Found Deceased Australia - Karen Ristevski, 47, Melbourne, Vic, 29 June 2016 - #17 *Arrest*

Status
Not open for further replies.
No parole for killers who won’t talk: Ristevski aunt

The aunt of Karen Ristevski is backing calls to strip the right of parole from killers who refuse to reveal how their victims died.

Patricia Gray said she felt betrayed by Victoria’s justice system as she lashed the six-year minimum sentence handed to Borce Ristevski, who pleaded guilty to the manslaughter of his wife, as an insult.

“There has to be an appeal. The sentence is an insult,” she said from Singapore.
“I read a man got 11 years in Adelaide for trying to strangle a man with a shoelace. Where’s the balance?”

“How dare they continue to be allowed that kind of freedom when families are condemned to always wonder how and why,” she said

NoCookies | The Australian

With time served already, Ristevski could be out of jail as soon as 2023. Victoria’s Office of Public Prosecutions is examining whether to appeal against the sentence, which many regard as too lenient. The controversy also prompted Mr O’Brien to call for mandatory sentencing for family violence crimes. The Andrews government has been uncharacteristically quiet on the issue.

Domestic Violence Victoria policy unit manager Alison Macdonald made an important point last week, saying family violence convictions and sentencing sent strong messages to the community about how the legal system treated family violence. Citizens expected sentences to be commensurate with the devastation such violence wreaked on victims.

No parole for killers who won’t talk: Ristevski aunt

The aunt of Karen Ristevski is backing calls to strip the right of parole from killers who refuse to reveal how their victims died.

Patricia Gray said she felt betrayed by Victoria’s justice system as she lashed the six-year minimum sentence handed to Borce Ristevski, who pleaded guilty to the manslaughter of his wife, as an insult.

“There has to be an appeal. The sentence is an insult,” she said from Singapore.
“I read a man got 11 years in Adelaide for trying to strangle a man with a shoelace. Where’s the balance?”

“How dare they continue to be allowed that kind of freedom when families are condemned to always wonder how and why,” she said

Excruciating. A fictional character of Nabokov's remembers a friend who was killed by Nazis: "And since the exact form of her death had not been recorded, Mira kept dying a great number of deaths in one's mind, and undergoing a great number of resurrections, only to die again and again. . . ."

Is anyone interested in what SR boyfriend has to say.

Notably he was present at a family dinner at Borce's parent's house the same day Karen went missing.

Borce apparently drove him home that night.
Their conversation on the drive home must pique some curiosity.

The boyfriend must have been one trusted in the inner circle -he apparently was the one Borce requested new sim cards to avoid police detection of tapped calls.

These things always interest me.

Seems SR bestie supposed travel mate was a FB friend of the boyfriend.

The bestie was a FB friend of Karen's.

Yet Boyfriend was not a FB friend of Karen's.
Strange given he was right behind Borce carrying Karen's coffin.

Just thoughts....

According to the transcript, the other referees were a friend of SR's; BR's niece who is also his god-daughter; the niece's husband; and another god-daughter.

Several days ago, I came across an article that included the full written character references from each of the above people.

I can't find that link any more. Does anyone have it?
I didn't think it would be this hard to find again!

Last edited:

Notably he was present at a family dinner at Borce's parent's house the same day Karen went missing.

The boyfriend must have been one trusted in the inner circle -he apparently was the one Borce requested new sim cards to avoid police detection of tapped calls.

Just thoughts....

Didn't the boyfriend of Sarah use this forum a couple of times? As I recall, it was along the lines of what a nice bloke Borce was, and what a mystery it is, and so on...

Did I imagine this? . I cant recall what name he posted under.

Didn't the boyfriend of Sarah use this forum a couple of times? As I recall, it was along the lines of what a nice bloke Borce was, and what a mystery it is, and so on...

I thought it was the friend KT who posted, not SR's boyfriend. I can't remember the name he used here either.

Last edited:

Yes, as JLZ says, I think it was Sarah's best friend (who also wrote Borce a character reference for the court, as can be seen in the link JLZ posted above) ... wanted to know how certain things were being seen on SM.

Well, I can see there's no love for Sarah here.

It does highlight why domestic violence is so prevalent in Australia, women are the hated species, mothers, daughters, mistresses, the lady neighbour, men are not responsible for murder, every single time there's a murder case there's the crowd convinced there's a woman behind it, sometimes there is. Karen copped the same crap when she was missing and now, her daughter. AR did seem the likely candidate, he fit the categories I previously posted about patricide but he was eliminated, oh wait, so was SR. Not according to some of the public, police were too incompetent, this is a 'strange' family and SR is a gold mine for ridicule, she's not trying to win the crowd over, damn, doesn't have her father's charisma, what a shame, Borce has won again!

I'm really disappointed by the cries of #domestic violence and justice for Karen when supposedly, poor Borce is doing time for someone else's crime, it's NOT a domestic crime if he's innocent! Shouldn't there be a petition to lessen his sentence and reopen the investigation into Karen's murder to catch the real murderer? Obviously, the police did a sloppy job and didn't check cctv or corroborate witnesses for all parties involved, and a whole new crack team need to be on the case. [/sarcasm]

I understand the strong feelings about Sarah's reference for her father, it's an appalling lack of respect for her mother's memory, I believe she will regret it one day. The judge did call her a victim and that Borce lied and lied to her. At one stage, he may have confessed he accidentally killed Karen and threatened suicide if she didn't stand by him. Sarah is living in complete denial, she's romanticising about her parent's relationship when she was a child, she's not acknowledging those few years preceding the murder, Karen clearly wasn't happy and wanted out.

I'm waiting for John Edward's trial for the murder of his wife, Sharon. It won't be a hot topic, the characters aren't interesting enough. If one of their sons stands by his father and denies he's capable of murder, that he was generous man, bought his wife a house after they separated and was a loving father, will he cop the same hatred as Sarah? I don't think so, he'll receive compassion and understanding because...... he's a man. (The son did post those comments but the trial is yet to come and his position is unknown.)

I don't mean to offend but I can't remain silent, it's not about being right or wrong, this is about domestic violence and partners and their children who become accustomed to a certain kind of 'normal', and the family image is protected at all costs. Many women tolerate unacceptable behaviour and make comments like, 'at least he doesn't hit me'. How sad is that?

It does highlight why domestic violence is so prevalent in Australia, women are the hated species, mothers, daughters, mistresses, the lady neighbour, men are not responsible for murder, every single time there's a murder case there's the crowd convinced there's a woman behind it, sometimes there is. Karen copped the same crap when she was missing and now, her daughter. AR did seem the likely candidate, he fit the categories I previously posted about patricide but he was eliminated, oh wait, so was SR. Not according to some of the public, police were too incompetent, this is a 'strange' family and SR is a gold mine for ridicule, she's not trying to win the crowd over, damn, doesn't have her father's charisma, what a shame, Borce has won again!

I'm really disappointed by the cries of #domestic violence and justice for Karen when supposedly, poor Borce is doing time for someone else's crime, it's NOT a domestic crime if he's innocent! Shouldn't there be a petition to lessen his sentence and reopen the investigation into Karen's murder to catch the real murderer? Obviously, the police did a sloppy job and didn't check cctv or corroborate witnesses for all parties involved, and a whole new crack team need to be on the case. [/sarcasm]

I understand the strong feelings about Sarah's reference for her father, it's an appalling lack of respect for her mother's memory, I believe she will regret it one day. The judge did call her a victim and that Borce lied and lied to her. At one stage, he may have confessed he accidentally killed Karen and threatened suicide if she didn't stand by him. Sarah is living in complete denial, she's romanticising about her parent's relationship when she was a child, she's not acknowledging those few years preceding the murder, Karen clearly wasn't happy and wanted out.

I'm waiting for John Edward's trial for the murder of his wife, Sharon. It won't be a hot topic, the characters aren't interesting enough. If one of their sons stands by his father and denies he's capable of murder, that he was generous man, bought his wife a house after they separated and was a loving father, will he cop the same hatred as Sarah? I don't think so, he'll receive compassion and understanding because...... he's a man. (The son did post those comments but the trial is yet to come and his position is unknown.)

I don't mean to offend but I can't remain silent, it's not about being right or wrong, this is about domestic violence and partners and their children who become accustomed to a certain kind of 'normal', and the family image is protected at all costs. Many women tolerate unacceptable behaviour and make comments like, 'at least he doesn't hit me'. How sad is that?

This is nonsense, the behaviour of Sarah immediately after Karen's disappearance, is what people are commenting on. The lack of co-operation with the police and general lack of using any means, including media, to help locate Karen. It is evident that Sarah knew very early on what happened to Karen. How do you or the judge know that Boris had lied and lied to Sarah? The evidence of the " staged" mobile phone intercept clearly shows a degree of coming to terms with what happened and when.

Just thoughts....

Trusted to get new SIM cards to avoid police detection of traced calls makes him an accessory after the fact IMO, it also says a lot about the boyfriends lack of judgement and or poor character. If someone who’s wife was missing asked me to get new SIM cards alarm bells would be ringing loud and clear, wouldn’t you question why they needed new SIM cards?

Trusted to get new SIM cards to avoid police detection of traced calls makes him an accessory after the fact IMO, it also says a lot about the boyfriends lack of judgement and or poor character. If someone who’s wife was missing asked me to get new SIM cards alarm bells would be ringing loud and clear, wouldn’t you question why they needed new SIM cards?

Yes, I think that we can probably safely say that this lad is very close to Sarah and Borce. He even goes to the prison to visit Borce.

BBM
"I am aware of the charges imposed upon Borce and we have spoken about the offences in detail during our visits at the MRC. (Metropolitan Remand Centre)
I've known the family for about 9 years now ..."

Daughter gives 'glowing reference' for father who killed her mum

Last edited:
Yes, I think that we can probably safely say that this lad is very close to Sarah and Borce. He even goes to the prison to visit Borce.

BBM
"I am aware of the charges imposed upon Borce and we have spoken about the offences in detail during our visits at the MRC. (Metropolitan Remand Centre)
I've known the family for about 9 years now ..."

Daughter gives 'glowing reference' for father who killed her mum
This is the best friend KT, he didn't get a new sim card right? Only the boyfriend did?
I would want to ask him, what do you want me to hide? Unless of course, I already knew what!
Ah ... thank you. Much appreciated.

I wanted to read them again. They are as bland and non-descript as I recall them to be.

Borce was just an all-around nice guy who was always nice to the writer of the reference.

Then, oops, he killed his wife and couldn't fess up to it. Until he did.
I just read them. Gee. The referees all knew Karen, some are like very well. How can one write a character reference for one of the "lovely couple", who has admitted killing the other one?

I can't do that if I genuinely liked them both. I can't take sides when it is something that serious. I don't know if there was so much hypocrisy in their relationships, or what:rolleyes:

This is nonsense, the behaviour of Sarah immediately after Karen's disappearance, is what people are commenting on. The lack of co-operation with the police and general lack of using any means, including media, to help locate Karen. It is evident that Sarah knew very early on what happened to Karen. How do you or the judge know that Boris had lied and lied to Sarah? The evidence of the " staged" mobile phone intercept clearly shows a degree of coming to terms with what happened and when.
Ahem, where do I start? My post was made in regards to those posting that BR isn't responsible for Karen's murder, those posts have been removed but there's still a few hanging about insinuating SR killed Karen, that BR is covering for her! Nothing is 'evident' except in your mind, guesses are the best we can do, the police aren't stupid and it's irritating reading these posters who KNOW better than the investigating police, as if they took everyone at their word.

Lets throw all that hard work out the window because Sarah isn't likeable, as if they know what went on behind closed doors. The police come across many victims who stand by the offender, in fact, it's common place, just this particular family didn't fit the socioeconomic group whereby no one gives a crap!

Yes, I am disappointed like everyone else that Sarah didn't denounce her father, and others wrote character references for BR too, what a 'funny character' he is, I'm sure he had Karen in stitches! A seemingly nice bloke can still kill in a rage but BR couldn't own up, and what he did afterwards is cowardly and despicable!

BR receiving a pitiful sentence will hopefully bring about a change to sentencing laws due to public outcry.

I listened again earlier to the live audio sentencing of BR and one thing irks me.

It seems seems strange to me that the Court accepts glowing references from people closely tied to a self confessed murderer on the day of sentencing. What person connected to BR isn't going to give him a glowing reference. It's like someone close to you doing a reference for you when applying for a job and that's how the references given on BR came across. Just about everyone pads up their CV and their references give a glowing account of the person. Anyone ever seen a bad reference in someone's CV?

I saw photos and messages doctored to paint a glowing family situation so I don't put much weight on personal glowing references in this senario.

I can see the worth of victim impact statememts read to the court in a murder sentencing but to read out glowing personal references I think they shouldn't be. If you were sacked for stealing from your workplace no boss would give you a glowing reference. Even if you were a great worker,concientiois and respectful to workmates once you were caught stealing all those favourable comments become null and void. Committ murder and same situation any prior good the accussed did becomes worthless as it can never substitute for an act of murder.

Use personal references in the proceedings by your defence during a trial to paint the accused in a good light but after he has plead guilty?

To have a murder conviction downgraded to manslaughter due to lack of forensic evidence and then to attempt to get a reduced sentence on the back of glowing testimonials doesn't seem right to me.

Victim impact statements on a murder relate to an outcome of facts, glowing references can't be substantiated when the person who it would have affected mostly is not alive to confirm
or deny just how much really related to a person's glowing testimony that was given concerning the murderer.
Once a persons lies and deceit in a murder they later confessed to on the basis of not receiving the full sentencing of the crime they committed no further determination by the way of glowing references should be entertained (my view only).
In court prior to conviction prosecution can at least dispute some glowing personal references that the defense will use. I would dispute some of the claims made in BR's glowing references read out prior to sentencing. Maybe the Judge didn't factor the glowing references into account when setting the length of sentence but whether KR or any other murder victim I think personally it's a sad situation when a person who has their life taken has the person who did it is portrayed as they have lived their life in a glowing personal manner.
No remore was shown by BR and for me those who made glowing references relating to him don't see that as a negative personal trait for him to display.

I wonder just how many points KR would agree with in regard to all the glowing references that were made.

Just re read maybe the court didn't accept the glowing reviews of BR on the day. I think the Judge had determined the sentence prior to the day of sentencing but by reading out those glowing comments of BR on the day where family and friends were finally glad there would be justice those glowing comments and remarks must have hurt deep as.the last thing you want to hear on the day of sentencing is what a great father, husband abd all round guy a person is who stands awaiting to hear his sentence for the murder of his wife.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
not_just_a_phase