CA CA - Barbara Thomas, 69, Bullhead City, hiking wearing bikini in Mojave desert, 12 July 2019

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Darn it! I was hoping to login to see a “found safe” today! I’m still unsure what the heck happened, but I know that In the Sheryl Powell case, they cleared the husband rather quickly. Don’t know if that means a thing here but.... MOO

JUL 19, 2019
Video: Husband of missing 69-year-old hiker says police consider him a suspect
  • SBCSO says they are not releasing any information about the missing person investigation and interviews with family members.
  • Authorities also say they have no evidence the woman was abducted nor have they found any trace of her.
  • Rescuers resumed the search at daybreak using off-road vehicles, K9 units, hikers, and aerial support.
  • Authorities are unaware of how long RT and BT were separated before she disappeared nor do they know how far she was from the RV at the time.
  • Officials also say that they are unaware of any medical conditions that may have caused BT to become disoriented or lost.
BBM??? How can they NOT know this? Wouldn't they have walked the path to Last Known and been told here, this is the spot I was standing taking my pictures....and this is the corner BT went around when I lost site of her. Of course, LE does not have to say anything to us about what they know but I am betting darn tootin they know.

JUL 19, 2019
Search Continues for 69-Year-Old Woman Who Disappeared on Mojave Desert Hike 1 Week Ago
Authorities on Friday resumed the search for a missing 69-year-old Arizona woman who vanished exactly one week ago while hiking amid the sweltering heat in the Mojave Desert.

[...]

The search began again Friday at sunrise in the area of Kelbaker and Hidden Hills near I-40.

Search and rescue members are utilizing off-road vehicles, K-9 units and hikers to comb through the desert terrain, according to the release. Aerial support will assist throughout the day.

Crews will face challenging weather conditions, as temperatures are forecast to once again reach triple-digits.

[...]

Some people, if they see someone approaching them with friendly apologetic body language of ‘can you help me,’ are going to wait to see what’s going on, rather than turning and running. That would give a would-be abductor time to get close.

I doubt that she was abducted, though.
Haven't tested it yet, but was wondering if a loud scream would be heard in the conditions we are looking at. five to ten mins distance in a barren landscape. Maybe not near a busy road, but busy seems very relative in this case.

Is there a chance she is still alive at this point?
Not if she is in that desert. JMO

This week I walked with my kids for 15 minutes in high 80's sunny temperatures. We each drank 500 ml of water as we walked and needed to crack new bottles as soon as we settled at our destination. I actually felt dizzy from thirst and the heat.

No way was she alive after the the first day in only a bikini in a heat wave in the desert with no water source.

Of course....that is if she is there at all.

JMO

SBCSD Colorado River Station on Twitter
The search for Barbara Thomas, age 69, is continuing in the area of Kelbaker/ Hidden Hills near the I-40 https://local.nixle.com/alert/7417152/
D_3Z895XYAA6niD.jpg
D_3Z882XkAEWjTg.jpg

1:38 PM - 19 Jul 2019

July 18th - The search for Barbara Thomas, age 69, is continuing in the area of Kelbaker/ Hidden ... from SBSD - Colorado River Sheriffs Department : Nixle
UPDATE #7
Friday, July 19th, the search continues this morning for Barbara Thomas. Search and Rescue members are utilizing off road vehicles, K9 units and hikers. The search resumed just after sunrise this morning. The search will include aerial support throughout the day.

There has been no evidence of Barbara Thomas located on previous days. Temperatures are expected to reach over 100 degrees.

@oviedo
Thank you will add to my summary post

BBM??? How can they NOT know this? Wouldn't they have walked the path to Last Known and been told here, this is the spot I was standing taking my pictures....and this is the corner BT went around when I lost site of her. Of course, LE does not have to say anything to us about what they know but I am betting darn tootin they know.

They are going on hearsay from RT. So, by definition they do not "know".

That was me - based on another case I'm following in which SBCSO is the investigating agency. Tight-lipped, for sure and no reason I know of to believe they're incompetent. MOO

I agree.

The Erin Corwin case was the first I ever followed here on WS, and if I'm not mistaken, SBCSO was the lead investigative agency in EC's case, as well.

The SBCSO did an absolutely amazing job of both locating and recovering Erin's remains out there in that desert after her vicious murderer threw her body down an abandoned mine shaft.

Based on having followed that case closely, I have full confidence in this particular LEA's ability to do a thorough, competent job here.

JMO.

Last edited:
This week I walked with my kids for 15 minutes in high 80's sunny temperatures. We each drank 500 ml of water as we walked and needed to crack new bottles as soon as we settled at our destination. I actually felt dizzy from thirst and the heat.

Glad you made it. If you felt dizzy, it was probably a combination of dehydration and losing electrolytes. You might try to drink some water (maybe add some salt, cheaper than Gatorade) before you go, and bring water too. You shouldn't feel that dizzy after only 15 minutes.

Is there a chance she is still alive at this point?
Definitely.

Literally no sign of her or a struggle in or around the camper that LE have reported. They are continuing the search <modsnip>

There are many scenarios in which she could still be alive. Being lost in the desert it is unlikely she'd be alive, but as far as I can tell that is the only place besides Robbie's house LE are looking for her. She could be pretty much anywhere else... most likely trapped.

<modsnip>

Last edited by a moderator:
Haven't tested it yet, but was wondering if a loud scream would be heard in the conditions we are looking at. five to ten mins distance in a barren landscape. Maybe not near a busy road, but busy seems very relative in this case.
So this looks like some of the camping we've done in Moab. Would people hear? Maybe? If nearby. Large rock formations would swallow up sound, so would taller brush. Looking at google maps though, it looks pretty hilly/rocky/mountainous, so it may not carry as long as a sandy desert would

Google Maps

Attempting to summarize what has been reported so far..

Search underway for lost hiker in Mojave Desert
2:30pm reported time - black bikini, red hat, boots/socks. No supplies or cellphones - she walked ahead when he stopped to take a picture.
69-year-old Arizona woman missing after hiking in Mojave Desert
They were about 20 miles north of Interstate 40, east of Kelbaker Road.

Thomas was last seen wearing a black bikini, a red baseball cap, and tan hiking boots.
The search for 69-year-old Barbara Thomas is continuing In the area of Kelbaker/ Hidden Hills near ... from SBSD - Colorado River Sheriffs Department : Nixle

Barbara Thomas, 69 years old, resident of Bullhead City, Az.
5'9, 130 lbs., Blonde hair, Green eyes
Last seen wearing a black bikini, a red baseball cap and tan hiking boots with black socks

UPDATE #2:
The search is moving into the third day for Barbara Thomas in the Mohave desert. Barbara was last seen in the area of Kelbaker / Hidden Hills near the I-40. The search involves numerous Search & Rescue members, deputies, K9’s, Sheriff’s Aviation(helicopter) and Park Rangers.

There have been no sightings of her at this time. The temperatures today hovered around 104 degrees.

Hiker Wearing Bikini Disappears in Southern California's Sweltering Mojave Desert

Bikini-Clad 69-Year-Old Woman Missing After Hiking in Mojave Desert Amid Heatwave

Arizona woman missing in California's Mojave Desert

Woman, 69, missing in Mojave with no supplies or cellphone and wearing only a bikini
Cat L. Smith
First report of shorts

upload_2019-7-16_1-26-9-png.193628

Woman missing from Mojave Desert

Husband thinks she was taken (first report of this that I have found)

Search for woman, 69, missing in Mojave Desert after separated from husband while hiking in bikini | Daily Mail Online
Bikini-clad woman, 69, reported missing after hiking in Mojave Desert in California amid heatwave
Still searching Tuesday
#100 - page 5- family member (unverified)
#124 - page 7 - another post by family member as above
#134-136
#546 - page 28

69-year-old bikini-clad woman missing in Mojave Desert – San Bernardino Sun
Woman Goes Missing Without Supplies in Mojave Desert Amid High Temperatures
Thomas’ husband told KTNV that they took their trailer to the desert for the weekend. They were close to the RV when Robert stopped to take a picture.

“By the time I took the picture she was continuing on because she wanted to get to the RV,” he said. “And she rounded the corner and I lost sight of her.”

He suspects something happened when she crossed a highway. “My feeling is that she was picked up because she had to cross a highway. She was wearing a bikini and she had a beer in her hand.”

He said she may be in the Las Vegas area.

Search continues for missing Bullhead City woman
Search for bikini-clad woman in Mojave Desert expands with off-road vehicles

Desert Mines & Mills
July 16
July 16th - The search for Barbara Thomas, age 69, is continuing in the area of Kelbaker/ Hidden ... from SBSD - Colorado River Sheriffs Department : Nixle

Husband of Woman Who Vanished During Mojave Desert Hike: 'I Just Want Her Back'
Husband takes a lie detector test

San Bernardino County Sheriff on Twitter
Volunteers and off-road vehicles join hunt for bikini-clad 69-year-old 'abducted' in Mojave Desert | Daily Mail Online

July 17th - The search for Barbara Thomas, age 69, is continuing in the area of Kelbaker/ Hidden ... from SBSD - Colorado River Sheriffs Department : Nixle

Arizona Woman, 69, Missing for 5 Days in the Mojave Desert After Going Hiking with Husband
Roadside Camping - Mojave National Preserve (U.S. National Park Service)

Map:
https://www.nps.gov/moja/planyourvisit/upload/MOJAmap1.pdf

Cops insist they're examining 'all possibilities' after missing hiker's husband claimed he's suspect | Daily Mail Online

SBCSD Colorado River Station on Twitter
The search for Barbara Thomas, age 69, is continuing in the area of Kelbaker/ Hidden Hills near the I-40 https://local.nixle.com/alert/7417152/
D_3Z895XYAA6niD.jpg
D_3Z882XkAEWjTg.jpg

1:38 PM - 19 Jul 2019

July 18th - The search for Barbara Thomas, age 69, is continuing in the area of Kelbaker/ Hidden ... from SBSD - Colorado River Sheriffs Department : Nixle
UPDATE #7
Friday, July 19th, the search continues this morning for Barbara Thomas. Search and Rescue members are utilizing off road vehicles, K9 units and hikers. The search resumed just after sunrise this morning. The search will include aerial support throughout the day.

There has been no evidence of Barbara Thomas located on previous days. Temperatures are expected to reach over 100 degrees.

Thanks dbdb. So are you saying that one of them was involved with herbalife? I think I missed how the topic originally came up.

A separate question: Was it only going to be Barb coming to Hong Kong? And, did she talk on the phone to your family last Wednesday, or was it by electronic means? Did she mention a specific flight number? (i.e. did it seem that she had something specifically booked?)

Only answer what you can and what you have time for.
Thanks for contributing!

ETA: dbdb - ignore my question about herbalife as I see you have already addressed it.

Only Barb was coming, and she made a similar solo trip a few months back.

All flights were booked and she had a hotel reservation as well.

She spoke to my father and his wife last Wed and mentioned upcoming camping trip.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DRios