Identified! PA - White Haven, 'Beth Doe' & Unborn Baby 169UFPA, 16-22, Dec'76 - #2 - Evelyn Colon

Status
Not open for further replies.
up-so-late method
OT: I'm sorry, @Bit of hope , but this made me chuckle, but in good way, I hasten to add! I feel your pain. As a fellow non-Native English speaker, this is too relatable; your English being impeccable 99% of the time, but it's the 1% you get wrong that really bugs you! :D

Oh, well! Carry on.

OT: I'm sorry, @Bit of hope , but this made me chuckle, but in good way, I hasten to add! I feel your pain. As a fellow non-Native English speaker, this is too relatable; your English being impeccable 99% of the time, but it's the 1% you get wrong that really bugs you! :D

Oh, well! Carry on.

Hahaha, thanks...I don't worry. A lot of times WS makes me stay up so late....grinzz

RSBM

To get the excerpt big enough to read, I snipped the pertinent part from the article, published in Aug. 1983 when Beth & Baby were buried.
https://www.newspapers.com/image/?spot=27688310
I think you misread my post a bit. I asked if you (or anyone else, for that matter) knew how LE/ME came to the conclusion at the time that Beth Doe was Serbo-Croatian? It seems so oddly specific.

Last edited:
I think you misread my post a bit. I asked if you (or anyone else, for that matter) knew how LE/ME came to the conclusion at the time that Beth Doe was Serbo-Croatian? It seems so oddly specific.

You said: "I remember even seeing a news paper clipping from the 70s or early 80s stating Beth Doe being of said origin. I do not know how LE came to that conclusion at the time (perhaps @CCJD knows?)."

So I attached a pic of the clipping from '82 stating that she had been examined by an anthropologist in Philly. That's who came up with the Serbo-Croatian ancestry. Not LE/ME.

I attached a pic of the clipping from '82 stating that she had been examined by an anthropologist in Philly. That's who came up with the Serbo-Croatian ancestry. Not LE/ME.
Yes, it was the same, but cropped version of the link I used. Considering this was the early 80s, with its limited technology, it still seems odd to be able to pinpoint her so precisely geographical.

Yes, it was the same, but cropped version of the link I used. Considering this was the early 80s, with its limited technology, it still seems odd to be able to pinpoint her so precisely geographical.

I'm not 100% sure but I'd be willing to bet that the anthropologist was Wilton Marion Krogman, PHD. I ran into his name over and over while researching PA's many unidentified from that era. He had a simply amazing career.

This is just a tidbit of who he was. There's a ton of info available about him. Wilton Marion Krogman, Ph.D. (1903-1987): the end of an era. - PubMed - NCBI

It was important enough for her to write it down WSR and where was she that no paper or pen was available..car? Maybe directions or route numbs...west south right?

It was important enough for her to write it down WSR and where was she that no paper or pen was available..car? Maybe directions or route numbs...west south right?

I was thinking West State Route... There are a lot of state routes in the Poconos area. But since the Poconos was also a booming tourist area at the time, this could mean very little.

I have visited the crime scene - the dumper did not know the dump site. There is another road under the I-80 bridge to access the Lehigh River. Why use the I-80 bridge? You have to stop traffic...Why the Lehigh River?

I have visited the crime scene - the dumper did not know the dump site. There is another road under the I-80 bridge to access the Lehigh River. Why use the I-80 bridge? You have to stop traffic...Why the Lehigh River?

As you describe it makes me think about the perpetrator and the motive. Sounds like this was an unorganized action (he/she didn't care where the suitcases would land, or supposed they would land in water) Just wanted to get rid of it. But then you think, why do all the effort putting the corps in suitcases, taken the handles of etc. and then just throwing them of a bridge, just like that, not knowing (in the dark I think) where they would actually land. It doesn't sound logical. When standing on the bridge (supposing a moonlight night) would you see (the shining of ) the water? Or would you just know/guess the water was there, somewhere? And the unorganized thing doesn't fit...IMO....looking at the way she was dismembered, her baby was taken out, put in to suitcases....hmmmm puzzling. I'm trying to get in the head of the murderer here..Any thoughts from (more wise) others? Maybe this person had a "general" knowledge of the aria...traveling the roads. Is there a rest aria for truckers?

Last edited:
As you describe it makes me think about the perpetrator and the motive. Sounds like this was an unorganized action (he/she didn't care where the suitcases would land, or supposed they would land in water) Just wanted to get rid of it. But then you think, why do all the effort putting the corps in suitcases, taken the handles of etc. and then just throwing them of a bridge, just like that, not knowing (in the dark I think) where they would actually land. It doesn't sound logical. When standing on the bridge (supposing a moonlight night) would you see (the shining of ) the water? Or would you just know/guess the water was there, somewhere? And the unorganized thing doesn't fit...IMO....looking at the way she was dismembered, her baby was taken out, put in to suitcases....hmmmm puzzling. I'm trying to get in the head of the murderer here..Any thoughts from (more wise) others? Maybe this person had a "general" knowledge of the aria...traveling the roads. Is there a rest aria for truckers?

When I drove past the spot several years ago, it doesn't look as though you'd have to stop traffic. The shoulder is wide enough to let you pull over. There was a car pulled over a bit before the bridge with the flashers on and nobody in it--he came back out of the ditch as we were driving past and returned our wave. We assume he stopped to pee, but he could have been dumping a body :p It kind of called to my attention how often there's a vehicle pulled over beside a highway like that and how seldom anybody pays any attention.

Even if somebody were dumping a body, and a cop were to stop, they could say, "I ran over something and stopped to check that my tires are okay," or something like that and the cop would most likely drive on.

I don't recall the guardrail there being terribly high. If you were in a taller vehicle, you might be able to push the suitcases out the passenger side without even leaving the vehicle.

When I drove past the spot several years ago, it doesn't look as though you'd have to stop traffic. The shoulder is wide enough to let you pull over. There was a car pulled over a bit before the bridge with the flashers on and nobody in it--he came back out of the ditch as we were driving past and returned our wave. We assume he stopped to pee, but he could have been dumping a body :p It kind of called to my attention how often there's a vehicle pulled over beside a highway like that and how seldom anybody pays any attention.

Even if somebody were dumping a body, and a cop were to stop, they could say, "I ran over something and stopped to check that my tires are okay," or something like that and the cop would most likely drive on.

I don't recall the guardrail there being terribly high. If you were in a taller vehicle, you might be able to push the suitcases out the passenger side without even leaving the vehicle.

Thanks Carbuff for your always good thinking.

Jersey Barriers are 32" high but did they have them on that part of I-80 in '76 or standard guardrails. Second pic is about 30 miles east of White Haven, from 1977.

Attachments

• Beth_Doe_I-80.jpg
    Beth_Doe_I-80.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 14
  • Beth Doe I-80 1977.JPG
    Beth Doe I-80 1977.JPG
    23 KB · Views: 15
Another thought, Fort Indiantown Gap is a Fort in Pennsylvania that housed Vietnamese refugees starting in May, 1975. Could this girl be Vietnamese? The Fort is just over an hour from where she was dumped and many refugees settled in the surrounding areas. They've been wrong on ethnicity before.

Welcome to my rabbit hole!

Fort Indiantown Gap after the fall of Saigon in 1975

Fort Indiantown Gap - Wikipedia

Nameless in history: Help us identify these Vietnamese refugees in Lancaster County

Insight into barracks addresses and other numbers on documents.

Visiting old refugee camp Fort Indiantown Gap, Pennsylvania, April 2013

Pictures; some women with white features, some children with black. Notice plaid suitcases in one picture.

Rarely seen photos: When Camp Pendleton Marines welcomed wave of Vietnamese refugees

7 digit ID card

Vietnamese Refugee Archives - Nashville Photographer: Sheri Oneal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads