OH Pike Co., 8 in Rhoden Family Murdered Over Custody Issue, 4 Members Wagner Family Arrested #50

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can hardly wait until Wednesday for RN's hearing. Anyone interested in predicting what will happen? If I understand correctly, we will see an appearance from someone subpeoned. I have high hope that RN will go to jail immediately after the hearing for conversing with AW. Her case is very different from FW's, and I hope AC is about to put this one forward. But I just don't know. Have not had the time to research as I once did. And I know I'm an oddball because I highly value research and without it, just see opinions as a dime a dozen. Of course some on here have advantages because they knew the victims and/or know the Wagners. To me that makes both prejudiced. I knew or know either. I'm just a true realist and can never ever justify these 8 murders or letting the guilty ones get off! All we know is there has never been any suspects except the Wagners and we have seen very little of the massive evidence which all points to them. Do I think there are accomplices? You bet I do! And we will be stunned at what all is about to unfold in trials! JMO Thoughts?

Last edited:
Please please post your guesses for the outcome of RN hearing Wednesday. We must keep posting our heartfelt responses!! Justice for the Rhodens and Hannah Gilley!!!
I think she should have her bond revoked and should go to jail. Setting a precedent that the Gag Orders mean Nothing would be very bad for the Judge and prosecution. That my opinion

Please please post your guesses for the outcome of RN hearing Wednesday. We must keep posting our heartfelt responses!! Justice for the Rhodens and Hannah Gilley!!!
IMO I believe she will go back to jail. She flagrantly disobeyed and needs to face the repercussions. The most important part of her actions is they discussed the case. Unless the defense can prove it was only discussions on “what time is your trial/Mine is @____,” I don’t see any other recourse , especially since it’s been recorded. Jmoo

I'm reluctant to guess since we don't know exactly what happened, who was most at fault or how much information was shared. My guesses often wrong.:oops: JMO, she should go back to jail. It will be an interesting test to see how the judge handles it.

Please tell us who you think the accomplices were and what they did? I do think its very likely others knew they were the killers. At minimum, the young woman who claims to be the wife of JW shared some info. Also seems someone may have talked talked about searching the well on the W Peterson Rd property.

Last edited:
Well, I never thought of that! About the cost of the prosecution, I only think in terms of cost for the defense. As I look into it, it appears that the cost quotes include the prosecution.

Pike County needs help paying for trials in Rhoden family murders

COLUMBUS, Ohio (AP) — Ohio's attorney general says the state should cover the majority of the costs for prosecuting the four suspects in the slayings of eight people in an Ohio county.

Officials in Pike County estimate they'll spend well over $1 million on the upcoming cases involving the 2016 killings of eight members of the Rhoden family.

State Attorney General Dave Yost said Thursday he doesn't want the costs to cripple the small county in southern Ohio.
He feels the state should pick up all of the costs, outside of salaries for those handling the case.

Pike County gets $100,000, promises more, to help with Rhoden case - Portsmouth Daily Times

Attorney General Yost was in Waverly Thursday to hand over a $100,000 check to Pike County Commissioners, what he repeatedly called a “down payment” on costs associated with prosecuting the eight Rhoden family murders in 2016.

Yost estimated the final costs of moving forward with the prosecutions could run into “seven figures.”

“We hate to even put these numbers out there,” Pike County Commissioner Blaine Beekman told the Daily Times in November. Nevertheless, at the time, Beekman estimated the cost of the Rhoden case might land somewhere between $2 million and $4 million.

Yost talked about his biggest nightmare during his days as a prosecutor was having to pay for a murder case.

Pike County Commissioners, all three of whom were on hand Thursday morning, indicated the entire Pike County annual general fund budget sits at about $10 million. Obviously, a seven-figure tab for the Rhoden case is not going to go unnoticed on the county’s balance sheet.

Actually I'm surprised Pike County gets 10 million to operate, only because I've read so many articles claiming there is not enough money in the budget to pay for this or to pay for that, quoting they have alot less or I'm misunderstanding. (just opinion) o_O
Actually 10m operating budget isn’t that large relatively speaking. Neighboring Adams co has annual budget over 170m. The largest portion of this budget comes from property taxes. So essentially, the residents of Pike co benefit from a 10m budget from services provided. IMO this budget isn’t enough to pay for the prosecution of the Wagners and maintenance for Pike Co. It’s the states responsibility JMO

SS

I'm reluctant to guess since we don't know exactly what happened, who was most at fault or how much information was shared. My guesses often wrong.:oops: JMO, she should go back to jail. It will be an interesting test to see how the judge handles it.

Please tell us who you think the accomplices were and what they did? I do think its very likely others knew they were the killers. At minimum, the young woman who claims to be the wife of JW shared some info. Also seems someone may have talked talked about searching the well on the W Peterson Rd property.
Your right Betty, she talked it’s in the discovery if I read it right, she talked about something and that’s why she was getting the death threats that she spoke about, we will be surprised when it all comes out and if the court show pictures of the crime scene that will alone will put the 4 Wagners in jail, that’s why Angela doesn’t want them showed, she knows what they look like, the Wagners didn’t stay at the crime scene long after the killing, when the BCI interview Jake and Angela in Alaska Jake spoke about LE showing the photos of the crime scene to him, the Wagners know it was bad, JMO

IMO I believe she will go back to jail. She flagrantly disobeyed and needs to face the repercussions. The most important part of her actions is they discussed the case. Unless the defense can prove it was only discussions on “what time is your trial/Mine is @____,” I don’t see any other recourse , especially since it’s been recorded. Jmoo

AC said in open court they were very lengthy discussions, and they even acknowledged that they were not supposed to be talking. I believe she also said their cases were discussed. JMO

Thanks, Betty. Yes, I believe the new wife of JW will be a witness for the state. But I doubt they told her much.

Also, I can't name names of some I think are helpers on here, since they haven't been arrested. One person went out of her way to get close to Dana and Lil Chris and hung out with them ALOT those months before the murders. She was present when the fight with all the boys was about to happen. She is friends with the Wagners. Her and hubby came into some money after the murders and were happy. Now they are separated and hate each other. A very good source told me they believe this hubby or wife could be the John Doe listed in the indictments. IDK, all my opinion. But AC knows and will get to the bottom of this. JMO

Actually 10m operating budget isn’t that large relatively speaking. Neighboring Adams co has annual budget over 170m. The largest portion of this budget comes from property taxes. So essentially, the residents of Pike co benefit from a 10m budget from services provided. IMO this budget isn’t enough to pay for the prosecution of the Wagners and maintenance for Pike Co. It’s the states responsibility JMO

SS

Welcome SS!

Can hardly wait until Wednesday for RN's hearing. Anyone interested in predicting what will happen? If I understand correctly, we will see an appearance from someone subpeoned. I have high hope that RN will go to jail immediately after the hearing for conversing with AW. Her case is very different from FW's, and I hope AC is about to put this one forward. But I just don't know. Have not had the time to research as I once did. And I know I'm an oddball because I highly value research and without it, just see opinions as a dime a dozen. Of course some on here have advantages because they knew the victims and/or know the Wagners. To me that makes both prejudiced. I knew or know either. I'm just a true realist and can never ever justify these 8 murders or letting the guilty ones get off! All we know is there has never been any suspects except the Wagners and we have seen very little of the massive evidence which all points to them. Do I think there are accomplices? You bet I do! And we will be stunned at what all is about to unfold in trials! JMO Thoughts?

The subpoenaed person probably won't testify until trial because Judge Deering has all this other evidence to go through and Motions to rule on:

1.) All the jail phone call transcripts and arguments in the defense Motion to not revoke bail. And of course the prosecution's argument's to revoke bail.

Regarding that, Deering could choose to:

Give a warning -- impose more restrictive bail conditions -- increase amount of bail -- hold her in contempt of court -- and of course revoke her bail all together, in which case she may loose some money by forfeiture.

2.) Then there is this Motion to deal with:

“Defendant respectfully requests the court to issue an order dismissing counts one, two and three of the indictment as venue is not in Pike County, Ohio,” Gerlach’s motion concludes.

According to the motion Gerlach filed, “the custody documents in question in the indictment do not indicate where the alleged forgery took place. At all times relevant, defendant was a resident in Scioto County and did not have transportation to Pike County.”

Gerlach goes on to claim an attorney for the prosecution told defense counsel the documents were taken to Newcomb’s home in Scioto County “where they were allegedly notarized by the defendant.”
There is no indication on the documents as to where they were signed or notarized.

3.) Then there are these matters to clear up:

Gerlach and prosecutors still apparently are arguing over some discovery issues and defense requests for interrogatories, that is written questions formally put to one party or another in a legal case. If the prosecution denies supplying answers to defendant’s interrogatories, Gerlach is asking the court to prevent the prosecution from using certain evidence.

As for how I think Judge Deering will rule on the Motion to Revoke Bail -- I see him either being lenient and giving her a warning, or going harsh and revoking her bail. I just don't see him taking the middle ground and upping her bail amount or adding more restrictions to her already restrictive ankle-monitored house arrest -- It will be -- lenient or harsh or middle ground...o_O

This isn't good:

"...Deering stated he takes very seriously any violations of the terms of Newcomb’s release, but added conversations between Newcomb and Wagner in which they discussed the case would exacerbate the situation..."

Also it showed disrespect to Judge Deering's ruling on no contact when Angie and Rita admitted they shouldn't be talking, yet they continued it and kept on with their lengthy discussions which shows they don't take judge Deering seriously.

Improper phone conversations topic of hearing - Portsmouth Daily Times

:cool:....My 2 Cents....Other points of view welcomed!...;)

SS

Agree @Specialsauce64. Welcome, put on your seatbelt, bumpy ride ahead! LOL...:p

Last edited:
Thanks, Betty. Yes, I believe the new wife of JW will be a witness for the state. But I doubt they told her much.

Also, I can't name names of some I think are helpers on here, since they haven't been arrested. One person went out of her way to get close to Dana and Lil Chris and hung out with them ALOT those months before the murders. She was present when the fight with all the boys was about to happen. She is friends with the Wagners. Her and hubby came into some money after the murders and were happy. Now they are separated and hate each other. A very good source told me they believe this hubby or wife could be the John Doe listed in the indictments. IDK, all my opinion. But AC knows and will get to the bottom of this. JMO

Thanks! Didn't mean to put you on the spot, yes naming names would be against TOS. The hints were good enough and we'll just call them speculation to be safe. :cool:

Also on a somewhat related topic, here's some interesting news

FBI Warns of 'Public Corruption Threat' in Legal Marijuana Industry

Here's the FBI's podcast about it

FBI, This Week: Public Corruption Threat Emerges in Marijuana Industry | Federal Bureau of Investigation

The subpoenaed person probably won't testify until trial because Judge Deering has all this other evidence to go through and Motions to rule on:

1.) All the jail phone call transcripts and arguments in the defense Motion to not revoke bail. And of course the prosecution's argument's to revoke bail.

Regarding that, Deering could choose to:

Give a warning -- impose more restrictive bail conditions -- increase amount of bail -- hold her in contempt of court -- and of course revoke her bail all together, in which case she may loose some money by forfeiture.

2.) Then there is this Motion to deal with:

“Defendant respectfully requests the court to issue an order dismissing counts one, two and three of the indictment as venue is not in Pike County, Ohio,” Gerlach’s motion concludes.

According to the motion Gerlach filed, “the custody documents in question in the indictment do not indicate where the alleged forgery took place. At all times relevant, defendant was a resident in Scioto County and did not have transportation to Pike County.”

Gerlach goes on to claim an attorney for the prosecution told defense counsel the documents were taken to Newcomb’s home in Scioto County “where they were allegedly notarized by the defendant.”
There is no indication on the documents as to where they were signed or notarized.

3.) Then there are these matters to clear up:

Gerlach and prosecutors still apparently are arguing over some discovery issues and defense requests for interrogatories, that is written questions formally put to one party or another in a legal case. If the prosecution denies supplying answers to defendant’s interrogatories, Gerlach is asking the court to prevent the prosecution from using certain evidence.

As for how I think Judge Deering will rule on the Motion to Revoke Bail -- I see him either being lenient and giving her a warning, or going harsh and revoking her bail. I just don't see him taking the middle ground and upping her bail amount or adding more restrictions to her already restrictive ankle-monitored house arrest -- It will be -- lenient or harsh or middle ground...o_O

This isn't good:

"...Deering stated he takes very seriously any violations of the terms of Newcomb’s release, but added conversations between Newcomb and Wagner in which they discussed the case would exacerbate the situation..."

Also it showed disrespect to Judge Deering's ruling on no contact when Angie and Rita admitted they shouldn't be talking, yet they continued it and kept on with their lengthy discussions which shows they don't take judge Deering seriously.

Improper phone conversations topic of hearing - Portsmouth Daily Times

:cool:....My 2 Cents....Other points of view welcomed!...;)

Agree @Specialsauce64. Welcome, put on your seatbelt, bumpy ride ahead! LOL...:p

:rolleyes::oops:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member