CA CA - Lance Perkins, 43, San Diego, 23 Oct 2016

Hello all. Lance's mother asked me to join WEBSLEUTHS, and wants to thank all of you for all these great ideas. We are going to contact the SDPD HOT Team as someone suggested. We would never have known about them, so thank you. I will be updating what we know, and answering questions as we can. I see someone said I need to become a verified insider. Is there a landing page/URL to do that?

Feb 3 was "Missing Persons' Day," the first ever I believe (Missing CHILDREN'S day is in May). We used that as a hook with the local media to show Lance's pic again with the message that the family is "renewing their call for help." We were happy that 10 News (ABC) ran the story.

We are also trying to put together a vigil for early June (Lance's 45th birthday). I have some answers as to some questions that you've asked, and will be sharing after I get the ok from Lance's mom. She did tell me that the canyon WAS SEARCHED three weeks after he went missing. SDPD, search dogs, and the security officer from the hospital did that search. Nothing found.

Another question-the $1800 withdrawal from his bank account led nowhere--it was an automatic withdrawal for one of his bills.

Who am I? I am an acquaintance of Lance's. I live in the San Diego area (where Lance went missing) and have a background in media so I offered to send press releases from Mr. and Mrs. Perkins (they live in Hawaii). Will also be posting flyers and again, trying to get vigil together. Anything to get his face out there.

More to come--thank you to ButterflyClip for starting this thread!

Hello all. Lance's mother asked me to join WEBSLEUTHS, and wants to thank all of you for all these great ideas. We are going to contact the SDPD HOT Team as someone suggested. We would never have known about them, so thank you. I will be updating what we know, and answering questions as we can. I see someone said I need to become a verified insider. Is there a landing page/URL to do that?

Feb 3 was "Missing Persons' Day," the first ever I believe (Missing CHILDREN'S day is in May). We used that as a hook with the local media to show Lance's pic again with the message that the family is "renewing their call for help." We were happy that 10 News (ABC) ran the story.

We are also trying to put together a vigil for early June (Lance's 45th birthday). I have some answers as to some questions that you've asked, and will be sharing after I get the ok from Lance's mom. She did tell me that the canyon WAS SEARCHED three weeks after he went missing. SDPD, search dogs, and the security officer from the hospital did that search. Nothing found.

Another question-the $1800 withdrawal from his bank account led nowhere--it was an automatic withdrawal for one of his bills.

Who am I? I am an acquaintance of Lance's. I live in the San Diego area (where Lance went missing) and have a background in media so I offered to send press releases from Mr. and Mrs. Perkins (they live in Hawaii). Will also be posting flyers and again, trying to get vigil together. Anything to get his face out there.

Welcome!
Have you followed the steps to become a Verified Insider?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

VERY helpful! We thank you!

(Whoops--that was meant to be a direct reply to the "novel" earlier and the HOT team on SDPD--I didn't realize it wouldn't post right under THAT post! :) )

Welcome! I wish all cases had a helper like you. Hope we can help. Here is the link for becoming a verified insider.

https://www.websleuths.com/forums/s...n-Process-for-Professional-or-Insider-Posters

There is a Missing Person event in Sacramento on June 9 that I’m trying to make sure CA people know about. While you may have already done all of this for Lance, here it is, just in case.

http://kymkemp.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/01/27174004_1347613645344031_2641127638036467154_o.jpg

Hi again!

jnblsm-- I just found the page that tells how to do that, and I've submitted the info requested. Thanks!

Lilibet--thank you! I will go to that link now and check it out! I appreciate it!

Here is some additional info now that I've gone through some of the questions posted. Sorry if it's repetitive.

Correct - He was initially taken to the hospital by ambulance. He had been on the phone that day with this mother and complained he was blacking out.

All phone pings WERE still in the area of the hospital.

PI didn't turn up anything. His mother tells me there is now an investigative journalist who has been doing some footwork. Unverified sightings.

I am not sure who ButterflyClip is, but would love to connect.

Hi again!

jnblsm-- I just found the page that tells how to do that, and I've submitted the info requested. Thanks!

Lilibet--thank you! I will go to that link now and check it out! I appreciate it!

Here is some additional info now that I've gone through some of the questions posted. Sorry if it's repetitive.

Correct - He was initially taken to the hospital by ambulance. He had been on the phone that day with this mother and complained he was blacking out.

All phone pings WERE still in the area of the hospital.

PI didn't turn up anything. His mother tells me there is now an investigative journalist who has been doing some footwork. Unverified sightings.

I am not sure who ButterflyClip is, but would love to connect.

I hope you can also connect with the investigative journalist. Those unverified sightings are so common in many cases. Lance has sort of an “everyman” look.

If you click on Butterfly Clip’s name, you can send her a private message and try to connect. If she has hers set up like I do, she will get an email telling her she has a message. That way, if she hasn’t been on WS for awhile she’ll still know you’re trying to reach her.

I’m not sure if this was asked before. Does Lance have any friends in Mexico? I wonder if he could have gotten there somehow and be stranded. There are homeless unidentified Americans there. Here is a website that lists some they have found on a Mexican Missing FB page.
http://www.missingpersonsofamerica.com/2016/12/05/missing-men-mexico-do-you-recognize-them/

https://www.facebook.com/ElBuscaPersonas/?ref=br_rs

That is incredible info! I just looked at the sites and share with Lance's mom! Thank you so much!

He could be in Mexico. We're pretty close to the border, obviously. It doesn't sound like he frequented Mexico, but anything is possible by now.

That is incredible info! I just looked at the sites and share with Lance's mom! Thank you so much!

He could be in Mexico. We're pretty close to the border, obviously. It doesn't sound like he frequented Mexico, but anything is possible by now.

I hope he didn’t go to Mexico, but as you say, anything is possible by now and we do need to think outside the box. We have at least two threads on WS for Americans who disappeared in Mexico. Are there other places, near or far, that Lance was drawn to? He sounded very ill, so travel is unlikely, especially with no money, but one can hope.

Have the people he was with at the hotel been thoroughly investigated, if you can say? Something seemed strange.

Good questions--I just asked Lance's mom, who says she has no answers on those points.

Hi all, I'm new to WebSleuths and joined specifically for this case. I am very interested in it because I live in San Diego and I'm so surprised that Lance hasn't been found yet. It will be going on 2 years this month and I was wondering if anyone who is familiar with the case still uses this site and would be willing to revive the thread and talk about SDPD/PI searches and details around this?

Hi, I've read through all the threads here and what's been available to the public, including the 911 calls. I have also visited the area a couple weekends ago. Here are my questions that I hope someone can answer.
1. What parts of the canyon were searched? (Or better yet, what has the SDPD and PI already done/checked so any new search or research is not repeated?)
2. What building specifically had the last known surveillance footage of Lance?
3. What type of phone did he have? Has anyone (your PI?) asked lost/found in the surrounding buildings?

Based on the 911 calls, it seems Lance was in the line of sight of 402 Dickinson. This building has "glass corners" on two sides. One facing the Central Plant and one facing westbound Dickinson/Canyon area.

Looking at all the information, I think the Central Plant area and surrounding canyon between it and 402 Dickinson Street should be searched if it hasn't and Central Plant workers should be interviewed again. There is a fence in some parts, but not all. This area has a VERY loud, steady whooshing sound you can hear across the canyon and is cluttered and disorienting even for those walking in daylight and in good health. If he was trapped in a building in this area (911 call), this is the likeliest area that he may not be noticed for 2 years. If he was in this area and left on foot, he could have fallen into the canyon here or become injured in some type of equipment or machinery and again may not be noticed based on the cluttered/construction area and tiered landscape.

Secondly, the canyon area at the curve of Dickinson should also be checked. I am not certain if this is the area the gentleman who fell years prior was found, but it is definitely the area that the news footage from his story showed the searchers. It is easy to walk right into the canyon from here, and it is obvious (littered with debris) transients use this as a path into the canyon. This area is also in the line of sight of 402 Dickinson glass corners.

All in all, despite how Google Earth makes it appear, this canyon is NOT that big and the space between these areas seems accessible to, at the very least, drones and probably dogs and foot searches as well. There are few high trees, lots of chapparal and I think a drone search would be a good way to search the area again, starting in the two locations I mentioned above if they haven't been searched well yet. You would need to go through the proper process for a drone search, as the hospital has a Heliport, but when I visited on a Saturday afternoon, the entire back area was completely deserted except for a few cars at the Bannister House and a couple workers at the Central Plant. This area behind the hospital is a Mon-Fri office area and a weekend search would be least disruptive. (Note: I would mention there are quite a few transients in the area, so I advise cognizance, safety, and sensitivity regarding those in the area if you search.)

Finally, if you haven't submitted this story to the Vanished podcast, I recommend it if you want more coverage and publicity. This is exactly the type of cases she covers and it would get more pressure on LE, if needed, to continue looking and more exposure to the public bolo as well.

Last edited:
Hi, I've read through all the threads here and what's been available to the public, including the 911 calls. I have also visited the area a couple weekends ago. Here are my questions that I hope someone can answer.
1. What parts of the canyon were searched? (Or better yet, what has the SDPD and PI already done/checked so any new search or research is not repeated?)
2. What building specifically had the last known surveillance footage of Lance?
3. What type of phone did he have? Has anyone (your PI?) asked lost/found in the surrounding buildings?

Based on the 911 calls, it seems Lance was in the line of sight of 402 Dickinson. This building has "glass corners" on two sides. One facing the Central Plant and one facing westbound Dickinson/Canyon area.

Looking at all the information, I think the Central Plant area and surrounding canyon between it and 402 Dickinson Street should be searched if it hasn't and Central Plant workers should be interviewed again. There is a fence in some parts, but not all. This area has a VERY loud, steady whooshing sound you can hear across the canyon and is cluttered and disorienting even for those walking in daylight and in good health. If he was trapped in a building in this area (911 call), this is the likeliest area that he may not be noticed for 2 years. If he was in this area and left on foot, he could have fallen into the canyon here or become injured in some type of equipment or machinery and again may not be noticed based on the cluttered/construction area and tiered landscape.

Secondly, the canyon area at the curve of Dickinson should also be checked. I am not certain if this is the area the gentleman who fell years prior was found, but it is definitely the area that the news footage from his story showed the searchers. It is easy to walk right into the canyon from here, and it is obvious (littered with debris) transients use this as a path into the canyon. This area is also in the line of sight of 402 Dickinson glass corners.

All in all, despite how Google Earth makes it appear, this canyon is NOT that big and the space between these areas seems accessible to, at the very least, drones and probably dogs and foot searches as well. There are few high trees, lots of chapparal and I think a drone search would be a good way to search the area again, starting in the two locations I mentioned above if they haven't been searched well yet. You would need to go through the proper process for a drone search, as the hospital has a Heliport, but when I visited on a Saturday afternoon, the entire back area was completely deserted except for a few cars at the Bannister House and a couple workers at the Central Plant. This area behind the hospital is a Mon-Fri office area and a weekend search would be least disruptive. (Note: I would mention there are quite a few transients in the area, so I advise cognizance, safety, and sensitivity regarding those in the area if you search.)

Finally, if you haven't submitted this story to the Vanished podcast, I recommend it if you want more coverage and publicity. This is exactly the type of cases she covers and it would get more pressure on LE, if needed, to continue looking and more exposure to the public bolo as well.

Welcome to Websleuths, ksmith69. You make many good points, especially regarding where to look for Lance.

I really hope that one of his friends or family members sees your post and search the areas you suggested.

Lance Perkins called his mother Donna on the night of October 23, 2016 to tell her that he was having blackouts. She told him to call 911 and go to the hospital. The 43-year-old was taken by ambulance from his hotel in San Diego to UCSD in Hillcrest. Three hours later, security cameras showed him walking out of the hospital. He never returned to his hotel, and he never called his mother back. Because of privacy laws, it’s unclear if Lance was treated at the hospital. Officials with the San Diego Police Department are investigating, but little information has been released in connection with the case. Authorities have reportedly conducted several searches, but few clues have been found.

Five years of Dateline’s Missing in America: 109 still missing

Lance Perkins called his mother Donna on the night of October 23, 2016, to tell her that he was having blackouts. She told him to call 911 and go to the hospital. The 43-year-old was taken by ambulance from his hotel in San Diego to UCSD in Hillcrest. Three hours later, security cameras showed him walking out of the hospital. He never returned to his hotel, and he never called his mother back. Because of privacy laws, it’s unclear if Lance was treated at the hospital. Officials with the San Diego Police Department are investigating, but little information has been released in connection with the case. Authorities have reportedly conducted several searches, but few clues have been found. Anyone with information regarding Lance’s case is urged to contact the San Diego Police Department at (619) 531-2000.
Seven years of Dateline's Missing in America: 156 still missing

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa
Back