Found Deceased UT - MacKenzie "Kenzie" Lueck, 23, Salt Lake City, 17 June 2019 #16 *ARREST*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Police searching for Mackenzie Lueck converge on Salt Lake home

Here's the photos of the garage I was looking for - it looks like a car could fit in there? and I think someone posted upthread there is a back door to the garage? I'm still of the opinion he knocked her out in the car - if she had any clue he was going to hurt her, I would think she would have fought to make him swerve the car or something, anything rather than be taken to that location IMO.
I don't think there was room for a car in that garage. There are some other photos that made that clearer to me. Also, I think there's a possibility that she was transported from the park in the trunk of his car. MOO

Last edited:
My understanding was that AA was interviewed on the day his house was searched, not before. This news story mentions him being interviewed and released that day. If anyone has information that he was interviewed or contacted by police prior to the search warrant being served I (and others) would be interested in seeing it in order to tie this timeline together.

I can’t imagine that it was on the same day.

The Chief went on Fox News to say that they had located the last person she texted, and that this person was cooperating.

Within a few hours of that statement, law enforcement executed that search warrant.

It takes time to draw up search warrants, so I think it’s reasonable to assume that the interview occurred prior to the day of the search.

Last known person texting with missing Utah student Mackenzie Lueck is cooperating with investigation: police

https://www.google.com/amp/s/nypost...-home-with-nexus-to-mackenzie-lueck-case/amp/

Yes, there are many disgusting human beings here ,but the truth is he got $30,000 to get a free education as a foreign student here. BUT , he lied and lied and never fulfilled his student commitment. He obviously wasn’t the type of individual in good standing that deserved this privilege.
He should have been tracked and made sure he was a full time student and in good standing .He was even caught stealing an ipad on campus and banned from USU!The school should have reported him then instead of turning a blind eye.
There are many foreign individuals who deserve to get education and become wonderful contributing citizens.
With this guy it was apparent early on that he was a liar and criminal and was NOT fulfilling his student visa requirements.
It’s obviously always a case by case situation and this is a perfect example of a person who slipped through the cracks early on but should have been sent back to his country . ML (and possibly others) would still be alive. IMO
I would have gladly welcomed 30 grand towards my education. Are system is so messed up! Pick which system...your choice. Now the legal system can not let us down. He should never be allowed free never. Hey just want to tell everyone about a case that happened 3 years ago this month in Ohio. Sierah Joughin was brutally killed. The Oxygen Network will have a program July 15 8 pm est

Salt Lake DA files charges against MacKenzie Lueck's alleged killer

Ajayi's first initial appearance is scheduled for July 15 at 10 a.m.

eta locations

Lueck's DNA and some of her personal belongings were found in Ajayi's backyard. Neighbors told police he had been burning things on Monday, June 17 and it smelled "horrible," court documents state. The fire was located behind Ajayi's garage--the same place detectives found the freshly dug site with Lueck's belongings.

In an alleyway adjacent to Ajayi's home, investigators found charred black fabric, buckles and other items of value that belonged to Lueck.

Noting gas can purchase:

Ajayi had purchased a similar gas can on June 25 between 2:30 p.m. and 4:30 p.m., court documents state.

ETA: I think that article must be wrong. This sounds more accurate:

Suspect assaulted Utah student Mackenzie Lueck, then burned her body, charges say
Police say further investigation revealed that Ajayi had purchased a gas can at a nearby store at 9 a.m. on June 17, just six hours after picking up Lueck. That gas can was found in the trunk of Ajayi's car, according to police.

Last edited:
Just read an article about the PC.
I just can't. I can't find any words. :mad:

Well said, or actually unsaid....there are no words after that. I extended love to yellowmoose, the only known verified friend of Kenzie’s on here that I am aware, other than that...right now feels much like a time of silence and meditation-

Thanks @kodi for finding my lack of words....” I just can’t “. (Let me know when there’s an emoji for this empty, sick, sad, disgusted and sorrowful feeling...) pulling covers back over head with dog because ...I just can’t...Kenzie, sweet Kenzie, dear Kenzie...rest your lovely soul heavenly angel....

Mackenzie Lueck's alleged killer is formally charged as prosecutors reveal more crime scene details
The man accused of killing Mackenzie Lueck was formally charged Wednesday as prosecutors revealed during an emotional press conference that the University of Utah student was found dead with her arms bound behind her back "by a zip tie and rope" and that she had a 2-inch hole in her skull.

[...]

“Mackenzie’s arms were bound behind her back by a zip tie and rope," Gill said. "A five-centimeter hole was located on the left side of her skull with part of her left scalp missing.”

[...]

Gill told reporters Wednesday that a medical examiner determined she “suffered blunt force trauma to the left side of her skull resulting in significant intracranial hemorrhaging which would have been fatal."

A search of Ajayi’s home before his recent arrest uncovered a human bone, charred muscle tissue and part of a scalp with hair on it, Gill said.

Investigators reportedly later traced Ajayi’s cell phone to the area in Logan Canyon where her body was discovered.

"After a lengthy search, detectives located a disturbed area of soil under a grove of trees," Gill said. "Under the soil, detectives located a charred human body."

[...]

"This case is far from over," Gill said.
Far from over. Obviously, much more info to come.

I don't think there was room for a car in there. There are some other photos that made that clearer to me. Also, I think there's a possibility that she was transported from the park in the trunk of his car. MOO
The trunk - now what if he got out of the car, and she was putting her luggage in - and he hit her and put her in the trunk and zip tied her right there? Pretty brazen but he probably scouted out the park before - and I do believe he is arrogant - quite possible scenario IMO. One I had not considered before.

My understanding was that AA was interviewed on the day his house was searched, not before. This news story mentions him being interviewed and released that day. If anyone has information that he was interviewed or contacted by police prior to the search warrant being served I (and others) would be interested in seeing it in order to tie this timeline together.
He was interviewed before that about the texting, I'm pretty sure. It was very shortly after the PC when LE inquired about him. There was a long time between then and the night they searched his house.

It seemed to me that a few days went by before we learned that he was a suspect.
At least it seemed like we talked about him for days, wondering who he was or if he knew anything, and whether or not he came forward on his own or LE found him. Imo

eta locations

Lueck's DNA and some of her personal belongings were found in Ajayi's backyard. Neighbors told police he had been burning things on Monday, June 17 and it smelled "horrible," court documents state. The fire was located behind Ajayi's garage--the same place detectives found the freshly dug site with Lueck's belongings.

In an alleyway adjacent to Ajayi's home, investigators found charred black fabric, buckles and other items of value that belonged to Lueck.

Also noting that Monday is AA's Initial Appearance, NOT Arraignment.

Miscellaneous thoughts:

- I’m so sorry, Mackenzie. I really hope you were knocked unconscious immediately and did not knowingly suffer (yes, I realize zip ties suggest otherwise)

- What on Earth is at play in someone becoming such a monster?

- Thank goodness that the extreme in his evilness was not matched in his ability to carry out such a horrific crime undetected. His evilness and slyness were out of balance. So glad this meant he could he caught fairly swiftly. I still worry about the evil doers out there who are more intelligent/informed/calculated in pulling off such horrors and have a greater chance of getting away with it.

- I need to look back at timeline, but was surprised to hear he took ML’s body to canyon at the late date of June 25 (per presser)

- her last text to him was at 2:58. Phone powered down at 2:59. This is a very small window.

- I feel sick hearing about this update. I feel absolutely horribly for ML’s friends and family. If we all feel sick with this news about a stranger, imagine it being about a loved one. :(

Noting gas can purchase:

When police searched his vehicle, they smelled a strong odor of gasoline emitting from the trunk and discovered a red gasoline, court documents state.

Ajayi had purchased a similar gas can on June 25 between 2:30 p.m. and 4:30 p.m., court documents state.

Huh? The fires were on the 17th and 18th, right?

Noting gas can purchase:

When police searched his vehicle, they smelled a strong odor of gasoline emitting from the trunk and discovered a red gasoline, court documents state.

I saw that detail and wondered why did he purchase another one? Was he going to start another fire in the canyon?

Wasn't it mentioned the day before they served a warrant on his home that they were speaking to the last person who communicated with her (which ended up to be him)?

What I would surmise is he attempted to burn the body, buried it. And then when the cops got ML's phone records and contacted him, he panicked after speaking with him, dug her remains up, and then went to Logan Canyon.

6/25 - SLCPD speaks to AJ as he is the last known person to communicate with her
6/25 - AJ travels to Logan Canyon as indicated by today's presser
6/26 - SLCPD serves warrant on AJ's house and his car, discovers remains.

thoughts?

And I haven’t caught up so ignore if already discussed...

Venmo showed a payment to Atty on the 25th. Would be interesting to know what was discussed.

I would think that requests in a fresh homicide mandate an IMMEDIATE response from cell tower user/cell provider.

Police should not be allowed to just get phone records of anyone without a judge okaying it, iMO. If that were to happen, we'd be back to juries being led to forego a conviction due to police "manipulating" evidence. Nope.

A warrant is needed, it's a good thing, and that's the way it should stay. It did not take long to get the search warrants. I think the police knew she was likely already dead. The neighbors reporting fires on the morning after her disappearance would have been a big tip-off. I think the whole neighborhood knew. I mean, seriously, what would you think if the police came to a neighbor's house looking for a missing woman and you knew they'd had a burn pit the day after she went missing? It was a big story.

To keep safe, people can leave their cell pins with a trusted person...which gives immediate access. Buddy system is the best protection.

Repost from thread #15

Here's a timeline of the events leading up to and after MacKenzie Lueck's disappearance:

Monday, June 17

Lueck texted her parents at 1 a.m. to say her plane had arrived safely at the Salt Lake City International Airport. Instead of going home, Lueck took a Lyft to Hatch Park in North Salt Lake. She was last seen in the early hours of the morning near the residence [Park drop off location].

The driver went on to pick up other riders that night, according to a statement by the company.

Between June 17 and June 20

Lueck missed her mid-term exam at the University of Utah.

Thursday, June 20

The 23-year-old was reported missing to the Salt Lake City Police Department.

Saturday, June 22

Police said they were concerned for Lueck's safety, but claimed they had no evidence to indicate that the woman has been harmed or is in danger. Both Lyft and the driver are cooperating with the investigation, police said.

Lueck's family shared this statement about the search:

"Our primary goal is to find and bring her home. Her family is grateful for the concern, prayers and the tireless efforts of the Salt Lake City Police and members of the community."

Friends and family continued to search for Lueck.

Juliana Cauley told CBS News that "it's not like her to go off the grid, and if she did, then she would tell me. I would do anything to get her back. And honestly, I would trade places with her in a heartbeat just to know she's safe."

Sunday, June 23

Lueck didn't board her return flight home to California.

Monday, June 24

The search for and investigation into Lueck's disappearance continued.

2News Reporter Cristina Flores spoke to Sgt. Brandon Shearer with the Salt Lake City Police Department about Lueck's disappearance.

Shearer said over the weekend and on Monday, officers searched several places in North Salt Lake--the last place where Lueck was seen. They are also knocking on doors to rule out if anyone near Hatch Park had contact with Lueck, Assistant Chief Tim Doubt with SLCPD said. Police are in the process of checking social media and writing search warrants.

"An adult has the right to not be found, but the longer this investigation goes on and she is missing this obviously increases the possible threat to her and the possibility that she is somewhere she doesn't want to be," Shearer said.

They don't believe she was there for long or stayed at Hatch Park.

The University of Utah released a statement about the senior attending its institution. It reads as follows:

"The University of Utah is deeply concerned about the well-being of Mackenzie “Kenzie” Lueck and her family. The university is cooperating with the Salt Lake City Police Department, which is investigating her disappearance. Mackenzie is enrolled part-time as a senior at the U, and is majoring in kinesiology and pre-nursing and minoring in health. She has been enrolled at the U since fall 2014. Because of privacy laws that protect Mackenzie’s personal information, the university cannot provide further details. The university’s dean of students has spoken with Mackenzie’s family to offer support and to express the campus community’s shared hope for her safe return. The dean’s office is also talking with and providing support to Mackenzie’s classmates."

Lyft released a statement late Monday afternoon:

"We recognize how scary this must be for those who know and love Ms. Lueck. The safety of our community is fundamental to Lyft and we are actively assisting law enforcement with their investigation."

Lueck's family also released a statement:

"Mackenzie Lueck has been missing since Monday, June 17, when she landed at the Salt Lake City airport in the early morning. She was last heard from at 1:00 am, when she texted her parents that her flight had landed safely. Since Monday, she has missed her midterms at the University of Utah and has not been in communication with family or friends. We are aware that she had planned to fly from Salt Lake City airport to the Los Angeles airport at some point on Sunday, June 23."

"Our primary goal is to find Mackenzie and bring her home. Her family is grateful for the concern, prayers and the tireless efforts of the Salt Lake City Police and members of the community."

"Mackenzie is 5’6” tall, 120 pounds with a slim/athletic build, medium length blonde hair and brown eyes."

"If you have seen Mackenzie, or have any knowledge or information of her whereabouts since Monday, June 17, please contact the Salt Lake City Police Department at (801) 799-3000."

Police set up a tip line to help them find Lueck.

The number to call with any tips about Lueck or her whereabouts is 801-799-4420. Officers are manning the line.

Tuesday, June 25

Police released surveillance photos of Lueck at the Salt Lake City International Airport, showing the clothes she was last known to be wearing.

The FBI was contacted about her missing status.

Police said Lueck had three prior interactions with police, including a moving violation, an assault and found property in January. All of those cases were resolved and are not expected to be related to her disappearance.

"We continue to look into all facets of her life that might have led to her disappearance," Doubt said.

He mentioned other possible social media accounts and reporters at the press conference asked follow up questions but Doubt told reporters there is no indication of further social media activity, but said it was part of the widespread investigation into her disappearance.

After the press conference, news broke that the cameras at Hatch Park where Lueck was last seen were not working on the morning she disappeared.

“We have some cameras that are active,” Len Arave, mayor of North Salt Lake, told 2News, “and we’ve given that to the Salt Lake City Police Department, and we have some cameras that I’d consider dummy cameras.”

Wednesday, June 26

Officers surrounded a home in Salt Lake City to execute a search warrant.

Police confirmed at a press conference at 10 p.m. the search warrant was related to the Lueck case.

They did not elaborate further on what was happening at the home located at 547 N. 1000 W. The investigation is ongoing.

Police were seen searching and photographing boxes and areas of garbage. They were also talking to the homeowner.

2News searched the history of the home and found it’s listed on Airbnb.

The homeowner is a Utah State University graduate who served in the military and is a freelance model, according to his social media pages.

Thursday, June 27

Dozens of boxes of ammunition were found inside the Salt Lake City home allegedly connected to Lueck.

Police have booked a gardening tool and several other items into evidence, a 2News crew saw at the scene.

The owner of the home where police served a search warrant is considered a person of interest in Lueck’s disappearance.

According to Chief Mike Brown with the Salt Lake City Police Department, no arrests have been made. However, the homeowner has talked with detectives.

Several people contacted police to report a mattress and a box spring was given away by the homeowner. The items were possibly given away from a person at 547 N. 1000 W.

The person(s) who picked up these items are encouraged to call SLCPD at 801-799-3000.

"We need the help of the public in this case," Brown said.

The police chief did not confirm what led authorities to house nor did he say that the homeowner was the person Lueck met on the morning she disappeared.

Brown said this case is a digital and forensic investigation. Authorities will continue to follow the digital footprint that's laid out in texting apps and other sources.

The homeowner's neighbor told 2News that he'd "be shocked if he was involved in this." The neighbor described the person of interest as a "very nice guy" who is "well-behaved" and "quiet."

Friday, June 28

A person was taken into custody in connection to Lueck's disappearance, according to SLCPD.

Police have not confirmed who the person is.

SLCPD announced at an 11:30 a.m. press conference that Ayoola Ajayi, the owner of the owner of the home in Fairpark searched by police for the past two days in the missing case of MacKenzie Lueck, has been arrested and booked for aggravated murder, aggravated kidnapping, and desecration of a body.

Friday, July 5

The body of MacKenzie Lueck has been found and recovered from Logan Canyon, Salt Lake City Police say.

The investigation in the Lueck case continues.

District Attorney Sim Gill says his office is screening charges for Lueck's suspected killer, Ayoola Ajayi.

Timeline: Events surrounding the disappearance, search for missing U of U student

Mackenzie Lueck: A timeline of what we know about the Utah student's disappearance

Full Timeline Update: the disappearance, search, and murder of MacKenzie Lueck

Timeline of missing student Mackenzie Lueck's movements in Salt Lake City before disappearance

The trunk - now what if he got out of the car, and she was putting her luggage in - and he hit her and put her in the trunk and zip tied her right there? Pretty brazen but he probably scouted out the park before - and I do believe he is arrogant - quite possible scenario IMO. One I had not considered before.
Yeah, I'm not married to the idea but I can't rule it out. MOO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member