Australia Australia - Theo Hayez, 18, Belgian backpacker, Byron Bay, June 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
My post with of the information surrounding this case was deleted because I didn’t link a source.
How do I link a Local Facebook group as the source?. I screenshot it all but it’s too big to load here apparently?.

As long as it's a main stream news FB page it should work.
Otherwise you can try to post several times, linking some of the info. in each post.
Just add your own thoughts to it; as the post has to be more than just the news article.

My post with of the information surrounding this case was deleted because I didn’t link a source.
How do I link a Local Facebook group as the source?. I screenshot it all but it’s too big to load here apparently?.
Here’s the rules regarding social media. You can link to MSM FB pages but cannot link to public group pages unless it’s an approved “Find Theo Hayez” FB group. No screenshots are allowed either. You have to link the source.

Rules - Social Media - Facebook, Twitter, etc.

Here’s the rules regarding social media. You can link to MSM FB pages but cannot link to public group pages unless it’s an approved “Find Theo Hayez” FB group. No screenshots are allowed either. You have to link the source.

Rules - Social Media - Facebook, Twitter, etc.
From the Rules link:

Public Pages
Mainstream Media (MSM)
Law Enforcement (LE)
Group support pages for victims, such as "Help Find..." and "Justice for...”
Legitimate non-profit organizations who provide assistance and support to victims and their families (e.g., Klass Kids, Texas Equusearch).

So I think the public FB page "Looking for Theo Hayez" set up by friends and family (admins: LH, CJ, MD) should qualify.

This is a post by MD an admin. The latest update from 12 Jun was, he was last seen at 11.17pm turning right onto Dryden St from Shirley St, in the Google Maps direction of his hostel.

Remember, posts from other group members and not verified, cannot be discussed here.

Admin if you think this group is not allowed, please remove this and apologies from me.

Just an FYI ...

The Looking for Theo Hayez FB page is an approved source.

Comments made by any Admin of that page can be brought here for discussion (no screenshots though).

Other comments by the general public are not allowed for discussion (because we have no way of knowing who they really are or how to verify who they are). If you think a general comment is interesting, you may direct WSers there by saying something along the lines of "interesting comment by ABC at 11:11 am". But remember ... it cannot be discussed here as it is considered rumor and rumor posts get removed.

On another note, Websleuths does not allow links to or discussion of fundraising.

Theo Hayez: Police dogs scour swamp in hunt for missing Belgian tourist
The search for missing Belgian backpacker Theo Hayez has moved to a Byron Bay swamp, close to a possible new sighting of the teenager.
Today detectives collected CCTV from a holiday rental home on Shirley Street which shows what family believe is the 18-year-old on the night he went missing.
A few hours later detectives, police and sniffer dogs were seen scouring through Cumbebin Swamp Nature Reserve.

Police dogs scour swamp in search for missing tourist

THE family of missing Belgian backpacker Theo Hayez have arrived in Australia to continue searching for the 18-year-old in Byron Bay.

Theo's father and other family members arrived overnight and will be staying in Byron Bay to assist police with their investigation.

"The dog squad will be about looking around bushland in Byron Bay," a NSW Police spokeswoman said.

Missing teen's dad arrives, dog squad continues search

The search has been narrowed down through the use of phone records.

He has not used his mobile phone or made any financial transactions.

Hayez’s mobile phone records have helped narrow down the search area to east of the Byron Bay CBD and in and around bushland to the north-e

Backpackers join Byron Bay search for missing Belgian Theo Hayez

The search has been narrowed down through the use of phone records.

He has not used his mobile phone or made any financial transactions.

Hayez’s mobile phone records have helped narrow down the search area to east of the Byron Bay CBD and in and around bushland to the north-e

Backpackers join Byron Bay search for missing Belgian Theo Hayez
It is possible to walk along the beach, from the area where his hostel is located, back to Byron Beach towards the east. Then he would perhaps not be picked up by any cctv cameras.

I guess the cops would've spoken and viewed CCTV from the Cheeky Monkey’s bar to check if Theo had a few too many.....I saw CCTV of him walking home and when I looked closer and noticed him not walking in a straight line although he was looking at his mobile.

But the CCTV discovered in recent days, which the family believes is Theo, puts him on Shirley Street at 11.17pm.
His cousin Lisa Hayez said he appears to walk across the road in the direction of the Wake Up! Hostel, where he had been staying.
“He was just turning right, so following google maps to go home,” Ms Hayez told 9News.
“Something happened between this place [Shirley Street] and the hostel, and I don’t know what."
A NSW Police spokesman confirmed police also searched the Cape Byron area today where Theo’s phone last pinged.
Police dogs scour swamp in search for missing tourist

All of this stuff is easily accessed altogether on the “Byron Bay Community Board” site and the “Looking for Theo” site. It’s also the first place to get updates by those closest to him.

He was last caught on cctv at 11.17 whilst on Shirley Street making his way back to his hostel. He would’ve got to his hostel by 11.30pm if he’d kept walking there. He however never made it to his hostel. Something happened along the way & took him off track by interrupting his journey home. His phone made its final ping at 12.20am in the Cape Byron - Tallow Beach area. The location of his hostel and the final place his phone pinged are around 5 kms apart along the beach front. He could’ve met someone whilst walking home along the dark streets to his hostel and walked with them along the beach towards the lighthouse. He could’ve detoured to the beach alone. The absence of a body or personal belongings is weird. It’d be too cold for a night swim, but if you fell in the water fully clothed whilst climbing near the lighthouse there could easily be nothing to find and the phone would die. Something has to give soon.

All of this stuff is easily accessed altogether on the “Byron Bay Community Board” site and the “Looking for Theo” site. It’s also the first place to get updates by those closest to him.

He was last caught on cctv at 11.17 whilst on Shirley Street making his way back to his hostel. He would’ve got to his hostel by 11.30pm if he’d kept walking there. He however never made it to his hostel. Something happened along the way & took him off track by interrupting his journey home. His phone made its final ping at 12.20am in the Cape Byron - Tallow Beach area. The location of his hostel and the final place his phone pinged are around 5 kms apart along the beach front. He could’ve met someone whilst walking home along the dark streets to his hostel and walked with them along the beach towards the lighthouse. He could’ve detoured to the beach alone. The absence of a body or personal belongings is weird. It’d be too cold for a night swim, but if you fell in the water fully clothed whilst climbing near the lighthouse there could easily be nothing to find and the phone would die. Something has to give soon.
RBBM

I agree with most of the possibilities that you mention.

Except that if he fell while hiking up to the lighthouse, along the popular walking trail, it was not possible to directly fall into any water. The trail is not close to water. Once you get to that "most eastern point of Australia", past the lighthouse, perhaps you can then fall down some cliff close to water. That would be quite a long fall I would imagine. It is quite high up there.

Sorry, I just meant wandering around the cliffs either side as there was mention of the final phone ping coming from the area around the lighthouse. Tallows Beach was mentioned too so doing whatever in the vicinity could involve a fall with water below or nearby. Could’ve been from anywhere in that area which covers a bit of ground, and may not have even been him holding the phone. We’re all clueless and it’s still baffling. My novice hunch is he connected with someone between Dryden Street and Childe Street which took him off course, possibly to the beach. Or just went to the beach outside his hostel on the way home. He changed course in that small area, but where, why and what for are still unknown. He was fine from 11.17pm to 12.20, some 50 minutes after he would’ve made it back to the hostel. I just hope this is resolved and there’s closure.

'People always turn up in Byron': Backpacker Theo Hayez still missing

After 20 years living in Byron, she said she had never seen something like this happen before.

While in previous years it wasn't uncommon for people visiting the alternative lifestyle haven to disappear into the hills for an overnight party or two, she said this was something else.

"This is totally different, this is totally next-level different and I haven't experienced this before," she said.

"People always show up in Byron."

To anyone who knows this area, is it possible that instead of turning right he mistakenly carried on walking straight, and then turned right into the creek? Would it be obvious that you were turning into the creek, or would it be too dark for him to realise? Also would the water be deep enough that if you fell in you could drown?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jojo53