NJ - Carolyn Byington, 26, killed inside her home, Plainsboro, 10 June 2019 *Arrest*

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the most difficult part of not having any answers. The uncertainty and fear of the unknown. As others have stated for the most part this has been an extremely safe area for so long that this really shocks the community. The best thing your daughter can do is to be vigilant and aware and smart about her surroundings at all times. I'm originally from New York and there are definitely certain liberties and comforts people take once they move to areas like Plainsboro or Princeton that they would never do in an urban area like NYC or even Trenton. I used to think my girlfriend was crazy for how paranoid she was about making sure the chain was on the door or having the blinds drawn after certain hours of the day but these types of precautions can help save your life.

I know a lot of people are optimistic that the silence is a good sign but I'm starting to feel like this case is going cold. I feel like the answers to this case aren't as obvious as they should be and that local LE is stumped which is why they brought in Federal LE. If it was anything other than that I don't think they would put out public statements saying that they don't have any suspects or leads and are asking for any help or information.

Thank you, we've talked to my daughter about being extra vigilant and walked thru various scenarios of how to handle a possible threat to her safety. We have increased communication (mostly texting) to be sure she is ok and I went to her apartment to be with her during a recent furniture delivery. I have to believe that if this was a random act of violence and the public was at risk, LE would be m
This is the most difficult part of not having any answers. The uncertainty and fear of the unknown. As others have stated for the most part this has been an extremely safe area for so long that this really shocks the community. The best thing your daughter can do is to be vigilant and aware and smart about her surroundings at all times. I'm originally from New York and there are definitely certain liberties and comforts people take once they move to areas like Plainsboro or Princeton that they would never do in an urban area like NYC or even Trenton. I used to think my girlfriend was crazy for how paranoid she was about making sure the chain was on the door or having the blinds drawn after certain hours of the day but these types of precautions can help save your life.

I know a lot of people are optimistic that the silence is a good sign but I'm starting to feel like this case is going cold. I feel like the answers to this case aren't as obvious as they should be and that local LE is stumped which is why they brought in Federal LE. If it was anything other than that I don't think they would put out public statements saying that they don't have any suspects or leads and are asking for any help or information.

Thank you for your advice. We've talked to my daughter about being extra vigilant and walked thru various scenarios of how to handle a possible threat to her safety. We have increased communication (mostly texting) to be sure she is ok and I went to her apartment to be with her during a furniture delivery a few weeks ago. I have to believe that if this was a random act of violence where there was an increased risk of the murderer acting again, LE would be more vocal… but reading your post and others makes me question that logic. So vigilance and looking out for each other is all the more important.

Thank you for your advice. We've talked to my daughter about being extra vigilant and walked thru various scenarios of how to handle a possible threat to her safety. We have increased communication (mostly texting) to be sure she is ok and I went to her apartment to be with her during a furniture delivery a few weeks ago. I have to believe that if this was a random act of violence where there was an increased risk of the murderer acting again, LE would be more vocal… but reading your post and others makes me question that logic. So vigilance and looking out for each other is all the more important.

i agree I feel like it's up to us to look out for each other. I feel very strongly that something like this shouldn't happen in this type of community. I'm sure her neighbors who were home feel some level of guilt over not being able to help her or provide more information but you never know how you will act in this situation until you're in it. You also don't want to be that person who over reacts and has the cops called on a neighbor who was watching a scary movie or having a non violent argument with a significant other. Because of how transient the apartment complex is it's very difficult to establish that sense of community here but we all need to be more vigilant in looking out for each other.

On a slightly unrelated note I had a friend who was killed in a hit and run by a drunk driver. It took almost 2 months but they just caught the person and are starting the court process so sometimes it does take awhile but there's still hope that Carolyn can get justice.

i agree I feel like it's up to us to look out for each other. I feel very strongly that something like this shouldn't happen in this type of community. I'm sure her neighbors who were home feel some level of guilt over not being able to help her or provide more information but you never know how you will act in this situation until you're in it. You also don't want to be that person who over reacts and has the cops called on a neighbor who was watching a scary movie or having a non violent argument with a significant other. Because of how transient the apartment complex is it's very difficult to establish that sense of community here but we all need to be more vigilant in looking out for each other.

On a slightly unrelated note I had a friend who was killed in a hit and run by a drunk driver. It took almost 2 months but they just caught the person and are starting the court process so sometimes it does take awhile but there's still hope that Carolyn can get justice.

It is hard to know when to call. If one is wrong and the neighbors take you as a busybody, you still have to live next to them and it can be awkward if you call them in on something you were wrong about and bring the cops to their door. If one can tell though that something is physical, however, I would hope people would put that thought aside and call regardless.

I tell myself too that a month is not a long time, it truly isn't in some cases and with some small departments I suppose. I personally know of a case where they knew who did it, what they likely did but it was seven or eight months just waiting for certain autopsy results and only then did an arrest result This is in a different state but the department sends such things out in murder investigations (murders are not common there either and they are few) and the autopsy or testing waits in line with those from other departments who are using the same expert coroner/lab/etc. There is no putting a rush on it.

We see in some of the ones that get national attention where the results seem instant. I guess maybe in big cities in other states they have their own resources/labs/etc. but it is not always the case.

I am not sure how your area is or how they do it nor how long it takes. We can hope that is what the delay is at least--or they simply have nothing and it matches no one :(

Jmo.

I just looked at Caitlin’s Facebook page. (Carolyn’s sister). She deleted the post she wrote a couple weeks ago about missing her sister. I wonder why. Any thoughts.?

After I posted, I realized she probably changed the setting from public to private.

I have a question, are we able to delete a post here?

After I posted, I realized she probably changed the setting from public to private.

I have a question, are we able to delete a post here?

We can’t completely delete a post, but for up to an hour after we post, we can edit it. You have to leave a placeholder in the text—often people type ‘dbm’ or ‘deleted by me.’

In this case, I’d suggest that you not bother. It was a valid question, and peoples’ responses might well be educational to other people. (Note that when you delete the content of a post, that content remains if other people have quoted you in their replies.)

Can I ask you @MissyMom about things like laundry facilities, a gym, etc.? Do they exist, are they in separate buildings, etc.? I know there is a pool. Are mailboxes and garbage inside each building or outside (I have seen both ways in different complexes). I am just wondering even though it is said she kept to herself whether she utilized things like this, all of us have to do laundry somewhere for instance, pick up our mail, empty our garbage.

Naturally, I am thinking of how someone may have become more aware of her or had interaction with her, not that it still explains her coming home that Monday and/or finding someone in her apartment.

Jmo.

Can I ask you @MissyMom about things like laundry facilities, a gym, etc.? Do they exist, are they in separate buildings, etc.? I know there is a pool. Are mailboxes and garbage inside each building or outside (I have seen both ways in different complexes). I am just wondering even though it is said she kept to herself whether she utilized things like this, all of us have to do laundry somewhere for instance, pick up our mail, empty our garbage.

Naturally, I am thinking of how someone may have become more aware of her or had interaction with her, not that it still explains her coming home that Monday and/or finding someone in her apartment.

Jmo.

Some units have washer and dryer inside the apartment there are several laundry rooms around the complex for those apartments that don't. The mail boxes are outside of the apartments and separated by buildings so building 100 will have a mailbox for it's residents etc. There are two pools I think not sure since I never use them Missymom can confirm. I know there is one by the leasing office. Garbage/ Recycling bins are also located out in the parking lots.

Some units have washer and dryer inside the apartment there are several laundry rooms around the complex for those apartments that don't. The mail boxes are outside of the apartments and separated by buildings so building 100 will have a mailbox for it's residents etc. There are two pools I think not sure since I never use them Missymom can confirm. I know there is one by the leasing office. Garbage/ Recycling bins are also located out in the parking lots.

Thank you, appreciate the answers! I could have looked for them (not sure if I would have found them all) but would rather keep the thread active so I asked.

There are three pools. No gym. There is also a park next to the leasing office. A lot of people go there and walk around the track. There is also a golf course that borders many of the apartments. Carolyn’s building is one building over by the golf course and by one of the pools.

I recall seeing two pools when I walked through the development. One on each side of the main road. I wrote to the mayor & asked if they could share more info. That there’s concern that we haven’t been told much & a murderer may be in the area. I also said that there’s more we can do as a community to prevent something like this from happening again & shared some ideas.

I recall seeing two pools when I walked through the development. One on each side of the main road. I wrote to the mayor & asked if they could share more info. That there’s concern that we haven’t been told much & a murderer may be in the area. I also said that there’s more we can do as a community to prevent something like this from happening again & shared some ideas.
There are 3 pools.

There are three pools. No gym. There is also a park next to the leasing office. A lot of people go there and walk around the track. There is also a golf course that borders many of the apartments. Carolyn’s building is one building over by the golf course and by one of the pools.
I asked a neighbor who works part-time at the golf course what, if anything, they are saying. He hadn’t been there yet. I will try to follow up. I was wondering if Carolyn had been a golfer there & maybe a connection was made.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rodrickheffley