Canada - Lucas Fowler, Chynna Deese, and Leonard Dyck, all murdered, Alaska Hwy, BC, Jul 2019 #18

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know if employers like Walmart in Canada require police checks (or whatever you call them in Canada!), but I doubt if BS and CM had a history of violence and criminal behaviour they would be offered jobs there. Nothing has been said about this all along that I have seen.
Criminal record checks need to be completed as part of the Walmart hiring experience. At least this is the case in Alberta and I would think the policy is similar across Canada.

I don't know if employers like Walmart in Canada require police checks (or whatever you call them in Canada!), but I doubt if BS and CM had a history of violence and criminal behaviour they would be offered jobs there. Nothing has been said about this all along that I have seen.
There is no point in anyone to doing a criminal background check on someone who is 18, because juvenile criminal records are sealed. Which means no one has access. I believe possibly if a juvenile was charged as an adult, you might get a hit, but they would have had to be VERY young when they committed the crime to not still be in jail.

Since BC age of majority is 19, would an 18-year-old (which Bryer was when he worked at WM) have an expunged record or would they have to wait until 19?

There is no point in anyone to doing a criminal background check on someone who is 18, because juvenile criminal records are sealed. Which means no one has access. I believe possibly if a juvenile was charged as an adult, you might get a hit, but they would have had to be VERY young when they committed the crime to not still be in jail.
Sure there is a point in doing a criminal records check on an 18 year old. They may have committed a crime since their 18th birthday or as the case in BC, 19.

SBM

In support of this, I keep thinking of the ridiculous movies we see today (ala 007 or vigilantes saving the day/Earth) in which ridiculous means and actions are displayed when, for example, the good guys swing on a clothesline, land on top of a garbage truck, jump onto the roof of a moving car and "surf" it to the next ridiculous and unlikely escape path.

When I think of this stuff, it makes me wonder if these two actually thought that they would continue across the country/world performing miraculous and last-minute escape stunts.

Far fetched, maybe, but these "entertainment" venues are ubiquitous these days. Add video games to the mix and its a poor recipe for young minds to formulate unrealistic ideas and ideals.
Buster Keaton, the Keystone Cops, Harry Houdini and Charlie Chaplin did all those dangerous stunts for real in the beginning of the last century, millions of movie goers flocked to watch them in the cinema every week. I don't see a relevance but it's often brought up as we move from generation to generation, that the music of the time, the current trend of movies or video games are to blame, that they're a bad influence.

Horror movies were/are often based on real sadistic crimes that were committed before video games and the internet were even invented. The mind of killers are wired differently due to various reasons, head trauma, nature/nuture etc. and these entertainment sources aid their fantasies, not imo, create them. It is fascinating to the outsider though, when 2 like minded individuals find each other and team up to kill. JMO

Since BC age of majority is 19, would an 18-year-old (which Bryer was when he worked at WM) have an expunged record or would they have to wait until 19?

Juvenile files are sealed until age 19 at which time they’re expunged is my understanding. The names of young offenders are also never released to the media.

Sure there is a point in doing a criminal records check on an 18 year old. They may have committed a crime since their 18th birthday or as the case in BC, 19.
I mean that 18 is under 19, the age of majority in BC, so there would be no records.✌

That was the point I was attempting to make, you cannot compare cases you’ve followed in the US to cases in Canada. We are a different country. Here there’s no advantage to local Police Departments attempting to gain public approval by leaking information because they are not elected or appointed by political parties. They just do their job, even if the public becomes annoyed when they hold information about investigations tight to their chest - that’s what they’re supposed to do, known as confidentiality.

Yeah that information rarely comes from the police in the US either. The police aren't going to release information here prematurely either, so as not to compromise the trial or investigation. That information almost always comes from people who knew the suspect. Whenever I see articles about those kinds of cases, it's always interviews of people who knew them.

What do you mean "even if"? When you turn 18 they are wiped clean. No ifs, ands , or buts about it.

So we have zero knowledge of their prior criminal history.

Ok but I'm sure people around town would have known about it. Gossip gets around in a small town. Especially if their prior criminal activity was anything violent. And so far nobody has said anything.

Criminal record checks need to be completed as part of the Walmart hiring experience. At least this is the case in Alberta and I would think the policy is similar across Canada.
Managing criminal records | Royal Canadian Mounted Police
That's a link to the RCMP's site, not Walmart's policy, did you post the wrong link?

I could easily be wrong, but I think, in Canada, an employer can only ask for a criminal background check in certain situations, like in positions of authority over minors and other vulnerable populations, positions of trust, like letter carriers etc.

ETA It's another side of presumed innocence...

Last edited:
That's a link to the RCMP's site, not Walmart's policy, did you post the wrong link?

I could easily be wrong, but I think, in Canada, an employer can only ask for a criminal background check in certain situations, like in positions of authority over minors and other vulnerable populations, positions of trust, like letter carriers etc.

Any employer can ask for a Criminal Record Check to be done. There are different levels of record checks, but any employer has the right to ask for it.
MOST retail employers do not ask for it, because it would be much more difficult to find employees if they did.
Similar thing with restaurants.
This is BC I'm talking about. I don't know about other provinces.

Vulnerable sector checks are done when working with vulnerable people, and those are mandatory in order to work in those positions.

I have worked numerous different jobs in my life and only two have Ever asked for a Criminal Record Check. One was working with vulnerable people and the other was a tech company.

Last edited:
Buster Keaton, the Keystone Cops, Harry Houdini and Charlie Chaplin did all those dangerous stunts for real in the beginning of the last century, millions of movie goers flocked to watch them in the cinema every week. I don't see a relevance but it's often brought up as we move from generation to generation, that the music of the time, the current trend of movies or video games are to blame, that they're a bad influence.

Horror movies were/are often based on real sadistic crimes that were committed before video games and the internet were even invented. The mind of killers are wired differently due to various reasons, head trauma, nature/nuture etc. and these entertainment sources aid their fantasies, not imo, create them. It is fascinating to the outsider though, when 2 like minded individuals find each other and team up to kill. JMO

I completely understand your point. But with CGM, ultra-realism, little to no inhibitions in producing games and movies with a lot of death and destruction and a lack of comedic implications, I disagree that current action movies are comparable. Granted, movies have advanced technology that wasn't available a century ago and I understand the evolving cultures being a factor.

I mentioned that it brings to mind a visual for me, and I rarely watch movies (new OR old). I'm well aware of them, however.

If the movies and games containing death and destruction that are available today are indicative of current culture, that is a very scary proposition indeed, all things considered.

Also, I could be wrong but I don't think there were older teens going off the rails back then and performing mass shootings or ANY shootings with the frequency we see today, so there is the copycat factor.

Are the things seen in movies and on video games today influencers? I don't have the answer to that. But I DO know that tweens and teens get excited by this stuff; THAT I have seen first hand.

ETA It's another side of presumed innocence...

I posted it because it outlines Privacy regards to Criminal Records checks in general. BC is the only province I know of that has online criminal records and I’m curious why it’s not across the country because IMO it’s a good thing.

But as for minors, no Walmart and nobody has the right to access that because records everywhere are sealed. Having a record as a minor isn’t intended to reflect negatively on the adult throughout their life because it’s understood kids sometimes do stupid things. Therefore requesting a minor provide a Criminal Record Check is pointless.

Anyone else see a bit of contradiction ?

-- KM & BS end their lives off the beaten path as though they did not want to be found
---Yet they left final messages on their phone as though they expected to be found

About Youth Criminal Records in Canada, if either B or K had prior run-ins with police, why the information wouldn’t be released (nor provided to an employer) -

Having a Youth Record | Legal Rights for Youth

But it might explain why they fled rather than voluntarily contacting police when they were initially named missing persons, even before they knew they were being pursued.

Anyone else see a bit of contradiction ?

-- KM & BS end their lives off the beaten path as though they did not want to be found
---Yet they left final messages on their phone as though they expected to be found

I think they did not want to be caught and put in jail (separation from each other might have been a terrifying fate worse than death for them), but I think they DID want to be found.... of course, MOO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member