Australia Australia - William Tyrrell, 3, Kendall, Nsw, 12 Sept 2014 - #39

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, inquests are usually open to members of the public. I have been trying to think why some sessions of an inquest might be restricted or closed to the public. Maybe if what may be disclosed in evidence could adversely impact current police investigations, or protected persons’ privacy (such as William’s siblings). I remember hearing somewhere that non-publication orders have been used by the Coroner’s Court to prevent sensitive information being released to the public by MSM in other cases, rather than closing the court.

It will be interesting if WSers who may be attending William’s inquest could at least post their opinions and impressions of interested persons/POIs (within WS’ TOS, of course).

I see that an attendee may post within TOS, via Tricia's post - above - if they attend. I am wondering about the sensitivity of William's case though re his Foster Child Placement & whether the public will be allowed then? We'll see i guess! I'm not sure who to ask in this instance? Probably the Lidcombe centre...

I see that an attendee may post within TOS, via Tricia's post - above - if they attend. I am wondering about the sensitivity of William's case though re his Foster Child Placement & whether the public will be allowed then? We'll see i guess! I'm not sure who to ask in this instance? Probably the Lidcombe centre...
BBM.

I think that will be covered by non-publication orders.

I don’t suppose it would hurt to contact them and ask. Contact details for the Coroner’s Court are here:

Contact us

Frogwell has already posted that s/he contacted them to ask whether William’s inquest will be open or closed. They replied that it would be up to the Coroner and announced closer to the date via MSM.

BBM.

I think that will be covered by non-publication orders.

I don’t suppose it would hurt to contact them and ask. Contact details for the Coroner’s Court are here:

Contact us

Frogwell has already posted that s/he contacted them to ask whether William’s inquest will be open or closed. They replied that it would be up to the Coroner and announced closer to the date via MSM.

Thanks @Bohemian & @frogwell

Yes, inquests are usually open to members of the public. I have been trying to think why some sessions of an inquest might be restricted or closed to the public. Maybe if what may be disclosed in evidence could adversely impact current police investigations, or protected persons’ privacy (such as William’s siblings). I remember hearing somewhere that non-publication orders have been used by the Coroner’s Court to prevent sensitive information being released to the public by MSM in other cases, rather than closing the court.

It will be interesting if WSers who may be attending William’s inquest could at least post their opinions and impressions of interested persons/POIs (within WS’ TOS, of course).
can you imagine how may people might turn up

As long as they’re respectful and don’t use William’s inquest as an opportunity to cause unnecessary drama, it doesn’t matter.
the thing is some most likely would which is sad but may happen,as some are harsh on facebook pages,i am in nz and i would like to go..i would like to hear everything. Q how long would this inquest last for

the thing is some most likely would which is sad but may happen,as some are harsh on facebook pages,i am in nz and i would like to go..i would like to hear everything. Q how long would this inquest last for
Yes, probably, people being who they are but, hopefully, the sheriffs will keep them under control.

I’m sure there’ll be lots of MSM coverage and, possibly, some WSers going, so you shouldn’t miss out on the major points.

William’s inquest is laid down for a week starting 25/3 and then again in August for as long as is necessary, so your guess is as good as any as to how long it will take for the Coroner to make a finding.

As long as they’re respectful and don’t use William’s inquest as an opportunity to cause unnecessary drama, it doesn’t matter.

Yes, like we have seen in the past, people using William’s disappearance as a platform to voice their opinion & experiences with certain organizations, instead of actually caring about William & what has happened to him.

I imagine the amount of people allowed in would be limited to a certain capacity. Do they normally have another viewing room? I know they sometimes do for journalists, but i'm not sure for the public. Would anyone happen to know?

If the court room is full & it is an open court, they will stream it live into another room for the public I think. They may even do it regardless & not allow the general public in the actual court room.............I wouldn't be surprised if this will be the case IMO

The media may even have their own separate room , like they did at the siege inquest.

Multi-purpose rooms with giant high-definition monitors capable of screening inquests for the media and general public if a courtroom is full.

Forensic Medicine & Coroners Court Complex - NSW Health Pathology - Website

can you imagine how may people might turn up

I guess an inquest is different than a murder case but Allison Baden-Clay’s murder trial was so packed the families had allocated seats and the other court rooms were opened with big screens for the huge amount of overflow.

This is the reason why it might be closed. I feel for the families.

We don’t want a carnival atmosphere with a sausage sizzle do we.

no that would
I guess an inquest is different than a murder case but Allison Baden-Clay’s murder trial was so packed the families had allocated seats and the other court rooms were opened with big screens for the huge amount of overflow.

This is the reason why it might be closed. I feel for the families.

We don’t want a carnival atmosphere with a sausage sizzle do we.
that wouldnt be good at all,and some voices im sure wouldnt be able to keep quiet,even if closed and in another room

I find it strange that MSM didn't mention any other people requested to attend the inquest in March, since they (i imagine) had access to the pre-inquest hearing. Maybe some are scheduled for later - August? Some may have been ruled out, or might have valid reasons for not attending in March. Or maybe they have narrowed down the field so much they just want these two? Any ideas? Anyone know if MSM was allowed. I suppose there could be gag orders for some attendees for whatever reason...

I find it strange that MSM didn't mention any other people requested to attend the inquest in March, since they (i imagine) had access to the pre-inquest hearing. Maybe some are scheduled for later - August? Some may have been ruled out, or might have valid reasons for not attending in March. Or maybe they have narrowed down the field so much they just want these two? Any ideas? Anyone know if MSM was allowed. I suppose there could be gag orders for some attendees for whatever reason...
The witness list wasn't to be finalised until January and as we haven't heard anything about it, it appears to have been suppressed. We don't know who the witnesses will be. We only know that Spedding and Savage have legal representation.

If the court room is full & it is an open court, they will stream it live into another room for the public I think. They may even do it regardless & not allow the general public in the actual court room.............I wouldn't be surprised if this will be the case IMO

The media may even have their own separate room , like they did at the siege inquest.

Multi-purpose rooms with giant high-definition monitors capable of screening inquests for the media and general public if a courtroom is full.

Forensic Medicine & Coroners Court Complex - NSW Health Pathology - Website

Do you think they will at this Inquest Dr. ? I'm personally not convinced of the openness ...

IMO - Quite some differences v 'the Seige' inquest, most notably that the Perpretator was Known etc...

Re Daniel Morcombe - I'm sure someone is able to advise accordingly of that inquest ?

Do you think they will at this Inquest Dr. ? I'm personally not convinced of the openness ...

IMO - Quite some differences v 'the Seige' inquest, most notably that the Perpretator was Known etc...

Re Daniel Morcombe - I'm sure someone is able to advise accordingly of that inquest ?

IIRC Daniel’s was an open inquest.
IMO The ‘secret squirrel’ cloak and dagger inhibited William’s justice from the beginning but, I believe the FF attended last time, of course their faces weren’t shown but they did attend.
Let’s hope respect is shown and we don’t see some crazies there accusing the wrong people.

The witness list wasn't to be finalised until January and as we haven't heard anything about it, it appears to have been suppressed. We don't know who the witnesses will be. We only know that Spedding and Savage have legal representation.
It would be interesting to know why it was made public about Savage or how MSM discovered the information.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa