Identified! IL - Cook Co, BlkMale, 20-30, Tats: Cleveland 216, Rubber City Boy 330, NFL, Jun'15 - Michael Rogers

I think it was the brother (?) who also said that he knew it had to be his brother but he was thrown off because the person was identified as Asian.
I think that's what's bothering them is that it caused a delay in identifying their loved one. But yes, it would be good to change it on WS in case they ever visit this site.
It was his brother and he made it very clear his brother was very loved and very much missed

It can't really be ironic that this Navy veteran was found off Navy Pier, can it? Makes me wonder if he was depressed.

I cant speak to the depressed part, but I do know a lot of bodies that are dumped in the lake end up near Navy Pier because of the tides.

There is a walkway that runs along the lake and during gales there have been many people that have been swept into the lake by waves crashing over the break walls and there is no way out of the water from many locations along the walk way. It is a deep drop, and during heavy waves it is quite easy to get many hundreds of yards out into the lake because of the rip currents . It is just very possible that he was walking when a wave crashed over him and took him away.

You see a lot of people in Chicago that wear a pair of sweatpants under jeans during the winter months because the winds are fiercely cold in Chicago.

Gardener1850 correctly guessed the UID having played football for Garfield HS early in the thread. This rang true to me and I spent quite a bit of time going through lists of alumni that would have been born around 1987. Unfortunately I focused on names that suggested Asian heritage. To be clear, I'm sure I wouldn't have found him even if he was listed as African-American. That type of sleuthing is just too hit-or-miss.

RIP Michael Rogers

I didn't know that the VA covered so little when the veteran's death is non service related... that's unfortunate. Maybe they would make an exception for this unique situation, the exhumation seems to be very expensive
Both my parents were WWII veterans, the military paid for the grave markers. That's been a few years back not sure if that is still the case.

Both my parents were WWII veterans, the military paid for the grave markers. That's been a few years back not sure if that is still the case.
If internment is in a national cemetery, the VA will pay for the internment and headstone. If internment is at a private cemeter , they'll only pay for the headstone. Funeral and mortuary services are not covered, although the Social Security Administration does give a $225 payout. Usually a VFW or American Legion will donate the flag and honor guard.

With permission from Michaels family I’m posting this pic. It’s good to see the face of the man we helped to identify. His sister reached out to thank me and tell me some about her brother. I really wish we all would have the opportunity to have this happen. Realizing now how much more Michael was than his end. How much more we are all doing by bringing the names back to the unidentified people. I really wish I could have met Mike. He reminds me so much of my own brother. I really wish they would investigate Mikes death further I really feel like justice was not served for him.

Attachments

• F3A2F7FB-35FF-4472-8D41-0941D005DFCD.jpeg
    F3A2F7FB-35FF-4472-8D41-0941D005DFCD.jpeg
    45.7 KB · Views: 79
With permission from Michaels family I’m posting this pic. It’s good to see the face of the man we helped to identify. His sister reached out to thank me and tell me some about her brother. I really wish we all would have the opportunity to have this happen. Realizing now how much more Michael was than his end. How much more we are all doing by bringing the names back to the unidentified people. I really wish I could have met Mike. He reminds me so much of my own brother. I really wish they would investigate Mikes death further I really feel like justice was not served for him.
Thank you so much for posting this. After spending hours staring at his gruesome post mortem pictures, seeing this actually made me cry. It's so good to see him alive and smiling. What a handsome guy.

If Mike's family ever returns to read this thread, I want to pass along my condolences. Wishing them peace in closure.

Thank you so much for posting this. After spending hours staring at his gruesome post mortem pictures, seeing this actually made me cry. It's so good to see him alive and smiling. What a handsome guy.

If Mike's family ever returns to read this thread, I want to pass along my condolences. Wishing them peace in closure.
Once they are able to have him brought home and buried with his family they can begin the healing process. Unfortunately a lot of red tape has halted there efforts. I never realized the level of work the unidentifieds family has to tackle once they are given their names back. If anyone has any experience with Illinois laws please reach out to me in a PM

Once they are able to have him brought home and buried with his family they can begin the healing process. Unfortunately a lot of red tape has halted there efforts. I never realized the level of work the unidentifieds family has to tackle once they are given their names back. If anyone has any experience with Illinois laws please reach out to me in a PM
Their*

what a handsome young man. RIP Michael.

What a handsome young man. Thank you to you and his family for sharing.

Another identification case in Chicago was recently delayed because the coroner got the UID's race wrong. The family of the other victim is trying to take action. If Mike's family is interested, they should join forces.
Identified! - IL - Chicago, WhtMale, UP52811, 25-40, "Nathan, Emily, Faith" tattoos 6 Sept 2018 - David Waue

Another identification case in Chicago was recently delayed because the coroner got the UID's race wrong. The family of the other victim is trying to take action. If Mike's family is interested, they should join forces.
Identified! - IL - Chicago, WhtMale, UP52811, 25-40, "Nathan, Emily, Faith" tattoos 6 Sept 2018 - David Waue

I'm glad the family of this man in Chicago finally found out what happened. However, I think there are significant differences.

There was uncertainty about Michael Rogers race. He was identified as White, then Asian. There was also the issue with him being badly decomposed.
The composite drawing of Michael Rogers looked exactly like him, but unfortunately stated he was Asian.

The man in the link you provided should have been easily identified because he had been to prison at some point and there were fingerprints, DNA, etc. available.

Thanks for sharing this link.

But Mi
I'm glad the family of this man in Chicago finally found out what happened. However, I think there are significant differences.

There was uncertainty about Michael Rogers race. He was identified as White, then Asian. There was also the issue with him being badly decomposed.
The composite drawing of Michael Rogers looked exactly like him, but unfortunately stated he was Asian.

The man in the link you provided should have been easily identified because he had been to prison at some point and there were fingerprints, DNA, etc. available.

Thanks for sharing this link.
chael was military. Should that same info not have been available?

But Mi

chael was military. Should that same info not have been available?
Not sure about Michael's DNA being on file through the prison system, but his fingerprints should have been, either through AFIS or the military, had they known the remains were that of a veteran. However, making a match that way is only as good as the information being in either of those databases as a missing person.
The FBI recently enhanced their equipment and are working on updating the databases, but most of the older prints are not digitized. So, his fingerprints were most likely out there, but where they were all the time he was unidentified is the question.
I've been trying to ID a FL John Doe (1984) through the military using fingerprints because his tattoos indicate he may have been in the armed forces. I haven't been successful because most of them are on cards in a repository somewhere, and some of them were destroyed by fire (or flood? I can't remember).

Michael's prints should be on file somewhere with the military. Also, his race was misidentified, just like David. Who knows if he would have been identified immediately or more quickly if his prints had been compared and his race had been properly listed. I know a few of us focused on the Asian communities of Akron because he was listed as an Asian male...

ETA: We should probably take all the info coming in about Chicago Does with a grain of salt. There are a lot of Does in NamUs. One of them was found in a car, I wonder if they even ran the plate...You'd think it would be obvious to run it, but you'd think fingerprints would be obvious to run, too.

Last edited:
Michael's prints should be on file somewhere with the military. Also, his race was misidentified, just like David. Who knows if he would have been identified immediately or more quickly if his prints had been compared and his race had been properly listed. I know a few of us focused on the Asian communities of Akron because he was listed as an Asian male...

ETA: We should probably take all the info coming in about Chicago Does with a grain of salt. There are a lot of Does in NamUs. One of them was found in a car, I wonder if they even ran the plate...You'd think it would be obvious to run it, but you'd think fingerprints would be obvious to run, too.

As I mentioned earlier, I am willing to be more understanding in Michael's case because they were dealing with a badly decomposed body. I don't know if they were able to retrieve finger prints from his body. They tried to find his identity by publishing pictures of his tattoos, and a picture that looked exactly like him, but unfortunately the wrong race. He was also discovered in a city that he was not living in.
The other Chicago Doe case was 100% carelessness.

And I agree with you, we should be cautious about any "official" information the public is provided about any UID's from Chicago. This is unfortunate.

I cant speak to the depressed part, but I do know a lot of bodies that are dumped in the lake end up near Navy Pier because of the tides.

There is a walkway that runs along the lake and during gales there have been many people that have been swept into the lake by waves crashing over the break walls and there is no way out of the water from many locations along the walk way. It is a deep drop, and during heavy waves it is quite easy to get many hundreds of yards out into the lake because of the rip currents . It is just very possible that he was walking when a wave crashed over him and took him away.

You see a lot of people in Chicago that wear a pair of sweatpants under jeans during the winter months because the winds are fiercely cold in Chicago.

Thank you for sharing your insight.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa
Back