Found Deceased Australia - Karen Ristevski, 47, Melbourne, Vic, 29 June 2016 - #17 *Arrest*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Karen's friend describes how she came 50 metres away from where Karen was.

The Today Show on Twitter

"He controlled how Karen died, he controlled where she went, that her body was not looked after, and now he is controlling that he is able to have a lighter sentence .... which I find incredibly, incredibly unfair"

Maximum of 20 years.
I guess subtracting his stint in gaol already.

I hope the judge grows a couple.

Was reading a few Vic manslaughter sentencing examples the other day .... I am afraid that he is going to get much less than 20 years.

Also found a Vic sentencing guideline - one of the parameters says that the sentence must be akin to other sentences for crimes of a similar nature.

Last edited:
I am reigning in my expectations about this sentence coming up. There is provision for Justice Beale to tangle Borce up for a very long time, even on a 'manslaughter' conviction, but things can go pear shaped.

The thing about Victorian Law courts, and particularly, the Victorian Supreme Court, is , it is generally fearless in it's application of the law, just a tiny bit more that other State Supreme Courts, with the exception of NSW, which has more mandatory sentencing conditions.

It is still my fervent hope that public expectation, that esoteric factor, you can't measure it, you can't pin it down, but it's solid and immovable, nonetheless, will play a large part in the sentencing component in this particular death of a woman, in the prime of her life, in her own home, with a lifetime to look forward to, loved and appreciated by her many friends and family, and a law abiding taxpaying contributing member of the community.

Surely this has to count for something, in the totting up and dishing out of punishment and deterrence? Because if the deterrence factor is glossed over, men right across Victoria will be eyeing off the inconvenient wife with harder eyes, and the endless burial places one can hide the body of that inconvenient wife will be crowded with jerks like Borce, checking out the suitability , there will be traffic jams up and down Mount Macedon. Not nice for the locals.

I am reigning in my expectations about this sentence coming up. There is provision for Justice Beale to tangle Borce up for a very long time, even on a 'manslaughter' conviction, but things can go pear shaped.

The thing about Victorian Law courts, and particularly, the Victorian Supreme Court, is , it is generally fearless in it's application of the law, just a tiny bit more that other State Supreme Courts, with the exception of NSW, which has more mandatory sentencing conditions.

It is still my fervent hope that public expectation, that esoteric factor, you can't measure it, you can't pin it down, but it's solid and immovable, nonetheless, will play a large part in the sentencing component in this particular death of a woman, in the prime of her life, in her own home, with a lifetime to look forward to, loved and appreciated by her many friends and family, and a law abiding taxpaying contributing member of the community.

Surely this has to count for something, in the totting up and dishing out of punishment and deterrence? Because if the deterrence factor is glossed over, men right across Victoria will be eyeing off the inconvenient wife with harder eyes, and the endless burial places one can hide the body of that inconvenient wife will be crowded with jerks like Borce, checking out the suitability , there will be traffic jams up and down Mount Macedon. Not nice for the locals.

Troops you crack me up :eek:

'...there will be traffic jams up and down Mount Macedon'

the-longest-traffic-jam-in-history-12-days-62-mile-long-47237-7.jpg

The question was about SR but she referred straight to Karen's brother's welfare.
The body language and the comment was where is the voice for Karen and it wasn't said Karen was a good mother.

Yes IMO, the comments made or lack thereof about SR, and switching to her brother says a lot...

The fact that the sentence is being live broadcast is a measure of how much public interest in this case is.. most Supreme Court Cases are recorded in audio, and presented on Supreme Court websites within hours, lots are recorded in Television also, and put on the website, but not every case is broadcast live, so that tells us that the Supreme Court of Vic is well aware and has responded to the public expectation in this matter, so far.

The fact that the sentence is being live broadcast is a measure of how much public interest in this case is.. most Supreme Court Cases are recorded in audio, and presented on Supreme Court websites within hours, lots are recorded in Television also, and put on the website, but not every case is broadcast live, so that tells us that the Supreme Court of Vic is well aware and has responded to the public expectation in this matter, so far.

Yes, it could be a good sign.
I expect the judge will have prepared the sentencing remarks very carefully, covered everything so as to avoid an appeal ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member