Found Deceased UT - MacKenzie "Kenzie" Lueck, 23, Salt Lake City, 17 June 2019 #4

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have only used Lyft a couple of times and it was to go to specific addresses. Something I am wondering is...when putting in her destination via the app would she have been able to set the destination as the name of the park? I wasn’t sure since it’s been stated that it is just a small local park and not some sort of touristy known location. If not and she had to put in the specific address, would she have known that address herself? Seems unlikely and whoever was meeting her there would of had to give her the address in advance? Unless she had met someone there previously, as was speculated in previous threads. Just something I’ve been thinking about.

And to follow up on my previous post, yes it is unlikely that she meets someone at 3 AM in a park and they are not the ones responsible for harming her, but strange things can and do happen. I saw an episode of the ID show "See No Evil" where a woman was abducted from a bus stop. Her significant other had had an argument with her and was actually parked across the street from the bus stop in his car as show on CCTV. He ended up falling asleep in his car and missing that his girlfriend was getting abducted by someone at the stop across the street from him--a total stranger.

This kind of thing may be rare but it does happen. MOO

I don't think they meant physical contact, but it's possible. I thought maybe they said that to verify that the driver actually did take her to to a place where she definitely got into another car. Also to confirm that she seemed happy and nothing was wrong.
If he or she did get out of the car, apparently the driver was not paying attention to what they looked like. It was probably hard to see in the dark, and after all, he had no reason to pay much attention to those details. Imo

True, but again we don't know if LE is revealing everything they know. Most likely not. The Lyft driver could've reported more than LE is telling us.

Exactly. The situation is the same and has not changed. There is only a southbound exit. No on ramp. The Lyft driver had to take either HWY 89 to center or Redwood to center. I too believe this a local guy who drove down the hill to meet her and intended for it to be clandestine (but not necessarily sinister) as he has a double life

Just my opinion, but this seems unlikely. NSL bench has several spots, parks etc that are not right next to the PD with video surveillance signs looming on the pole. If it was a local person, it's someone coming from the west. If it's not a local, they got off at NSL Center St. The good thing is that to get back on the freeway, the person would have had to pass by businesses with cameras.

And to follow up on my previous post, yes it is unlikely that she meets someone at 3 AM in a park and they are not the ones responsible for harming her, but strange things can and do happen. I saw an episode of the ID show "See No Evil" where a woman was abducted from a bus stop. Her significant other had had an argument with her and was actually parked across the street from the bus stop in his car as show on CCTV. He ended up falling asleep in his car and missing that his girlfriend was getting abducted by someone at the stop across the street from him--a total stranger.

This kind of thing may be rare but it does happen. MOO

That is a great show. Hopefully they will get video outside the park/along with phone records.

ABC4 News at 6pm just reported LE is now able to search through her social media accounts and that combined with the warrants they got earlier today for her phone data and bank records will most assuredly lead them to whoever it was that picked her up at the park. That person might as well come forward now and make things easier on themselves. Meeting with LE with your selected lawyer is much easier than having a SWAT team kicking in your door.

I have only used Lyft a couple of times and it was to go to specific addresses. Something I am wondering is...when putting in her destination via the app would she have been able to set the destination as the name of the park? I wasn’t sure since it’s been stated that it is just a small local park and not some sort of touristy known location. If not and she had to put in the specific address, would she have known that address herself? Seems unlikely and whoever was meeting her there would of had to give her the address in advance? Unless she had met someone there previously, as was speculated in previous threads. Just something I’ve been thinking about.

I had this thought as well. I've only ever entered addresses in the app, but a GPS in a car will accept landmarks or public places. For her to know the specific address of the park, she had to have been there before, unless she looked it up online before entering it.

Not to beat a dead horse but I surely can't find anywhere the officers, NOT reporters, refer to Lyft driver as male or female.
Photos show missing student Mackenzie Lueck walking through Salt Lake airport
The horse is not dead, yet. Chief Doubt slips and uses the word “he” in the q&a part of yesterday’s press conference. It’s at about 6.55 in the video. SLC Police

Chief Doubt says the driver started taking calls...immediately after he dropped her off.

What if Mackenzie was in trouble... Maybe got mixed up with the wrong people?
Maybe a work situation that she cannot handle?
Could she have bolted to Canada that Sunday night?
This would explain the oversized suitcase.

ABC4 News at 6pm just reported LE is now able to search through her social media accounts and that combined with the warrants they got earlier today for her phone data and bank records will most assuredly lead them to whoever it was that picked her up at the park. That person might as well come forward now and make things easier on themselves. Meeting with LE with your selected lawyer is much easier than having a SWAT team kicking in your door.

Great news!

Respectfully, the driver has not been named as a person of interest or a suspect by LE, and according to the TOS here, any information about the driver is not to be discussed here.

IMO, LE has already investigated the driver six ways to Sunday and has not announced any arrests or identified any suspects, so we don't need to worry about the driver.

My SO drives for Lyft. We were just talking about how much it must suck to be that driver! I bet he's wishing he never accepted that rider at the airport! The guy could just be driving to make extra cash, working late or even got up early before a 1st shift job. My SO says he isn't at all surprised the driver doesn't recall much about the other vehicle/driver. He said he's in a "zone" just going through the motions, loading bags, drive to destination, unload bags, watching for alerts for the next rider, then while waiting for the rider to gather their things, get out of the car, shut the door and step away, he said he's usually looking at his phone to accept the next rider, enter pick up location for gps directions, check out the requested route/stops, where he's dropping off them off at etc. He's not looking around taking in the scenery. It's not unlikely the Lyft driver was already driving away/gone before KM even got into the waiting vehicle. He said she made contact with the another vehicle and we've heard multiple variations of she was happy to see the other person. That could mean she walked up to the driver window 1st to say "Hi!" before getting in, that she was waiting by the trunk for the driver to pop it open, or that she opened the passenger side door of the car, we don't know what contact means. It could even mean she waived as she got out and the person in the other vehicle waived out the window. We don't know how far from the vehicle picking her up she had the Lyft driver stop. She could've said "Oh good! There they are...you can just stop here..." Who knows how much or what part of the vehicle was visable to the Lyft driver. Getting rides from Uber/Lyft drivers isn't like when your friend drops you off and waits until they know you made it safely inside your house or insures that you and your luggage make it into the car of the person you just said you were looking forward to meeting. They drop off, door shuts, and they drive away already thinking about the next fair.

*He also said he's installing cameras in his vehicle ASAP.

Last edited:
The horse is not dead, yet. Chief Doubt slips and uses the word “he” in the q&a part of yesterday’s press conference. It’s at about 6.55 in the video. SLC Police

Chief Doubt says the driver started taking calls...immediately after he dropped her off.

From my experience, most Lyft/Uber drivers are male anyway. Of the last 20 Lyfts I've taken in the SLC area, 1 driver was a woman.

I've known Kenzie since 2011 at the latest.. (working on being a verified member).
Kenzie has been very open about no longer being very religious (i.e. not attending church) but has never been hostile to those who still do. For example, a close friend of hers recently got married at the temple in Los Angeles and she was in the bridal party. Likewise, her family is very supportive of her regardless of church activity. Some of her siblings don't attend church or adhere to the teachings and it's never been a big deal for the family or friends.

If anyone here is familiar with LDS, I'm wondering what is the procedure when a life long LDS member strays from the church?
Do church members come to the home? Do they make much effort to bring that person back 'in'?
Just curious ~Thanks

Sometimes they visit the home, it depends. Being as she was out of state it's likely that no one has visited her since she has been in school unless they have come across her or a friend/family member specifically sent them to Kenzie.

Also, since this post has exploded since I checked earlier, not sure if it's still relevant but Kenzie and I have ended up on the same flight from Los Angeles to Salt Lake several times coincidentally. As for the timing of her arrival and later departure, as previously mentioned it is very common for Southwest to be delayed (especially on flights later at night). Seeing as in airport photos she was carrying a bag and a backpack (two carry-0n items) her larger suitcase was probably checked meaning after the plane landed (1:35 A.M.) she still had to wait to be taxied, unloaded from the plane, and wait for baggage. This makes sense with the timeline that she ordered the Lyft at 2:42 A.M. It is not uncommon for it to take around that time (especially since it is a smaller airport and baggage claim is not huge).

Some Southwest flights have had phone chargers available and others have not. Depends on the newness of the plane. In my mind, it could be she turned her phone off after she met someone at the park of her phone eventually ran it's course after exiting the Lyft and died.

Instagram:

I have seen her links to the private Instagram before (like 6-8 months). It was private back then. I know it was mentioned that maybe she made it private recently but as far as I've known about the account, it has been private.

Not sure if any of this is relevant anymore or helpful but...you work fast!

Police release 'last known footage' of missing University of Utah student Mackenzie Lueck
[...]

Images taken from surveillance cameras at Salt Lake City International Airport showed Lueck at the airport between 2:09 and 2:40 a.m. June 17, about twenty minutes before a Lyft driver dropped her off at Hatch Park in North Salt Lake, police said.

"Over the course of approximately 31 minutes, Mackenzie walked from the jetway to catch the Lyft with a quick stop to pick up her luggage," Salt Lake City Assistant Police Chief Tim Doubt told reporters Tuesday. "She did not appear to talk to anyone in the airport."

“This is the last known footage we have of her,” he added.

[...]

We encourage the public to help us answer these lingering questions, such as who is the person she met at Hatch Park? Does Mackenzie have an alternate phone that she has used in the past or is using? Does she have social media accounts that we don't know about? Is anyone in contact with Mackenzie online currently or within the last week?"

[...]

He added that detectives continue to work “around the clock” on the case that is "a very high priority for us."

[...]

What if Mackenzie was in trouble... Maybe got mixed up with the wrong people?
Maybe a work situation that she cannot handle?
Could she have bolted to Canada that Sunday night?
This would explain the oversized suitcase.

doubtful IMO...why would she miss her other booked flight back to LA. IMO, if she was planning to run away to Canada, she never would have booked that flight in the first place (or left her cats at home).

I have wondered about this myself.

It would be great if a local who has the lyft app could try an experiment and see if you can enter "hatch park" as your destination.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member