NJ - Carolyn Byington, 26, killed inside her home, Plainsboro, 10 June 2019 *Arrest*

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was just about to type the same thing. Adjunct professors do not make a lot of money and she’s at a small college in Jersey. Also, they live in Lindenwold which is a high crime and not a good area.
Lindenwold is not that bad. My daughter-in-law's sister and husband have lived there for a long while with no problems. They like it ok. . Close to train station to Philly and AC so may be part of their reason. Rowan probably pays a fairly decent income per class but couldn't live on that alone. My friend is an adjunct there and he is a retired teacher so is just supplemental income for him.

Lindenwold is not that bad. My daughter-in-law's sister and husband have lived there for a long while with no problems. They like it ok. . Close to train station to Philly and AC so may be part of their reason. Rowan probably pays a fairly decent income per class but couldn't live on that alone. My friend is an adjunct there and he is a retired teacher so is just supplemental income for him.

I guess it depends where you live in Lindenwold because statistically it does have a higher crime rate.
“The chance of becoming a victim of either violent or property crime in Lindenwold is 1 in 28. Based on FBI crime data, Lindenwold is not one of the safest communities in America. Relative to New Jersey, Lindenwold has a crime rate that is higher than 92% of the state's cities and towns of all sizes.”

Trust me, as an adjunct prof (been there/done that) income payment is per class and is not the best income. And classes you can teach are limited. If you teach more than, say 3, you have to be considered full time and receive salary and benefits. And number of classes each semester are not guaranteed nor is whether a class will actually run or not, due to number of students signing up. fwiw

ETA Clean up autocorrect typos
Agreed, from personal experience. Adjuncts unlikely to be making a lot of money.

IMO, this is personal but I don't think she was involved with this guy. It's more likely that he was obsessed with her, both attracted to her and also jealous - a combination that can simmer and eventually rage.

I'm very curious what ruse he used to get her to the apartment during lunch. I don't think it was to meet him to talk as they could do that anywhere. Did he ask to borrow something of hers? Or return a borrowed item?

jmo

I was walking my dog earlier this morning and a maintenance man came up to me and said, “What a relief, Huh”. I asked him if the staff knew it wasn’t a random person and he said we had no idea. We were also kept in the dark.

I was walking my dog earlier this morning and a maintenance man came up to me and said, “What a relief, Huh”. I asked him if the staff knew it wasn’t a random person and he said we had no idea. We were also kept in the dark.

Wow- very stressful for the workers there as well as I'm sure they were under suspicion by police.

Some of the aspects of this case remind me of Dani Stickliski (sorry for the misspelling) who went missing after her coworker disappeared her. It was unclear whether they were having a relationship or he was just an obsessed creep who created a ruse to get her to follow him to his house, or something like that.

It IS possible that Carolyn was "drawn home" by an unrelated issue, mentioned it to this guy, and he saw it as his opportunity to isolate her and kill her, for whatever sick twisted motive he had, perhaps slipping in behind her as she went into her apartment (although neighbors say she was alone). On the other hand, it does seem easier and more logical that it was a planned meeting from a logistical standpoint but more puzzling if she did have a relationship with him. If that was the case, hopefully LE knows the timing. Did she leave first from the office, he followed immediately or a little after? The timing would be really critical.

He does perhaps sound like an injustice collector - the keying of cars, the lying, maybe he was also a narcissist sociopath.

I’m going to guess that he asked to borrow something from her and that’s why she would agree to meet him there over lunch break. Why he wanted to kill her is a whole other question. He may have tried to attack her and she resisted.

Wow- very stressful for the workers there as well as I'm sure they were under suspicion by police.

And the general public, on social media especially. Even on WS people were pretty quick to jump to conclusions about maintenance workers. People on here were saying to fire all of the *innocent* maintenance workers!!! Poor guys are just trying to make a living.

Also, they live in Lindenwold which is a high crime and not a good area.

SBM for focus.

I am not sure that all of Lindenwold is as you describe. That said, many very good people live in areas where there is crime and are "not a good area" and survive/thrive. Sometimes we live where we can afford.

Horrible crimes happen because of horrible people which can be unrelated to where the horrible person lives or grows up. This monster grew up not in Lindenwold but in a nicer area, had access to excellent undergrad (Pace University) and graduate (Monmouth University) programs.

Not related to your post but there was lots of question about the low level employees in the apartment complex and others who work low level jobs in the area. Turns out these hardworking people are totally innocent and a highly educated man is the culprit.

SBM for focus.

I am not sure that all of Lindenwold is as you describe. That said, many very good people live in areas where there is crime and are "not a good area" and survive/thrive. Sometimes we live where we can afford.

Horrible crimes happen because of horrible people which can be unrelated to where the horrible person lives or grows up. This monster grew up not in Lindenwold but in a nicer area, had access to excellent undergrad (Pace University) and graduate (Monmouth University) programs.

Not related to your post but there was lots of question about the low level employees in the apartment complex and others who work low level jobs in the area. Turns out these hardworking people are totally innocent and a highly educated man is the culprit.

I agree 100 %. My post wasn’t meant to insult anyone or to infer that good people don’t live in Lindenwold. Prior discussions suggested that he may have been having financial difficulties and I way trying to convey that he may have been living in Lindenwold due to financial difficulties. I apologize if anyone was offended by my post.

I agree 100 %. My post wasn’t meant to insult anyone or to infer that good people don’t live in Lindenwold. Prior discussions suggested that he may have been having financial difficulties and I way trying to convey that he may have been living in Lindenwold due to financial difficulties. I apologize if anyone was offended by my post.

Thanks for the reply. I am not offended. I get what you meant now.

I guess it depends where you live in Lindenwold because statistically it does have a higher crime rate.
“The chance of becoming a victim of either violent or property crime in Lindenwold is 1 in 28. Based on FBI crime data, Lindenwold is not one of the safest communities in America. Relative to New Jersey, Lindenwold has a crime rate that is higher than 92% of the state's cities and towns of all sizes.”
Doesn't sound too good does it? But like you said, it's not all bad. Towns all blend into each other along the White Horse Pike anyway...difficult to tell when you're in Lindenwold or another town.

Last edited:
According to your link, he stabbed And bludgeoned her. Brutal & vicious!
It sounds like there was some rage involved here -- if so, why? Did he make a pass at her and she rebuffed him? Did he talk with her as if he were single? Did he think she said something about him at work to make him look bad? Did she find out he was married and then ask him to leave her alone and to refrain from trying to have a personal relationship? Who knoze? Just random thoughts. Something set this man off, IMO.

No worries on my part. Statistics are what they are. I just know from people who live there (and I have taken the train from that station and left my car in the lot) that it's not all about the numbers.

My husband grew up in Camden, for example. Different time and era, but things aren't always what they seem.

ETA to add, sometimes these towns that have train stations have crime that is related to that. Those who don't live there hop on the train and vandalize, rob, etc those in the town or even the parking lot of the station. FWIW, a friend of mine who lives in another more affluent town along the same train line had her Mini Cooper stolen right out of her driveway, found later due to GPS in a different town.

Last edited:
It sounds like there was some rage involved here -- if so, why? Did he make a pass at her and she rebuffed him? Did he talk with her as if he were single? Did he think she said something about him at work to make him look bad? Did she find out he was married and then ask him to leave her alone and to refrain from trying to have a personal relationship? Who knoze? Just random thoughts. Something set this man off, IMO.

There's obviously a million reasons, but when a man kills a woman it's often about control. The fact that there was no SA (that we know of) makes me think it's less likely he was rebuffed by her, but who knows.

There's obviously a million reasons, but when a man kills a woman it's often about control. The fact that there was no SA (that we know of) makes me think it's less likely he was rebuffed by her, but who knows.
I think it might have been a mix of misogyny and professional jealously. I doubt she was about to uncover anything he did on the job as I don't think her role in the company would have access to his work at that detail-level, but perhaps she requested not to work with him on project and he found out about it. Or, maybe she made a disparaging remark in a meeting about his work that offended him. Or she left him out of a clique at work - perhaps she was well-liked and he wasn't. I don't think it will be necessarily a "big" issue, but some slight that set him off and made him want to take her down.

jmo

So great to hear they have the DNA evidence. Have no idea how his attorney could talk way out of that. You are right-- I never realized how long it takes to properly solve a case.
Did he wear gloves? Fingerprint evidence would be valuable, too. On the doorknobs, furniture, doorbell?

And that one word which has already been discussed:
MOTIVE​
Did she or someone else file an expense report and never received reimbursement? What made them start looking at him? Someone already mentioned her filing a complaint against him to the Personnel/Employee Dept., etc. Had there been others against him?
Motive is not required for a conviction, but jurors want to know(and so do we!) -- it can be very strong evidence in a crime and adds to the strength of a jury conviction.
Why? Why her?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member