GUILTY TX - Former Dallas Police Officer Amber Guyger, indicted for Murder of Botham Shem Jean #7

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've just logged on and scrolled for about 10 minutes, and haven't seen this mentioned yet. In an article I just read, it said the judge is giving them an option for sentencing as little as 2 years. Is that right? I sure hope not! If she gets out in 2 years, I honestly believe she will be a danger to society.

Think they just said in court min 5-99 year sentence

I've just logged on and scrolled for about 10 minutes, and haven't seen this mentioned yet. In an article I just read, it said the judge is giving them an option for sentencing as little as 2 years. Is that right? I sure hope not! If she gets out in 2 years, I honestly believe she will be a danger to society.
The judge isn't giving this, it's in the statute. The judge is clarifying:
"(d) At the punishment stage of a trial, the defendant may raise the issue as to whether he caused the death under the immediate influence of sudden passion arising from an adequate cause. If the defendant proves the issue in the affirmative by a preponderance of the evidence, the offense is a felony of the second degree."​

PENAL CODE CHAPTER 19. CRIMINAL HOMICIDE

LaWanda Clark told jurors Wednesday during Guyger’s murder trial that she struggled with a crack cocaine addiction and that Guyger wrote her a ticket on the day of the drug bust.

Clark said Guyger treated her as a person, not as “an addict,” and said she is now sober.
———
12:35 p.m.
A high school friend who played in an all-female mariachi band with Amber Guyger says the former Dallas police officer feels “immense remorse” for fatally shooting a neighbor in his own apartment.

Maribel Chavez testified Wednesday that she met Guyger in ninth grade during orchestra practice. They later went on to play in a mariachi band, with Guyger playing violin and trumpet.

Chavez said Guyger is typically bubbly and extroverted, but that since she killed her neighbor, Botham Jean, in September 2018, “It’s like you shut her light off.”

She described her friend as selfless, caring and a protector of those around her.
———
12:25 p.m.
Officer Cathy Odhiambo,
who is black, described Guyger as a longtime friend and the “sweetest person.”

Odhiambo wasn’t asked about text messages introduced as evidence during the trial that indicated a lack of sensitivity by Guyger toward black people. However, another fellow officer, Thomas MacPherson, told jurors that some of those texts sounded “out of character” for Guyger.
———
11:35 a.m.
Karen Guyger
said Wednesday that Amber Guyger is the youngest of three children, and defense attorneys showed several family photos to the jury.

Upon questioning from defense attorneys, Karen Guyger testified that her daughter had been sexually assaulted by an adult male when she was a young child.
———
10:50 a.m.
Bertrum Jean
tearfully told jurors on Wednesday that after Botham left their home in St. Lucia for college in Arkansas, he would call home every Sunday after church.

Now, Bertrum Jean said,
“My Sundays have been destroyed.”

———
10:25 a.m.
Alexis Stossel
said Wednesday that she met Jean when they attended Harding University in Arkansas. She says she and Jean quickly became close friends, and they both moved to Dallas after graduating.

Stossel says Jean was the emcee at her wedding and was a natural leader whom people gravitated toward.

Stossel, who is white, also touched on Jean’s sense of humor, saying Jean always insisted that she refer to him as “my black friend Botham” when posting photos on social media.
———
10:15 a.m.
The judge in the trial of a Dallas police officer convicted of murder for killing her black neighbor in his home says the jury will get instruction on a legal defense that could reduce the officer’s sentencing range.

But Judge Tammy Kemp said Wednesday that jurors will receive written guidance on the law regarding a so-called “sudden passion defense.”

If the jury accepts that Guyger’s actions were taken in the heat of the moment, it could reduce the sentencing range to two to 20 years.
———
9:35 a.m.
It was unclear how long the punishment phase of the trial would last. Testimony began shortly after the verdict, starting with friends and family of the victim, Botham Jean.
The Latest: Ex-addict says Dallas cop helped her get sober

I guess Hermus is not involved at all with this phase. I'm really disappointed. I wanted him to close this out! Why bring in a whole new set of attorneys for this phase? Makes no sense.

Defense fought for sudden passion & won. Drops it down to 2nd degree felony. 2 years minimum....don’t know max

I’m slightly afraid to post my opinion because I know it is vastly different than others here but I don’t believe she needs to go away for life. She definitely needs to go away for a substantial period of time but I think she is someone who could be changed and come out a different person, a better person, and if she was a dangerous person before all this I don’t think, if she were to be free again one day, she would be considered dangerous in the same way. She won’t be a cop, she will be struggling to get on her feet, but I don’t think she’d ever repeat something like this again. Sorry

I guess Hermus is not involved at all with this phase. I'm really disappointed. I wanted him to close this out! Why bring in a whole new set of attorneys for this phase? Makes no sense.
oh I was waiting for the closer!
UKslueth2018, post: 15458159, member: 232264"]Time served??[/QUOTE]

The judge isn't giving this, it's in the statute. The judge is clarifying:
"(d) At the punishment stage of a trial, the defendant may raise the issue as to whether he caused the death under the immediate influence of sudden passion arising from an adequate cause. If the defendant proves the issue in the affirmative by a preponderance of the evidence, the offense is a felony of the second degree."​

PENAL CODE CHAPTER 19. CRIMINAL HOMICIDE
Don't worry a jury that took only a few hours to arrive at a verdict of murder is not going to let her off lightly.

So far I'm not hearing anything pro or con AG that would cause me to diverge much from the sentencing range I had in mind before we started the entire sentencing phase.

Frankly me neither. Unless there was evidence that she wanted to do this before she did and celebrated wildly after I still see this within a certain range regardless of her flaws or his strength of character.

Because for me it's mostly the crime and their actions and statements after the crime about the crimes that matter most want to come to sentencing for me. Also any past criminal history.

So what's been going on in the case? I've been sitting around in court waiting for paperwork with nothing to do but no Internet access inside the court room.

there is the other option but only if defense goes there and i don't think he is.

What other option?

I’m slightly afraid to post my opinion because I know it is vastly different than others here but I don’t believe she needs to go away for life. She definitely needs to go away for a substantial period of time but I think she is someone who could be changed and come out a different person, a better person, and if she was a dangerous person before all this I don’t think, if she were to be free again one day, she would be considered dangerous in the same way. She won’t be a cop, she will be struggling to get on her feet, but I don’t think she’d ever repeat something like this again. Sorry

I agree with you.

Don't ever be sorry for your own opinion... You are entitled to it xx

I don't think 99 or life.. I think she will get a seriously hard time in prison because she is cop.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa