Found Deceased KY - Gabriella Doolin, 7, Allen Co., 14 Nov 2015 #2 *Pled Not Guilty, rec'd Life Sentence*

Friday, Dec. 14th:
*Pretrial Hearing (@ 1:30pm ET) - KY – Gabriella “Gabbi” Corrine Doolin (7) (Nov. 14, 2015, Scottsdale) – *Timothy W. Madden (38) arrested (11/20/15), charged & arraigned (11/23/15) & indicted (1/13/16) on 1st degree murder, kidnapping, 1st degree rape, & 1st degree sodomy. Plead not guilty. No bond. DA will seek DP.
8/2/18 Update: Trial delayed. Since then, prosecutors announced they would be seeking the death penalty, and then there's been one delay after another as lawyers bickered over the examination of evidence in the case. Finally, a trial date was set for this month, and then the judge stunned many by removing Madden's private attorney from the case. There will be a hearing Tuesday in Allen County, Kentucky to consider the state's request to set a new trial date. If & when he goes to trial it will happen with a change of venue in Hardin County, Kentucky. Next – Scheduling conference on 9/25.
9/25/18 Update: Trial date set for 9/4/2019. Next Pretrial hearing on 12/14.

Next hearing:
1/11/19 10:00 AM
15-CR-00129 COMMONWEALTH VS. MADDEN, TIMOTHY W.
(PRETRIAL CONFERENCE)
1 0100720 KIDNAPPING-VICTIM DEATH NA
2 0109960 RAPE, 1ST DEGREE, VICTIM U/12 YEARS OF AGE NA
3 0111860 SODOMY, 1ST DEGREE, VICTIM U/12 YEARS OF AGE NA
4 0091500 MURDER

link: KCOJ Docket

Friday, January 11th:
*Pretrial Hearing (@ 10am ET) - KY – Gabriella “Gabbi” Corrine Doolin (7) (Nov. 14, 2015, Scottsdale) – *Timothy W. Madden (38) arrested (11/20/15), charged & arraigned (11/23/15) & indicted (1/13/16) on 1st degree murder, kidnapping, 1st degree rape, & 1st degree sodomy. Plead not guilty. No bond. DA will seek DP. 8/2/18 Update: Trial delayed. Since then, prosecutors announced they would be seeking the death penalty, and then there's been one delay after another as lawyers bickered over the examination of evidence in the case. Finally, a trial date was set for this month, and then the judge stunned many by removing Madden's private attorney from the case. There will be a hearing Tuesday in Allen County, Kentucky to consider the state's request to set a new trial date. If & when he goes to trial it will happen with a change of venue in Hardin County, Kentucky. Next – Scheduling conference on 9/25.
9/25/18 Update: Trial date set for 9/4/2019. Next Pretrial hearing on 12/14.
12/14/18: Next Pretrial hearing on 1/11/19.

DNA retesting granted in case of KY man charged with raping 7-year-old

SCOTTSVILLE, Ky. (WTVF) — A judge has granted a motion for the retesting of DNA evidence in the case against Timothy Madden, the man accused of raping and killing a 7-year-old in Allen County, Kentucky.

Judge Crocker granted the motion after Madden’s attorney filed it on March 25. According to court documents, the defense has retained an independent lab to act as a defense expert for forensic testing.
[.....]
A change of venue was also granted in the case. A judge later disqualified Madden's private attorney and a public defender was assigned to the case instead, which started the process all over.

His trial date has been set for September 4, 2019 . Prosecutors said they will be seeking the death penalty in the case.

I have his next status hearing on 5/3.

I don’t understand WHY it keeps getting postponed. Is this a tactic by the defense? How is this allowed?? Ugh!!
bbm
I would assume the delay is due to the defense -- and now with a new defense attorney, a delay would be expected. Arrrggghh.
Many of us here on WS have followed a lot of trials and their pre-trial goings-on, and yes, one unsurprising action of the defense is to delay, delay, delay -- even if the defendant is in jail and is "innocent." It does give the defense more time if a new def. attorney comes on board, or to try to find people who will testify to disease or defect or other health problems, family problems, defense-lawyer-getting-sick, a special defense witness has gotten lost in the Gobi desert or some such, etc., etc. Ho-hum
But it has been almost 3 1/2 years. Ridiculous.
And what's this about the judge replacing/removing the defense attorney. Do we know why? If so, I have somehow missed it...

A bit belated, nevertheless,

Welcome to Websleuths,
Frozen !!

:)

Well-known attorney serving time in KY for 2015 DUI

"Lock was removed from the case in 2018 and replaced by a public defender so that Madden could receive state funding for special services."

Does this mean that Madden couldn't afford an attorney, so the public will pay for his defense?

That's what I understand it to mean. There was some question as to why Madden was not considered indigent at the very beginning.

My personal interpretation is the defense is using every legal option to give Madden more time on earth. The formal opinion is the prosecution wants every "i" dotted and "t" crossed since this is a capital punishment case and if he is found guilty no one wants the decision over-turned on appeal.

That's what I understand it to mean. There was some question as to why Madden was not considered indigent at the very beginning.

My personal interpretation is the defense is using every legal option to give Madden more time on earth. The formal opinion is the prosecution wants every "i" dotted and "t" crossed since this is a capital punishment case and if he is found guilty no one wants the decision over-turned on appeal.

I can understand this. But it seems extreme. The judicial process has become so "criminal" centered, that victims rights get lost and completely marginalized.

I would like to see a cap on spending, even for capital punishment cases, for indigent criminals. There seems to be an unlimited blank check on the defense.

There is a problem with the endless appeal process. The appeals can go on for decades.

I will agree that we have the best justice system in the world, but it has become too liberal, with out common sense.

Friday, May 3rd:
*Status Hearing (@ am ET) - KY – Gabriella “Gabbi” Corrine Doolin (7) (Nov. 14, 2015, Scottsdale) – *Timothy W. Madden (38) arrested (11/20/15), charged & arraigned (11/23/15) & indicted (1/13/16) on 1st degree murder, kidnapping, 1st degree rape, & 1st degree sodomy. Plead not guilty. No bond. DA will seek DP. Allen County #15-CR-00129
Trial set to start 9/4/19. Allen County to Hardin County.
8/2/18 Update: Trial delayed. Since then, prosecutors announced they would be seeking the death penalty, and then there's been one delay after another as lawyers bickered over the examination of evidence in the case. Finally, a trial date was set for this month, and then the judge stunned many by removing Madden's private attorney from the case. There will be a hearing Tuesday in Allen County, Kentucky to consider the state's request to set a new trial date. If & when he goes to trial it will happen with a change of venue in Hardin County, Kentucky. Next – Scheduling conference on 9/25.
9/25/18 Update: Trial date set for 9/4/2019. Next Pretrial hearing on 12/14. 12/14/18: Next Pretrial hearing on 1/11/19.
1/11/19 Update: Deadline to file any Motions by 3/15, responses in April. Judge says she will not continue trial again. Madden has new Public Defender & there is a new DA. New PDA wants DNA retested. Granted. Next Status hearing on 5/3.

New developments made in Gabbi Doolin case as trial approaches

A set of new lawyers have brought more questions about critical DNA evidence could in the rape and murder of Gabbi Doolin.

The trial is scheduled to begin September 4 of this year.

From the above article:

“Madden's lawyer is already asking to re-test DNA evidence, which was granted by the judge.

"In a death penalty case, they want to make sure they afford the criminally accused all the due process they possibly can," said Leonardo.

After his arrest, Madden said he did cooperate with police.

"I gave them my clothes that night," he said in the 2015 jailhouse interview.

And prosecutors said DNA from Madden's pants linked him to the crime. But how much of a link?

"Is it a 60 percent match or a 98 percent match," asked Leonardo.

With no apparent witnesses, he said the DNA blood evidence will be crucial for arguments on both sides of the case.“

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cricketcms
Back