Deceased/Not Found CO - Kelsey Berreth, 29, Woodland Park, Teller County, 22 Nov 2018 - #54 *ARREST*

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is one case where I really don't think the defense wants the venue changed. That doesn't happen very often, but for some reason, I'm thinking the Frazee family wants it there?
SABBM:

It will be interesting to see if the defense requests a change of venue in this case or not.
I don't think it will make any difference either way.

This has been a pretty high profile case nationally, so I don't think there's necessarily a benefit to the defense getting the trial moved over a few counties.

By the same token, I don't think the defense will enjoy any home field advantage by keeping it in Teller.

I've done a cursory review of the census data for Teller and a couple of the other counties in that area of CO.
The statistical info was remarkably similar, so I'm thinking the demographics of the jury pool aren't likely to be affected by a change of venue.

Overall, it's probably a wash.
For that reason, the defense may just forego the change of venue request.

JMO.

One thing that's interesting about this discussion about a change of venue - usually you don't request it because of publicity, you request it because you think that publicity will work against your client.

I doubt that this is the hottest topic of conversation around town anymore, and trial is still nearly six months away. Asking for a change of venue would suggest that the defense thinks general sentiment is against PF, so much so that they can't seat an unbiased jury. I think the home team has the slight advantage here - local boy goes down because of two out-of-town women.

KK had a status review hearing (telephone appearance) June 24.

Are you saying that she has another one scheduled for July 24?

I don't see that on docket.... o_O

I have KK's next review hearing for Dec 2nd and her last one was on June 24th as you stated above.

This is what I have for upcoming court dates:

August 23, 2019 - Friday
  • Motions Hearing 9:00 am
September 5, 2019 - Thursday
  • Review with appearance of parties (Custody) - 8:15am
Case #: D602018JV26

October 28, 2019 - Monday
  • PF’s Trial - 8:30am (Trials is expected to take 3 weeks)
Inmate #: 2018001543

Booking #: 18-02029

Case #: D602018CR330

December 2, 2019 - Monday
  • KK Review is scheduled 11 am
Case #: D602019CR17
  • Sentencing date for KK will be set during this hearing

There is nothing on the court site with 7/24 date - here's what it has:

Date Len Name Hearing Type Case # Location Division
12/2/19
11:00 AM 1H KENNEY, KRYSTAL Review Hearing D602019CR17 Teller County DIV 11 - TELLER DISTRICT COURT

link: Seventh Judicial District » Docket Search

I believe you misread her post - it says June 24th - that was KK's last hearing.
Yes Niner, I was having a complete disconnect last night looking at the timeline. I swear I didn't even have my evening cocktail either...…..yet! :p

Sorry for the confusion.

Tippy Lynn said:
snipped by me....
This is what I have for upcoming court dates:

August 23, 2019 - Friday

Motions Hearing 9:00 am

I have in my notes that this will last all day. Don't know if you want to put that in your notes?

I also have this in my notes:
A motions hearing for June 14 related to consumptive testing, another motion hearing on Aug. 23 @ 9am for all day & the pre-trial readiness date would be Friday, Oct. 18 @ 9am.

I'm wondering "why" they don't have that on the court site. Maybe it was cancelled and I missed that?
Anyone??

girlhasnoname said:
Yes Niner, I was having a complete disconnect last night looking at the timeline. I swear I didn't even have my evening cocktail either...…..yet! :p

Sorry for the confusion.

Okay - no problem! Just didn't want you to be anticipating a hearing this coming Monday! :)

One thing that's interesting about this discussion about a change of venue - usually you don't request it because of publicity, you request it because you think that publicity will work against your client.

I doubt that this is the hottest topic of conversation around town anymore, and trial is still nearly six months away. Asking for a change of venue would suggest that the defense thinks general sentiment is against PF, so much so that they can't seat an unbiased jury. I think the home team has the slight advantage here - local boy goes down because of two out-of-town women.

Does the Frazee Family have enough influence in the community to make sure any juror votes in a positive way?
Hence they want the trial ‘at home’?

If they have that kind of influence, we may get a bitter taste of small town politics ! My vote is on Dan May to set the record straight ! Crazy Frazee's ! Ya killed the wrong girl this time, Mama Bear was not afraid to bring you into the light.

I don't think the Frazees have major influence, just that they might have a slight home team advantage, just as KK had in Idaho Falls. It's natural - people just can't believe someone they think they know could be so evil.

My point is not that the Frazees have big influence, just that if anything they have a slight natural advantage. Certainly no grounds for his attorneys to ask for a change of venue.

Something that I'm curious about that I'm afraid won't be answered at trial: the landfill search.

Everyone knew that was going to be a lengthy costly process with no guarantees - good possibilities, but no guarantees. They didn't undertake that search without believing they had very reliable information pointing them there.

I don't think a receipt from the landfill would have been enough, even if the timing seemed a good fit. It seems to me that DA May would have wanted some other evidence or testimony.

Or the search was based solely on someone's testimony? If so, who? It's not clear to me if they've formally interviewed family members and PF's 'surrogate' father and the donkey fellow or landfill workers?

I'm also curious to know more about the search generally.

I don't think the Frazees have major influence, just that they might have a slight home team advantage, just as KK had in Idaho Falls. It's natural - people just can't believe someone they think they know could be so evil.

My point is not that the Frazees have big influence, just that if anything they have a slight natural advantage. Certainly no grounds for his attorneys to ask for a change of venue.

Something that I'm curious about that I'm afraid won't be answered at trial: the landfill search.

Everyone knew that was going to be a lengthy costly process with no guarantees - good possibilities, but no guarantees. They didn't undertake that search without believing they had very reliable information pointing them there.

I don't think a receipt from the landfill would have been enough, even if the timing seemed a good fit. It seems to me that DA May would have wanted some other evidence or testimony.

Or the search was based solely on someone's testimony? If so, who? It's not clear to me if they've formally interviewed family members and PF's 'surrogate' father and the donkey fellow or landfill workers?

I'm also curious to know more about the search generally.

I do think we'll learn at trial what specifically led LE to the landfill.

My own belief is that we'll learn it was several elements combined that led them to search that location, e.g, landfill receipts, witness testimony, cell phone pings/electronic tracking data, etc.

I predict we'll hear the phrase "needle in a haystack" used to describe that landfill search.
I also think we'll hear expert testimony that it's entirely possible that KB's remains are still in that landfill.

JMO.

Last edited:
I do think we'll learn at trial what specifically led LE to the landfill.

My own belief is that we'll learn it was several elements combined that led them to search that location, e.g, landfill receipts, witness testimony, cell phone pings/electronic tracking data, etc.

I also predict we'll hear the phrase "needle in a haystack" from at least one prosecution witness, and I think we'll also hear from at least one expert witness that it's entirely possible that KB's remains are still in that landfill.

JMO.

If KK's account that PF told her that he was going to dispose of the charred debris either in the river or at the landfill, was believed, I think investigators had a duty to search the landfill.

MOO

7/22/2019

It has been eight months since CB and DB have seen or talked to their only daughter. Eight months that Baby K has been without her mama. I know she's being well cared for and in the best place possible but it still just makes me furious. They didn't get to say goodbye. They can't even bury her. I hate him. And there's a special place in hell for KK too. MOO

7/22/2019

It has been eight months since CB and DB have seen or talked to their only daughter. Eight months that Baby K has been without her mama. I know she's being well cared for and in the best place possible but it still just makes me furious. They didn't get to say goodbye. They can't even bury her. I hate him. And there's a special place in hell for KK too. MOO
Couldn't agree more Pommy. The arrogance, defiance and entitlement in PF is beyond comprehension. Kelsey was a truly innocent victim of some evil people and that is a bitter, hard pill to swallow.

I can't imagine the pain the Berreth family has gone through and will go through again when the trial details unfold. :(

#JUSTICEFORKELSEY

Couldn't agree more Pommy. The arrogance, defiance and entitlement in PF is beyond comprehension. Kelsey was a truly innocent victim of some evil people and that is a bitter, hard pill to swallow.

I can't imagine the pain the Berreth family has gone through and will go through again when the trial details unfold. :(

#JUSTICEFORKELSEY
Yes, all of what transpired in this case magnified our utter disdain for that monster and his side kick. Right now, all I want for my birthday this year, is PF sitting in a court room and may the trial begin! Sadly, we all know how it goes, one delay after another, after another...............:(

Article from today mentioning KB's murder in r/t Teller Co. stats:
Most likely to die of suicide in Teller County detailed in new report

SABBM:

White men ages 40 to 65 are more likely to die by suicide in Teller County than any other group, says the first in-depth annual report from the county Coroner’s Office.

The new report recorded no homicides for last year.

The presumed death of 29-year-old mother and Woodland Park resident Kelsey Berreth, who was last seen publicly on Thanksgiving Day, is not documented as a homicide because her body hasn’t been found, authorities have said.

“It’s still a homicide investigation; it’s being investigated as no-body homicide,” De Young said of the high-profile case, which captured worldwide media attention.

So, when will the coroner count her death as a homicide?

Has a death certificate been issued?

Has she been declared legally dead yet, or not?

If not, will her parents have to wait until PF is convicted to have her declared legally dead?

Just when you think we've run out of reasons to hate PF, here's another one thrown in our face.

Her death isn't even counted in the county's records.

JMO.

If KK's account that PF told her that he was going to dispose of the charred debris either in the river or at the landfill, was believed, I think investigators had a duty to search the landfill.

MOO
Well let's be honest, the landfill will be the only place out of the two that they could possibly have found the charred debris. If he did toss them in the river, they're long gone, unfortunately.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jojo53