CA CA - Barbara Thomas, 69, from Bullhead City AZ, disappeared in Mojave desert, 12 July 2019 #2

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been kind of wondering - when they say there's no evidence of Barbara located in the desert, does that mean NONE whatsoever? Were there footprints or things in the trailer that she had been there but there's no evidence elsewhere in the desert? Or did they mean no evidence ANYWHERE? That would certainly call into question if she was ever really there. Sorry for the weirdly worded question, PM :)

JMO
I am not sure that means much. If I walked from my car to my office and back there would also be no evidence from me located in the parking lot. It doesn't prove I wasn't there, it just proves I didn't leave evidence there. If I drove away (assuming no cameras) there would be no evidence I was even in town that day.

I think LE was hoping to find a piece of her clothing, her hat, or the beer can/mug she was carrying. They are surprised because they didn't find any of those things (as am I). Its possible that all of those things are intact and stayed with her while she fell or crawled into some crevice they didn't or couldn't search but it seems so improbable to me.

I expect they are scouring any and all electronics that her husband could provide to find evidence that she was in that (or some other) location that day. They have asked him hundreds of questions like where he stopped to eat, shop, get gas, pee, etc.. and will see if there is any video, credit cards receipts, and if anybody remembers them at those places. My guess is that the resources have shifted to a traditional investigation of the SO as the prime suspect.

<modsnip: not victim friendly>

Last edited by a moderator:
the VI said there was photos of her in the camera at the location.
that leaves two probable options,
1) she's still there lost
2) she was kidnapped
and one improbable,
1) she was hid nearby.
Which seems like a lot of trouble to stage.

Another thought to add to your list, they could’ve left that location after the photos and someone returned there.

Edited to stay within rules.

RT definitely indicated he took pictures that day. At least one, for sure.

The reason BT and RT became separated was purportedly b/c he wanted to stop to take a picture and she went on ahead of him.

Whether he took any pictures of BT is an open question.

I'm guessing not. It's hard to take a picture of someone when they aren't even there.

I don't think she was ever at that location that day.

JMO.

the VI said there was photos of her in the camera at the location.
that leaves two probable options,
1) she's still there lost
2) she was kidnapped
and one improbable,
1) she was hid nearby.
Which seems like a lot of trouble to stage.
I thought he was just speculating that there were photos of her in the camera. Imo

I can't help but go back to the fact that there has been no evidence of Barbara being there per SBSD and their searches, therefore the searches have been suspended.

"No evidence of Barbara was located today."

July 22nd - The investigation continues into the whereabouts of missing person Barbara Thomas from SBSD - Colorado River Sheriffs Department : Nixle

@sroad , thank you so much for the photos of the area! They help a lot in visualizing the terrain and I'm surprised at how many places one could actually hide out in.

As I understand, the dogs have never picked up a scent or at least SAR is not making that public. Also, I would like to know if the ground surface is loose enough to show footprints? I see tire tracks in the photos but I'm curious if RT's footprints have been identified and there are no signs of Barbara's? If that is the case, then I would agree, Barbara was never there. MOO

Yes, the ground surface for the most part shows footprints, some parts are packed soil or rocky and don't show foot prints. In my case, I looked at the SAR footprints and would walk in places where I didn't see recent footprints or quad/4WD tracks.

MOO. That's how I read it too, but wanted to check and make sure I wasn't crazy.
I would never argue with Willy after he released his hit album "Willennium"

If her husband took photos of her that day they would be date and time stamped. If he does not have that proof I agree ...she was never there. Think she was gone before he ever got to the trail.
I thought this from the beginning because I lived in Arizona and to have a 69 year old women out for a hike in a bikini could only happen in another dimension.

I am not sure that means much. If I walked from my car to my office and back there would also be no evidence from me located in the parking lot. It doesn't prove I wasn't there, it just proves I didn't leave evidence there. If I drove away (assuming no cameras) there would be no evidence I was even in town that day.

I think LE was hoping to find a piece of her clothing, her hat, or the beer can/mug she was carrying. They are surprised because they didn't find any of those things (as am I). Its possible that all of those things are intact and stayed with her while she fell or crawled into some crevice they didn't or couldn't search but it seems so improbable to me.

I expect they are scouring any and all electronics that her husband could provide to find evidence that she was in that (or some other) location that day. They have asked him hundreds of questions like where he stopped to eat, shop, get gas, pee, etc.. and will see if there is any video, credit cards receipts, and if anybody remembers them at those places. My guess is that the resources have shifted to a traditional investigation of the SO as the prime suspect.

Good point. Where along the route might cameras have spotted that RV?

All men aren’t evil. Evil is not gender specific.

SAR would not have searched the truck or trailer (which were back at their house for most of this search). They'd need a warrant to search the truck and trailer and LE would do this (not SAR). LE and SAR together found no physical evidence of her in the area where she disappeared.

But maybe they did get a peek inside the truck at some point? Maybe RT let them look?

Even if her belongings are found inside the vehicle and RV, that's not proof that she was out at Kelbaker Road. This is a really strange and concerning case.
Good point. I’d think that the husband, in an effort to assist LEOs in finding Barbara, would’ve granted consent for any relevant searches, to include the RV etc. Will be interesting to find out in the end the search results.

IMO it does say much, because in your scenario you're talking about walking through a parking lot. This scenario here involves the desert and sand which would be more likely to retain footprints then a parking lot would.

deleted, I found the answer.

Last edited:
LE has also said there's been no evidence of Barbara located in the desert. So, using the same logic you're applying here, does that mean that she was never there? MOO

They did search for her in the desert, but did not explore a kidnapping scenario, so it isn't the same logic.
Very possible she was never there though. IM0

So I don’t really know much about how scent dogs work. Would they be able to determine that a person *was* somewhere, even if they aren’t there anymore? Like if Barbara at one point sat on a rock, under perfect circumstances would the dogs be able to smell she had been on that rock?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
*Starbuttercup*