Found Deceased Malaysia - Nora Quoirin, 15, from UK, special needs, missing on vacation, Seremban, 4 Aug 2019 #3

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm really interested in the local communities - I studied Social Anthropology at University, and I'd like to know more about their customs and attitudes towards "strangers". Presumably they were used to tourists at the Dunsun nearby, but how many "foreigners" visited? Could someone have tried to help Nora and is now scared to come forward because they don't trust the police?

Our attitudes towards foreigners are no different from any other country local community. We would think, "oh that person is tall" or "oh its a foreigners".

And Dusun resort are pretty famous among foreigner and malaysian, as vacation spot due its nature and hiking track.

Also, this would be our first time to receive "missing people" report more than 5 days. Usually, they would be founded after getting lost for 1 or 2 days.

Pardon for my english.

Our attitudes towards foreigners are no different from any other country local community. We would think, "oh that person is tall" or "oh its a foreigners".

And Dusun resort are pretty famous among foreigner and malaysian, as vacation spot due its nature and hiking track.

Also, this would be our first time to receive "missing people" report more than 5 days. Usually, they would be founded after getting lost for 1 or 2 days.

Pardon for my english.

Thank you for this, I wasn't implying any malice towards indigenous people here, just wondering how much contact there was, and what the reaction/communication might be had someone found Nora. I realise this is all speculation and it totally depends on the individuals involved ....

I'm really interested in the local communities - I studied Social Anthropology at University, and I'd like to know more about their customs and attitudes towards "strangers". Presumably they were used to tourists at the Dunsun nearby, but how many "foreigners" visited? Could someone have tried to help Nora and is now scared to come forward because they don't trust the police?

Barefoot? If Nora left in a panic or drawn to something, would she have noticed being barefoot initially? If the ground was muddy this could feel really nice under foot, but in this case surely footprints would've been found, either of Nora, or her "abductor"?

I wish we knew more about Nora's level of communication.
Come on, 'muddy ground could feel nice'.
What about all the sticking out stones on the trail that prick into the bare feet for more than 2km? Look up the trail. See -for instance- the images in the link of post 388.

Because Malaysia forest at night are very noisy. Especially when you stay in the middle of thick-forest.

But that just makes it more confusing. Wouldn’t it have gotten even louder inside the house when she suddenly opened the window?

If you guys need more "clearer" vision on how "trail" looks like,

Hiking & Gardening: Lata Berembun, Negeri Sembilan

Refer here. I used to come here for hiking, few years back. And yea, im malaysian so this would help you guys to assume how malaysian forest trail looks like.

Its actually plausible for you to barefoot, walking through those trail. I even walked barefooted, because its much more easier to navigate your path, though it would be much more dangerous with insect, and stuff.

Last edited:
I've woken up this morning with a very heavy heart for Nora, her parents but also her siblings. What a tough, tough thing to go through.

I've just seen the BBC TV news reporter say he spoke to one of the hikers who found her and reported they said to him "they found the body close to a stream, an L shape area of the stream, it wasn't sure if it was the in the water or on the bank but the stream was shallow but were unsure if the stream is connected to the river that flows through the Dusun resort."

He went on to say a news report with lots of questions would be around 10:00am UK time (that is approximately 2 hours from now).

He went on to say both the French and UK Embassies are helping the family and the Lucy Blackman Trust too (who support missing people abroad) and that they have a lawyer in place in case this becomes a criminal case.

He also said it was difficult terrain to search, thick Jungle and it would trip them up, there was mud, vines, boulders and all sorts of nasty things including a snake.

Disclaimer: i am not blaming anyone.

I’m curious about why people do not suspect it was a/the parent(s). Typically that is our first theory and it’s most often correct. Given that a stranger abduction is incredibly rare, why does that seem to be the theory here?<snipped by Amonet>

We're not allowed to be too open with suspicions of any individual on this board until/unless they're named as a person of interest.

On some cases the comments of suspect turn up despite that rule, and they're usually moderated out if they're reported. It's rare for them to be allowed to stand.

We can speculate whether something like that might be possible in private, off the boards, but not openly accuse on the boards.

Family of Nora Quoirin will not demand criminal investigation

I don’t understand this report. If the family was adamant right from the start that “a crime has been committed”, as the father was screaming at 8am upon the discovery of nina being missing, why not demand a criminal investigation?

Also, it took them 5 days to explain Nora’s brain condition. When she was first missing, she was described as having mild learning difficulty. They should have spoken about her rate condition sooner so all alarms would be rung.

Rest in peace Nora.

Twitter

A postmortem to determine Nora Quoirin’s cause of death was scheduled for 10am this morning. Police are due to update media at 5pm. Criminal investigators have been at the area where her body was found and the results will inform what they do next

Thank you for that.

The presser will be in one and a half hours.

Have you been toMalaysia?

Kids are missing on holidays in Greece (Ben Needham), Portugal (Madeleine McCann), Aruba ... etc etc but that didn’t destroy tourism. Tunisia and Malaysia may be both classified as 3rd world but culturally and infact geographically super different, let alone people’s attitude to tourism. Malaysia also has other sources of income (and oil too) and not subsisting solely on tourism to try and cover up crimes committed on foreign nationals , just to preserve it. Of course, any country would not want to damage its reputation, so I guess that’s what the Malaysians are striving for. MOO

I think the area in Portugal did suffer for a year or two tourist wise but it picked back up again, I believe.

I thought we deduced the balcony area is open and no windows there so the entire property is open from the balcony?

Yes, the front up and downstairs is open to the jungle experience.

Which again begs the question how significant is this window being open. Could have been left open and no one noticed.

I don’t understand this report. If the family was adamant right from the start that “a crime has been committed”, as the father was screaming at 8am upon the discovery of nina being missing, why not demand a criminal investigation?

Also, it took them 5 days to explain Nora’s brain condition. When she was first missing, she was described as having mild learning difficulty. They should have spoken about her rate condition sooner so all alarms would be rung.

Rest in peace Nora.

I think there is a lot lost in translation, and I mean that literally and in terms of police investigation. Also, the family are in a strange country and dealing with the raw emotions of not knowing what happened to Nora. I presume the police were aware of her brain condition, did it matter that the world's media were not? I'm guessing so long as the people looking for her were aware of her special needs, that's what mattered.
I'm torn on the 8am "crime" call .... how do any of us know how we would react? Panic for sure, and you're somewhere strange and foreign, and you are certain you know your child well enough to know she would not simply walk off .... the window being open ... I think the "crime" call is a scream for help, for someone to realise the seriousness ... and remember, English isn't SQ's first language either ....

To say anyone is xenophobic is a massive dramatisation of what is being said. Common sense will tell you that no country, especially one that relies on tourism funds so much, will want a child holidaymaker murder on their hands. It’s for that very reason plus lack of ANY evidence that they grasped onto the missing person tag for so long, no one would want to cause a knee jerk reaction unnecessarily, especially when eyes from Britain, Ireland and France are watching the case unfold.

Take Tunisia for eg, the ISIS attack in Sousse took the country to their knees, countries wouldn’t put flights on or offer holiday packages for a long time, countless hotels closed, thousands left unemployed, the place was barren because of that incident. It is fair to make judgment that there could be a possibility that the Malaysian government/police will want to keep this as under wraps as they can within reason, luckily there are representatives from various countries over there who will hopefully oversee proceedings.

IMO, and it’s only MO, I believe there are only 2 options in this case:

The first one being that Nora left the room herself, no one would be concerned about her making her way downstairs to use the bathroom, I believe she then left, got lost and ended up having a terrible accident.

If it turns out that there’s a form of foul play involved I do not believe that she was abducted from the room, they had only arrived that day, not enough time to allow a perpetrator to scope the situation, their habits etc. A perpetrator runs a massive risk of being caught when not prepared. I believe if some harm has came to Nora at the hands of someone else that this could only of happened when she was wandering about the forest unaccompanied and it was an opportunist situation.

Someone mentioned Alisha McFall earlier as a comparison - yes, she was taken from her grandparents home without anyone being alerted but remember, she was taken by a family friend (I use that term lightly), who knew the family dynamics and their routine, it wasn’t an opportunist abduction.

Hmmmm, the analogy to a country suffering a post-terrorist attack is unsustainable. It takes ANY city or a country some time to get over a terrorist attack, that’s given.

I remember taking my child to Paris not long after Bataclan tragedy and people around me were saying to me, like, are you serious .... In case anyone reckons that Bataclan did not involve any foreign national - there was a huge Airbnb conference going on at the same time and in the vicinity.

This is/was a case of a missing child.

I think there is a lot lost in translation, and I mean that literally and in terms of police investigation. Also, the family are in a strange country and dealing with the raw emotions of not knowing what happened to Nora. I presume the police were aware of her brain condition, did it matter that the world's media were not? I'm guessing so long as the people looking for her were aware of her special needs, that's what mattered.
I'm torn on the 8am "crime" call .... how do any of us know how we would react? Panic for sure, and you're somewhere strange and foreign, and you are certain you know your child well enough to know she would not simply walk off .... the window being open ... I think the "crime" call is a scream for help, for someone to realise the seriousness ... and remember, English isn't SQ's first language either ....
I agree with you! All these reports are also very confusing and misleading.

SQ lives in London so his English must be as good as mine. In any case, water under the bridge!

Rest in peace Nora.

This is from the article, from the family lawyer;

"
The family’s lawyer Sankara N. Nair said: “They won’t press for anything because in this country, even in most countries, it has to be done by the police rather than you pressing for anything.

“They have to go on evidence. The family is totally distraught. Totally overwhelmed.”

The part I bolded - Maybe they know now there isn't any evidence of anything criminal?...or at least so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member