NJ - Carolyn Byington, 26, killed inside her home, Plainsboro, 10 June 2019 *Arrest*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Would they have done so if you didn’t request? She wasn’t expecting a furniture delivery, at least we haven’t heard that she was.

But yes. A delivery could have been the draw home.

When I first read the neighbors hearing furniture moving I thought she was contacted by someone on Craigslist or FB Marketplace and perhaps they offered to drop a piece of furniture off for her and she went home to meet them. But I'm sure LE would have been able to figure this out and a furniture delivery if she lived on the second floor would have been noticed by neighbors.

When I first read the neighbors hearing furniture moving I thought she was contacted by someone on Craigslist or FB Marketplace and perhaps they offered to drop a piece of furniture off for her and she went home to meet them.
Good point and I think this possibility could well be worth pursuing.

Expanding this possibility further, could the victim of purchased a big piece of furniture from somebody, and then arranged via the internet for a third party to actually deliver the item?

I wonder if some vending sites also have lists of independent delivery contractors. Or, if there is a separate "Mov'in" site featuring delivery contractors? Such a contractor would not have a recognizable truck.

and a furniture delivery if she lived on the second floor would have been noticed by neighbors.
It might depend on how much furniture, what kind of furniture was involved and whether or not there was a formal delivery truck.

For example, a love seat, small to medium sized dressers (best to take the drawers out first) and some tables could probably be picked up or dropped off relatively quickly by a single male of average or above fitness.

Unless someone were in the stairwell, or in the doorway, neighbors might not notice such an individual. Perhaps he was in the process of picking up a sold item when he saw that the victim was attractive and alone?
But I'm sure LE would have been able to figure this out.
One would think, but at the same time, there might be a lot of 'Craigslist' type sites to go through. For example, the site 'Offer Up' has been associated with problems in my city. In addition, not all these sites may keep record of who contacted who, thus making possible contacts more difficult to trace back.

There is also the possibility of say, older detectives having varying degrees of knowledge and personal interaction regarding the vast and constantly changing on line / social media universe. Thus, they might not know of all sites or contact possibilities.

I think police departments need to have a designated officer(s) with in depth experience in the on line universe as "go to" references for certain cases. It would be even better if the FBI or state police offered courses regarding this universe to local officers with pre existing expertise.

Last edited:
All the delivery possibilities are surely viable options, as is the stalker from someone in her social or charitable circles. It still doesn't explain how they were able to lure her home that day at lunch time (if that is what happened) without leaving any trace of online or phone connection. Nor why the neighbors saw her arrive that day when she came home at lunchtime and never saw anyone else, coming or going. A delivery truck would be noticed I'd think, but perhaps not mentioned by LE. They are not so forthcoming with any information, as we know. All we can do is hypothesize, speculate and wonder with the lack of coverage this case is providing. JMO

Well with closing in on a month as someone said, I find it hard to believe. I think back to the beginning and I predicted this one would be solved in short order and a suspect arrested based on the boldness, the broad daylight, big complex (which at the time I assumed had at least a few cameras), assumption of DNA in a small apartment and up close personal attack, and more.

While I know as far as some cases go a month is probably not a long time and we expect things to be solved these days in a NY minute, but for all intents and purposes, they seem to have nothing, nothing they can reassure the community with, nothing they can share, no arrests, etc.

We also know not one thing more from LE than we ever did nor do the residents the way it sounds.

Frustrating. I was so sure they would have this perp by now. Maybe there is more going on behind the scenes but it sure the h*** does not seem like it.

Jmo.

This post lands at random.

Generalized bashing and/or name-calling of law enforcement is not allowed at Websleuths.

If there is something specific within a case that warrants discussion/questioning how LE is handling the case, you may discuss it.

Generalize, label them, use derogatory terms, slag them and paint them all with the same brush and your post will be removed and you may face a loss of posting privileges.

Well with closing in on a month as someone said, I find it hard to believe. I think back to the beginning and I predicted this one would be solved in short order and a suspect arrested based on the boldness, the broad daylight, big complex (which at the time I assumed had at least a few cameras), assumption of DNA in a small apartment and up close personal attack, and more.

While I know as far as some cases go a month is probably not a long time and we expect things to be solved these days in a NY minute, but for all intents and purposes, they seem to have nothing, nothing they can reassure the community with, nothing they can share, no arrests, etc.

We also know not one thing more from LE than we ever did nor do the residents the way it sounds.

Frustrating. I was so sure they would have this perp by now. Maybe there is more going on behind the scenes but it sure the h*** does not seem like it.

Jmo.

That's the worst part and makes it feel like there isn't any progress. If they could narrow things down a bit more or show signs they are closing in on something it would help take the edge off a bit. Has anyone heard back from their inquiries to the leasing office or local LE?

That's the worst part and makes it feel like there isn't any progress. If they could narrow things down a bit more or show signs they are closing in on something it would help take the edge off a bit. Has anyone heard back from their inquiries to the leasing office or local LE?

I have wondered the same. I am not from the area or even the state but I myself have thought of calling and asking if there are any updates and when one can be expected even if they do not have much to share and believe me when I say, I have never been tempted to do that in any case.

Everyone here has done a great job of trying to keep interest alive in this case even though I think it is difficult with no information and nothing new to discuss. I did a search yesterday hoping for some new article or information and nada.

I have even been hoping since it has been basically a "holiday" week that maybe tomorrow we will be surprised and hear of an arrest, although I am not holding my breath and am probably just dreaming :) It is closing on a month though and maybe results they have been awaiting will come in, I hope and assume they have fingerprints and DNA. One does not often hear of fingerprints so much anymore, we all talk DNA but unless this was planned and the perp wore gloves, I would think there would be a good chance of prints. Of course, it very well could have been planned :( If it was planned, it seems like a high risk plan for location and time of day though.

The suggestion above of getting a reporter involved is a good one. Do the local or area papers ask for updates or do they just wait until something happens and/or a press release and then print it, I am unsure of the usual practice.

I will continue to come here hoping to hear of an arrest. And contribute what I can to keep the interest alive even if it means repeating thoughts I have already had and stated before lol.

Local people and those familiar with the area have added much or there would be basically nothing to talk about. It is appreciated.

Jmo.

Though clearly possible, I think this scenario is less likely for the following reasons:

- The victim was apparently responsible, career oriented and upwardly mobile. Such people are less likely to schedule non work activities such as dates during work and also less likely to make impulsive decisions that they "need" to leave work to full fill.

- The victim is a young female. On average and by nature, females are less likely to attempt casual uhmm…."encounters" than males (despite what hook up sites promise- some even use 'fembots' to keep paying and hopeful males reeled in). Also, the victim was young and could well of been receiving male attention with out the need to use 'hook up' sites.

In short, the victims age and gender seem to statistically reduce the odds of this scenario. If the victim were male and upper middle aged, then I think the odds of a lured home by the promise of a steamy and sudden encounter scenario could well go up.
I was just wondering if she possibly could have been catfished on a dating site or anything like that - thinking she was connecting with a legitimate person on an app who lured her home, but it was someone with evil intentions. It seems very unlikely that she would go home at lunch to meet a stranger for the first time though. The only reason I wondered about if it was someone on a dating app is that it's so easy for people to create false accounts and personas and not leave much trail.

I would think police must have some information or digital trail or some clue at all on what could have possibly enticed her to go home at lunch that day. It seems like they are purposely not releasing info. And nothing has come out from her family or friends either begging for answers. Or her coworkers on what her mood was like when she left that day - was she smiling/excited/happy... anxious.... annoyed/irked... secretive... worried... stressed... did she give any explanation to anyone why she was going home for lunch? Everyone is so quiet and silent. I'm sure they know very little or have been advised to not comment or give details. Very strange case.

I was just wondering if she possibly could have been catfished on a dating site or anything like that - thinking she was connecting with a legitimate person on an app who lured her home, but it was someone with evil intentions. It seems very unlikely that she would go home at lunch to meet a stranger for the first time though. The only reason I wondered about if it was someone on a dating app is that it's so easy for people to create false accounts and personas and not leave much trail.

I would think police must have some information or digital trail or some clue at all on what could have possibly enticed her to go home at lunch that day. It seems like they are purposely not releasing info. And nothing has come out from her family or friends either begging for answers. Or her coworkers on what her mood was like when she left that day - was she smiling/excited/happy... anxious.... annoyed/irked... secretive... worried... stressed... did she give any explanation to anyone why she was going home for lunch? Everyone is so quiet and silent. I'm sure they know very little or have been advised to not comment or give details. Very strange case.

Very quiet, very strange, I hope it means something is known so no reason for LE or family to call on the public for what they have seen or may have seen?

Jmo.

I was just wondering if she possibly could have been catfished on a dating site or anything like that - thinking she was connecting with a legitimate person on an app who lured her home, but it was someone with evil intentions. It seems very unlikely that she would go home at lunch to meet a stranger for the first time though.

I agree that it is unlikely that she would go home at lunch to meet a first date at her home.

In addition, from a male perspective the victim was young, attractive, and well poised socially through work and volunteering. I just cant see her wasting a lot of time on the hasty dating sites in a quest for male attention where fake profiles and 'catfishing' are problematic. If she was using a dating site, my bet is that it would have been a more established one that takes steps to reduce phonies and has traceable referrals.

In regards to electronic socializing, however, I could see her using the "Meet Up" site to find casual friends with her interests and to explore new interests. Maybe a casual friend from a 'Meet Up' event contacted her needing assistance regarding an "emergency"?

Likewise, perhaps she met the predator the olde fashioned way- face to face. I wonder what her volunteer activity was directed towards. Did she have contact with 'at risk youth' types? Or, maybe an upper middle aged volunteer got obsessed with her, then called her about a sudden "emergency"?

Last edited:
Like many of you, this case has hit very close to home for me but for a different reason. I live in PA but have a young daughter who just graduated from a school very similar to Lafayette and she started a job in Princeton and just moved into an apartment complex in the Princeton area just a few weeks before Carolyn's tragic murder. She is living alone like Carolyn and this case has me on edge and checking each day for information which is how I found this site.

As a mom of 2 daughters and one who has many similarities to Carolyn, my heart breaks for Carolyn’s family. Every family handles grief differently but I believe that the silence from family and friends is an indication that those closest to Carolyn may know more than the general public and are quiet for a reason we don’t understand.

I agree that it is unlikely that she would go home at lunch to meet a first date at her home.

In addition, from a male perspective the victim was young, attractive, and well poised socially through work and volunteering. I just cant see her wasting a lot of time on the hasty dating sites in a quest for male attention where fake profiles and 'catfishing' are problematic. If she was using a dating site, my bet is that it would have been a more established one that takes steps to reduce phonies and has traceable referrals.

In regards to electronic socializing, however, I could see her using the "Meet Up" site to find casual friends with her interests and to explore new interests. Maybe a casual friend from a 'Meet Up' event contacted her needing assistance regarding an "emergency"?

Likewise, perhaps she met the predator the olde fashioned way- face to face. I wonder what her volunteer activity was directed towards. Did she have contact with 'at risk youth' types? Or, maybe an upper middle aged volunteer got obsessed with her, then called her about a sudden "emergency"?

All kinds of people use dating apps like tinder. Many of my successful, beautiful, girl friends have used tinder to meet guys, and we even lived in the city in NJ with the most bars per square mile, so there was no shortage of socialization. Tinder came out when I was already dating my now-husband, but maybe I would have used it too, and I was a very successful young woman. It’s just the way times are now. Jmo

All kinds of people use dating apps like tinder. Many of my successful, beautiful, girl friends have used tinder to meet guys, and we even lived in the city in NJ with the most bars per square mile, so there was no shortage of socialization. Tinder came out when I was already dating my now-husband, but maybe I would have used it too, and I was a very successful young woman. It’s just the way times are now. Jmo
My view of the Tinder clientel was based on some people I knew used it and who well, might not have the most options regarding dating possibilities.

I will, however, stand corrected.

Last edited:
My view of the Tinder clientel was based on some people I knew used it and well, might not have the most options regarding dating possibilities.

I will, however, stand corrected.

I think that's with any dating site/app. There are always going to be less than desirable candidates on dating sites/apps, that doesn't mean that educated, successful, and attractive people aren't on there as well. One of my (successful and attractive) girl friends just married her (successful and attractive) husband that she met on Tinder. Shrug.

I think that's with any dating site/app. There are always going to be less than desirable candidates on dating sites/apps, that doesn't mean that educated, successful, and attractive people aren't on there as well. One of my (successful and attractive) girl friends just married her (successful and attractive) husband that she met on Tinder. Shrug.
It might also depend on local perceptions of the site. This could lead to different average users in different markets and thus Tinder can have very different reputations from area to area. This especially could be so in the more avant guard big cities on the coasts where electronic dating has been acceptable for a longer period of time.

In my city, I mentioned 'Tinder' once to a single co-worker who uses dating sites. She told me that she would never use the site as a female because of its bad reputation (well, at least locally). This bad local reputation was then confirmed by another female friend who described an endless series of men with obvious fake profiles, or were "encounter cruisers", and in one case was sixteen years old before she left.

Then factor in a male Tinder user I once knew- an over all OK guy but known to well, take a few years off his age while boosting his salary and I extrapolated Tinder locally to Tinder nationally.

Like many of you, this case has hit very close to home for me but for a different reason. I live in PA but have a young daughter who just graduated from a school very similar to Lafayette and she started a job in Princeton and just moved into an apartment complex in the Princeton area just a few weeks before Carolyn's tragic murder. She is living alone like Carolyn and this case has me on edge and checking each day for information which is how I found this site.

As a mom of 2 daughters and one who has many similarities to Carolyn, my heart breaks for Carolyn’s family. Every family handles grief differently but I believe that the silence from family and friends is an indication that those closest to Carolyn may know more than the general public and are quiet for a reason we don’t understand.

Welcome to the site. I'm sure you are very nervous with your daughter living in the area and all. Glad you found the site to perhaps find some support or more info. I do agree with you that family might be being very quiet because they have more of an idea from the police who did this. I do believe that is one of the reasons for all the silence around this case.

On another note, my SIL and her husband who are in NYPD will offer no help, unfortunately. I'm told if they were detectives they could more easily contact LE in another state and perhaps ask. But I also think they figure I would tell others what was found out, if anything. So best they keep out of it. Was hoping for some answers for residents/people concerned for others living there.
I just hope this is the week they have a suspect, or at the least update the public on their progress.

Local LE stated early on (several previously posted MSM articles) that there would be no more comments from them. They have been true to their word, that's for sure. If there (ever) is an arrest, then maybe that info will be given. I expect it would as it would be "positive" news. So until we hear of a POI or more likely of an arrest, I'm assuming they have nothing. Otherwise that info would be out there.

JMO and frustrating that this case is a month old and no one has been implicated, no motive, etc. I too though it was going to be an easy solve. Again JMO.

Welcome to Webseluths @GraceRose. Your concern is understood.

This is the most difficult part of not having any answers. The uncertainty and fear of the unknown. As others have stated for the most part this has been an extremely safe area for so long that this really shocks the community. The best thing your daughter can do is to be vigilant and aware and smart about her surroundings at all times. I'm originally from New York and there are definitely certain liberties and comforts people take once they move to areas like Plainsboro or Princeton that they would never do in an urban area like NYC or even Trenton. I used to think my girlfriend was crazy for how paranoid she was about making sure the chain was on the door or having the blinds drawn after certain hours of the day but these types of precautions can help save your life.

I know a lot of people are optimistic that the silence is a good sign but I'm starting to feel like this case is going cold. I feel like the answers to this case aren't as obvious as they should be and that local LE is stumped which is why they brought in Federal LE. If it was anything other than that I don't think they would put out public statements saying that they don't have any suspects or leads and are asking for any help or information.

@DMA19 I agree about the differences in precautions people take based on where they live and their upbringing.

A little O/T ... I live in one of the top five biggest cities in the US, but grew up in the burbs. I was held up at gunpoint the night before I started law school (in the big city). I was CB's age. After demanding my purse/money, the guy tried to make me get in the car with him. I ran, screaming and crying. He ran away instead of shooting. Point is, now I am straight up rude to strangers on the street. I make eye contact with everyone but never feel that I have to be polite to strangers that approach me. I always lock my doors, make note of suspicious cars that circle the block, etc. Before being held up, I did zero of these things. Sometimes it takes a scary experience to make you more careful.

But back to this case, CB wasn't attacked by a stranger on the street. She was attacked in her home. Her safe place. That's what disturbs me so much about it. The Lauren Giddings case brought me to WS and it reminds me of this case, except here at least we have CB's body. I keep going back to it being a stalker type person who was able to watch CB and her routine and scope out the apartment complex. The being "drawn" home is the most perplexing and probably most important piece to the puzzle.

This is the most difficult part of not having any answers. The uncertainty and fear of the unknown. As others have stated for the most part this has been an extremely safe area for so long that this really shocks the community. The best thing your daughter can do is to be vigilant and aware and smart about her surroundings at all times. I'm originally from New York and there are definitely certain liberties and comforts people take once they move to areas like Plainsboro or Princeton that they would never do in an urban area like NYC or even Trenton. I used to think my girlfriend was crazy for how paranoid she was about making sure the chain was on the door or having the blinds drawn after certain hours of the day but these types of precautions can help save your life.

I know a lot of people are optimistic that the silence is a good sign but I'm starting to feel like this case is going cold. I feel like the answers to this case aren't as obvious as they should be and that local LE is stumped which is why they brought in Federal LE. If it was anything other than that I don't think they would put out public statements saying that they don't have any suspects or leads and are asking for any help or information.

I can identify with you in that I try to see the silence as a good sign, try to be optimistic and believe it, but I truly do not believe it. I have that problem in every case that goes quiet, I wonder if they have anything or are working on it, and this one did not even go quiet, it has been quiet from the very start.

I though try to tell myself the family is not on media demanding answers nor asking for people to come forward with information so maybe there is a good idea of who did it but who knows...

However, the community also I feel deserves some contact and even if information cannot be provided due to an investigation, a reassurance, a community contact, etc. if only to reassure it is being worked on can go further than they realize in just letting the community know that, it for sure would not hurt. I am not from the community, the state, nor even an adjoining state and yet I feel that way.

Jmo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member