The British Royal Family - news, views, clothes & shoes! #7

Status
Not open for further replies.
Headlines in Australia this morning...

Meghan, Duchess of Sussex, has recently been the subject of a media storm over her so-called “diva” demands for privacy — and now she’s insisted that royal life “isn’t easy”.

The Duchess of Sussex, 37, hinted she’s having a difficult time in the spotlight when she joined A-listers at London’s Lion King premiere on the weekend.
Meghan spills: ‘They don’t make it easy’

Quote from the article:
"
He said: “So happy for your union. Love is amazing. It’s wonderful.

“Don’t ever take that for granted but what it means in today’s climate, I just wanted to tell you it’s so significant for so many of us. Seriously.

“We cheer you guys on.”

Meghan replied: “Thank you, they don’t make it easy.”

I really wish some people would stop acting as if Meghan Markle was chosen from the plantation and brought to England to marry a Prince. It truly isn't significant.

_190716_225031_443-jpg.193707

Poor Meg, she did well managing to just put on a smile :D under the circumstances.

I suspect Meghan planned on wearing something different but after the whole 'outfits-outrage-gate' possibly thought twice about it & went with the simple, classic black dress with no added extras?
Considering this was only 24 hours after Wimbledon I'd guess she had to go with something already in her wardrobe, that along with the baby thing... :p would also explain the not-so-great-fitting dress? Maybe..?

Or... perhaps she took note of Petulant Piers advice after all? Possibly? :eek: lol
.. keep it simple, keep it humble, keep it sincere,
keep your moaning mouth shut - and the respect will come

Attachments

• _190716_225031_443.jpg
    _190716_225031_443.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 177
Do I get a tiara? :p
I thought finding a 'Yorkshire' connection would be quite easy :rolleyes:
But not so ...
(well at least not since medieval times :confused: )

Anyway finally...
@CoverMeCagney this one's for you!
1816290wc8jb9ec7q.gif

Tiara Alert!

The Kent Diamond and Pearl Fringe Tiara
79729646-the-duchess-of-kent-attends-a-banquet-held-at-gettyimages+(2)1.jpg
Though it now exists as a small fringe tiara, this sparkler was originally a sleek diamond bandeau. Its original owner was the ultimate twentieth-century royal magpie,:D Queen Mary

Queen Mary owned this petite bandeau tiara, which she purchased in the 1920s

From Mary, the bandeau passed to her daughter-in-law, Princess Marina, Duchess of Kent...her daughter, Princess Alexandra,

20190717_012715-jpg.193716
..ultimately to Marina’s daughter-in-law, the current Duchess of Kent, Katharine Worsley*
From that point on, the bandeau remained in her collection.
2019-0622-kent01.png
Above, she wears the tiara on her way to a state banquet at Buckingham Palace - 1958

But the bandeau tiara disappeared after a time, and hasn’t been publicly seen in decades.

...late 1970s the tiara had transformed. The diamond and dot base was preserved, but the top of the tiara was reworked as a petite diamond fringe topped by small round pearls.

2019-0622-kent04.png

Katharine wears the new version of the tiara - 1978

Attachments

• 20190717_012715.jpg
    20190717_012715.jpg
    138.5 KB · Views: 175
^ cont'd.. o_O

_TiaraCompare.jpg

The bandeau (above) and the fringe (below)
Hovingham Hall

The Hovingham Estate has been in the ownership of the Worsley* family for 450 years...
a rural Estate, in the heart of :p North Yorkshire.

(the childhood home of the
Duchess of Kent)
group-picture-taken-at-hovingham-hall-near-york-after-the-wedding-in-picture-id808825386

The Duke of Kent and Katharine Worsley Wedding - Hovingham Hall
- 1961 -
A group picture taken at Hovingham Hall, near York (home of the bride's parents) after the wedding in York Minster of the Duke of Kent and Miss Katherine Worsley.

:cool:Link with names of everyone pictured
A group picture taken at Hovingham Hall, near York after the wedding... News Photo - Getty Images
6664ae56f763eed9b5dc1b28cf9c8ee8.jpg

Miss Katharine Worsley, wearing the tiara for
her wedding to Edward, Duke of Kent

5866445659_263c19935a_b.jpg

The Worsley family bought Hovingham manor in 1563.

The present house was built 1750 by Thomas Worsley VI, who designed the building himself.

The Kent Pearl Fringe Tiara | The Court Jeweller
The Royal Order of Sartorial Splendor: Tiara Thursday: The Kent Diamond and Pearl Fringe Tiara
Hovingham Hall - Wikipedia
https://www.hovingham.co.uk

Last edited:
My son spent two Summers in London and loved it. I blame London for my son leaving the South to move to Washington, D.C. Of course he loves history and London made him realize that there is a whole big world outside of Alabama. I think he will eventually find his way back to London.

It will be a long time before he settles in the South again.

1816290wc8jb9ec7q.gif

Tiara Alert!

Bahahahah :D

Did I miss the directions on how to insert our own smilies etc here ?

Did anyone see any of the specials about JFK Jr recently (anniversary). I’d forgotten about their super secret wedding. And how awful the paparazzi were. ( American royalty?? Stretching for being Off topic a bit - not the least bit political)

I'm planning to visit Conwy Castle, it just looks like a PROPER castle
upload_2019-7-15_13-23-8-png.193517
Complete with red dragons? ;)
d0002.gif

:confused: It looks huge.
760_wm.php
'By 'eck they don't build 'em like that anymore' :D
Conwy Castle is a medieval fortification in Conwy, on the north coast of Wales. It was built by Edward I, during his conquest of Wales, between 1283 and 1289.
'Little Escape' is a series of short 1 minute films, capturing some unique & beautiful locations around the world. Take a sixty-second break and go on your very own little escape.

Prince William and Kate Middleton celebrate Duchess of Cornwall's 72nd birthday with gorgeous photo

Kensington Palace has posted a beautiful photo on behalf of the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge to celebrate the Duchess of Cornwall's 72nd birthday on Wednesday. The throwback picture was taken last month and showed Camilla in Normandy as she attended the Royal British Legion Service of Remembrance. Prince Charles' wife had opted for a French designer, looking radiant in a buttery cream coat dress by Christian Dior. She added a large hat by Philip Treacy...

“This is from the man who grew up in front of the cameras, in front of the scrutiny of the spotlight, who has said in the past he wished he’d never been born a prince.

“It makes complete sense that he didn’t want the HRH title for Archie, he didn’t want his son to have the burden that Harry grew up with.”

Meghan and Harry ‘careering from one disaster to another’

Prince William and Kate Middleton celebrate Duchess of Cornwall's 72nd birthday with gorgeous photo

Kensington Palace has posted a beautiful photo on behalf of the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge to celebrate the Duchess of Cornwall's 72nd birthday on Wednesday. The throwback picture was taken last month and showed Camilla in Normandy as she attended the Royal British Legion Service of Remembrance. Prince Charles' wife had opted for a French designer, looking radiant in a buttery cream coat dress by Christian Dior. She added a large hat by Philip Treacy...
Camilla looks fantastic, I love that hat on her, she wears it so well.

Is anyone planning to visit anything Royal like a palace or exhibit this summer?
Growing up in the North of England there's castles, palaces, abbeys, medieval churches, towers, fortresses & other various Roman 'Walls' :p & ruins everywhere.
*A quick filtered search using nearest city on 'English Heritage' lists 212 just as 'near me';)
English Heritage Home Page | English Heritage
So I'm kinda 'meh' about them now.

I'm also NEVER planning going anywhere there's swarms of tourists :D
InfatuatedSpottedDartfrog-size_restricted.gif
There is only this one place that I absolutely MUST make an exception, I plan to go & actually see in real life ...
12357408-cute-little-girl-cheerful-dreaming-being-a-princess-in-royal-dress-and-gold-crown.jpg

Schloss Neuschwanstein
5b48a5817a4b8e03710df4639051aef5.jpg
Any visit thou has got to be in wintertime as
the snow would make it perfect - unfortunately it will still be swarming with tourists at the castle even off-season (it's open 365 days?!)
I don't really care if I didn't get inside even :rolleyes: I just gotta see this place!
5e88f5871f835fc42876baef84a348a7.jpg

Neuschwanstein Castle
High in the Alpine foothills of Germany sits one of the most iconic castles in Europe. The “fairy-tale” king, Ludwig II of Bavaria, built this dazzling Neuschwanstein palace to withdraw from public life after losing his power in the Austro-Prussian war. It’s believed that he built his new castle as the centrepiece for an imagined kingdom—one in which he was the true king.
It's history is fascinating along with that of it's creator King Ludwig II :cool:
Ludwig II of Bavaria - Wikipedia
6122b9ce9a1af19dbcf84aaf7925ab35.jpg

Willkommen in Schloss Neuschwanstein

The setting of Neuschwanstein could not be more idyllic.
Today Neuschwanstein is one of the most popular of all the palaces and castles in Europe. Every year 1.4 million people visit "the castle of the fairy-tale king". In the summer around 6,000 visitors a day stream through rooms that were intended for a single inhabitant.

This Immense, Fairy-Tale Castle Was Built For One Person
Bayerische Schlösserverwaltung | Schloss Neuschwanstein | Aktuelle Informationen

Last edited:
Quote from the article:
"
He said: “So happy for your union. Love is amazing. It’s wonderful.

“Don’t ever take that for granted but what it means in today’s climate, I just wanted to tell you it’s so significant for so many of us. Seriously.

“We cheer you guys on.”

Meghan replied: “Thank you, they don’t make it easy.”

I really wish some people would stop acting as if Meghan Markle was chosen from the plantation and brought to England to marry a Prince. It truly isn't significant.

:eek:19B0DFB3-3FED-466C-856C-BB229B6AB294.jpeg

For all the mess with Charles that she was involved in and the fallout, I must say she looks very comfortable in her skin and knows how to dress comfortably and elegantly.

Camilla always seems to be enjoying herself and happy in her role. I especially liked the photos when she and Charles were in the Caribbean. She looked awesome for her age and wore some fabulous clothes. I hope she had a lovely birthday :)

807CC4F7-5AE3-451D-9D26-B3CBDDF1779F.jpeg 46D7F623-03B1-4957-BEA7-E0DD80C3ED74.jpeg 8A3CB4ED-2419-4678-81C8-534B8567C413.jpeg EE603ED6-E49F-4691-90AF-46BCF8A7564D.jpeg

The Queen and Prince Philip are preparing to start their summer break in Scotland, where they will spend the next couple of months in what is Her Majesty's favourite places in the world, her residence Balmoral Castle.

Located in Royal Deeside, Aberdeenshire, the estate is set amid mountains, lochs and glens, and is an idyllic spot for the royals to enjoy their holidays. Her Majesty starts the break in the seven-bedroom Craigowan Lodge on the estate while the castle is still open to the public, before moving into the main house in August.

Inside the Queen and Prince Philip's Scottish residence Balmoral Castle

Balmoral looks lovely it is a pity it is so far from me. I love her Majesty’s small electric heater at the fireplace.

1AC2E6BC-0D37-4D6D-A3E7-65B796F74C90.jpeg

The Queen is looking for a ‘talented chef’ to create a menu of ‘diverse meals’ at Buckingham Palace – and you can get paid £22k a year

The Queen is looking for a 'talented chef' to create a menu of 'diverse meals' at Buckingham Palace - and you can get paid £22k a year

The pay isn’t great for living in London. I wonder what the staff retention rate is at Buckingham Palace etc. It would be great for your CV if you worked there for a few years successfully and didn’t need much money.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member