Found Safe NC - Shaylie Madden, 7-week-old infant, Biltmore Park in Asheville, 9 May 2019 *Arrest*

Does post partum depression hit a woman minutes after she gives birth>?

Women can also suffer from antenatal depression. A friend of mine has four beautiful children who she loves, but she is depressed her entire pregnancy. There’s a lot of misinformation and miseducation when it comes to maternal mental health and care.

I’m not saying that this woman had it, but it’s definitely possible.

I am just a little confused and frustrated. I know others have shared the sentiment, but I am seeing a lot of people hoping mom gets help and hoping the family finds peace. I understand that, and want the same, but there have been so many moms that have injured or killed their babies and they don’t seem to be getting that same treatment. I can’t help but wonder, if KM came from a less wealthy family, or didn’t have a good job and a husband that is a physician, would people be reacting the same way? JMO....
No IMO!

I had post partum depression, probably largely due to the fact that my labor was traumatizing (I almost died and had to go through several procedures after birth, ending in an emergency hysterectomy. The birth was also a c-section, which can be traumatizing on its own).

I remember not being able to bond with my son. It didn't help that I was in the hospital away from him the first three weeks of his life. I didn't want to hold him (which was difficult to do anyway, having been cut open twice) I didn't want to feed him. I didn't want to interact with him. I was severely exhausted from the pain pills and anemia.

One day I was driving with my mom and son in the back, and the thought of intentionally crashing the car popped into my head.

I went to the ER for pain in my leg, worried it was a blood clot. I was bawling and freaking out, and they immediately diagnosed me with post partum depression and put me on a hold. They put me on antidepressants and a benzo, and within a few weeks I started to feel better.

Anyway, post partum depression/psychosis/mania/ocd are all very serious conditions that we need to be more proactive about. Even family members should be involved in the education process, as they are likely to be the ones to notice that something is off.

Even if a mother would never hurt her own child, she poses a significant risk to herself.

Anyway, I am glad the baby is safe. I wish help would've been received before this point was reached, but at least nobody got seriously hurt.

I wanted to add, my post wasn't meant to excuse her behavior. There is a difference between having thoughts of something and getting help, then actually taking action. She crossed the line into acting out, and that makes her a danger. I do hope she gets help, but I think she needs to show several years of stability before she's allowed completely back in her child's life.

I don't think she should have anything more than supervised visits in a public setting at this point, for baby's safety. She has already shown she has no problem putting her in severe danger. Postpartum depression or not, we are accountable for our actions, especially when they involve others.

I also feel bad for baby; when she grows up, she is going to be able to see via news and internet that her mom tried to kill her. That is psychologically scarring.

Info about Kayla and PPP/PPD

Postpartum psychosis — why loving moms sometimes hurt their babies

And while a history of mental health issues does increase the risk of postpartum psychosis — women with bipolar disorder have a 1-in-5 chance — Kimmel said many mothers she’s treated for postpartum psychosis had no significant mental health problems in the past. "Statistically, at least half haven't," Kimmel said.

Madden has not yet received any official diagnoses, according to her attorney Sean Devereux, who said the incident came "totally out of the blue." Madden was struggling to sleep, Devereux said in a May 13 interview to the Citizen Times, and had "sort of been stressed," but did not show signs of depression according to family.

Just wanted to chime in on this case because I know a woman who suffered from postpartum psychosis and killed her 3 year old and 3 month old shortly after being released from a psych unit where she was being treated for postpartum depression. I attended the funerals of her babies and it was horrible. She did a few years at a psych hospital and was released. She and her husband now advocate for mental health awareness and treatment and truly are wonderful people. I feel like there is a difference between Krista Madden and women who harm their children while suffering from postpartum psychosis though and that is that that don't try to cover up what they've done because they don't understand it was wrong, both the woman that I know who killed her children, and Andrea Yates made no attempt to hide what they had done when their husbands come home. Krista may not have killed her child but she came close and then lied about what she did making me think she planned this for attention especially since she said she was kidnapped but got away. More of a Susan Smith or Diane Downs type of behavior.

After throwing her baby down a ravine and concocting a story that she and her baby were kidnapped, a judge allowed Krista Madden out of jail on $100,000 bond. She is allowed to have supervised visits and phone chats with her two daughters.

Judge Peter Knight reduced Madden's bond from $750,000 to $100,000 with the condition that she have no direct contact with her two children.
Bond reduced for Krista Madden, mother accused of throwing baby into ravine

Case Details

12/01/2019

Case Number:

19CRS051981
Defendant Name:

MADDEN,KRISTA
County:

HENDERSON
Court Date:

12/18/2019
Session:

AM
Court Room:

Citation:

Arraigned Offenses
Offense Code Description Statute
0999 ATTEMPT FIRST DEGREE MURDER 14-17

Calendars / Alert

"...the United States lags behind when it comes to mental health care for perinatal moms, defined as women who are pregnant or have just given birth.
...there are already upwards of a dozen mother-and-baby psychiatric units across the UK. And just last year, the National Health Service committed an additional £365 million over the next five years to expand mental health care for perinatal women.
“Women who are in these situations and are suffering in this way need our sympathy and help, not our judgment,” Wald said. “(This mom)’s not demonic. She’s suffering from a mental illness.”
Postpartum psychosis — why loving moms sometimes hurt their babies

IMO, it's shameful that a wealthy and supposedly 'advanced' country such as ours is unable (or should I say unwilling) to provide appropriate care and education about this serious but treatable illness.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
truecrime-hazeleyes
Back