Found Safe TX - SS, 8, Fort Worth, kidnapped while walking w/mother, 18 May 2019

'We owe a debt that can never be repaid': Salem Sabatka's family thanks Fort Worth community in statement

The family also shared photos of Salem to show she is doing well. One picture shows the girl in the hospital with two police officers. The other shows the girl wearing bunny ears Tuesday in a car.

Full statement from the family:

We would like to begin by thanking the Fort Worth Police Department, the FBI, and the numerous other law enforcement agencies involved in bringing Salem back home. The biggest thank you goes to the people of Fort Worth and surrounding areas that made her return possible. We feel we owe a debt that can never be repaid. We do hope one day to personally thank as many of those involved as possible. We hope Fort Worth will get to know Salem over time and come to see the strong, articulate, intelligent 8-year-old girl they saved.

Things will never be the way they were, but they will get better. Salem has been surrounded by family and friends ever since she returned. As time goes by, she will be making more and more friends in this amazing city.

And to Jeff King, a man we haven’t seen in 15 years, your name will forever be etched in our hearts.

Riz, Rachel and Salem

'We owe a debt that can never be repaid': Salem Sabatka's family thanks Fort Worth community in statement

The family also shared photos of Salem to show she is doing well. One picture shows the girl in the hospital with two police officers. The other shows the girl wearing bunny ears Tuesday in a car.

We would like to begin by thanking the Fort Worth Police Department, the FBI, and the numerous other law enforcement agencies involved in bringing Salem back home. The biggest thank you goes to the people of Fort Worth and surrounding areas that made her return possible. We feel we owe a debt that can never be repaid. We do hope one day to personally thank as many of those involved as possible. We hope Fort Worth will get to know Salem over time and come to see the strong, articulate, intelligent 8-year-old girl they saved.

Things will never be the way they were, but they will get better. Salem has been surrounded by family and friends ever since she returned. As time goes by, she will be making more and more friends in this amazing city.

And to Jeff King, a man we haven’t seen in 15 years, your name will forever be etched in our hearts.

Riz, Rachel and Salem

WOW!!! What a statement, so well articulated.

Riz, Rachel and Salem

What a beautiful statement. It gives me so much hope for her. I really think they will do everything to help her heal and thrive. What a lovely family.

Since the tipster said she saw the girl... I'm inclined to think she had been in the room at some point. However, I don't know. It IS confusing. I think what this may come down to is not having a warrant. Without a warrant they are limited.

I am not sure of the legalities when it's a hotel room. I DO know if they had heard her in a drawer, they could have opened it. Just like they were able to enter the room once they believed she WAS in it. I don't know if they could have opened it if they didn't have reason to believe she was in it.

WOODSPRING SUITES FORT WORTH FOREST HILL $80 ($̶1̶0̶6̶) - Prices & Hotel Reviews - TX - TripAdvisor

SS is small but not terribly short. Drawers would be a tight fit. As would fridge. I think everything else (desk, tub) would be open and visible Did he have a suitcase? That might be the safest bet for him, legally speaking they likely wouldn't search that.

Most hotel beds don't have space under the beds, many people simply assume none of them do. However, some will. Some also have space under there if you move a faux frame out of the way. That is my guess right now.

I'm guessing that in those several minutes he moved that frame from one side and put her under the bed. Then replaced that side. So cops would have looked and it would have appeared like nothing could fit under the bed.

She certainly could have been in a drawer too, just seems much more risky.

If the hotel gave them permission to search the rooms they wouldn't need a warrant.

ETA:

I'm wrong about that. They would need a warrant. There was a Supreme Court decision called Stoner v. California (1969) that covered hotel rooms.

Last edited:
I'm not sure which part was fantastic. (I do not mean this in a condescending way.) LE didn't find her. They didn't distribute her information. They didn't conduct broad searches. The citizens of Ft Worth and surrounding cities did. They distributed information HOURS before LE did. They were searcher further than LE for hours. They found her.

LE really just existed in this case. They are so lucky that she was found alive. Enormously lucky. They really showed what not to do. I cannot even tell you the local frustration in this case.

I am generally a massive benefit of doubt kind of person with LE, but I'm not giving them that here. They failed and got lucky.

Hi Blue. How would local people know her description if LE didn't distribute it?

Of course they distributed it. Via broadcast and social media. Just because they didn't also do it by phone alerts doesn't mean her description wasn't broadcast.

What do you mean they didn't conduct broad searches? Did LE not search for her?

If the hotel gave them permission to search the rooms they wouldn't need a warrant.

ETA:

I'm wrong about that. They would need a warrant. There was a Supreme Court decision called Stoner v. California (1969) that covered hotel rooms.

I edited my post. I was wrong about not needing a warrant for a hotel search!

The kidnapper fled in a car. So why didn’t police share details with everyone sooner?

A nice detailed article of how the community used social media to band together to find SS.

Well, that about says it all. What a great job the local citizens did!!!

If not for social media, would she have been found?

I hope, the city will recognize these outstanding citizens!!!! The city council and the Governor certainly
needs and should recognize these citizens especially Jeff king and his partner.

If not, I think the family will.

Last edited:

Riz, Rachel and Salem

Beautiful letter. Made me tear up. That kid DOES look strong! Undefeated!

Hi Blue. How would local people know her description if LE didn't distribute it?

Of course they distributed it. Via broadcast and social media. Just because they didn't also do it by phone alerts doesn't mean her description wasn't broadcast.

The situation and her description was circulated on social media by people in the city HOURS before the police made any statements. People were already looking for her for hours before there was anything from LE.

By "broad searches" I mean that citizens were looking further out than LE was, and before LE was.

ETA: to be more specific, I believe the first time I saw anything "official" was a local scanner page after 8 pm. There still wasn't anything from LE at this point. (MSM had started picking it up in between the scanner and the LE statements.) I believe the first time LE spoke about it was around 9 pm. The first I saw of it was 6:45ish on a local facebook page. People had already started searching by then. So between 6:45 and around 9:00...NOTHING from LE. Most children who are abducted are dead by then.

Last edited:
The situation and her description was circulated on social media by people in the city HOURS before the police made any statements. People were already looking for her for hours before there was anything from LE.

By "broad searches" I mean that citizens were looking further out than LE was, and before LE was.

I'm waiting for the City to make a statement. The presser was cancelled.

IMO, the city needs to come clean admit to the problems and commit to a fix. And thank the citizens that found her!!!

Family and friends initially posted. We had two WS posting, one searched a grid on the east side and the other was ill, did not go out but monitored the search.

LEs first post on SM was 11:30 pm, media was not notified due to problems with a fax machine.

LE did a call at the hotel, did not find the girl and failed to report or follow up, but closed the call.
The preacher went to the same hotel found the car and called LE.

I saw one article, they were going door to door and a person obtained the I formation and posted on FB immediately.

LE had the media, instagram, and fb and failed to use any of these sources. I was checking Fort Worth media that night, not a word...nada...

To add. The picture of the car and the picture of her from earlier in the day were circulated on social media, well before LE made a statement. The picture wasn't posted on twitter until well after their 2 press conferences. It took them I believe 2 hours to correct her eye color and name on twitter. (It might have been only 1.)

In fact...they have a picture on twitter that is a screenshot from facebook...

ETA: to be more specific, I believe the first time I saw anything "official" was a local scanner page after 8 pm. There still wasn't anything from LE at this point. (MSM had started picking it up in between the scanner and the LE statements.) I believe the first time LE spoke about it was around 9 pm. The first I saw of it was 6:45ish on a local facebook page. People had already started searching by then. So between 6:45 and around 9:00...NOTHING from LE. Most children who are abducted are dead by then.

That's true. I wonder why they didn't release anything sooner?

Yes, the public (King) found her but it was long after information was released, including the AMBER alert.

Is it possible they weren't sure about her story and were verifying everything first? It is a very rare abduction - a man stealing a child off the street in broad daylight, as she walked with her own parent! Do you think they were skeptical at first?

Family and friends initially posted. We had two WS posting, one searched a grid on the east side and the other was ill, did not go out but monitored the search.

LEs first post on SM was 11:30 pm, media was not notified due to problems with a fax machine.

LE did a call at the hotel, did not find the girl and failed to report or follow up, but closed the call.
The preacher went to the same hotel found the car and called LE.

I saw one article, they were going door to door and a person obtained the I formation and posted on FB immediately.

LE had the media, instagram, and fb and failed to use any of these sources. I was checking Fort Worth media that night, not a word...nada...

Wow. Not good. She is lucky to be alive after such a delay and God knows what she endured for that long.

No good excuse for the lack of any use of social media or for an alert to the media right away.

I do note that the first post on the thread shows a news article that was published on Saturday at 8:45 p.m. It lacked any relevant detail, however, until 10:06 with the child's description and then 10:26 and 10:48 with the AMBER alert. I wonder if they were skeptical at first due to the strange nature of the kidnapping.

The delay certainly could've led to her death. No doubt we are all thrilled she is alive but this was narrow. Scary.

Yes, the public (King) found her but it was long after information was released, including the AMBER alert.

Is it possible they weren't sure about her story and were verifying everything first? It is a very rare abduction - a man stealing a child off the street in broad daylight, as she walked with her own parent! Do you think they were skeptical at first?

I don't know how they could have been. There was video and witnesses who saw the tail end. I read on social media there was a video, but didn't see the video until LE released it. Surely, if the existence of a video was circulating on social media right away, LE would have known about it? There was a picture of the car circulating. It's only my assumption that it came from the video. I don't know that as a fact.

Also, no one got an amber alert on their phone. It never made an appearance on the amber alert website, either. (The reasons why addressed further above.) Most people (especially with several large festivals, concerts, and events in the area) aren't going to be googling for missing children.

To add. The picture of the car and the picture of her from earlier in the day were circulated on social media, well before LE made a statement. The picture wasn't posted on twitter until well after their 2 press conferences. It took them I believe 2 hours to correct her eye color and name on twitter. (It might have been only 1.)

In fact...they have a picture on twitter that is a screenshot from facebook...

Dang!

A neighbor witnessed the event and had doorbell footage.

It was 3 1/2 hours before the PR person showed up at the scene. Not sure why they even reported this, as he did not release anything until til 11:30 pm. It was after 10 before the Amber Alert was sent on and had to be forwarded to another agency to sent out. FW did NOT want released until 6am, because of potential citizens complains.

I've searched and searched and seen no information released that LE was actively searching, except were they went door to door with the neighbors. This AFTER they had I interviewed eyewitnesses and had the doorbell footage.

IMO, its like this wasn't a priority or they didn't know what to do. IMO, I've been reading the FW news TV and print. I've seen little coverage of this, but have notice the vast amount of crime. I'm sure being in a metro area it is difficult but this started with the Forrest Hill police. Not sure how FWPD became involved but thank goodness they did.
FWPD arrived 6 minutes after FHPD at the hotel, the second time. Articles state FWPD breached the door and went in. Makes me wonder about FH police.

City of Forest Hill - Police Department

A neighbor witnessed the event and had doorbell footage.

It was 3 1/2 hours before the PR person showed up at the scene. Not sure why they even reported this, as he did not release anything until til 11:30 pm. It was after 10 before the Amber Alert was sent on and had to be forwarded to another agency to sent out. FW did NOT want released until 6am, because of potential citizens complains.

I've searched and searched and seen no information released that LE was actively searching, except were they went door to door with the neighbors. This AFTER they had I interviewed eyewitnesses and had the doorbell footage.

IMO, its like this wasn't a priority or they didn't know what to do. IMO, I've been reading the FW news TV and print. I've seen little coverage of this, but have notice the vast amount of crime. I'm sure how Bri g in a metro area is a tiff, but this started with the Forrest Hill police. Not sure how FWPD became involved nut thank goodness they did.
FWPD arrived 6 minutes after FHPD at the hotel, the second time. Articles state FWPD breached the door and went in. Makes me wonder about FH police.

City of Forest Hill - Police Department

Hmm. Not good.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa