Marc Gagne, 80, and Rita Fortin, 78, Canadians murdered in their mobile home, Florida, 22 March 2019

dotr

Reaction score
Quebec couple found dead in Florida motor home | CBC News

"Monique Fortin, Rita's sister, told Radio-Canada she last spoke with her by phone on Tuesday and that "she was in a good mood." She said things were fine as far as she could tell.

Neighbour last saw Gagne on Tuesday
Robert Forest, originally from Burlington, Ont., lives next door to the couple's Florida home. He said the last time he saw Gagne was on Tuesday, when he was outside his home raking leaves.

"We chatted and laughed," said Forest

He was a friend of the couple, he added, despite the language barrier. "They didn't speak much English and I don't speak a lot of French, but we've been neighbours for 21 years," he said."

The article doesn't say if anything was missing. Did they let the wrong people in to view their "for sale" mobile home? Why was the couple selling their mobile home? Moving to assisted living? Moving permanently back to Canada?

rbbm.
Un couple de Québécois assassiné à Pompano Beach | AUDREY RUEL-MANSEAU | Faits divers
Google Translate

"So nice and loved people"

The man and the woman of Saint-Côme-Linière, in Beauce, were real snowbirds . Retired 78 and 80 years preferred Florida warmth to the Quebec winter for 40 years. For the past two decades, they have lived in Pompano Beach Mobile Home Park, in the town of the same name, a coastal town just north of Fort Lauderdale.

In Quebec, in their native Saint-Côme-Linière, where they had raised their three children, the couple "without history" was known and appreciated. Mr. Gagné had run a family business of forestry equipment for many years.

"So nice and loved people," Gilles Pomerleau said yesterday on Facebook. "Such good people, good friends that I have had the honor to meet, two people of great kindness. Unhappiness persists too often, they had just buried their daughter, who died a few weeks ago. "

The couple was in terrible grief, as her 52-year-old daughter died at the end of February.
Ms. Fortin and Mr. Gagné were also grandparents and great-grandparents.

They also had different last names. Were they married? Living together? Children nearby?
Here Are Places Women Can't Take Their Husband's Name When They Get Married
"June 29, 2015
While women in the U.S. are increasingly keeping their maiden names, that’s nothing new just across the border. In Quebec, all women have been keeping their maiden names since 1981, whether they want to or not.

Provincial law in Quebec forbids a woman from taking her husband’s surname after marriage. The rule was instated soon after the creation of the Quebec Charter of Rights, which went into effect in 1976, and is intended to extend the charter’s statement on gender equality to names."

Sounds like the only recent thing out of the ordinary would be the Daughter dying and probably attending a funeral with lots of other family they rarely see. There could also be a change in beneficiary because of the Daughters death?

The article says they had lived in FL for four decades so they weren't snowbirds.

Also strange the neighbors didn't hear anything. Mobile homes are typically close together.

Sad...
We've no idea as to what time of day they were murdered, or what exact day, but it makes me lean toward blunt force or stabbing, rather than gunshots.
What tragedy this family has endured recently, what with their daughter passing away, too.
I hope we'll learn at least a little more soon. Better yet, an arrest.

Why were they a couple 'without history?'
Did a family situ occur at the funeral?
And maybe this is murder-suicide?
I will never understand why anyone would want to take out an older couple. Seems personal to me, or not a double homicide?

Why were they a couple 'without history?'
Did a family situ occur at the funeral?
And maybe this is murder-suicide?
I will never understand why anyone would want to take out an older couple. Seems personal to me, or not a double homicide?
Quebec couple found dead in Florida motor home | CBC News
Reading the above article, it says they are investigating this as a double homocide.
It also says that after the death of their daughter, they put the mobile home up for sale. (Not sure if this indicates the daughter lived with them before she died.)

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
not_just_a_phase
Back