CA CA - Barbara Thomas, 69, from Bullhead City AZ, disappeared in Mojave desert, 12 July 2019 #11

Status
Not open for further replies.
Depends on what you mean by "close." Not within 2 miles, I'd say (although they find obscure mines every once in a while). 5 miles, maybe. Again, though, presumably LE has timestamped pictures of Barbara's whereabouts and information from RT's phone (VI says LE took RT's phone). So if she "wandered off" someplace else, LE would at least check out other areas (if they chose to disregard RT's account of things).

It's granite bedrock in the area where they were hiking, so no mines right there and the soil is pretty shallow on top of that (so would be hard to dig IMO). Haven't had time to go out there since Barbara disappeared, but when we do go again this winter, we'll take a shovel and a topo map and see what it's like. I know that the eastern side of Kelbaker is more sandy/looser dirt. I love geology and rock collecting myself, which is our main reason for stopping there (we haven't stopped for a while, I know I've mentioned that we don't think it feels particularly safe out there).
Thanks! I guess by close I mean walking distance or within a mile or less.
But 2 or 3 miles is not that far if someone got lost or actually walked in that direction instead of walking to the rock formations. If it's 5 miles I would think it would be too far.
It would be much easier looking at a map, the one I saw showed where all the mines were but I don't know the location of the rock formations or where the RV was parked because I don't know the area.
All the mines are named, so if we knew which ones were closest it might be easier to tell. Imo

What If something happened prior to the gas station stop.. ?
Are there any mines or other isolated spots along both of these routes ?

Google Maps

Thank You @PaulR ..Using the map provided..
I see road access to the Dead Mountains Wilderness Area, it runs in a loop and a mine dead center of the loop ?

Last edited:
USGS has data on this, at least the ones we know about. "Symbols indicating mining-related features digitized from historical USGS topographic maps in the western part of the conterminous US. Includes prospect pits, mine shafts and adits, quarries, open-pit mines, tailings piles and ponds, gravel and borrow pits, and other features." The KML files can be downloaded and viewed with Google Earth.

Prospect- and mine-related features on USGS topographic maps

Attaching a screenshot of the area around where BT went missing.
Wow, thanks! There are so many. I can't tell what the distance is, though. I guess it must be about five miles to the nearest site. Imo

In the direction that search teams were launched.. Kelbaker road does not appear to have mines. The Big Horn mine would be far and hard to access.
Also the open rock pit closer to highway 40.. I do not believe RT could access that with his truck and trailer. But they both could have walked there on a rock hunt and then something happened and BT was left there... That would be pretty callus on his part.. Then he sends the search party out further up the road.

Now Kelbaker on the other side of Highway 40 has mines.. All the way to Highway 66

Last edited:
Partly graphic description following :

Let's say the mystery kidnapper said to Barbara, "Look, there's this unique rock formation and pieces of that wood you like to collect; Ill lead you to it."
Then, he strikes her hard enough to be sure she's deceased, then dumps her into a mine which is a short distance from where he led her.
Not that we're certain a shadowy figure abducted her-- but since RT himself put that theory out as the best possible scenario; we will go with it.
It's also the most victim-friendly story.

When Erin Corwin was found, there were no vultures leading the searchers to the right mine pit.
They went through many, many mines until they found her.
Partly mummified maybe ?
But would bringing out HRD dogs be enough to find a scent ?
Because with the time that's passed, she may never be discovered.

And afaik, RT didn't produce a shoe or sock for the sar dogs-- so is there anything at their home to help the dogs search ?
Or did he ?
If so, I missed that.
Or have all of her belongings been tossed ?
Some spouses in the "grieving" stage (again being victim friendly) cannot bear to see items left behind of a missing person who they think is deceased.
MOO

Last edited:
Depends on what you mean by "close." Not within 2 miles, I'd say (although they find obscure mines every once in a while). 5 miles, maybe. Again, though, presumably LE has timestamped pictures of Barbara's whereabouts and information from RT's phone (VI says LE took RT's phone). So if she "wandered off" someplace else, LE would at least check out other areas (if they chose to disregard RT's account of things).

It's granite bedrock in the area where they were hiking, so no mines right there and the soil is pretty shallow on top of that (so would be hard to dig IMO). Haven't had time to go out there since Barbara disappeared, but when we do go again this winter, we'll take a shovel and a topo map and see what it's like. I know that the eastern side of Kelbaker is more sandy/looser dirt. I love geology and rock collecting myself, which is our main reason for stopping there (we haven't stopped for a while, I know I've mentioned that we don't think it feels particularly safe out there).
Just wondering.. Why does it feel unsafe ??

Like I see road access to the Dead Mountains Wilderness Area ?

Google Maps

I've been thinking about the same thing. Or just after the gas station stop.

Still waiting for action from LE. Dead Mo

Google Maps

Thank You @PaulR ..Using the map provided..
I see road access to the Dead Mountains Wilderness Area, it runs in a loop and a mine dead center of the loop ?

Very isolated. And at lower altitude than the Kelbaker area (so hotter too). You'd certainly want to get there and out of there by noon, I'd think.

I think it might still take quite a bit of effort to get to that mine.

Last edited:
Just wondering.. Why does it feel unsafe ??

It feels "unsafe" just because of the desolation. And spotty cellphone bars, if any. You really understand that if you fall, have an accident, you are 100% on your own. People make light of this, as they speed through the area on the highway at 80 mph. But if your car dies, it could be awhile before anyone comes by.

And if someone unfriendly comes upon you...there are not a lot of options.

Desert Mines & Mills

https://www.nps.gov/moja/planyourvisit/upload/MOJAmap1.pdf

Roadside Camping - Mojave National Preserve (U.S. National Park Service)

Mojave National Preserve Camping: 14 Campgrounds in Mojave National Preserve - Campendium

AZ - AZ - Barbara Thomas, 69, Timeline, Media, Maps, *NO DISCUSSION*

More links in threads 1 and 2. MOO
Robbie told me there were no mines in the area when I last spoke to him two weeks ago. He described the earth as unfit for mining. Don't remember how he described it exactly, but he made it sound like he knew what he was talking about, including the general geology of the area.

I'm not sure, but I think Barbara dropped the dog off at the kennel and then went back to the house and they left from the home. I'm pretty sure the neighbor saw them leave. Imo
Thank you again MsBetsy.

Does anyone know if the kennel was in the opposite direction of where they would head to Kelbaker? I'm working on a little theory here. TIA.

Amateur opinion and speculation

ETA - I thought Barb didn't drive? How could she drop the dog off at the kennel? Perhaps I have the Barb not being a driver wrong?

Thank you again MsBetsy.

Does anyone know if the kennel was in the opposite direction of where they would head to Kelbaker? I'm working on a little theory here. TIA.

ETA - I thought Barb didn't drive? How could she drop the dog off at the kennel? Perhaps I have the Barb not being a driver wrong?
I can’t recall if Barb couldn’t or didn’t drive, but if RT was driving, he could have just waited in the car while she took the dog inside.

I can’t recall if Barb couldn’t or didn’t drive, but if RT was driving, he could have just waited in the car while she took the dog inside.
Ok. Well according to best accounts I have read on this thread, last confirmed sighting of Barb was on the neighbors cam that morning. We have no confirmation as to whether the photo of Barb taken later that day has been verified.
There has been no reports of foul play to date. No signs of blood or struggle that we know of. Just poof!

With the weather cooling, searches will be easier, and mines should be included in that using drop cams.

I believe the account about the kennel where Lexie was left at is genuine.
The last verified sighting was the dog kennel, according to the kennel staff.
They said Barbara was visibly 'annoyed' or 'aggravated'.

Agreed with the OP about the mines needing to be searched.

If Barbara doesn't drive, is that by choice? Or yet another restriction put on Barbara by 'some other party'?
We know that she had no cell phone, no personal Email, and that Robert Thomas monitored her phone calls by insisting they were on speaker.
The above information came from the VI, I believe.
Please correct me if necessary. I believe that information was on one of the early threads.
Thinking of you, Barbara -

If Barbara doesn't drive, is that by choice? Or yet another restriction put on Barbara by 'some other party'?
We know that she had no cell phone, no personal Email, and that Robert Thomas monitored her phone calls by insisting they were on speaker.
The above information came from the VI, I believe.
Please correct me if necessary. I believe that information was on one of the early threads.
Thinking of you, Barbara -
Lav. bolding mine.

You're correct.
Our VI has had much to say about RT.
Most of what we know not only related to the 'disappearance', but past interactions come from the VI.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member