IL - Actor Jussie Smollett allegedly attacked in hate crime Jan 2019 #4 * ALL CHARGES DROPPED*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Also, during his Troubadour concert and GMA interview, Smollett bragged about fighting off his attackers. I think he was going for a "gay but tough" reputation, which would give him street cred for his rap music. Smollett even said he is the gay Tupac.

Great. Now, the "Gay Tupac" is going to prison, just like Tupac did...I don't see Smollett managing prison quite as well.

I believe the best thing for him now is to locate a Federal Prison close to his family. One that has the most fashionable, smartest uniforms that he accessorize, and work with Federal Prosecutors for the best time deal he can make. Or he can waste his money on MG. MG is only after the name recognition and paycheck. He wants to keep his name on speed dial at CNN for the future. He ain't stupid, but he is spent.

JMO's

So what's going on? How can he be charged with 16 felony counts? I seriously thought this was a joke....:eek:o_O:rolleyes:

I had the same question.

Jussie Smollett update: 'Empire' actor indicted on 16 felony counts by grand jury

The grand jury returned two separate sets of charges, one of each lie Smollett allegedly told. The first set are related to what Smollett told officers about the alleged attack, including that the attackers called him racial and homophobic slurs, struck him with their hands, put a noose around his neck, and poured some sort of chemical substance on him.

The second set of charges are related to the second interview Smollett had with police about the alleged attack later that day, saying the men attacked him from behind and he fell to the ground, at which point the men continued kicking him. Smollett also told police on this occasion that one of his attackers was white.

The two sets of charges correspond to two sets of police officers Smollett allegedly lied to.

bbm

https://dig.abclocal.go.com/wls/documents/2019/030819-wls-smollett-indictment-doc.pdf

I seem to recall that JS said he got a threating phone call either before or after the letter was received (and before the orchestrated attack). Just wondering if any more details have come out on the call.

Jussie Smollett attorney says the 16 count indictment is 'OVERKILL' and 'vindictive' | Daily Mail Online

Jussie Smollett's attorney has labelled the 16 count indictment he faces as 'overkill', 'vindictive' and a 'desperate attempt to make headlines'.

The Empire actor was initially charged with one Class 4 Felony charge of disorderly conduct last month but a grand jury has applied that charge 15 times over in an 36-page indictment that was returned on Thursday.

Now, he is facing a maximum sentence of 48 years behind bars and fines of up to $400,000.

Following the news Jussie's attorney, Mark Geragos, issued a blistering statement, calling it 'prosecutorial overkill', adding that the star 'adamantly maintains his innocence'.

Geragos told TMZ: 'The fact of an indictment was not unexpected. We knew that there is no way they would expose their evidence to a public airing and subject their witnesses to cross-examination.

'What is unexpected, however, is the prosecutorial overkill in charging 16 separate counts against Jussie.'

[...]

I don't believe there was any letter or phone call unless it was perpetrated by him. People who wear MAGA hats do not send threatening letters, make threatening phone calls, and certainly do not attack people.

Especially in sub zero weather and right by his apartment building. How convenient. And the sandwich got out unscathed. That was the silly part....LOL

^^^IMO, Mark Geragos is a better actor than his client Jussie Smollett!

Really? MG hasn't seen this kind of piling on before? Has he not had his TV on for the past 6 months?? Has he not perused the news in the past 6 months??

Apparently not.

All this is just paid defense attorney blustering. MG can say anything he wants. He's not in court yet.

Every time MG appears in the media is a $$$$$$ moment for his client. Billed differently than office work. I suspect he bills media appearances or media interviews/ comments the same as court appearances. He's happy, IMO, to have the camera on him as he defends his client and trashes the prosecutor and grand jury. He wins X2-- billable hours, plus high profile media exposure.

What MG is *actually* saying to JS in private consultations is much more direct and blunt about the charges and legal consequences, IMO. He's not coddling him, IMO. No safe spaces and hugs and coloring books-- MG is almost certainly pushing JS to admit the hoax and apologize, so he has a chance to negotiate a better sentence/ plea for JS.

JS, IMO, is being bull headed, and sticking to his story and claims of innocence, so MG has to do what he can with that set of circumstances.

Sounds like cast and crew are divided over reaction to JS.

Sources say the cast has been broadly more supportive of him, while the crew has been broadly more critical.

The schism on the Chicago set was brought to the fore in recent days, we’re told, when a well-wishes card was passed around for Smollett, who was charged on Feb. 20 for allegedly staging a hoax hate crime against himself.

We’re told some people signed the card, but many refused.

“Some of the cast wanted to send him a message, like a ‘We’re thinking of you’ thing, and asked people to sign it,” said a source, “but a lot of people were disgusted. The hair and makeup people, a lot of the crew.”

https://pagesix.com/2019/03/09/empire-cast-and-crew-divided-over-jussie-smollett-drama/

"The grand jury returned two separate sets of charges. The first set are related to what Smollett told officers about the alleged attack, including that the attackers called him racial and homophobic slurs, struck him with his their hands, put a noose around his neck, and poured some sort of chemical substance on him."

"The second set of charges are related to the second interview Smollett had with police about the alleged attack later that day."

"Experts believe it is likely he will strike a plea deal and potentially not spend time in prison."

This will be so disappointing if he does not serve prison time for this crime.

It seems like he should spend time in prison for a hate crime. He stirred up plenty of unrest, and his claims were directed toward a specific group/ class.

I continue to be disappointed in SNL for not mentioning Jussie at all, unless I have missed it.

It seems like he should spend time in prison for a hate crime. He stirred up plenty of unrest, and his claims were directed toward a specific group/ class.

Yes white Trump supporters. How come he said the attackers were white but then said he recognized the 2 African American brothers as his attackers? He originally said he could see around their eyes that they were white even though they were wearing masks.

Why would he accuse white Trump supporters? There has to be more reason than the fact that he hates and cusses out Trump on his twitter feed.

Especially in sub zero weather and right by his apartment building. How convenient. And the sandwich got out unscathed. That was the silly part....LOL

Any decent hate crime offender would have smashed the sammy! Doh!

That was the first clue here...aside from below zero weather. No one hangs around looking for folks to beat up in that weather.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
utahtruecrimepod