CA CA - Barbara Thomas, 69, from Bullhead City AZ, disappeared in Mojave desert, 12 July 2019 #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
First I want to say that her clothing (lack of) and having a beer in her hand should not be the focus of where Barbara is. I live in San Diego and I'm not much younger than she and when we make desert/river runs in AZ and CA that was the norm. Although we always made sure we hydrated ourselves during the 6+ hours out.

I'm going to try to stay within the TOS but if anyone who has followed the "breadcrumbs" in thread #1, I would think if there was any validity to that it would already be on MSM and dbdb11 would be able to verify.

Again my heart goes out to the family and @dbdb11 I'm beyond sorry that your family and father are going through this.

MOO and if not within TOS, please delete.

BBM

Quoted from the post above: I would think if there was any validity to that it would already be on MSM and dbdb11 would be able to verify.

I agree.

Last edited:
First I want to say that her clothing (lack of) and having a beer in her hand should not be the focus of where Barbara is. I live in San Diego and I'm not much younger than she and when we make desert/river runs in AZ and CA that was the norm. Although we always made sure we hydrated ourselves during the 6+ hours out.

I'm going to try to stay within the TOS but if anyone who has followed the "breadcrumbs" in thread #1, I would think if there was any validity to that it would already be on MSM and dbdb11 would be able to verify.

Again my heart goes out to the family and @dbdb11 I'm beyond sorry that your family and father are going through this.

I’m from San Diego and this is 100% true. She sounds like a fun lady!

SBM

This post menopausal woman is definitely not the type you describe, regardless of it being my husband or someone else who has pushed all the wrong buttons. My hormones must be completely opposite what you studies and knowledge bear out. I was not prone to storm off prior to menopause.

JMO and knowledge of myself
I think I’d be MORE prone to walk away without expending the energy of actually storming off now if provoked, at age 66, because I am just OVER taking crap from anyone. That said, I wouldn’t do it without supplies in the middle of a desert hike. And I don’t think Barbara did.

Google Maps

I am sure somebody has already posted this.. So this is for reference
360 degree map of where I think they parked the truck and 5th wheel and the 2 mile walk is the dirt road which leads out to the rock formations referred to as the Hidden Hills.
Turn the map the 360 and you can see the area he parked at and the dirt road has a pole in the center keeping you from driving down it..

Oh - I hear you Roses. It happens.

IMO, if she had grown "weary of him", I think she might have made a better plan than to suddenly vanish during a short walk in the desert.

IMO, we women grow wiser as we gain our crown of silver locks. As we grow older and gain wisdom & life experience, if we want to end a relationship, we tend to choose the time and place (if we are empowered women with a support system). I just think that a desert exit is not what Barbara would have planned (IMO, based upon what I know of women reclaiming their power & their lives), if she had been planning to leave and start a new life for herself.

As far as that goes, none of us has any info that points to Barbara wanting to exit & start a new life. For all we know, she was perfectly happy in her marriage. Until & unless valid info surfaces that suggests she was unhappy & had been making plans to leave, I will have no reason to believe that she was seeking an exit.

I fear that whatever has happened was not Barbara's choosing, whatever that may have been.
All very good points Sorrell Skye....and I agree that whatever happened was not of her choosing most likely. : (

Amateur opinion and speculation

People aren't necessarily focusing on what she is wearing and having a beer. People are focusing on how the husband said, almost with disdain at her choice of clothing- she had a beer, he had a gallon of water........

People are also questioning if she was actually wearing those items on that day, and why the container holding her beer wasn't found- no hat fell off or sunglasses. The photo of her doesn't appear to be of her from that day.

Some folks were just saying they found that choice of clothing intriguing for the desert- as in, not protective enough for one's skin, from scratches from cactus to the heat bearing down on you. Many have said they've worn something similar hiking in the desert, while others just couldn't imagine doing so in that heat.

Last edited:
I think RT needs a Lawyer fast and needs to stop talking.
At his age he needs to let a Lawyer talk for him. He might be easily confused by now from all of the stress, etc.

It's one of the first things they taught us in law school...always tell your client to keep their mouth shut. Even an innocent person can dig themselves into a hole if they aren't careful. (That's why I've never done any defense work!)

My opinion on not hearing from her family is they are dealing with a dying father as BT’s nephew stated.

I can’t imagine being so far away and also having to deal with a missing daughter, sister too. Is their main source of communication with RT?

This is not a situation that is too comfortable for them as more time passes, LE announces BT has not been abducted, and searches have stopped. What a predicament to be in!

People aren't necessarily focusing on what she is wearing and having a beer. People are focusing on how the husband said, almost with disdain at her choice of clothing- she had a beer, he had a gallon of water........

People are also questioning if she was actually wearing those items on that day, and why the container holding her beer wasn't found- no hat fell off or sunglasses. The photo of her doesn't appear to be of her from that day.

Some folks were just saying they found that choice of clothing intriguing for the desert- as in, not protective enough for one's skin, from scratches from cactus to the heat bearing down on you. Many have said they've worn something similar hiking in the desert, while others just couldn't imagine doing so in that heat.

Yes, from this thread we've learned that many people DO go hiking in the desert in July wearing bikinis, etc. That is important information, in my mind. Moreso, that Barbara's family doesn't think it odd. That being said, other posters have pointed out that voluntarily going off the beaten path (literally) would likely result in much discomfort, as the area is rife with nasty prickly-type things. In trying to put together a likely scenario, it doesn't seem likely, at least to me, that Barbara wandered off the path voluntarily.

And, regarding the search. There are many times when searches don't initially find the lost person and then do so on the second look. However, I just wouldn't expect that in this case. This isn't a situation where someone went off hiking and their loved-one became concerned after he didn't show up after a few days, or the person was last seen at the trail head, setting out on a 10 mile hike. Barbara disappeared in a few minutes! Her husband searched within at least an hour of finding her missing, I believe, and the "official" search was robust, early in the disappearance, and had a known location, vs. "she was going to go hiking the abcde trail in the xyz national park". She had no supplies (water) and little defense from the elements. She has to be around pretty close to the last sighting, methinks, if all is as we've been told.

This is very odd to me, especially since they apparently found no trace of her. No hat. No beer can (mug -whatever it was). No trace.

There are always the unlikely-but-possible theories, such as abduction; voluntarily leaving, then something untoward happening afterward; animal attack, etc., but there being no evidence of such one really wonders.

We've also been offered no medical history, such as diabetes, dementia, etc. I'm beginning to think that Barbara isn't there. Was she ever? Not sure, but putting all the available information together, I'm starting to wonder.

My opinion on not hearing from her family is they are dealing with a dying father as BT’s nephew stated.

I can’t imagine being so far away and also having to deal with a missing daughter, sister too. Is their main source of communication with RT?

This is not a situation that is too comfortable for them as more time passes, LE announces BT has not been abducted, and searches have stopped. What a predicament to be in!
Very true...her poor family :(

I think any family involved in a missing person case like this has to walk a very fine line when it comes to the media...anything they say (or don't say) will always be taken the wrong way by someone out there. We've all seen so many cases where the spouse or partner is the one responsible...in the back of my mind, I'm always a little suspicious when I hear of cases like this even though I try to withhold judgment. So while I do kind of see silence as a red flag I can understand why even an innocent person may think the safest thing to do is just not talk about the case to the media. (All MOO, of course. I'm praying for a good outcome here.)
People will criticize family members who talk to the media as well as those who stay silent. It’s a double-edged sword.

People will criticize family members who talk to the media as well as those who stay silent. It’s a double-edged sword.

Exactly. And for most families, it's their first time dealing with a missing relative. They have no idea what they're supposed to do, and then they have cameras and microphones being shoved in their face. That's a terrible position to be in.

Yes, from this thread we've learned that many people DO go hiking in the desert in July wearing bikinis, etc. That is important information, in my mind. Moreso, that Barbara's family doesn't think it odd. That being said, other posters have pointed out that voluntarily going off the beaten path (literally) would likely result in much discomfort, as the area is rife with nasty prickly-type things. In trying to put together a likely scenario, it doesn't seem likely, at least to me, that Barbara wandered off the path voluntarily.

And, regarding the search. There are many times when searches don't initially find the lost person and then do so on the second look. However, I just wouldn't expect that in this case. This isn't a situation where someone went off hiking and their loved-one became concerned after he didn't show up after a few days, or the person was last seen at the trail head, setting out on a 10 mile hike. Barbara disappeared in a few minutes! Her husband searched within at least an hour of finding her missing, I believe, and the "official" search was robust, early in the disappearance, and had a known location, vs. "she was going to go hiking the abcde trail in the xyz national park". She had no supplies (water) and little defense from the elements. She has to be around pretty close to the last sighting, methinks, if all is as we've been told.

This is very odd to me, especially since they apparently found no trace of her. No hat. No beer can (mug -whatever it was). No trace.

There are always the unlikely-but-possible theories, such as abduction; voluntarily leaving, then something untoward happening afterward; animal attack, etc., but there being no evidence of such one really wonders.

We've also been offered no medical history, such as diabetes, dementia, etc. I'm beginning to think that Barbara isn't there. Was she ever? Not sure, but putting all the available information together, I'm starting to wonder.
Exactly. If she was there something would have shown up by now.

That’s where I’ve been since the beginning, and each passing day just reemphasizes that.

She was on a WALK, not a hike. And she didn’t walk off the face of the earth.

I do agree with this though totally sorell! :)

if she did try to leave I think it was likely at home and prepared and organized.
the bikini clad beer swigging, somebody picked her up (and that's from his mouth on video) for a good time just seems like a desperate picture of recklessness and frivory .
distraction?
she might be fit but she is also very tall,tiny and under weight.

speculative post. moo

Please let us not try to force the limited information to fit into a preconceived scenario.

For dear Barbara's sake, let us keep an open mind. She deserves our open minds.

I implore all of you, please let go of any & all preconceived notions. Please open your minds - listen to the Wind.

Listen to the Wind. You may be surprised what you hear, if you open your heart and your spirit ears.

I completely agree Steelslady! I just now noticed that the "header" for this thread has omitted the "bikini" statement which was in part what I was referring to in addition to the general comments. Clearly from my past posts I'm in complete agreement with you!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa