MN - Justine Damond, 40, fatally shot by Minneapolis LE, 15 July 2017 #3

I just don't think the fear of ambush defense is all that credible. If they were so afraid, why were they continuing down the ally instead of backing off and calling for backup? And, even is you are startled or afraid, you still are not justified to just shoot an innocent person. You HAVE to identify the target first and Noor didn't do that. Most police shootings we see here are instances where the officers clearly see the "suspect" and think that person is reaching for a gun or something along those lines. Thats not the case here. An innocent person walks up to the car and is just shot down before the officer even sees who it is.
Absolutely.

I am probably thinking along the lines of PTSD as defence. Some mental problem rather than a total failure as an officer and a human. Guess that won't do the trick now, after staying silent for this long.

I just don't think the fear of ambush defense is all that credible. If they were so afraid, why were they continuing down the ally instead of backing off and calling for backup? And, even is you are startled or afraid, you still are not justified to just shoot an innocent person. You HAVE to identify the target first and Noor didn't do that. Most police shootings we see here are instances where the officers clearly see the "suspect" and think that person is reaching for a gun or something along those lines. Thats not the case here. An innocent person walks up to the car and is just shot down before the officer even sees who it is.

Thank you for this post.

Charges at Minnesota cop's trial offer jury range of options

When a Minneapolis police officer shot and killed an unarmed woman who approached his squad car after calling 911, it was catastrophic. But was it murder?

Prosecutors have given jurors hearing the case against Mohamed Noor multiple options: second-degree murder, third-degree murder and second-degree manslaughter. The jury will ultimately decide whether any of the counts fit what happened the night of July 15, 2017, when Noor fatally shot Justine Ruszczyk Damond just minutes after the dual citizen of the U.S. and Australia who had phoned in a report of a possible sexual assault behind her home

Mr Harrity recalled life with his former partner.

"I loved working with Officer Noor," he told the court, noting that the two trusted each other completely.
The two men have not spoken since.

In a major inconsistency for the defence, he could not say how the phrase "she slapped the car" ended up in a search warrant used for entering Ms Damond Ruszczyk's home

The decisive question from Ms Sweasy was whether "a use of deadly force at that point would've been premature".

"Yes, with what I had," Mr Harrity answered.

If Mr Noor does not testify, the jury will have no direct insight as to why the officer saw a threat that warranted risking a human life.

Cop's partner tells trial he wouldn't have shot Justine Damond Ruszczyk

Mr Harrity recalled life with his former partner.

"I loved working with Officer Noor," he told the court, noting that the two trusted each other completely.
The two men have not spoken since.

In a major inconsistency for the defence, he could not say how the phrase "she slapped the car" ended up in a search warrant used for entering Ms Damond Ruszczyk's home

The decisive question from Ms Sweasy was whether "a use of deadly force at that point would've been premature".

"Yes, with what I had," Mr Harrity answered.

If Mr Noor does not testify, the jury will have no direct insight as to why the officer saw a threat that warranted risking a human life.

Cop's partner tells trial he wouldn't have shot Justine Damond Ruszczyk
This is fundamental problem the defense faces in this case. Its almost impossible for them to make Noor's defense without calling him to the stand. I'm interested to see if they do.

9news.com.au: Why Justine Ruszczyk's shooter might not be convicted of murder. https://www.9news.com.au/world/us-news-justine-ruszczyk-trial-mohamed-noor-matthew-harrity/f64249f0-b326-4846-98d5-9f7fe94e13ad

The presumptive sentences vary from four years for the manslaughter charge to twelve-and-a-half years for third-degree murder to 25-and-a-half years for second-degree murder.

:eek::confused:

4 years???? No way:mad:

All I have to do is ask myself how the law would have treated me if I’d killed someone for as flimsy reason as they’ve offered.

All I have to do is ask myself how the law would have treated me if I’d killed someone for as flimsy reason as they’ve offered.

At least Minneapolis won't have to worry about riots if Noor is found "Not Guilty".

I follow an author, John Sandford, whose main character, Lucas Davenport, used to work for Minneapolis PD, and Minnesota BCA, I would LOVE it if he had Lucas investigating Noor in a book plot!

This case really gets to me- every time I see a picture of this lovely woman with her lovely smile, I feel ill. I think women could identify with her : she hears a noise, she does the right thing and calls the police; she is waiting for the police, perhaps a bit impatiently and she runs out in the alley when she hears the police vehicle- she is in her pajamas and slippers- she walks towards the police vehicle-- then within seconds she is fatally shot: It is a horror story--the offending officer who fired the shot is told to shut up so he shuts up--Based on what I have been reading, the police department seems more intent on covering up the facts then telling the truth about how this poor woman was blown away ---the final blow would be that this officer gets only a few years or perhaps is acquitted. I don't see how her loved ones ever recover from such a horror to be honest.

This case really gets to me- every time I see a picture of this lovely woman with her lovely smile, I feel ill. I think women could identify with her : she hears a noise, she does the right thing and calls the police; she is waiting for the police, perhaps a bit impatiently and she runs out in the alley when she hears the police vehicle- she is in her pajamas and slippers- she walks towards the police vehicle-- then within seconds she is fatally shot: It is a horror story--the offending officer who fired the shot is told to shut up so he shuts up--Based on what I have been reading, the police department seems more intent on covering up the facts then telling the truth about how this poor woman was blown away ---the final blow would be that this officer gets only a few years or perhaps is acquitted. I don't see how her loved ones ever recover from such a horror to be honest.
I'm still wondering how Sgt. Shannon Barnette, the supervisor on the scene, still has her job. She turned her body cam on and off and on and off, she told Noor she was worried about him and not the condition of the victim, and she has refused to cooperate with a state investigation into the shooting. And the taxpayers are paying her?? For what??

I'm still wondering how Sgt. Shannon Barnette, the supervisor on the scene, still has her job. She turned her body cam on and off and on and off, she told Noor she was worried about him and not the condition of the victim, and she has refused to cooperate with a state investigation into the shooting. And the taxpayers are paying her?? For what??

Apparently her oddly cold approach to this horrific shooting death is okay with her superiors---someting stinks in this police department

Apparently her oddly cold approach to this horrific shooting death is okay with her superiors---someting stinks in this police department
So the police can refuse to cooperate in an investigation into the death of someone. Can anyone else do that? If they find a dead body in my house, can I say "Take the body and get out. I don't want to discuss this", show them the door, and refuse to talk to them again?

So the police can refuse to cooperate in an investigation into the death of someone. Can anyone else do that? If they find a dead body in my house, can I say "Take the body and get out. I don't want to discuss this", show them the door, and refuse to talk to them again?

Good analogy. Apparently that is EXACTLY what happens when a police officer shoots someone.

That is why I believe that the federal government, ie, FBI, should issue a standard protocol for absolutely every single police officer involved shooting. An entire checklist to follow, so that everything is complete.

I would like every single officer, even on duty, if they shot a person, they are mandatory required to have a blood test done for drugs and alcohol, within 45 minutes of the event. That serves two purposes, one it gets them away from the scene, which they should not be involved in anyway, and it gets a baseline to see if there were any substances involved.

Then, once officers respond to an officer involved shooting, the body cameras are on, and evidence is collected, same as working a crime scene. No presumption of what occurred.

The officer would have to write and sign a statement, along with any witnesses within 3 hours of the event. And the home of the officer is subject to a search, along with their person, car, backpack, whatever. Definitely if anyone else shot someone those protocols would be followed.

Police officers are contractually required to cooperate with internal investigations. When Noor refused to do that, he was fired. Sgt. Barnette is also refusing to cooperate, but she obviously has friends to help her keep her job. This isn't just DA office vs MPD. Its more complicated than that. There is a lot of politics going on here as well as good old fashioned police protecting police. There are lots of different sides here I think all in conflict. I do think that the prosecutor is doing his best, but he is having to battle a lot of things.

Noor trial: Prosecutors drill down on origins of squad 'thump' story

Attorneys are also exploring why the state agency returned the squad car to Minneapolis police so quickly when they knew the shot was fired from inside it.

Sgt. Shannon Barnette then ordered the car to be washed and returned to service, although it was later sent back to the BCA for additional testing.

Shannon Barnette---->ugh

Attorneys are also exploring why the state agency returned the squad car to Minneapolis police so quickly when they knew the shot was fired from inside it.

Sgt. Shannon Barnette then ordered the car to be washed and returned to service, although it was later sent back to the BCA for additional testing.

Shannon Barnette---->ugh
If Justine slapped the side of the car somehow, there would have to be hand/finger prints on it. The fact that there were none conflicted with the story of the thump/slap on the car. It sounds like the prosecution is doing a pretty good job of exposing this. The MPD did what they could to protect Noor, but they have really (and still are) destroying their credibility and making themselves look pretty crooked in order to do it.

Experts are expected to compare the level of threat the officers faced the night of the shooting with MPD policies and national standards.

"I believe that is going to zero in on what is the most important issue the jury is going to have to consider," said KSTP legal expert Steve Schleicher. "(It's) really the only contested issue and that is, would a reasonable police officer in the place of officer Noor have taken the same actions that he did that evening?"

BCA special-agent-in-charge testifies at Noor trial

Shannon Barnette---->ugh

I’m not sure why Sgt. Barnette still holds her position. :eek:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa