CO - Sol Pais, Threats to Columbine High and 20 other schools

I'm wondering if that was her plan all along - to make a "fantasy" pilgrimage to the site where she would "join" her heroes near where they died?

IDK. Trying to make sense of the non-sensible.

jmo

IMO you are right, and her only intention was to end her life. No one else’s.

I was wondering how the FBI knew about her, after I read her blog, saw the background pic on her listography and looked at her tumblr (tumblr has been pulled, but if any of you got to look at it, it scared me) I thought maybe she had been on some kind of watch list. But I just read this article stating they became aware of these items only after her parents reported her missing.

Sol Pais: 5 Fast Facts You Need to Know | Heavy.com

I wasn’t able to find anything where she made a direct threat. But of course LE had to take precaution. And I suppose it could have been verbal. I don’t know...but I had absolutely NO idea these “fandoms” existed & there were tumblr pages, etc., dedicated to these murders. I came across more on tumblr. I’m wondering if the FBI is going to take a look at any of those? After looking at the tumblr, I would’ve locked the entire state and surrounding ones down tbh.

IMO you are right, and her only intention was to end her life. No one else’s.

I was wondering how the FBI knew about her, after I read her blog, saw the background pic on her listography and looked at her tumblr (tumblr has been pulled, but if any of you got to look at it, it scared me) I thought maybe she had been on some kind of watch list. But I just read this article stating they became aware of these items only after her parents reported her missing.

Sol Pais: 5 Fast Facts You Need to Know | Heavy.com

I wasn’t able to find anything where she made a direct threat. But of course LE had to take precaution. And I suppose it could have been verbal. I don’t know...but I had absolutely NO idea these “fandoms” existed & there were tumblr pages, etc., dedicated to these murders. I came across more on tumblr. I’m wondering if the FBI is going to take a look at any of those? After looking at the tumblr, I would’ve locked the entire state and surrounding ones down tbh.

My guess a friend or family member reported her websites to the FBI.

And her family knew nothing about her IG and other websites until this happened?
Such troubled and sad writings :(

Heart wrenching. I do think this young woman has left behind writings which give us some understanding of the turmoil one can be in before they take their life, or even that of others. She speaks as someone who is losing her sense of herself, which is so tragic. I think it must be terribly hard for someone feeling like this to be wanting/able to access an intervention that will help “bring them back” to themselves, it’s almost like there was an inevitability in her thoughts. I wish we had amazing early interventions in schools for emerging serious mental health issues, it’s too difficult for people to go out searching for it.

She has a past. Everyone does. Hers are just locked down because of her age. I would love to take a peek, though.

And I agree she looks much older than 18.

Parents must be so worried in Colorado.

I am slow to reply, but I do agree she looks much older than 18.

As for the survivors, their parents, the victim's families, and yes, even for the perperator's families, I can't imagine the pain and suffering they endure every April 20th.

BTW, nice to "see you" SuziQ!

I long believed LE found her deceased, and she was never running naked in the woods as reported. Today's report confirms she was likely dead on Monday night -- more than 24 hours before being located by LE.

Florida teenager, 18, 'obsessed with Columbine massacre' likely killed herself before manhunt | Daily Mail Online

• Clear Creek County Undersheriff Bruce Snelling said that Sol Pais, 18, likely killed herself on Monday evening
  • Her body was found in the snowy foothills west of Denver on Wednesday
  • It appeared that she had been dead for more than 24 hours
  • The FBI said Pais raised suspicion after making comments to people at home in Florida about Columbine and then buying three one-way tickets to Denver
  • She flew from Miami to Denver on Monday and headed straight to the Colorado Gun Broker shop, just two miles from Columbine High School
  • She legally purchased a 12-gauge pump-action shotgun, which is the same gun used in the 1999 massacre
  • The dozens of schools that were forced to close as a precaution during the daylong manhunt reopened on Thursday with heightened security measures

This is a very sad story. I can understand why the police acted the way they did, but then again (and with the benefit of hindsight, now), it would seem like law enforcement over-reacted a bit. This a story about a girl who simply wanted to commit suicide. She was somewhat demonized (for lack of a better word) based on her writings, which in itself is sad also, and a reflection of where we are as a society, in this hyper-sensitive era where gun violence and school shootings are the norm; and a teenager's journal has to be taken so seriously, as it was in this case. I feel like the report of her "running around" was false and never happened.

I feel like all this girl wanted to do was end her life and never be found. There is a drawing in her journal that haunts me more than anything else of her writings: it's of mountain tops, with the sun in the background, and evergreen trees that you'd find in Colorado, with the words "I'm not supposed to be here" written below. It's beyond coincidence that she was "found" where she always wanted to be: in those mountains.

• Sol Pais, 18, died of a self-inflicted gunshot wound on April 15 in a wooded area near Denver
  • A coroner revealed the Florida high school student killed herself before the FBI had even learned she had traveled to Colorado
  • Authorities said she took her own life the same day she arrived in Denver from Miami after going straight to a gun store to buy a shotgun
  • Authorities launched a wide scale manhunt for the teenager and warned that she was armed and 'extremely dangerous'
  • They warned she had become 'infatuated' with the Columbine massacre
Columbine obsessed teenager killed herself before the FBI knew she was a threat | Daily Mail Online

Based on reports that SP was dead shortly after arriving Denver and purchasing a long gun, perhaps it was nothing more than gun access for her.

She was obviously a troubled young woman but I don't think we will ever know the truth of why she traveled cross country-- after purchasing more than one airfare.

What you need to know about buying a gun in Florida

Based on reports that SP was dead shortly after arriving Denver and purchasing a long gun, perhaps it was nothing more than gun access for her.

She was obviously a troubled young woman but I don't think we will ever know the truth of why she traveled cross country-- after purchasing more than one airfare.

That was certainly at least part of it. In Florida, you have to be 21. I believe the extra tickets were just in case she couldn't leave that Monday, for whatever reason. I'm not sure if other states let you purchase a gun at 18; if so, there was another draw to Colorado for her.

I do think it had something to do with the fact that, Colorado (in my view) is the opposite of Florida: cold, mountains, etc. For a person who grew up in warm weather, near the ocean, with palm trees -- and who felt like she didn't belong in the world (as she knew it) -- it makes sense why she would pick a destination that was the polar opposite of the world she had always known. She obviously had to have some sort of familiarity with that park also -- perhaps that is what she considered beautiful.

You're right, we will never know for sure. Its sad, the comment that she told the driver. "she wanted to see snow." I wish she could have talked to someone about her problems and found help. It seems like she was really an amazing girl. I know that to some life can seem so empty, so alone. But it isn't. There are wonderful things and people all around us. Some just need a little help to connect to that.

That was certainly at least part of it. In Florida, you have to be 21. I believe the extra tickets were just in case she couldn't leave that Monday, for whatever reason. I'm not sure if other states let you purchase a gun at 18; if so, there was another draw to Colorado for her.

I do think it had something to do with the fact that, Colorado (in my view) is the opposite of Florida: cold, mountains, etc. For a person who grew up in warm weather, near the ocean, with palm trees -- and who felt like she didn't belong in the world (as she knew it) -- it makes sense why she would pick a destination that was the polar opposite of the world she had always known. She obviously had to have some sort of familiarity with that park also -- perhaps that is what she considered beautiful.
I forgot to note the following about buying shotgun in Colorado versus Florida.

Florida law mandates that individuals purchasing long guns be at least 21 years old, and requires at least a three-day waiting period. In Colorado, a buyer must only be 18 to purchase a shotgun, and there’s no waiting period.

I also remember age 18 being a difficult time in my life. Although I was in now in the US, I delayed University for a year (known as gap year), and my take on life improved.

I too hurt for this girl. RIP Ms. Pais.......

I forgot to note the following about buying shotgun in Colorado versus Florida.

Florida law mandates that individuals purchasing long guns be at least 21 years old, and requires at least a three-day waiting period. In Colorado, a buyer must only be 18 to purchase a shotgun, and there’s no waiting period.

I also remember age 18 being a difficult time in my life. Although I was in now in the US, I delayed University for a year (known as gap year), and my take on life improved.

I too hurt for this girl. RIP Ms. Pais.......

Yes, I think 18 is a tough age for the majority of us. My teen years were tough, but once I got to college, my outlook on life changed. It makes you wish: if she only held on just a little longer, maybe her outlook would have changed once she left home and she could have found her own way. Although sometimes, it's not as easy as that; I don't mean to minimize the effect of depression in any way.

Woman 'infatuated' with Columbine died day she arrived in Colorado, before warnings issued: coroner
May 2, 2019
[...]
The Clear Creek County coroner said in an autopsy summary that Sol Pais, 18, is estimated to have died in the "afternoon or early evening" of April 15, the same day she flew from Miami to Denver.

“Autopsy revealed massive head injuries consistent with a self-inflicted gunshot wound, with no other injuries or marks present,” according to the coroners initial findings in the report obtained by The Denver Post.
[...]
Clear Creek County Undersheriff Bruce Snelling previously told The Denver Post that the "logical likelihood" was that Pais had killed herself on April 15, after a tactical team followed footprints in deep snow and determined she had been dead for more than 24 hours.
[...]
Chief Deputy Coroner Harriet Hamilton said that the office is awaiting test results before producing a final autopsy report.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clancehan
Back