Mom unable to register daughter because she (mom) did not follow the dress code.

I wish to know how come the head scarf didn’t meet the dress code :mad:
The woman should have bothered herself to read Houston's dress code long ago if her daughter has been a student there. She looks like she just rolled out of bed.

Head scarves aren't allowed to be worn in the building. Neither are flip-flops and short dresses. It is all spelled out quite clearly.

https://www.houstonisd.org/cms/lib2/TX01001591/Centricity/Domain/22431/UNIFORM DRESS CODE.pdf

JMO

The woman should have bothered herself to read Houston's dress code long ago if her daughter has been a student there. She looks like she just rolled out of bed.

Head scarves aren't allowed to be worn in the building. Neither are flip-flops and short dresses. It is all spelled out quite clearly.

https://www.houstonisd.org/cms/lib2/TX01001591/Centricity/Domain/22431/UNIFORM DRESS CODE.pdf

JMO

That's the dress code for students. The woman is arguing that she doesn't understand why parents should follow a/the dress code, and says the school never showed her anything that says there is a dress code for parents and instead called the cops on her.

It pains me to say but I guess she does have a point with that. Watch schools going scrambling now to write those up. Curious how this one will end.

JMO

It says it’s a dress code formulated for students.

I see what you see, a sloppy dressed woman, but it’s her prerogative. She’s kinda free to dress that way if she wants or feel to, whether we like it or don’t.

JMO

Last edited:
She looks fine to me. Maybe she should have worn a hat like the Royals wear and tights under the dress.

Nothing wrong with the head scarf. Not liking the T-shirt, IMO it looks like you don't care. But that's my opinion. She probably won't like my wardrobe either. The thing is, if there's no official dress code for parents at the school, I'm curious to see how it will play out. The school may not have a leg to stand on.
I think we might not be getting the whole picture though. I hope that surely the school wouldn't call the cops just because they don't approve of someones clothing choice. It makes me wonder what else might have happened.

MOO/JMO

I don't think the school has the right to refuse the child's registration because someone did not like the mom's outfit. Granted, 20 years ago this was just pure racism. This year, it's still racism, but also a Today show segment (IMO, MOO). But the outcome will be the same: Mom goes back tomorrow in different clothes (because she understands her daughter needs to be enrolled in school). And some overly-opinionated ***hat got away with treating her poorly today. Ugh. People.

Odd that there is nothing about this on my local news (Houston), I follow three of the major networks and don’t see anything on this story. Makes me think there is more to the story.

I’m struggling on this one, as long as her bits are covered I don’t see a problem with it, kids will see people dressed the same in the supermarket etc...on the other hand having some kind of dress code for parents isn’t necessarily a bad thing either.

Odd that there is nothing about this on my local news (Houston), I follow three of the major networks and don’t see anything on this story. Makes me think there is more to the story.

I’m struggling on this one, as long as her bits are covered I don’t see a problem with it, kids will see people dressed the same in the supermarket etc...on the other hand having some kind of dress code for parents isn’t necessarily a bad thing either.

Lawmaker proposes a dress code for parents when they drop their kids off at school

Tennessee’s ‘parent dress code’ bill clears first legislative hurdle

The reason we don’t have such a code of conduct is because the enforcement is questionable,” said Chuck Cagle, an attorney who represents the state superintendents group.

Last edited:
I think Mom looks fine. But it doesn't matter what I, or she, or anyone else but the school thinks. The school made it clear to Mom that her attire did not meet the school's dress code policy and that she would not be allowed to enter until she was dressed according to their policy. Instead of simply being respectful of school policy and going home and changing her clothes, she refused to leave, resulting in the police being called. Wow, what a great way to start your daughter off in a new school, after she has already been a target of bullying at her old school! Certainly this won't make her a target now at the new school! :rolleyes: And now Mom is making the media round$. :rolleyes:

Wow, what a great way to start your daughter off in a new school, after she has already been a target of bullying at her old school! Certainly this won't make her a target now at the new school! :rolleyes: And now Mom is making the media round$. :rolleyes:

I agree with this.
I do think the school was out of line though, based on what we know. However, maybe they have experienced incidents where parents have came to the school dressed entirely inappropriately.

Why do people think it's okay to tell everyone how they should live..or eat...or dress?

If she had clothes on, that should have sufficed. Mom's not going to be attending the school so any dress code they have for students or staff should not apply and I defend wholeheartedly the woman's right to ignore the code and the child's right to register without Mom's compliance.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa
Back