CA CA - Barbara Thomas, 69, from Bullhead City AZ, disappeared in Mojave desert, 12 July 2019 #5

Status
Not open for further replies.
Then perhaps case closed on the collie caper? In any case, both dogs are gorgeous and look wonderfully cared for. Hopefully Lexi will stand out in locals' minds to get a sense of Barbara's activities (walks, grooming, pet store visits, etc.) prior to their trip.

The loss of an owner is also impactful for pets; I can only hope that Robert and Lexi are providing each other at least some small semblance of comfort during this incredibly difficult time.

Welcome to WS @canteloupe ! Your posts are well thought out and insightful, thank you!

Bouncing off your post to @dbdb11 ...

Perhaps @dbdb11 can clear this up quickly so we don't continue down the path of which dog and the name/breed Barbara owns. Can you please tell us which dog she dropped off and if that dog is still in the kennel at this time? Was Barbara a frequent visitor to this specific kennel. TIA!!!

Based on my experience rescuing, fostering and transporting dogs it would be extremely dangerous to keep a long-haired dog in an air conditioned trailer for more than a few minutes in extreme temperatures in the desert. The dog would suffer terribly should the AC fail or the trailer lose power. Keep in mind SAR dogs are acclimated to long stints in extreme temperature unlike pets. BT’s dog would not do well on a hike in the desert for more than a brief period unless she is regularly exercised for longer periods in extreme heat. Which seems unlikely in light of the length of the beautiful dog’s coat.

Thanks so much for the info! There's been so much discussion on this in the past several posts. I was trying to get a handle on whether or not it would be odd for them to leave the pup. (There I go again. Sorry folks, I just mean an animal of the canine variety.)

I think that's laid to rest for me, for many reasons -that it would be hard on a dog not specifically trained for the heat of the hike; were they to leave him in the RV and the AC went out he would cook; and also due to the fact that this wasn't a one-time deal. They'd left him at the kennel before. So, I've crossed that off my list of, shall we say, "Helpful Facts".

However, I'm still interested in someone at the kennel noticing an unusual demeanor in Barbara. That is noteworthy, considering she disappeared within about five hours afterward. That's still on the Helpful Facts list.

Sorry; thought I bumped all the photos...this collie is thought to be in a 2009 photo. Another collie, a tricolor instead of a sable, was in later dates photos...” set 5” dbdb11 labeled it

A tail of two collies, indeed.

@SDHELPS very pleased to make your digital acquaintance!

A tail of two collies, indeed.

@SDHELPS very pleased to make your digital acquaintance!
Cantaloupe, thank you for your thoughtful and insightful posts! SDHELPS, you’ve done well also. I’m very appreciative to have found such a great community focused on helping to find out what happened to Barbara

Lexi reference was to the dog in set 5.
This dog is from set 2.
Respectfully, yes, you are correct if dbdb11’s dates are correct according to the sets. Rarely can a dog live 19 years

Oh dear....last sentence means bedtime for me, although the statement about dogs lifetime is true, 2009 wasn’t 19 years ago...the tale of two collies will not be mentioned again by me. Just makes me appreciate Barbara more, I grew up infatuated with collies; read all of Albert Payson Terhune’s books as a kid

Edited to add last paragraph

Last edited:
Respectfully, yes, you are correct if dbdb11’s dates are correct according to the sets. Rarely can a dog live 19 years

Oh dear....last sentence means bedtime for me, although the statement about dogs lifetime is true, 2009 wasn’t 19 years ago...the tale of two collies will not be mentioned again by me. Just makes me appreciate Barbara more, I grew up infatuated with collies; read all of Albert Payson Terhune’s books as a kid

Edited to add last paragraph
Oh my gosh. Lad, a Dog. Still makes me cry. I hope Lexi or whoever! Is getting lots of love

I’m not aware of a FB page for Barbara. Even if it’s an open page, the only info we can bring here is that posted by an admin. If it’s a closed group (members only) I don’t believe any info can come over here.

Not directed at you: I’m sensing some info is coming from private conversations here on WS. I’m all too aware how hard it is to keep track, but that info can’t come to the thread either.

Thank you for this post, Lilibet!

These last bunch of pages left me fruitlessly searching dbdb11’s posts to find where I must have missed him telling us about the kennel drop-off, but now I’m guessing this info was originally shared via private msg or other, because i didn’t find it.

Everyone? dbdb11 has posted that he shares things only after “careful consideration”, and wrote that he has an “instinctual feeling that not all relevant information should be shared publicly, or openly”. So, may I humbly suggest we all be careful with our postings out of respect for dbdb11, and our fellow posters. :)

Last edited:
Presumably because the absence of the dog on a camping trip could indicate a deviation from normal behavior for Barbara. If the couple camped frequently with the dog, then we should ask why not this time. If the dog was a frequent boarder, or had medical issues that prevented attendance on this particular excursion, then we might refocus our attention on Barbara's interactions with the kennel staff.
Excellent point, if I may say!

If this helps.. I am only looking at this case on this thread. I def read on this thread about the kennel drop off and name of the dog. So the info is all on here guys. As for which dog is Lexi in the photos, I personally don't see the relevance and can't answer that. Lexi isn't missing, Barb is, so hopefully we'll keep our focus on her.

An aside from me - IMO as a huge dog lover (clue in the avatar!) I DO think the kennel info is interesting. Barb's demeanour, whether it was usual practise, what has happened re the dog since she is missing...I believe these areas are absolutely worth exploring as far as we can. MOO.

As someone whose own Aunt is also still missing, this case really hits close to home for me. I can sympathize with many of the things you are going through. Many of the questions you have. Why? How could this have happened? All the different theories and thoughts running around in your head. It is my sincerest hope that you get answers soon and that your Aunt can be found. Please stay strong and make sure to take care of yourself.
I'm very glad to see you here, Hanyuu, and think of your aunt and family often. I'd like nothing better than to see Barbara's family and yours get the answers you need and your loved ones returned to you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member