Found Deceased SC - Samantha Josephson, 21, Columbia, 29 March 2019 *Arrest*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cody Alcorn

What happened in the last 24 hours in Columbia should be a wake up call. This is horrific! This is senseless! This was a crime of opportunity and it could have been anyone’s child! I know the pain Samantha’s parents are going through. No words will ever comfort them and time won’t make it easier. It’s a new way of life for them. This homicide makes me so damn mad. I knew last night when I saw Columbia Police Department tweet the missing person alert it wasn’t going to end well. It’s not just students who should be diligent. It’s everyone. As a journalist, I shouldn’t give an opinion but I hope this guy pays the ULTIMATE punishment for taking this young woman from her parents and friends! #justiceforSamantha

ETA - this is from journalist Cody Alcorn.

I would never take Uber or Lyft. Our city has multiple taxi companies that have been in business for decades and their vehicles are clearly recognizable. There are just too many evil people out and about to take chances.
Ya but taxi drivers murder people too.

Basically a female is not 100% safe getting into a car with an unknown man. Or jogging. Or going for a walk. Or walking to her car in a parking lot. Or going on a Tinder date.

I had a guy hop into my car one time thinking I was an Uber. I was so confused and didn’t realize why he’d jumped in my backseat but the friend I was dropping off who had just gotten out of the car figured it out quick and said ‘dude she isn’t an uber’. So for people asking why she got in so fast and confidently I don’t know but that guy sure didn’t hesitate.
I think late at night when patrons are leaving bars after drinking, and there are so many ride share cars outside, it is easy to mixup. Especially with a generic looking car. Add a couple drinks to the scenario, wonder why this doesn’t happen a lot. It will probably start happening more once men see the news and how easy it is.

Now, I am embarrassed to say that in hindsight I have made some BIG mistakes, like taking STUPID chances on helping them carry my groceries if I feel like I trust them and am really having back pain or whatever. Stupid. I shouldn’t trust females either lol.

This made me think of something pertaining to crime and easy victims. Almost every grocery store offers some type of delivery service now. Usually outsourced (Shipt, instacart, etc). Prime oppty for either the delivery person to be attacked (they carry groceries into your house if requested) or the resident. Haven’t heard of it yet, but I’m sure we will. I’ve used them before with no issues at all. Most of the delivery people were college students or moms.

I wonder if he was in Atlanta the night of Friday, September 8, 2017, or if he was displaced by Irma, because many people came to Atlanta after the hurricane temporarily. I ended up in a fake Uber about 2am leaving the area of the Braves game where there is heavy Uber activity. When I saw his hair, cheekbones and beard, it reminded me of the driver. There was a guy sitting in the back that offered to "share his ride". That was part of the con to make it look like an Uber. So I popped in the back and told the driver I was going to the Hampton Inn at the intersection. But then instead of stopping at my hotel they turned the corner and hopped onto I-285 East with me.

It may not be the same guy, but the general setting is similar (although it would seem that anyone pulling that stunt would choose similar settings).

But also, my abduction was "interesting" in that it seemed they had thought some parts out and had a game plan, but in other ways it seemed somewhat amateurish.

Once I realized what was happening, I started going off on them in my most authoritative voice that they "BETTER STOP THIS %#&@ CAR RIGHT NOW!!!" And they both absolutely just ignored me. Neither one seemed surprised that I was flipping out, and neither one said a single word nor even looked in my direction. It was like they had anticipated that whoever they took was going to start freaking out, and they agreed that they would just ignore her so as not to escalate it further, or perhaps hope she runs out of steam and become weepy and compliant? I can't say what the expectation was but the fact that neither one said a word and sat there like I wasn't even in the car even though I was shouting at the top of my lungs...seemed planned.

What I think they didn't plan for was abducting a former police officer. After about a minute and a half of having my demands completely ignored, I jacked the guy up that was sitting next to me in the back seat into a chicken wing and pinned him against his door. At that point, I finally got a verbal response from him: "YOU'RE BEING A *****!!!!" But it was even the way he said it, like a 16-year-old "shout-whining" at his mom for not letting him go to the party on a Friday night! Like I had spoiled his big plans for the evening! That really struck me, even in the moment. It was so absurd then, and despite the trauma I still experience, it's still so absurd to me now that it's actually laughable.

Anyway, at this point, the driver, who never did say a word start-to-finish, must have become aware that things were spiraling out of control in the back and he pulled off the next exit and I jumped out of the car and ran to a nearby Waffle House. I don't think I'd ever been so happy to see a Waffle House in my whole life.

Point is, there were no child locks on, and there was no weapon presented to subdue me (thank God!). IF (and this is a big "if") this is the same guy, maybe he learned from his experience with me and (God forbid) with others, and started using child locks. And as someone suggested that Samantha may have been shot, started trying to subdue with a gun and she fought and he shot her. But clearly doesn't quite know how to clean up after that, despite his effort with the bleach bottle. Still seems a bit amateurish overall. Over a year and a half from my experience, I can see the "clowns" I dealt with upping their game a little bit but still not quite being professionals yet.

While I may have done my best to appear brave to them, I was terrified and fairly confident that I was going to end up in a dumpster before sunrise. I'm glad that I didn't end up as another thread on this site. But I'm haunted by what happened to Samantha because I know what that mind-bending desperate fear feels like when it washes over you the moment you realize you're being abducted, and I'm devastated that she couldn't escape.

Omg. Horrifying. Glad you were ok and had the wherewithal to take command even though you were scared out of your mind. It reminded me of the jogger in WA state a couple years ago who screamed “Not today, MF’er!” She credits that with saving her life. She’d just taken a self defense class from law enforcement I think. Exact same approach you used.

Nice work.

Uber and Lyft are not at fault for this crime. Aside from the app, which makes it very easy for patrons to track and verify their car, drivers display a decal in their window. You are just as likely to be killed by a taxi driver or fake taxi. Nate killed Samantha. If you believe your death is something you can control, the best way of avoiding a situation like this is to stay with friends. How many times do we hear how a girl is separated (or outright ditched) by her companions only to end up murdered or dead?

I believe the perp is an example of a privileged upbringing with a high level of pressure (according to his webpage) and when he got into college and began to fail (couldn't compete, maybe lost his scholarship, who knows) he fell into drugs and became obsessed with his own image and entitlement. It is likely S was unfortunately available to serve as his outlet for a lot of anger. I think he saw her standing there and, knowing that area is a frequent pickup spot, took the opportunity. I won't be surprised if we hear they have cctv of his car in that area frequently.

As I was reading the comments of people vowing to "stick to taxi cabs" I was reminded of the UVA cases where the perp , Jesse Matthews, was a cab driver and used that ruse to get Morgan Harrington in his car after a Metallica concert. We can take steps to be more careful but cabs aren't always on the up and up either--especially for drunk young people who get separated from their groups.

I'm very familiar with Five Points, and the spot where she was abducted. I hung out late at night at more mature hangouts than the typical college crowd hung out in, mostly. '07-'10 when I lived down there.

Five Points has had its share of nasty stuff happen in it over the years, so CPD stepped up foot patrols and put in cameras along Harden. Literally thousands of young people congregate along there on some nights when school is in session.

Far as this creep thinking she was a prostitute, that's laughable, to me. Harden is not where prostitutes hang out, far as I know, I don't know where Columbia's red light district might be. It's definitely not in Five Points.

MOO is this was a crime of opportunity for a very sick individual, and he took advantage of someone who wasn't paying attention to their situation.

I think late at night when patrons are leaving bars after drinking, and there are so many ride share cars outside, it is easy to mixup. Especially with a generic looking car. Add a couple drinks to the scenario, wonder why this doesn’t happen a lot. It will probably start happening more once men see the news and how easy it is.
Samantha does appear to look over at the car before it makes the right turn and into the parking space. Perhaps he did speak to her to ask if she had called an Uber. The combination of most likely having had a few drinks, it being 2am and her possibly being tired, and that she is still using her phone in the photos, leads me to believe she was definitely distracted, assumed it was her Uber and hopped in without a thought. And there was a predator waiting there in that car. Stinks beyond measure. JMO

Last edited:
As awful a thought as this it, it is one plausible explanation as to why he'd pull over like that

I wonder if possibly he thought he knew her, maybe she looked familiar.
I’m guessing she never crossed paths with him.
Since he was out at the time bars were closing, I think there’s a good chance he was under the influence.
Just disgusting.
He’s ruined life for many, something he had zero right to do.

I used a taxi and after several times, lucked up on an older gentleman that was nice and knowledgeable. I asked for his card and when I needed rides, I would call or text him directly. I had a picture of his driver’s license also.
I’ve used Uber but hated getting a different person each time with widely varying degrees of service.

I used a taxi and after several times, lucked up on an older gentleman that was nice and knowledgeable. I asked for his card and when I needed rides, I would call or text him directly. I had a picture of his driver’s license also.
I’ve used Uber but hated getting a different person each time with widely varying degrees of service.
That’s a good idea to use one driver if possible.

You know it’s just as dangerous for the taxi drivers and ride share drivers as well. They run the risk of dangerous and deadly passengers.

I’ve done the same when we were on vacay for extended periods. Can’t be too safe.
I think I prefer to drive my own car.

Last edited:
RSBM

The question I have is, what made him take a right turn at the intersection and then pull into that parking spot close to where Samantha was waiting? Was it really just dumb luck on his part that he happened to choose that exact spot where a beautiful young woman just so happened to be waiting for an Uber and literally ran up and jumped into his car?

The Impala appeared to be waiting at the intersection before turning right. What I'm wondering is, while he was at the intersection, if he saw her there standing alone and if he had rolled down his window and called out to her to ask if she was waiting for an Uber. This could have happened before what we see on the video. Because then he takes the right turn after the motorcycle goes by and pulls in and Samantha runs up to his car and is opening the door before he even comes to a complete stop. How did she even know that was HER Uber, or even an Uber at all? It doesn't appear that there was any communication between them before she just hopped on in. You can see the glare off of the passenger side window glass showing the window was 100% up when he pulled in so he couldn't have been communicating with her then. But possibly earlier while he was idling there at the intersection?

I wish we knew the details of the Uber that was originally supposed to pick her up. Was it coincidentally a similar make, model, and color, with a similar driver?

Good post. I like your idea he called out to her from the intersection.

As I was reading the comments of people vowing to "stick to taxi cabs" I was reminded of the UVA cases where the perp , Jesse Matthews, was a cab driver and used that ruse to get Morgan Harrington in his car after a Metallica concert. We can take steps to be more careful but cabs aren't always on the up and up either--especially for drunk young people who get separated from their groups.

Morgan has been on my mind since hearing about Samantha.
Hopefully this is a wake up call & many young people learn from this tragic, senseless event.

Last edited:
If you look at streetview, this is not an intersection. He was at the Exxon gas station next door to the curb. IMO - this is when he saw her waiting on the curb on her phone and plotted to pull over to her and see if she would get in.

Wonder if he was ‘lying in wait’ for a female?
Thanks for clarification.

ETA: glad he was caught before he made a habit of portraying himself as an Uber.

Last edited:
Bristow Marchant on Twitter
I was out in Five Points last night talking to people about #SamanthaJosephson. It can be awkward to ask strangers on the street to give their opinion of something, but every single person I talked to had a strong reaction to this case - especially women.

Teddy Kulmala on Twitter

We also have the same questions as you. And, in the coming weeks as we bring you stories about Samantha, her tragically short life and the man accused of taking it, we will try to get answers to those questions, not the least of which at this point is probably: "Why?"

Teddy Kulmala on Twitter
As journalists who live and work in Columbia, who have had our nights out in Five Points and some of whom graduated from USC, we share your fear and grief over what has happened.

Teddy Kulmala on Twitter
The #SamanthaJosephson case has shaken the city of Columbia and beyond to its core because it embodies the fears of so many people who head to bars to enjoy a night out with friends, and parents who send their children off to college hoping, praying and trusting they'll be safe.

Teddy Kulmala on Twitter
I didn't sleep much last night. When I did, it was with the lights on. My mind kept racing about the #SamanthaJosephson case, including the unspeakable grief her loved ones are experiencing and the terror she must have felt in her final moments.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OccasionalMallard