NE NE - Chance Englebert, 25, Gering, 6 July 2019 (new father)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am thinking the same, it’s just been too long...

With that said though, without knowing the entire drama he could have been going through (very tight lipped) it’s not impossible that he did finally get ahold of one friend that could get him, explained why he needed to get out of his life and then ghosts on everyone for 3+ months? Given the situation the friend might understand and decide to comply with helping him disappear for awhile.. if a rumor once posted happens to be true.. maybe he has a reason to be angry with his own family too.
Were the ever able to question EVERY friend he had called up that night?

Leave your wife, fine, but desert your blood family? Seems extreme. I know it happens. I just don't understand it. And how long can he stay hidden? He's going to have to earn money eventually, and either he has to make up an SSN or tell the truth and wouldn't that ping LE?

I am thinking the same, it’s just been too long...

With that said though, without knowing the entire drama he could have been going through (very tight lipped) it’s not impossible that he did finally get ahold of one friend that could get him, explained why he needed to get out of his life and then ghosts on everyone for 3+ months? Given the situation the friend might understand and decide to comply with helping him disappear for awhile.. if a rumor once posted happens to be true.. maybe he has a reason to be angry with his own family too.
Were the ever able to question EVERY friend he had called up that night?
I just can't see him deserting his wife, a new baby, his mother, his brother, a new job, his home, etc. over an argument.

I think he wanted to go home and was figuring it out along the way when he either had some kind of accident - likely water-related - or met with foul play. JMO

From what I have read there is a chance he took off. Family expectation from both sides plus what he probably was was putting on himself. We can be our toughest critic. He would know a lot of people. Could of got help from someone. It would be easy for him to get work and paid under the table. Maybe now he just doesn't know how to come back home. Jmo

From what I have read there is a chance he took off. Family expectation from both sides plus what he probably was was putting on himself. We can be our toughest critic. He would know a lot of people. Could of got help from someone. It would be easy for him to get work and paid under the table. Maybe now he just doesn't know how to come back home. Jmo
If only....
: (

If only....
: (
He seemed to have been challenged in every aspect of his life in the months leading up to this walk.
He met his wife to be in January of 2018.
He was married nine months later.
He was a father six months after that.
He was laid off from his mining job about four months after that.
He had just spent a week in a small house in Gering with his in-laws.
An afternoon of arguments culminating with an argument with wife.
That is a scenario of building tensions. Underlying all of these facts are all of the family dynamics we are not privy to.

He seemed to have been challenged in every aspect of his life in the months leading up to this walk.
He met his wife to be in January of 2018.
He was married nine months later.
He was a father six months after that.
He was laid off from his mining job about four months after that.
He had just spent a week in a small house in Gering with his in-laws.
An afternoon of arguments culminating with an argument with wife.
That is a scenario of building tensions. Underlying all of these facts are all of the family dynamics we are not privy to.
Yes, life piled things on him, for sure. However, his family appears very solid, and so did he. This is why I am strongly leaning to the accidental death theory, especially since alcohol was involved? Nothing good comes of quarreling with in-laws and alcohol.

I’m a hard nut, but this case really bothers me. Such a seemingly great family, lovely young bride, and beautiful baby boy. Ugh....

Amateur opinion and speculation

So after more outside discussion, I even more so believe that he did want to ghost, the only drama we are allowed to discuss is the argument, which I think is the “straw that broke the camels back” so to speak. It’s my belief that he felt betrayed by EVERYONE in his life, both existing family as well as his new family. I think his life was kind of a mess and he had to make an exit.

TBH I stopped talking to my family for about 6 months, granted they knew I was alive and knew I was mad at them for not supporting important things, but I get it. (We’re better than ever now!)
Given what I *think* happened in his situation, id leave everyone too.
At least we can only hope this is what happened because it has the best outcome!!

I just can't see him deserting his wife, a new baby, his mother, his brother, a new job, his home, etc. over an argument.

I think he wanted to go home and was figuring it out along the way when he either had some kind of accident - likely water-related - or met with foul play. JMO
I can't see it, either.

He either died in an accidental drowning, or he met up with foul play.

If he is alive, I will be over joyed for him and his family.

Walking away sometimes is necessary, for myself that was the case. I can not speak for Chance, I hope he has, and I understand. It has been many years,, and many miles later for me and I have no regrets and hopefully one day he will be found. MOO

LE in Gering have been receiving and following up on tips that are received.
Is it a common practice by LE to put up a big map of the states around western Nebraska, for instance, and put push pins in the areas of the investigated tips , or even the area of received but uninvestigated tips, to see if there is a trail or pattern to the calls. For example, a trail of sightings that lead toward Montana.
If there was a trail, it would certainly help family and friends to consider the direction he is traveling.

Has anyone heard if this is a common practice by LE ?

Last edited:
What I can't understand is why they haven't come up with alternative theories re the water and where the water may have taken him. I still feel strongly that he was overtaken by a quickly rising Platte River and was carried off.

What I can't understand is why they haven't come up with alternative theories re the water and where the water may have taken him. I still feel strongly that he was overtaken by a quickly rising Platte River and was carried off.
Google Maps
This is the bridge he would have crossed after the storm, based on the report of the woman who saw him head across the river. ( this report was later discounted by LE) I doubt the river would rise that much after the storm to wash him off the bridge because it would have been reported because of the car/truck traffic.
He might have left the roadway and walked down closer to the shore line, but why would he do that, he was trying to get back to Torrington/Gering.

The other area he could have been carried away by the river is if he had walked up Owl Road a distance, because that road comes to the river's edge and the river is at road level.
Just some thoughts.

Google Maps
This is the bridge he would have crossed after the storm, based on the report of the woman who saw him head across the river. ( this report was later discounted by LE) I doubt the river would rise that much after the storm to wash him off the bridge because it would have been reported because of the car/truck traffic.
He might have left the roadway and walked down closer to the shore line, but why would he do that, he was trying to get back to Torrington/Gering.

The other area he could have been carried away by the river is if he had walked up Owl Road a distance, because that road comes to the river's edge and the river is at road level.
Just some thoughts.
Some very good thoughts. It seemed the phone pinged in the area of owl road. That is quite close to the Platte.
Rivers can rise so quickly and before you know it, you're right in it. He may have been near that canal at one time but he may have moved on. I don't really know what happens to a body if it is swept away, but I'd look down river. Perhaps there will be a drought this winter thru summer. I know the Platte isn't terribly deep and maybe it will be easier to search later on.

Walking away sometimes is necessary, for myself that was the case. I can not speak for Chance, I hope he has, and I understand. It has been many years,, and many miles later for me and I have no regrets and hopefully one day he will be found. MOO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dont4get