Found Deceased UT - MacKenzie "Kenzie" Lueck, 23, Salt Lake City, 17 June 2019 #5

Status
Not open for further replies.
@yellowmoose
Do you recall MacKenzie ever going away for a day or two, turning off her phone and being out of touch with friends and family. Just wondering if this is something she’s perhaps done in the past and just normal behavior for her to do so no one worried at first?

The phone being powered off (or went dead) just after she met the person at the park is really worrisome. Was she like most women her age, with her phone in hand and turned on most of the time?

Thank you for being here.

ML's dad called JC on Thursday, then JC went to check ML's apartment.
'I text her and call her still,' says friend of missing student Mackenzie Lueck
So sounds like her roommates aren't necessarily in her social circle. Might notice she hasn't been home but don't really know her well enough to be concerned about that?

I've had some roommates, when younger, who traveled a lot and I never bothered asking about their schedule as long as rent was paid on time, ykwim?

Maybe our VI has insights on this?

jmo

'I text her and call her still,' says friend of missing student Mackenzie Lueck
“I text her and call her still,” she said. “I check her location to see if it will pop up magically.”

This tells me that she possibly shares her location with friends via “find friends”. I’m sure they’ve been asked, but have you ever looked at her location and wondered, “why is she there?” Or noticed her being at a residence in NSL?

If I didn’t want my friends to know where I was, and knew I didn’t need my phone, I might turn it off because it’s faster than going to settings and turning location services off. BUT I agree, this fact of the phone powering down worries me more than what I just stated.

If Kenzie's "ride" was someone she met through her online connections, that person has to be freaking out right about now.

What do you do with her luggage, her purse, her backpack etc.? Do you hide all that stuff in your basement or do you get rid of it?

I think you get rid of it. So where?

Now we know what it looks like. Do you toss it in an industrial dumpster, put it out in your own garbage, throw it out the window into a ditch somewhere, throw it in water?

Gotta be on the lookout for that luggage. I think LE needs to be more aggressive on those last stills of Kenzie with her luggage and her clothes and really engage people to be looking and watching for those.

MOO
I can't help but wonder why the person she met in the park wouldn't just come forward now instead of waiting for LE to come to him / her for questioning? LE will eventually (I hope) find out who the person is by KL's social media and texting information. It seems like going to the police station on their own would make less of a scene than having LE come to them at their home or place of business. IF they had nothing to do with her going missing that is. ;)

I think (expect?!) that once LE cracks open her phone records, they will have a solid lead to follow.

The perp might have covered his online tracks. I think he was avoiding cameras for the pickup and that makes me think he had sinister plans from the start (not just a date gone horribly bad). If he's savvy enough to avoid cameras, he likely took precautions to be extra sneaky online too, imo

But LE will see through his tricks, I have a feeling.

That's my hope anyway!

jmo

I don’t just think this is hopeful, but realistic as well.

There is a connection here, and it’s going to be found in her digital footprint.

It’s a matter of when, as I see it.

Actually, I fell in love with it, from the first time I saw it in Google Maps. No dark secluded woodlands, no rushing river—just flat and plain—easy to believe that the police could check it and clear it. I’m loving it for all the reasons that it gives you the creeps. It brings clarity to the issue.

This earlier article also gave me comfort, and I stopped thinking of Hatch Park than anything other than a convenient location that ML was comfortable with.

Missing Utah college student last seen in a Salt Lake City park at 3 a.m.

She was dropped at just about 3 a.m. at the park in North Salt Lake that sits in a popular downtown area nestled between apartment complexes and restaurants. A police station is located up the street and the park is a popular spot for families and community events with two playgrounds, a basketball court, baseball diamond and a large, grassy field.

Police have no reason to doubt the Lyft driver's story and have cleared him as a suspect, Doubt said. The Lyft driver, whose identity has not been revealed, gave other rides after dropping off the woman, he said.

Lyft spokeswoman Lauren Alexander said the route the driver took contained no irregularities and ended at the address requested by Lueck.

Jacob Wood, who lives in the area, said he frequently brings his children to play in Hatch Park.

"It's a relatively safe neighborhood, there's no reason to believe it's not a safe area," he said Monday.

Is it possible that she had her phone in ‘Airplane Mode’ during the flight and just forgot to turn it back on? If she used her Lyft app after the flight, would she need have had the WIFI or LTE turned back on?

Another thought I’ve been having today is that how she is dressed does relate to some degree to this maybe NOT being a SD she was meeting up with.

I know many of you have stated this and when adding in the layers of presentation and expectation, it would seem less common that this would be a someone with that kind of standard/expectation she was meeting up with dressed how she was. I’m leaning more to some other type of acquaintance/date/friend.

We also still don’t know if the driver was male or female. I know we assume male but that’s still something bothering me (in MOO not from any expertise on that).

Also- a side note: thank you all for the feedback on your perspectives and areas of interest. Someone asked about SD specifics and now I have some new research questions I want to explore//called up a peer in the field to discuss his work a bit more in depth today. Always like learning! :)

FWIW, I'm close to Kenzie's age and travel on Southwest often, and even for short weekend trips I always take a checked bag because it's free and more convenient. You drop your bag off as soon as you get to the airport and then don't worry about it again until you land. You don't have to worry about lugging it around and putting it in the overhead bin, and you can obviously pack more stuff that you might end up needing.

I don't think the size of the bag indicates anything at all.

What MIGHT indicate something is the fact that her phone was turned off immediately upon getting in the car at Hatch Park, with LE implying that it was turned off before it ever left that location. IMO, that's pretty quick for someone to incapacitate Kenzie and/or forcibly take her phone and turn it off.

IMO, this might actually mean that Kenzie turned her phone off willingly for whatever reason -- a pre-arranged agreement of no phones? not wanting friends to see her phone's location in a prominent neighborhood? actually planning to escape reality for a bit?

I'm 99% sure this is wishful thinking on my part, but the phone news seems to be more indicative of a possible runaway situation than the suitcase size, IMO. Sadly, it could also mean that Kenzie didn't stand a chance once she got in that car.

MOO

MOO, but I travel frequently on business and will often turn my phone off and plug it into a charger once I reach my destination if the battery is getting low (and I don’t need it for navigation). Phones charge more quickly in Airplane mode and more quickly still when powered off.

And if her travel bag is also a Faraday cage, the signal blocking would mimic the phone being powered off, IMO.

Just a couple more non-nefarious reasons why ML’s phone may have gone dark on arrival. But it still doesn’t explain why the device hasn’t reconnected to the network since then. That, and the abandoned kitty are what’s most disconcerting to me. I hope the SW’s start yielding actionable info soon!

There will probably be a digital footprint to dig out, but I'm not sure they will get it with this encounter if the perp made every effort to cover his tracks.

But there may be past history that will narrow down the potential perps, based on location. ML was comfortable with this late night meeting.

It wasn't the first time they met up.

I can't help but wonder why the person she met in the park wouldn't just come forward now instead of waiting for LE to come to him / her for questioning? LE will eventually (I hope) find out who the person is by KL's social media and texting information. It seems like going to the police station on their own would make less of a scene than having LE come to them at their home or place of business. IF they had nothing to do with her going missing that is. ;)

Exactly! Chances that that person is also missing, as in nothing nefarious happened and they got stuck in the mountains or drove off a cliff or something accidental may have happened, it's been over a week and surely that person would have been reported missing as well by now. That person obviously is not also missing, I would think, which means they're just waiting it out.

So sounds like her roommates aren't necessarily in her social circle. Might notice she hasn't been home but don't really know her well enough to be concerned about that?

I've had some roommates, when younger, who traveled a lot and I never bothered asking about their schedule as long as rent was paid on time, ykwim?

Maybe our VI has insights on this?

jmo
That is what I'm thinking too. If her roommates worked with her or attended the same classes, they might have realized something was wrong much sooner, but it doesn't sound like either was the case. Wish we knew. MOO

Here's my thinking on this. I think given that one of Kenzie's parents lost their mother (not sure if it was maternal or paternal), that the stress of her disappearance on top of an already emotionally exhausting event is just too much for them to handle. Perhaps they are already uncomfortable with media, do not wish to expose themselves, and do not trust themselves to not be completely sobbing wrecks/messes on national media.

I agree with you. People are so quick to judge, but we don't know what is really going on other than what is reported or is on the internet. Some people actually do not like all the media attention. Their spokesperson specifically said that the SLPD would be their media representation. It's easy to say how we know we might react in the situation. I think we should respect their privacy.
I pray she is ok. I have kids her age. I can't imagine the worry and pain of not knowing where she is, then on top of all that, the whole world seeing every little detail of their lives. Pray for her and pray for the family.

MOO, but I travel frequently on business and will often turn my phone off and plug it into a charger once I reach my destination if the battery is getting low (and I don’t need it for navigation). Phones charge more quickly in Airplane mode and more quickly still when powered off.

And if her travel bag is also a Faraday cage, the signal blocking would mimic the phone being powered off, IMO.

Just a couple more non-nefarious reasons why ML’s phone may have gone dark on arrival. But it still doesn’t explain why the device hasn’t reconnected to the network since then. That, and the abandoned kitty are what’s most disconcerting to me. I hope the SW’s start yielding actionable info soon!

The BBM is a great point and something her friends might know and tell the police: @yellowmoose @tacostacostacos

? She was followed...recorded. How is that not accurate?

The Pinellas County Sheriff’s Office is setting the record straight about a viral Facebook video posted by a Dunedin woman who claimed she almost fell victim to human trafficking.

Sgt. Spencer Gross said the department has not seen an uptick in abductions, kidnapping or human trafficking.

"We do not believe people are hanging out in parking lots looking to snatch women," Gross said. "If we have people being abducted and kidnapped out of parking lots it would be a major investigation."

Knowles posted the video on Facebook just two days ago, [SEPTEMBER 17, 2018] but she told deputies the incident happened in August. She also never reported it. The Sheriff’s Office only knew about the incident after media inquiries.

A manager at the grocery store, Scott ONeill, said he wasn’t aware of the incident she described.

The Sheriff’s Office also said it hasn’t handled a case involving human trafficking in over a year.
Cops question viral video about human trafficking at Pinellas Publix

Emphases and date added by me.

Oh, also, she put in her FB post, "I can't believe this happened AGAIN to me". And admits she use the wrong word when she called it human trafficking.

SNOPES discredited her. Her post is still up though, along with multiple monologues she posts on FB. She's a promoter of some sort of energy drink.

There is no evidence that human trafficking is a part of this missing person case either, just as there's virtually never been any evidence of such in any case of middle class white women or girls who disappear, unless there's a history of drugs, significant mental illness, or serious family dysfunction, and the missing person ran away and/or became "voluntarily" homeless.

I feel ML has probably been harmed by someone she knew. Voluntary missing is lower on my list now due to the length of time, her cat and the purported FBI involvement.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member