AL AL - J.B. Beasley, 17, & Tracie Hawlett, 17, Ozark, 31 July 1999 #4 *ARREST*

Status
Not open for further replies.
An interesting slice of bread to munch on is this. I remember in the previous thread it was mentioned tire tread was found off of 123. The poster quoted a link to AMW and like many other links the information could not be found. I never heard or seen that mentioned before. Also the unspent 9mm which may or may not be the same the type of 9mm brand used in the gun. For whatever thats worth.

So we have Merritts comments where she directed had the girls follow on broad street to 231 (safest, fastest and most logical route to 231 from the store) then lost sight of them after she goes past the "hump" (doesn't exist, there is a slight curvature in the road prior to hitting the stop light and downtown Ozark.) Between the light and store there are a couple of places to turn but first, the assumptions of being pulled over by a cop is weak, because Merritt would have seen the lights of the cops. The girls were according to her, close, within rear view sight. So even if a someone was traveling towards the store she would have noted a cop going in the direction as well. Also the chances of the girls stopping on the road is slim to none be it a stranger or not, assuming these girls dont make that a habit since most dont. Most of the street is fairly well lit too.

So as I mentioned before they could have turned off to depot lane. But as i mentioned it's a short distance and they would come back out towards the store and broad street, if they turned right after hitting depot. If left it would bring them back to broad. Taking a left would take you down the street where McCraney lived during the time. (Road isnt far from depot) Traveling down the road you pass a small housing area, where you can turn into or keep traveling the short road and hitting a stop sign. Taking a right takes you to Downton, you can for the most see some businesses from there. Taking left takes you back to hwy 27. Takes you to a another stop sign where you can take a left back to the store (store can be seen from the left) or right taking to towards hwy 27.

Its logical they turned down the road McCraney went, this is where things could have started.....I will not speculate.

So back to what I was thinking about where the murders took place. There is a possibility it occured on herring. I recall a few years ago, around 1-2 am hearing 6 gunshots outside when I worked at the hospital. Reported it and after some time a cop drove through and nothing came about it. No dogs barked, no lights turned on in the apartments or houses to the left. (There is a really obnoxious tiny dog that barks at the wind is outside at all times roaming the streets---only mentioned because he didn't go ape **** despite 10 min prior he was barking at me and the cars driving past).

On herring the houses are close but not as close as one would think. And there is a creek, a small trail, an abandoned looking barn in the woods. Pitch black at night. I know some pictures were posted in a previous thread. So the killer could have easily driven the vehicle with them there and taken them down said trail before bringing them to the car and discharging 2 fatal shots. Also I'm not sure how concrete the statements about the blood that was sprayed underneath the car suggesting traveling after being shot, mind you it took 6 hours to figure out one can open the trunk from the inside and why it wasn't even thought to open it by other means is odd. They just received missing persons report, warrant or not they could've opened with minimal alterations to what little evidence they had. Then the person could have walked home to wherever, be it close, semi close or not. Rarely did OPD pull over and interact with people walking at night unless it was a suspicious person reported like the few resident alcoholic and the few schizophrenic people they always arrested. (You hear reports over the scanner if they do) Depending on what he was wearing he could have been "jogging" not unheard for a person to go exercise at odd hours, they had one gym that was open 24/7 across from the police department. Also the way the 9mm is described laying on the leg, if the killer drove he would have had to stop, open the trunk a 2nd to place the shell or he did it there only opening and closing it once.

Should be noted, I've noticed how shocked people are (not necessarily here) the car and potential murder happened not far from herring. The police department is a just a little bit away from downtown but its not a bustling area especially at night time. It's not so ballsy as someone would imagine.

It's perfectly reasonable for shots tobe fired or what sounds like shots to go unnoticed or reported in Ozark, I've heard what sounded like random gunshots in and around my neighborhood where nothing came about and it's not related to Ft. Rucker which I dont live far from the gate but I'm even closer to the helicopter field. I forget off hand where the ranges are.

So unless an alien swooped down onto broad street and abducted them there is no reason for Merritt to have lost sight of them unless she was exceeding the 25 mph limit (which didnt happen since its patrolled heavy and prone to pulling people over there) and the girls were creeping like a snail down the road.
Similar to Newton, Alabama. The ones that are familiar know once you hit newton you drive that speed limit.

Too add, it's not crazy to wonder why Merritt stopped at the store even though it was closed. Depending on where she lived and where she was coming from (surrounding country towns) she may have forgotten since some lights do stay on. There was no drink machine outside, no outside restroom, nor exterior camera during that time. Just to clear that up. I've seen it posted before and people were confused. Hence the excellent picture from the camera on the inside pointed at the gas pumps. I believe also there was only 2 pumps at that time vs the 4 there now, I'll have to check on that. At one time it was a junior foods store, then big little store. Its been changed a number of times.

** I was going to post some pictures of the creek, barn, and the neighborhood where he lived but the files are too big.**

I will work on then later today, I'll take some additional ones too

"It's perfectly reasonable for shots tobe fired or what sounds like shots to go unnoticed or reported in Ozark, I've heard what sounded like random gunshots in and around my neighborhood where nothing came about and it's not related to Ft. Rucker which I dont live far from the gate but I'm even closer to the helicopter field. I forget off hand where the ranges are."
I believe this falls under the "I thought it was fire works" rule. Unless you have done a lot of shooting, or like myself live in Montgomery its easy not to pay attention to them.

I can't access this article - stupid EU rules - does it have a date? TIA! :)

Oh - and edited - is this in Montgomery County or Dale County?
It’s Dale County. He was bound over to the Grand Jury. They don’t have a date certain when that will happen. It’s a very long article.

“A man charged in the 1999 deaths of two Dothan girls was bound over to a grand jury by District Judge Stan Garner Jr. on Wednesday, April 3.

Coley McCraney, 45, was arrested on Saturday, March 16, and charged with five counts of capital murder and rape in the 1999 deaths of J.B. Beasley and Tracie Hawlett.

A preliminary hearing to determine if there was probable cause for a trial against McCraney was held at the Dale County Courthouse. He is represented by David Harrison and Andrew Scarborough. Thirty-third Judicial Circuit District Attorney Kirke Adams and Assistant DA David Emery represented the state.”

McCraney case bound over to grand jury

182x100px-LL-afeb3b6f_Thank20You205BRed5D.gif
dalecountychic!! :)

One final thought before I back off of this thread for a while, I would remind all posters to be mindful of the Terms of Service (TOS). For the newbies, they are listed on the home page. This thread has been shut down once before. Lets follow the rules so it won't happen again. Also, remember that the families of the victims and possibly the accused read here. Choose your words carefully.

Thank you, TedMac, very well stated.

The end of this video posted yesterday says the date is June 6th.

Kevin Saffold speaks on Coley McCraney case

I have no idea if what I'm about to say violates any terms of service with this site. I guess I'll just say it and let the moderators sort it out.

The gentleman in this video, am I correct in saying he is some sort of community activist? Is it safe to assume he is potentially trying to lay foundation down to race being an issue? If that's the case I would like to make a couple points.

I will be the first to admit that since the beginning of my unprofessional involvement in this case, I personally tunnel-visioned onto a few suspects. None of them were African American or anything other than what would be considered Caucasian. In fact the only reference I can recall to any African-American being brought up in past years had to do with the escapee who killed his supervisor in Montgomery and parked the car in the same location on Herring.

Furthermore, let us not forget how this suspect came to be identified. All indications seem to point that this was not a witch-hunt where LE was working backwards trying to pin something on him. DNA - enough said. Let us not forget, prior to this, the only arrest was of an individual who was Caucasian. He was only released after DNA appeared to exonerate him.

And finally, where does this individual have any credibility? Unless I've missed an update, this individual appears to have enough legal troubles of their own... which you could easily locate with a simple search.

Thanks for posting the info on the video. My frustration was not directed towards the poster lol.

I've tried to just remain silent on this lately, to let justice take its course... but this frustrated me. If my assumptions are wrong on what this community leader is attempting to do, then I apologize.

Last edited:
Lol yeah that guy looks to have been arrested over 56 times. It's bad enough the potential for this trial to become a complete circus and hopefully more people such as the one in the video doesn't come out of the woodwork. *Founder of solutions for justice * he is type to go out and look for and create trouble where trouble doesn't exist. Although he very little dialogue in the video wasnt wrong.

Also its gentleman such as him, is one of the reasons why I made my statement in some of my prior posts about how alot of people in Ozark (most African Americans) feel about Mccraney's arrest, police corruption, etc. Unfortunately they only see things through a racially biased lens. Of course you have the opposite extreme with white people who instantly want to lynch him without even giving him a fair trial. Hopefully the jury will consist of some extremely open minded people that can for their appointed time, distance themselves from their biases and be able to look at the evidence that will be presented through a completely objective lens.

I dont forsee either lawyer attempting to make race an issue but I would guarantee at some point there will be some that will, most likely Harrison. Because again like I said before, in one of the first times he is on air speaking about his client he mentioned the car full of protestant Anglo saxon whites are even exclaiming his innocence. I looked at my wife and said the circus is making it's way.

I have no idea if what I'm about to say violates any terms of service with this site. I guess I'll just say it and let the moderators sort it out.

The gentleman in this video, am I correct in saying he is some sort of community activist? Is it safe to assume he is potentially trying to lay foundation down to race being an issue? If that's the case I would like to make a couple points.

I will be the first to admit that since the beginning of my unprofessional involvement in this case, I personally tunnel-visioned onto a few suspects. None of them were African American or anything other than what would be considered Caucasian. In fact the only reference I can recall to any African-American being brought up in past years had to do with the escapee who killed his supervisor in Montgomery and parked the car in the same location on Herring.

Furthermore, let us not forget how this suspect came to be identified. All indications seem to point that this was not a witch-hunt where LE was working backwards trying to pin something on him. DNA - enough said. Let us not forget, prior to this, the only arrest was of an individual who was Caucasian. He was only released after DNA appeared to exonerate him.

And finally, where does this individual have any credibility? Unless I've missed an update, this individual appears to have enough legal troubles of their own... which you could easily locate with a simple search.

Thanks for posting the info on the video. My frustration was not directed towards the poster lol.

I've tried to just remain silent on this lately, to let justice take its course... but this frustrated me. If my assumptions are wrong on what this community leader is attempting to do, then I apologize.

lol..the only thing I got of substance from the video was the court date...that is the only reason I posted it because I knew someone would ask "where did you see that"...you know for conformation purposes!!

I wanted to mention one other thing agger listening to the 3 men podcast again. They and others (including LE) assume they were murdered elsewhere then brought to herring because of where the police and sheriff's offices are at. I touched on OPD office and how there isnt a large number of officers out and about.

At night time, there may be 4 or so DCS patrolling. This includes covering all of dale county. So depending on what's going on in the surrounding cities that are within Dale county there may be one sheriff in Ozark. I remember one officer was telling me how one night he was in one part of dale county and had to respond to a call to assist on the other side of dale county and took him close to 40 min to arrive. So it's very reasonable it could have been done herring given between both agencies on patrol officers are and were spread thin. So despite both building being in close proximity to herring, it doesn't really factor in the murders taken place elsewhere and then driving back to herring. Locals would definitely know this. Also something to think about. If there is a situation playing out where 2-3 OPD are on a scene (I've seen this amount during traffic stops at these hours or they had to respond to a house party, MVA) during this timeframe then the killer would have even more time. It would be chance unless he (them) had a radio to listen in. Nonetheless, they are spread thin.

Hello! I am new to this so bare with me. I am from Andaluisa Alabama. I live in the same county as Kem Ramer, the 17 year old from Opp Alabama who went missing August 1997. Kemberly was one year behind me in school. It hit home when Jb and tracie were killed just two short years later. Same month, same age, same state only 45 miles in distance. Both cases happened around the midnight era. All three girls were to start their senior year of high school. All three girls were popular active in extracurricular activities, dark brown haired beautiful young women. Although today I am skeptical of their relations, I always wondered if they were connected. There are rumors that kems body was moved several times. She still has not been found. The killers could have realized how hard it was to continue to move the victim that with J.B. and tracie leaving them to be found was easier.
I have always followed this case but more so I’m the past two years than before. I never read the wiregrass forums. I have been reading Websleuths for atleast a year now. Since the arrest I have gone back and read every thread. I have some questions.
The DNA OFCOURSE! I have seen interviews with the old Sheriff stating it was connected to there was no rape to there was no semen in the vaginal area of J.B.... yet all of a sudden there is? Was the bodies dug up? What am I missing? How did this come about?

Hello! I am new to this so bare with me. I am from Andaluisa Alabama. I live in the same county as Kem Ramer, the 17 year old from Opp Alabama who went missing August 1997. Kemberly was one year behind me in school. It hit home when Jb and tracie were killed just two short years later. Same month, same age, same state only 45 miles in distance. Both cases happened around the midnight era. All three girls were to start their senior year of high school. All three girls were popular active in extracurricular activities, dark brown haired beautiful young women. Although today I am skeptical of their relations, I always wondered if they were connected. There are rumors that kems body was moved several times. She still has not been found. The killers could have realized how hard it was to continue to move the victim that with J.B. and tracie leaving them to be found was easier.
I have always followed this case but more so I’m the past two years than before. I never read the wiregrass forums. I have been reading Websleuths for atleast a year now. Since the arrest I have gone back and read every thread. I have some questions.
The DNA OFCOURSE! I have seen interviews with the old Sheriff stating it was connected to there was no rape to there was no semen in the vaginal area of J.B.... yet all of a sudden there is? Was the bodies dug up? What am I missing? How did this come about?

e0726160_welcome666.gif

LALady .... LA= Lower Alabama ??

OPD and all the other LE agencies didn't release all the information or evidence in the case to the public. Its normal procedure, especially in cases like this

Sadly, there can be no question that race will be made an issue in the case. It has become standard in any black on white crime where it can possibly be put forward. Even in the Wayne Williams case where the perp, the victims, the mayor, police chief, public safety director, and judge were black there is still a huge chorus of people proclaiming Williams the victim of a "racist" conspiracy. The best example I can think of, (which was probably the biggest long unsolved multiple murder in the area before this case) was the Columbus "stocking Strangler", Carlton Gary, who raped, assaulted and killed several elderly women in Columbus Ga. in the late 70s when I was in High school. In spite of overwhelming evidence of his guilt in these crimes , as well as a couple more killings in NY, Effort after effort was made to allege he was the victim of a frame, which delayed his execution for over 30 years.
Like you, my original assumption was that the killer was white, mainly because I believed that it would be easier for a white suspect to put the victims at ease so that he could abduct them. One thing that seems clear is that the much maligned Ozark Police were not trying to inject race into the case. Apparently from early on they knew the DNA , indicated African origin but never publicized it. This showed a sensitivity to public feeling and a regard for the possibility, however remote that the DNA might have been extraneous to the perpetrator. Even were this atty an ethical all-star which he does not appear to be, it would probably be inevitable that he see trying to play the race card to hopefully contaminate at least part (or even one of the jurors) is his only hope. I really have doubts that this case will result in a satisfactory conclusion.

lol..the only thing I got of substance from the video was the court date...that is the only reason I posted it because I knew someone would ask "where did you see that"...you know for conformation purposes!!
One gets the impression that his "community activity" seems to mostly consist of committing crimes in the community

LA lady. The initial forensic report stated semen found on bra, skin, underwear of Beasley. Then months later they reported they found semen from vaginal swabs (done after receiving the bodies) so they had DNA and was collecting from suspects to compare against.

Whatever the "excess evidence" was, it was sent back to OPD where they kept it in the fridge. Fast forward to this year, they collected DNA from McCraney and the VA lab states a match from the family tree. But now also reported that his matched the bra and underwear, along with a mixture of his and Beasley's from the vaginal swabs.

There will be many questions arising from there like how how preserved the DNA was, how the environmental factors play into the samples collected by the forensics (cause you're looking at possibly 12 hours or so elapsed between being killed to being discovered in the trunk), how well did they handle the bodies on scene, transport, how well was Mccraney's sample collected, handled, and sent off.

It was determined by forensics that there was no rape nor struggle so that opens up questions from potential consensual (up to semen is up to 7 days viable on clothes and within the vaginal cavity) or the killer had someone with them, inflicting enough fear that she would unwillingly participated in the act but without struggling or putting up a fight in hopes that would satisfy the request/needs of the killer.

LA lady. The initial forensic report stated semen found on bra, skin, underwear of Beasley. Then months later they reported they found semen from vaginal swabs (done after receiving the bodies) so they had DNA and was collecting from suspects to compare against.

Whatever the "excess evidence" was, it was sent back to OPD where they kept it in the fridge. Fast forward to this year, they collected DNA from McCraney and the VA lab states a match from the family tree. But now also reported that his matched the bra and underwear, along with a mixture of his and Beasley's from the vaginal swabs.

There will be many questions arising from there like how how preserved the DNA was, how the environmental factors play into the samples collected by the forensics (cause you're looking at possibly 12 hours or so elapsed between being killed to being discovered in the trunk), how well did they handle the bodies on scene, transport, how well was Mccraney's sample collected, handled, and sent off.

It was determined by forensics that there was no rape nor struggle so that opens up questions from potential consensual (up to semen is up to 7 days viable on clothes and within the vaginal cavity) or the killer had someone with them, inflicting enough fear that she would unwillingly participated in the act but without struggling or putting up a fight in hopes that would satisfy the request/needs of the killer.

The evidence (as far of as the semen and DNA) wasn't kept in ozark it stayed at the state lab where it was found to preserve the chain and evidence itself.

As far a the forensic file... I believe they left parts out, just like the semen in the vaginal swab, to preserve the case. We already know and it's been proven that the LE agencies have prevented the public access to a lot of the evidence found. Not only that but some rape victims don't always have trauma that show significant signs rape, some fight back others go with it to get it over with to try and survive it's one of those you have know idea what you are going to do until you are in that situation. For all we know (if the trauma evidence wasn't one of the things that was held out of public view) he could have locked Traci alive in the trunk in the beginning to leverage control over JB, the do what I want or I'll kill your friend and then you. JB could have realized that no matter what the rape was going to happen do the next thing you would try to to is just survive the night, together JB and Traci

I don't know with the evidence we have whether CM is guilty but with that said I think he knows things and have kept them to himself all these years. If, and that's a big if, he did not kill the girls at this point he is just as guilty as the murderer. But I do believe that OPD would not have made an arrest if the only evidence they had is what the public knows

I start from the base that Ralph Jackson is the Golden State Killer not that innocent man being used as a patsey in the case in my opinion but you make some good points.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dont4get