ND - Several bodies found at Mandan business, 1 April 2019 *Arrest* #2

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Could the chiro office have been the tenant? It appears on street view that there are several businesses in the building.

So if he is able to move his Monday appointment back four hours without much more than a call, and he himself made the call- then it tells me he was not making much if any money. He *might have used his GI bill $$ to pay for chiro school. The LPN program he took was very inexpensive, so he should not have exhausted his aid there.

HOWEVER, this (Tuition and cost of attendance ) indicates that chiro school cost him upwards of $100k just for tuition. GI Bill doesn't cover that much- so I suspect there were pretty hefty student loans outstanding. That and his likely patient base plus what I mentioned previously about the nature of chiro as a career these days- I see $$$$ as the motive for this senseless tragedy.

Last edited:
Hmmm
'Isaak attended Palmer College of Chiropractic in Iowa, graduating in 2006. That same year, he became a licensed chiropractor, according to the North Dakota Board of Chiropractic Examiners. His license information does not indicate any discipline.'

That's different than what was posted previously. Somehow we were under the impression there was a gap from when he started practicing until he obtained his license.

Washburn residents shaken after chiropractor’s arrest
I believe GFH is first to report he became licensed 2006 -- which is probably true.

Earlier news reports were that he started practicing in Hazen, ND in 2006, but not licensed until 2009, (and license renewal required later this year).

Glad the latest news article cleared that up.

Could the chiro office have been the tenant? It appears on street view that there are several businesses in the building.

So if he is able to move his Monday appointment back four hours without much more than a call, and he himself made the call- then it tells me he was not making much if any money. He *might have used his GI bill $$ to pay for chiro school. The LPN program he took was very inexpensive, so he should not have exhausted his aid there.

HOWEVER, this (Tuition and cost of attendance ) indicates that chiro school cost him upwards of $100k just for tuition. GI Bill doesn't cover that much- so I suspect there were pretty hefty student loans outstanding. That and his likely patient base plus what I mentioned previously about the nature of chiro as a career these days- I see $$$$ as the motive for this senseless tragedy.
No reports RJR managed his office space, but it's confirmed that RJR became property managers of the mobile home park where CI resided when ownership changed last fall 2018.

Just an observation - the difference between WSers and the rest of the world. The rest of the population is thinking "Wow I wonder what his motive was." Those of us at Websleuths are thinking "I HAVE to figure out what his motive was!"

Hi and Welcome!! It would make sense that only one was the target and the rest were just victims of circumstances because they happen to be there. But.............would he really think that one person would be the only person there? He could have easily found out where that one person lived and stalked that person until he caught them alone and then do his nasty deed. Then again, maybe he didn't care how many extra people he had to kill. Like someone said earlier (can't remember who---sorry), if it was a matter of money and book keeping, the books wouldn't change if she were no longer around so whatever it was, would have still been found out.
Agreed. I’m just thinking out loud, he was obviously pushed over the edge about something and I don’t think we’re going to know until the trial unfortunately. I keep going back and forth, maybe he did think it would just be 1-2 people there since it was an hour or more before they were scheduled to open. I go in extra early to my office because no one is there and I get more done, I’m able to concentrate without the noise. I’m stuck on The order they were killed. I think the owner called 911 because he was still alive for brief time and that would explain the medical call/cardiac arrest if he wasn’t able to communicate well the operator Could have easily assumed it was due to a cardiac issue

Agreed. I’m just thinking out loud, he was obviously pushed over the edge about something and I don’t think we’re going to know until the trial unfortunately. I keep going back and forth, maybe he did think it would just be 1-2 people there since it was an hour or more before they were scheduled to open. I go in extra early to my office because no one is there and I get more done, I’m able to concentrate without the noise. I’m stuck on The order they were killed. I think the owner called 911 because he was still alive for brief time and that would explain the medical call/cardiac arrest if he wasn’t able to communicate well the operator Could have easily assumed it was due to a cardiac issue
Yeah, I too think we’ll have to wait for motive.

I think this guy’s main target was the owner, but he planned to kill everyone he could.

He seems to have had a general idea as to how many people would be there, on account of the fact that he didn’t show up with overwhelming firepower.

I don’t think that 911 call came from the victims, as shooting, stabbing, and a 30-40 minute delay between the event and the call, isn’t really conducive to that.

The owner of the trailer park said he was a model tenant who always paid his rent on time so there wouldn't have been any back rent issues. I'm with you---seems more personal than financial.

Nope. I don't believe that 13 years later, long past divorce and child support, that CI is suddenly having financial problems, causing him to massacre 4 local residents. This was about CI's selfish needs not being met.

The common, emerging report is he was a loner, creepy, under the radar community member. I believe CI fits the profile of a man longing to be a star-- whether on the high school football field or in his career. I believe he's a man that's been collecting real or imagined injustices he perceived against him, and they were stock piled quite high.

In his eyes, CI was always better, smarter, but as a chiropractor-- he was god like. But still nobody noticed him, praised, or recognized him.

From his own words, look at all the experts he believed (as a chiro) he was more powerful than:

“I went to medical doctors, physical therapists, neurologists, neurosurgeons, even Mayo Clinic, and for the most part, the medical community was really unable to help me,” Isaak said in the article. “I started seeing a chiropractor that my father was going to, and they actually got me to a point so that I could play football again. That’s what go [sic] me on the road to chiropractic, because all of these people that were in the field and supposed to be experts really couldn’t do anything for me, but a chiropractor could.”

The question now is what triggered it-- the time bomb to explode? I'm inclined to believe it was either about his services, or a love interest. And something he perceived to be true. ETA: I think owner most likely the target, and if this was about the woman, he killed her last -- making her watch.

One thing is for certain -- he's finally getting the spotlight and recognition he wanted. MOO

Mandan, North Dakota Murders: Chad Isaak, Ex-Military Medic, Arrested For Quadruple Homicide

Last edited:
Nope. I don't believe that 13 years later, long past divorce and child support, that CI is suddenly having financial problems, causing him to massacre 4 local residents. This was about CI's selfish needs not being met.

The common, emerging report is he was a loner, creepy, under the radar community member. I believe CI fits the profile of a man longing to be a star-- whether on the high school football field or in his career. I believe he's a man that's been collecting real or imagined injustices he perceived against him, and they were stock piled quite high.

In his eyes, CI was always better, smarter, but as a chiropractor-- he was god like. But still nobody noticed him, praised, or recognized him.

From his own words, look at all the experts he believed (as a chiro) he was more powerful than:

“I went to medical doctors, physical therapists, neurologists, neurosurgeons, even Mayo Clinic, and for the most part, the medical community was really unable to help me,” Isaak said in the article. “I started seeing a chiropractor that my father was going to, and they actually got me to a point so that I could play football again. That’s what go [sic] me on the road to chiropractic, because all of these people that were in the field and supposed to be experts really couldn’t do anything for me, but a chiropractor could.”

The question now is what triggered it-- the time bomb to explode? I'm inclined to believe it was either about his services, or a love interest. And something he perceived to be true. ETA: I think owner most likely the target, and if this was about the woman, he killed her last -- making her watch.

One thing is for certain -- he's finally getting the spotlight and recognition he wanted. MOO

Mandan, North Dakota Murders: Chad Isaak, Ex-Military Medic, Arrested For Quadruple Homicide

BBM: Hold on just a cotton picking minute! He was in a high school graduating class of THREE yet the school had a football team? And he had all these medical issues yet the NAVY took him? Color me skeptical. VERY skeptical.

IMO, a good chiropractor can help resolve problems that other medical experts cannot. They give hope to the hopeless. To me, that is not power, that is giving relief. To me that is not arrogance, it is being confident in the value of chiropracty.

Just because he could relieve back, neck, etc., pain doesn’t mean he thought he was better than a neurosurgeon, a neurologist, an oncologist, an endocrinologist, or a nephrologist . That would be a real stretch.

I just see it differently, that is all.

Welcome Kyshoegal, a relative newbie.:):)
Yes, something pushed CI over the edge, which we are trying to determine.
Coming in earlier, he may not have thought, there would be several persons on the premises, which then got in the way of his initial reason.o_O
As you state, perhaps this may be clearer, as we proceed to a trial.
MOO.

BBM: Hold on just a cotton picking minute! He was in a high school graduating class of THREE yet the school had a football team? And he had all these medical issues yet the NAVY took him? Color me skeptical. VERY skeptical.

Isaak said he decided to pursue a career as a chiropractor after he was injured playing high school football.

“I went to medical doctors, physical therapists, neurologists, neurosurgeons, even Mayo Clinic,.....

I don't think he'd be claiming to have played HS football in an interview he gave in his home area to promote his business.

MOO

Last edited:
Re: He was in a high school graduating class of THREE yet the school had a football team?

A football fanatic at a school too small for their own team, Isaak was forced to play on a multi-school team in Underwood. . .

https://www.bhgnews.com/image/cache...HRi9Ql9TlSD_s9tp0GcXSpzYPqJXic87YM5g2j1_qmcos
HEALTHY HABITS 2015
In the early nineties, only a couple of years before it closed, Chad Isaak was a student at Riverdale High School. A football fanatic at a school too small for their own team, Isaak was forced to play on a multi-school team in Underwood. But after he fractured a vertebrae in his neck, it looked like he may have had to hang up his jersey. “I went to medical doctors, physical therapists, neurologists, neurosurgeons, even mayo clinic. and for the most part, the medical community was really unable to help me,” Isaak said.
[...]
Isaak knew the career meant running his own business, something he had never wanted to do. So he explored other options. He spent five years in the military as a medic and got a degree in nursing, only confirming that chiropractic was what he wanted to pursue. So he spent another 5 years at Palmer College of Chiropractic in Iowa, until in 2006, he could finally call himself chiropractic physician Dr. Chad Isaak.
[...]
Isaak said the most rewarding part of his job is being able to help people find a solution to their problems and improve their quality of life.
[...]

Small towns in ND often team up with other small schools in the same area to have enough students to form a sports team. Probably Underwood ND.

I hope I’ll be able to catch up on the discussion re: motive but I thought I’d throw an idea in the ring (sorry if somebody already chimed in with something similar)...

Could one of the folk at RJR have been treated unsuccessfully by CI and was looking to sue for malpractice? Perhaps he had no malpractice insurance?

I'm just really skeptical about the vertebral fracture and the Navy subsequently taking him.
A nurse of my acquaintance has been rejected from military service due to a history of childhood asthma. Not current asthma- a history of asthma 20 years prior which is resolved. A Registered Nurse- much in demand. I cannot see them taking someone for generic enlistment who has a history of a vertebral fracture.

I'm just really skeptical about the vertebral fracture and the Navy subsequently taking him.
A nurse of my acquaintance has been rejected from military service due to a history of childhood asthma. Not current asthma- a history of asthma 20 years prior which is resolved. A Registered Nurse- much in demand. I cannot see them taking someone for generic enlistment who has a history of a vertebral fracture.
He might not have told them.

Plenty of people keep previous medical issues a secret, and unless it is apparent during the physical exam (scar), he could have gotten through.

He might not have told them.

Plenty of people keep previous medical issues a secret, and unless it is apparent during the physical exam (scar), he could have gotten through.
TRUE! My late father had a metal plate in his head from a childhood skull fracture that he 'forgot' to tell the USAF.

I hope I’ll be able to catch up on the discussion re: motive but I thought I’d throw an idea in the ring (sorry if somebody already chimed in with something similar)...

Could one of the folk at RJR have been treated unsuccessfully by CI and was looking to sue for malpractice? Perhaps he had no malpractice insurance?

Please correct me if wrong, but it was established that none of the victims were patients of CI.

My opinion is that this guy was mentally ill and untreated for years, and was an angry murderer. No excuse for murdering four innocent people. Just another nut-job who managed to lead a relatively normal life. A little weird. Not quite right. Who knows what sets these people off? That's what is scary. They live among us. In his head he had a motive. Perhaps the owner of RJR came by, told him "He had to fix up his property." Maybe they were going to raise the rent? Something with RJR set him off.

IMO, a good chiropractor can help resolve problems that other medical experts cannot. They give hope to the hopeless. To me, that is not power, that is giving relief. To me that is not arrogance, it is being confident in the value of chiropracty.

Just because he could relieve back, neck, etc., pain doesn’t mean he thought he was better than a neurosurgeon, a neurologist, an oncologist, an endocrinologist, or a nephrologist . That would be a real stretch.

I just see it differently, that is all.

I completely agree that a good chiropractor can "help resolve problems that other medical experts cannot. They give hope to the hopeless."

However, I also believe that providing relief after others fail can give a personality disordered individual like CI, a god complex and/or distorted opinion of themselves. It's about his selfish, distorted perception of himself and his unmet needs that allowed him to massacre members of his community.

I also believe his own choice of words are valuable, and being used right now to develop the profile of the mass killer that he's alleged to be. MOO

Last edited:

Reportedly, there were no disciplinary claims against CI.

However, I believe it's very likely that he may have treated one of the folk at RJR unsuccessfully, and not that they were suing him -- but that they were telling others in the community about it! I definitely believe that could have been the trigger. MOO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member