Mystery couple murdered in South Carolina, 1976 - #6

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok I know this case has a LOT of previous posts so I’ll apologize if this has been covered previously. Regarding the DUI arrest of George Lonnie Henry that resulted in determining he had a gun that matched ballistically the murder weapon of the couple - does anyone remember “why” they suspected this enough to have tested it? I cannot imagine that they would have done that unless there was something else that caused suspicion - if so what was it?

Along with what Laughing stated above the gun had half the serial number filed off which is also enough reason to have it tested and there's no telling what George Henry told them that night. During a polygraph he was dishonest about some of the things he said regarding the gun. He told them he got it from a truck driver but it turns out he really got it from his brother but I personally believe this story could be partially true. It's possible he did get it from a truck driver. That is he got it back from a truck driver.(I do not believe Henry was the killer)
Unless you prefer a cover up in this case, then it becomes obvious. Here's a man in possession of a gun with half the serial number gone, not to far from the murder scene and he's drunk. Maybe just what they were looking for. LE initially said the murder weapon was a .38 caliber but later changed it to a .357 magnum. A .38 shell can be fired in a .357 but not vice versa.
What I would like to know is the circumstances under which George Henry was caught that night. Did they question him? What was he doing there? Where was he coming from and where was he going to? And most importantly of all, was he alone? For all we know he could have had the killer in the car with him.
These are things we do not know because after 42 years LE doesn't see fit to tell us.

I find it interesting there wasn't enough evidence to convict being the murder weapon was traced to him and he lied during a polygraph. Let alone filing the serial numbers off a gun is a blinking siren alarm to suspicious. The origin story for the gun is all over the place. I wonder what his brother said about the gun when questioned.

I find it interesting there wasn't enough evidence to convict being the murder weapon was traced to him and he lied during a polygraph. Let alone filing the serial numbers off a gun is a blinking siren alarm to suspicious. The origin story for the gun is all over the place. I wonder what his brother said about the gun when questioned.

The brother agreed to giving George the gun for Christmas five years prior to the crime but Sheriff Parnell said it was stolen in 1974 , so something's not adding up.
It makes no sense to me. LE had hard evidence to investigate the suspect. It should have been enough to bring charges and put some pressure on him to come clean. Although they may have investigated it more and just got stonewalled or something. They may know much more than has been made public.
The only other thing I can think of is that LE knew all along George Henry wasn't guilty of anything but drunk driving and possible possession of a stolen firearm.

Along with what Laughing stated above the gun had half the serial number filed off which is also enough reason to have it tested and there's no telling what George Henry told them that night. During a polygraph he was dishonest about some of the things he said regarding the gun. He told them he got it from a truck driver but it turns out he really got it from his brother but I personally believe this story could be partially true. It's possible he did get it from a truck driver. That is he got it back from a truck driver.(I do not believe Henry was the killer)
Unless you prefer a cover up in this case, then it becomes obvious. Here's a man in possession of a gun with half the serial number gone, not to far from the murder scene and he's drunk. Maybe just what they were looking for. LE initially said the murder weapon was a .38 caliber but later changed it to a .357 magnum. A .38 shell can be fired in a .357 but not vice versa.
What I would like to know is the circumstances under which George Henry was caught that night. Did they question him? What was he doing there? Where was he coming from and where was he going to? And most importantly of all, was he alone? For all we know he could have had the killer in the car with him.
These are things we do not know because after 42 years LE doesn't see fit to tell us.

BBM

IIRC, and again not wading through for MSM or LE report, but Mr. Henry's wife was in the hospital in another county, he was pulled over on the way to/from the hospital, quite a bit after the deaths?

Your idea of one Mr. Henry or the other getting the firearm back from someone else is a good one!

BBM

IIRC, and again not wading through for MSM or LE report, but Mr. Henry's wife was in the hospital in another county, he was pulled over on the way to/from the hospital, quite a bit after the deaths?

Your idea of one Mr. Henry or the other getting the firearm back from someone else is a good one!

His wife was in the hospital on the night of the murders. This was his alibi. Apparently it must have been a pretty solid one.
I don't know what he was doing the night he got pulled but I would like to know who he was doing it with. He was a ways from his home so he wasn't just out riding around. He was associating with someone in that area or possibly closer to the crime scene depending on where he was coming or going.

This is such a horrible case....about Mr. Henry....I think they were a "well-known" family in those days....images of "making a murderer" come to mind....I do not understand what's this all about....the whole story around the gun, supposed to be the murder weapon....it just doesn't go "in" for me.

This is such a horrible case....about Mr. Henry....I think they were a "well-known" family in those days....images of "making a murderer" come to mind....I do not understand what's this all about....the whole story around the gun, supposed to be the murder weapon....it just doesn't go "in" for me.

Sorry, tried to delete this but it's not working.

What do you mean "it just doesn't go 'in' for me." ?

What do you mean "it just doesn't go 'in' for me." ?

I don't believe the fact that this was in fact the murder weapon...and they just wanted to pinpoint a perpetrator...If it was they would have had reasonable doubts and have the means to arrest Mr. Henry....I'm not sure why they didn't went through with it...everything sound fishy to me...To me it's one big judicial error

Last edited:
An interesting vidieo I came across. Unfortunately it does not give much information about these people and so far I haven't been able to find much. Oh well, I will keep trying.

I've been fascinated by this case for a long time. When I look at their images I think it is possible that they are French Canadian. I believe they are either Canadian or even Iranian. Back in the 70's Iran was very cosmopolitan with everyone adopting western dress and cultures and many young people went to Europe or the US to go to school. My first instinct, though is that they are from Quebec.

Back in the 70's it was a rite of passage for kids from eastern Canada to make a trek to the west coast, buy a used van then travel down to California, making their way across the country through Arizona etc and then back up home before school started in September. I wonder if that was the route this couple made. I remember reading somewhere on these threads that a mechanic in Nebraska recognized the couple saying he'd worked on their vehicle and that they had traveled from Washington or British Columbia.

In 1973 a young woman called Lucie Gelinas went missing in Trois-Riviere Quebec. She was supposed to travel to Vancouver with a friend and hasn't been seen since. I don't know if the friend was male or female and whether they also are missing. There is a picture of her on the missing website for Canada. She is the same height, 5'5" weighed around 115, had blue-green eyes and shoulder length dark hair. Her chin is very similar to Jane's and she appears to have slightly protruding teeth. The only thing that isn't in keeping with the autopsy results is that Lucie had a scar on her abdomen from surgery. Since there has been so many problems with this case I'm not letting that be a issue.

I can't figure out why they have never been identified. Even a father who was displeased by his son's choices would worry if he just disappeared off the face of the earth. I would love to know what their genetic ethnicity is. Hopefully there is still DNA to be tested.

If you look right below Lucie Gelinas on this same site there is this man, Guy Carignan. He went missing from the same place less than a week later and had the same story of going to Vancouver with a friend.
Them being this couple may be a long shot but I wonder if they went missing together and if anyone else has ever noticed this. The friends could never be located in either case so maybe they are the friends to each other.

Canada's Missing | Case details

Have we not always believed there was only three Grant's Truckstops? Well there's at least four and I'm still searching one state at a time. I am working my way east, searching secretary of state websites, and have not seen anything else lately so I'm going to assume for now that's all of them. To go along with the ones in New Mexico, Nebraska, and Idaho, I have also found one in Nevada. The first three are listed as foreign entities while the one in NV is domestic although they were under the same name and run by the same family. Grant's Truck and Car Stop. Maybe thats why the one has been over looked. I don't know.
I was going to post the links but it will just take you to the homepage and you still have to do the search so I didn't bother.

I see now. The Grant Truck Stops were based out of Nevada so it's domestic there but in the other states was foreign. I thought it was referring to a foreign company but their just talking about out of state businesses. Somehow home base got overlooked.
I did some more searching, this time for Cuddy Farms. I found several in Florida but they did not exist until the mid 80's. You know I would have loved to found one out west, say maybe in the same state as one of the Grants. And I did, but after checking it out I'm fairly certain it's not related to the one in Wadesboro NC. But when checking it out I did come across a Zacky Farms. There were or maybe still are several of them in southern California and they did do business with Cuddy's buying their turkey poults and eggs. The most direct route between these businesses is I40 right by the Grants in NM. What I was thinking is it would have been George Henry's job to deliver such things as this. Here's a link. There's not much to it but it does verify some of what I've posted.

Zacky Farms files for bankruptcy, owes creditors more than $50M

Hi I started reading on this case about 8 hours ago and its now 5am. I am fascinated as well as saddened by it.

I know the DNA test came back that they're not related. I was thinking what if they use the same strategy that was used to catch GSK/EAR to find out their identities. They should already have a file that should be able to be uploaded to GedMatch. Two things could be accomplished. 1. Ancestral DNA could give a more definitive direction for ethnicity. 2. Look for genetic familial matches and fill in the family tree to find their identity.

I have no idea ofif it would work or if that made sense. It's late and I'm exhausted.

If it is possible how could we get the process started?

Hi I started reading on this case about 8 hours ago and its now 5am. I am fascinated as well as saddened by it.

I know the DNA test came back that they're not related. I was thinking what if they use the same strategy that was used to catch GSK/EAR to find out their identities. They should already have a file that should be able to be uploaded to GedMatch. Two things could be accomplished. 1. Ancestral DNA could give a more definitive direction for ethnicity. 2. Look for genetic familial matches and fill in the family tree to find their identity.

I have no idea ofif it would work or if that made sense. It's late and I'm exhausted.

If it is possible how could we get the process started?
I just realized this is what the DNAdoe project does. It was late and I obviously wasn't thinking straight lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa