that makeup may or may not have been taken off. It's been said Sherrill's bed sheets were "dog eared" like she was starting to get into bed or maybe just lightly laying up and reading (a book nearby as well). Of course this could have happened around 9:30 when she presumably was finished varnishing the furniture. Then all the concerning stuff happened after 11:15 or so.

Sherrill not calling Kathy tells me some things. It tells me it was none of Kathy's business what she needed to speak with her daughter about.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChasF419