Canada - Lucas Fowler, Chynna Deese, and Leonard Dyck, all murdered, Alaska Hwy, BC, Jul 2019 #13

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I'm just thinking out loud here and am welcome to thoughts about this.

I have always been uncomfortable thinking that Kam and Bryer left Port Alberni with the thought to kill. It just doesn't feel right.

What if.... they came across Lucas Fowler's van at the side of a straight stretch in the highway and decided to pull up behind it and check it out. If they thought it was abandoned for the night, maybe they decided to have some fun shooting it up.

Lucas and Chynna become aware of someone pulling up close (either headlights or engine noise) and sit up in bed. One of KM or BS take a shot at the back of the van and realize there are people in the van. LF jumps out of the van (with no shoes) to confront them and KM or BS shoot him in panic.

This is just my thought and I'm NOT in any way excusing them for what they did but I just have a hard time (from what I've read about KM and BS) thinking what they've done was planned.

Maybe they layed low and camped for a few days after the shooting until they came to grips with what they've done.

Eventually they calm down and decide to head home. Then they drive past signs on the highway, asking for dashcam video during those days. They assume they will be caught and both feel hopeless, too embarrassed to return home and too scared to spend years in jail.

And then the rest of the story happens...

Well, I'll stop there. It's just so hard to wrap my head around this.

Please know that I believe KM and BS are guilty. I'm just trying to wrap my head around why they would do this.

The van wasn't abandoned.

I'm not sure I understand what you mean. Of course, no one including LE knows who was near the van otherwise an arrest would have been made.

What makes you think they were never near that van?
They sure ran real far didn't they?

I could see that happening. But then where does the duo aspect go into all this? Did just one of them actually commit the shooting and the other one willingly threw away their life for no reason? I know they were really close, but....I feel like both of them were involved somehow. That's why robbery gone wrong seems like the likely answer to me. Because even if only one of them turned it from a robbery to a homicide, they have that felony murder law where both of them would be charged with murder.

Lucas's father said at the outset that it sounded like a robbery gone wrong. As a very senior police officer, he may well have had a lot more info that we weren't and still aren't privy to.

If they were then LE would have said. They only said 2nd degree murder charges in the Profs death, and suspects in the others. That means nothing to me, and prob not a lot to others following this case. It's my right to know what happened to these people. It's my right to know when I go on road trips, or my 22 yo daughter does that we aren't going to be a f'ing road kill.

Goodness, I don't even know where to begin replying to your response.

I wasn't talking about Professer Dyck's death at all.

If my reply about Luca's and Chynna's murder and the topic at hand means nothing to you, move on. For those you suggest it doesn't interest either, they can just ignore my posts. I'm okay with that.

It's my right to know what happened to these people. It's my right to know when I go on road trips, or my 22 yo daughter does that we aren't going to be a f'ing road kill.

I don't know where you live but you are absolutely entitled to know the news of a country or province you are visiting or living in. I suggest these links.

RCMP Manitoba (@rcmpmb) | Twitter

CBC News Alerts (@CBCAlerts) | Twitter

Last edited:
The van wasn't abandoned.
I have been wondering that if CD and LF had left the van to go down to relieve themselves, they might have felt safer going together in case of animals, and left the doors open, somebody could have pulled up and thought it was abandoned and started going through it, then an altercation?

The reason I'm wondering if Lucas and Chynna stayed in a pullout between Fort Nelson and Liard Hot Springs is because it tells us their state of mind when they were stranded on the side of the highway. They would have been relaxed in thinking that it was a beautiful place, they had plenty of food and water, why not stay the night and sort out the engine in the morning.

People are advised against, and discouraged from, staying alone overnight at pullouts, or on the side of a highway, anywhere in Canada for their safety and the safety of others. If everything worked out the first night, they would have been more relaxed doing it again.

No cost would have been another benefit.

A lot to unpack in all the recent updates and threads. Now that the unease is laid to rest of them still being alive and out there, my heart aches for every one involved, the victims & their families, BS and KM, and their families too.

To know your son/brother/grandson/nephew committed heinous acts and you didnt see it coming leaves a lot for their families to sift through and try to reason with. They will also be forever scarred from this situation and it will be a long time before they can return to any semblance of normalcy.

I am sure LE will eventually shed light onto how and why this happened, as much as they are able to share with the public, which will not be every thing.

The real take away from this for me is that hindsight is a *****, but how does anyone think these kind of things would be acted out by their loved one?

Whatever led up to the crimes, I think these were 2 young men who made some rash decisions for whatever reason, got incredibly out of their depth and just continued to make poor decisions as they panicked and saw no way out. Their bodies were found 8km from the burnt out RAV4, which is around a 2 hour walk, probably more based on the area they were in.

They probably hiked there, exhausted and just gave up on running, and ended their own internal battles at the same time. Really, they had to realize that if caught their next home would be prison and I suppose to them, death was a better alternative.

I in no way excuse any of their terrible choices over the last few weeks, but I do have sympathy for undiagnosed mental health problems and a lack of resources to remedy failing minds/lost souls.

A lot of families were torn apart during this entire ordeal. I particularly feel sad for KMs sister, as before his facebook was shut down the only posts visible to the public were ones where she had obviously gone onto his facebook and updated it with silly things like "(her name) is the best sister ever!!!" Etc.

Terrible all around. RIP to that beautiful couple and to that kindly looking botanist. I am a botanist as well so that one particularly hit close to home.

I agree with most of this, especially the sentiments of loss. However, apparently the walk from the Rav to the site where Kam & Bryer died includes a stop on the banks of the Nelson River.

No cost would have been another benefit.
Scary that there are warnings not to stop overnight in pullouts etc. in Canada. Is this because a truck could pull in and hit you, or is it because of crime issues? In Australia there are an increasing number of pullovers being made, with toilets, bbq areas etc. and they often have multiple cars and trucks stopped overnight, with designated car and truck areas. During peak holiday times local volunteer groups also offer tea/coffee and biscuits to encourage travellers going long distances for many hours to stop and take a break for safety. I have stayed at them many times, in a tiny car with two little children on long interstate trips in Oz!

Last edited:
Goodness, I don't even know where to begin replying to your response.

I wasn't talking about Professer Dyck's death at all.

If my reply about Luca's and Chynna's murder and the topic at hand means nothing to you, move on. For those you suggest it doesn't interest either, they can just ignore my posts. I'm okay with that.

I don't know where you live but you are absolutely entitled to know the news of a country or province you are visiting or living in. I suggest these links.

RCMP Manitoba (@rcmpmb) | Twitter

CBC News Alerts (@CBCAlerts) | Twitter
I don't think this poster was indicating they were incapable of finding news sites and needed you to guide them to them, I think they were indicating that they feel the public (including them) has the right to be told some information that has so far been withheld.

Last edited:
Unless I could see that one of the "airsoft" guns was obviously plastic, or quite small and lightweight looking, if someone was waving it at me in the half-dark or from a distance, there would be no way I would be able to guess if it was real or not. If they used the Airsoft gun to hold someone up, it was probably only Mr. Dyck, as CD and LF were reported to have died from being shot with a weapon powerful enough to kill them. It looks like these play guns can be a worry in regard to deciding if they are real or not in a hurry
The imitation game: Canada's laws around realistic air guns put police in a tough place

So I'm just thinking out loud here and am welcome to thoughts about this.

I have always been uncomfortable thinking that Kam and Bryer left Port Alberni with the thought to kill. It just doesn't feel right.

What if.... they came across Lucas Fowler's van at the side of a straight stretch in the highway and decided to pull up behind it and check it out. If they thought it was abandoned for the night, maybe they decided to have some fun shooting it up.

Lucas and Chynna become aware of someone pulling up close (either headlights or engine noise) and sit up in bed. One of KM or BS take a shot at the back of the van and realize there are people in the van. LF jumps out of the van (with no shoes) to confront them and KM or BS shoot him in panic.

This is just my thought and I'm NOT in any way excusing them for what they did but I just have a hard time (from what I've read about KM and BS) thinking what they've done was planned.

Maybe they layed low and camped for a few days after the shooting until they came to grips with what they've done.

Eventually they calm down and decide to head home. Then they drive past signs on the highway, asking for dashcam video during those days. They assume they will be caught and both feel hopeless, too embarrassed to return home and too scared to spend years in jail.

And then the rest of the story happens...

Well, I'll stop there. It's just so hard to wrap my head around this.

Please know that I believe KM and BS are guilty. I'm just trying to wrap my head around why they would do this.

I don’t disagree that it could have happened the way you describe.

However, it took less than a week for the 2nd murder to occur. That doesn’t show much in the way of regret/remorse. Also, the road worker who waited 4 hours with the van & murder victims on Monday morning when they were first discovered said glass was on the ground outside the van. It’s not enough information to make a conclusion, but he didn’t say the door was open. He said glass was on the ground behind the van. Also, and a lot of other scenarios have been conjectured since then, but I read early on that both victims were killed outside of the van, not inside. Their positions on the ground were noted as being odd & similar to each other.

Kam & Bryer lied about going to Whitehorse for work. They both had obsessions with killing. Three people are dead in their path. A vehicle is stolen. Two vehicles are torched. They drove enormous distances quickly & didn’t tell anyone why or where they were. They are both dead within a month of departure from home. As much as I wanted to find them innocent in the beginning, the evidence is against them.

Last edited:
What makes people think they were ever near the van until there is some type of proof or connection provided? Someone posted that they read that CM and BS were seen at the pink mountain camp ground at the same time as LE and CD were there, but so far not even a link has been offered to that?

Read back a few pages. Discussion revealed time & distance rule this out.

Looks like he was a kid on the loose parents didn’t have much control. Should be online soon after.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clancehan