Found Deceased UT - MacKenzie "Kenzie" Lueck, 23, Salt Lake City, 17 June 2019 #3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Last night I was considering the type of person who would be readily available to meet at 3am.

Today, I'm thinking in a completely new direction. I think this person planned to harm ML and therefore was up late because those were his specific plans. Or, he was up late trolling online and they hooked up while she was at the airport
jmo

I don't think there was intent to harm. Meeting at the park after a flight, he had to know she'd be taking a Lyft or Uber; she probably told him she was. He had to know he and his car would be seen. I think this was a planned meet-up with someone she knew or had been in online contact with for a while and things went downhill for some reason - accident or not.

<modsnipped quoted post>

I don't understand what you're saying. Posting a link to Mackenzie's Venmo account is no different from posting a link to her FB, IG, Twitter, LinkedIn, or any other account that is hers. Of course people could in theory go into any of those accounts and sleuth her friends -- that's always been the case. Venmo is no different.

Last edited by a moderator:
Pommy, maybe you can just make that your signature? :p

Catching up as usual here, threads are moving quickly.

I’m seeing upstream in a few posts about a Lyft driver being able to change a passenger’s destination? I don’t believe this to be true. If somebody can prove this to be true, please let me know because I have never heard of this. I mean, I imagine anything is possible when it comes to computers...

ETA:
Additionally, it was stated upstream that Kenzie arrived at her destination which was “originally” entered.
No, the Lyft driver cannot change the destination. This is already in the Lyft system- the driver chooses which passengers to pick up, in terms of their location. They do not know who the passenger is, where they are going until their passenger is in the car.

LYFT drivers cannot change the destination!

If you click on the transaction it brings it up and time stamp says 4:27 AM. This also might indicate that like a lot of young people it was not unusual for ML to be up at those early hours of the morning.

The time stamp on the most recent venmo payment I see is June 15, 2019 at 10:27 pm. Someone can double check and see if it's coming up different.

Here's one source:

Mackenzie Speth Lueck
NamUs #MP58257

Original

Missing Age 23 Years
Current Age 23 Years
Nickname/Alias Kenzie
Sex Female
Height 5' 6" (66 Inches)
Weight 145 lbs
Race / Ethnicity White / Caucasian
Hair Color Blond/Strawberry
Eye Color Brown
Other distinctive physical characteristic Possible Henna tattoo of dream catcher in the middle of her back
Clothing Black leggings, white t-shirt (peace sign on shirt)
Footwear Rainbow sandals
Date of Last Contact June 17, 2019
NamUs Case Created June 23, 2019
Last Known Location Map
Location Salt Lake City, Utah
County Salt Lake County

Circumstances of Disappearance Mackenzie was last known to be at the Salt Lake City International Airport around 1:01 AM. She left the airport in a ride share vehicle and was dropped off at Hatch Park in North Salt Lake.

The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)

Oh we got a clothing description?? I need to quick skipping around here. Thanks pommy. Will go back and try to read sequentially!!

Done
thx! I called it in.

I am guessing the day. No time stamp. Just 9d
i did

it doesn’t say? Maybe I don’t know how to see that?

You can put any icon you want there. It doesn’t mean it’s for internet.

Nah, user controls icons. Most would hide nefarious payments... drugs. Common to pay this way though.

I called it in. The person said “if it’s public, I’m sure they have but I’ll forward to investigators.
Great job on sleuthing and calling that in. Thank you for doing that.

You have to really feel for this Lyft driver. They pick up and drop off passengers, trying to make some side money to pay the bills. Then something like this happens, and naturally, folks assume they were the last person known with someone like Kenzie and it raises their suspicions.

I know of a couple of people that do Lyft and Uber. On their phones, they have a right to choose who they pick up and given the time of pick up- they do not see the name of the passenger. The last I knew, they did not know the person's destination until they got in the car (two months ago, this was the case)- that was frustrating for someone I know that does it, because he was at the end of his shift, and noticed someone was waiting for a ride for a bit, so he figured he would do it. Well, once they got in the car, he found out their destination was an hour and a half away- he was committed to it, so he had to complete the ride. By the way, they don't get reimbursed for the gas money, which I think is terrible if a passenger is going that far away, the least those driver places could do is reimburse them for the return trip for the gas.

Once they get to their destination, the Lyft/Uber driver signs off once the passenger is out of the car, and they either go to the next destination for another passenger or sign off for the night.

I don't know if this information helps with others questions about how Lyft/Uber works, but figured I would discuss this, to clear up any confusion as to how they work.

Agree and, while this pickup may be memorable because of time of day and drop off location, to the driver it was probably just another job. Of course, we're honing in on this particular job but who knows how many other passengers he/she drove that day, before and after Kenzie. By the time the Lyft driver was questioned, it had been something like 4 days later? He/she could have easily had 50 pickups and dropoffs since that night. Sure, the driver remembers Kenzie, that he/she picked her up at the airport and drove her to a park, but recalling what make and model the vehicle waiting on her was ... wow ... *rubs my head* ... not sure I would be able to either, especially, if as reported by the LE, the Lyft driver did not find Kenzie to be in distress. Perhaps if she was acting anxious or took a strange call while in route the driver would have honed in on such details but otherwise ...

Compartmentalization is probably a good way to describe this type of behavior.

We all do it to some extent, but some take it to more of an extreme.

My impression is that ML may be someone who does quite a bit of compartmentalization r/t different aspects of her life.

If true, this would in part explain why none of her friends knew about the NSL arrangements and are at a loss to explain it.

That behavior is not representative of the ML that her university friends and family know.

JMO.
I totally agree with this.

It’s interesting. When first learning of ML’s actions after flight, I reacted with surprise. I was thinking with my middle aged adult brain.

But after switching gears and channeling my 16-25 year old brain, I became a whole lot less surprised.

I think back to being ML’s age, and I definitely did things that were completely out of character for me. I compartmentalized. Some things I shared with friends, some things I did not.

Human brain development is a fascinating thing. I feel lucky to have survived some very idiotic decisions made in my younger years. I really hope ML is as fortunate.

As I understand it, summer school classes can still be full time if one is taking a “full load”. There are a specific amount of “hours” one has to take which determines whether or not they are classified as full time or part time. At least this is how it was at my university waaaay back in the day. I’m sure the University’s website provides clarification of this somewhere. Iirc, anything over 6 hours would be full time in the summer.

Correct. Typically for undergraduates Fall/Spring term 12 credit hours= full time, Summer 9 credit hours= full time

Graduates: fall/spring term 9 credit hours= full time, summer 6 credit hours= full time (with exceptions that 3 credit hours of dissertation or thesis work is full time during all terms)

Home - Catalog - The University of Utah

If she was meeting a stranger, yeah for sure it's dangerous and risky (I don't think that's the case). If she's meeting someone she knew, I think she would be even less likely to let anyone know.

But this is a problem amongst all my girlfriends. They think I'm trying to "mom them" but SO many of them don't understand the dangers of just going on a date with a stranger without anyone knowing where/when/who. I can't get most of them to get it. So she's definitely not the only one who behaves this way.

After this I hope they learn to appreciate you "momming them!" Don't stop!

Thinking about the 3am meet-up...

We know what time her flight actually landed, but do we know what time it was scheduled to arrive? And who the carrier was? I’m wondering if the meet-up only became necessary because they had someplace else they wanted/needed to be at a certain time. Meeting at some mid-point could be the easiest way to get back on schedule.

Carrier was Southwest, flight was 30 minutes late.

Do you think there's GPS on her car, is it new enough to have that?

This is a good train of thought. Perhaps if there’s a GPS record of her previous trips, it possibly could lend insight as to whom she may have been meeting, if this was not their first encounter.

money exchange app like paypal - you deposit money from an account into venmo and they can send money request money etc. and transfer surplus to a venmo master card or back to a bank account. in the old days, we did this with cash ...
Thank you so much. I kind of gleaned that after I read a few more posts, lol. Whew, this thread is hard to keep up with! Thanks again, @oviedo- you're always so helpful!

We post links to missing people's social accounts all the time. I don't see this as any different.
We are allowed to post the victim's public facebook page only, is my understanding. ......I can be wrong....... I sure would like to know if WS is now allowing us to post all these other SM sites now ?????

Says 4:27am for me.

I don't see a June 15, 2019 transaction. I can't figure out how to post a photo but what I see says,

on June 16, 2019 at 04:27AM - Comments (0)

Are you both in different time zones? It will read as when she did it but in your time zone.

IE if she Venmo’d at 10:30 pm PST it would appear as 1:30 am EST.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea Briann