Found Deceased CA - Davey Johnson, Moto Journalist, Disappears On Motorcycle Trip, CA Route 49, 5 June 2019

Maybe this was mentioned before but....this article said the key was in the ignition. I don't know anything about motorcycles, but why would you leave the key in the ignition but take your laptop, phone, etc.... Especially on a bike that didn't belong to you. Wouldn't it be very easy to steal with the key in the ignition?

Sure, it would make it easy to steal with the key in the ignition. The thing is, I don't know how close the bike was left to the water, nor do I know whether it's a highly populated area or it's not. I don't think there was much risk of theft or he wouldn't have left the motorcycle as such.

Just to make sure I am understanding the facts right: The photo texted to a friend had him IN the creek at 2 AM or thereabouts?

If so, I wonder if it's what someone upthread said about hypothermia and not thinking clearly. I don't know why someone would go in a bitterly cold, swollen, quickly rushing stream in the middle of the night.

I'm very concerned that he drowned. I am hoping for the best for his family and friends, but this seems dire to me :(

I think the 2 am was the text to girlfriend /fiancé . 8:38 am (later that morning) was text to friend which says he was sitting in a creek that drains into the American river.
Just to make sure I am understanding the facts right: The photo texted to a friend had him IN the creek at 2 AM or thereabouts?

If so, I wonder if it's what someone upthread said about hypothermia and not thinking clearly. I don't know why someone would go in a bitterly cold, swollen, quickly rushing stream in the middle of the night.

I'm very concerned that he drowned. I am hoping for the best for his family and friends, but this seems dire to me :(

I don't know anything about motorcycles, but wouldn't a test drive mean you were expected to return quickly? That's another reason stopping for a swim makes no sense.

He was doing a test drive. This could last for days. Then he would write up a review of the bike he was test driving and submit to whatever magazine he was writing for.

He had an extremely rough night with weather and ice. Probably didn’t realize the speed of the water, as well as the coldness of the water. He was tired and “beat up” from
battling the elements.

I suppose he felt like a cool refreshing dip would help get him rejuvenated for the rest of his ride. Just a guess on my part.

Rbbm.
"Some of Mr. Johnson’s clothing and personal items including his cell phone, laptop computer, a down jacket, and a riding jacket were located by ground searchers on the Calaveras side of the swiftly moving Mokelumne River. The area was then searched by a tracking dog in the hopes of locating a scent trail leading to or from the clothing. The trail seemed to lead towards the river.

On Sunday, June 9th, search efforts were again increased, with allied agencies from the multiple agencies assisting in the search. This included utilizing additional scent trailing dogs on boats and near the water’s edge, as well as the use of jet skis to access areas above the Middle Bar bridge not readily accessible to ground crews due to the thick brush along the riverbanks. Ground crews located additional clothing confirmed to belong to Mr. Johnson in a small feeder stream in the general area of where the earlier clothing was located. The location was confirmed as the same spot he had sent the “selfie” photo pictured below to a friend. Deputies recovered Mr. Johnson’s motorcycle riding pants, jeans, wallet, and camera from this area. Scent dogs were again utilized in the area, with the results being similar to the first, a trail leading from the clothing to the river.

With all evidence pointing towards Mr. Johnson having gone into the Mokelumne River for unknown reasons and with no evidence of foul play, search efforts have continued in the subsequent days along the river’s edge, within the Mokelumne River and Pardee Reservoir below the Middle Bar Bridge. Search efforts are scheduled to continue throughout the week. Thus far searchers have logged over 225 miles of area covered, not including air coverage by helicopters and drones.

If anyone has seen David Gordon Johnson they are asked to call the Calaveras County Sheriff’s Office at (209) 754 6500, or the Investigations Tip Line at (209) 754-6030."

I've been thinking that he would need to stop in the dark and try to get a bit of sleep. Was not hot that day, so he'd likely nap in his driving gear. Then maybe awake with the morning sun and intend to take a quick dip to wake up.

It seems very plausible that he got in the river and then was tragically swept away by the bitterly cold snowmelt water.

I never realized the picture shown was the actual selfie he sent a friend when he was in the creek. So if he was in the creek at the selfie spot, and sent the pic, yet clothes are in two different spots, and cell phone was not in the selfie spot, what gives?

I’d love to see a map showing where selfie stream/creek/feeder stream was located in relation to the river and bike. Anyone know the name or have a map?

Also saw a reference to a possible sighting mentioned on the Facebook post by Abby. Sighting was on Friday at 4:30. Not confirmed.

I’d also like to know if the bike was able to start ok?

Surely they’ve looked at computer for any oddities as well?

So many strange things about this.

Unfortunately, I believe this has gone beyond dire and is now a recovery. I hope and pray that I am wrong- I would LOVE to be wrong!

I never realized the picture shown was the actual selfie he sent a friend when he was in the creek. So if he was in the creek at the selfie spot, and sent the pic, yet clothes are in two different spots, and cell phone was not in the selfie spot, what gives?

I’d love to see a map showing where selfie stream/creek/feeder stream was located in relation to the river and bike. Anyone know the name or have a map?

Also saw a reference to a possible sighting mentioned on the Facebook post by Abby. Sighting was on Friday at 4:30. Not confirmed.

JMO, he decided to take a skinny dip. He left his phone, laptop, jacket, etc. near his motorcycle by the river and hiked a little way up or downstream where he would have some privacy, to the more shallow "feeder stream". Searchers found the rest of his clothes there, where he had probably undressed and got into the water.

He may have slipped in the "feeder stream" and drifted down to the fast river. Let's hope he managed to get out somewhere downstream and is now waiting, in his birthday suit, for someone to find him.

ETA: From the looks of the photo and time he sent it, it was daylight. Per post above, his friend received the photo and text at 8:30 am.

Last edited:

JMO, he decided to take a skinny dip. He left his phone, laptop, jacket, etc. near his motorcycle by the river and hiked a little way away where he would have some privacy, maybe farther back next to the "feeder stream", where the found the rest of his clothing. The area where he left his bike, laptop, etc. was a public pullover spot, so he probably didn't want to skinny dip right there where someone could drive or walk up.

He may have slipped in the "feeder stream" and drifted down to the fast river. Let's hope he managed to get out somewhere downstream and is now waiting, in his birthday suit, for someone to find him.

I've been thinking that he would need to stop in the dark and try to get a bit of sleep. Was not hot that day, so he'd likely nap in his driving gear. Then maybe awake with the morning sun and intend to take a quick dip to wake up.

It seems very plausible that he got in the river and then was tragically swept away by the bitterly cold snowmelt water.
I wanted to say that MC hobbiest are known to ride many hours and long distances, my ex comes to ride the mountains for 6-8 hours non stop.I also want to mention a rider would never leave his bike unattended in an unsecured lot away from himself.Most will seat in a restaurant close to a window just to keep an eye out.

Re: key in ignition, odd indeed. cuffem is right -- rider is often line-of-site to the motorcycle in restaurants. Some of this is, um, pride, rider wants to know who is admiring the machine. (Some leave Go-Pros running to catch comments.)

Possibly Mr. Johnson was having problems related to hypothermia & abandoned his safety habits.

Possible thwarted theft. Key located in Mr. Johnson's things. Thief tries key in ignition, sees approaching headlights, leaves/hides OR thief tries ignition, leaves to pick up accomplice to drive to "motorcycle purchased from a guy this afternoon?" Returns to scene to find EMS & LE so keeps driving?

Mr. Johnson, we're waiting for news & hope any news is good!

JMHO YMMV

Re: key in ignition, odd indeed. cuffem is right -- rider is often line-of-site to the motorcycle in restaurants. Some of this is, um, pride, rider wants to know who is admiring the machine. (Some leave Go-Pros running to catch comments.)

Possibly Mr. Johnson was having problems related to hypothermia & abandoned his safety habits.

Possible thwarted theft. Key located in Mr. Johnson's things. Thief tries key in ignition, sees approaching headlights, leaves/hides OR thief tries ignition, leaves to pick up accomplice to drive to "motorcycle purchased from a guy this afternoon?" Returns to scene to find EMS & LE so keeps driving?

Mr. Johnson, we're waiting for news & hope any news is good!

JMHO YMMV
How long was the bike there before the search for him began though? Seems to me I read that LE didn't respond right away to his being missing. There would give plenty of time to steal that bike, IMO, even after he was possibly swept away in the current.

Plus, the right kind of thief would have had to come along. If I saw a key in the ignition of a bike, I'd have no clue how to start OR ride it. Not that I would steal it anyway. JS.

Also, perhaps when he went to test the water he was in sight of the bike. Not sure how far the river bank is from the parking area. It is a boat launch rest area and I saw signs for river access on google map of area. He left his clothes, laptop and phone there as well, so trusting he must have been, or at least thought he could keep an eye out.

Knowing that the creek selfie was in the AM and many belongings were right there on the shore, IMO he went into the water for what he thought was a quick bath/rinse down and got swept away.

Where did he sleep that night? He texted with his girlfriend around 2 AM and then sent the selfie after 8 AM.

Snow melt and a fast current (not visible with the naked eye) can be deadly. I don't think he jumped in, he might have stepped in a foot or two on the edge, your feet can get so cold you go numb almost instantly, its COLD. A river is not always well pitched, where you wade in like at a beach, you can take a foot in seeing the rocks below (slippery) take another step thinking your just going to wet your face, arms, etc with your hands dipping in the water, but the current and the cold can sweep you literally off your feet. If you are then in the deeper spot of the river, you are going at a rapid pace and must keep your faculties and roll out of it to get to the edge to pull yourself out. If you hit rocks (with your head) its game over. I honestly think this was a terrible accident, a perfect storm so to speak, and they will find him a long ways downstream caught up along the river bank. I am so sorry for his family and friends. IMHO

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
truecrime-hazeleyes
Back